Tropical Fish Page 8

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Next
  • tidy-spidey 23 Apr 2013 12:18:53 3 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    at one time, I had 8 fish tanks ranging from tropical to coldwater (never could afford Marine!)... the biggest of which was 100gallon. However, we had to downsize massively when buying our first house and having our first baby, so now we have one single 60 gallon tank left, and it contains our Axolotls - 12 of them in total, of which we raised every single one of them from eggs. We have every colour of them going, except for Xanthic (blue) which are crazy rare.
  • kalel 7 Jul 2014 14:43:09 86,437 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *BUMP*

My green hair algae is back with a vengeance. I'm now convinced it's because of the amount of light in summer, and thus there's seemingly fuck all I can do about it apart from constantly cleaning my tank all summer and waiting for the dark days to return.

Anyone else get this?
  • Blakester 7 Jul 2014 14:49:50 3,580 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    *BUMP*

My green hair algae is back with a vengeance. I'm now convinced it's because of the amount of light in summer, and thus there's seemingly fuck all I can do about it apart from constantly cleaning my tank all summer and waiting for the dark days to return.

Anyone else get this?
    I've got a marine tank and the algae has been particularly bad over the past 4 weeks even though I'm cleaning regularly and doing a 20% water change every fortnight. It's not hair algae though, it's brown and pink algae spots on the glass that need scraping off.

Bought a lawnmover blenny and he destroyed the hair algae in a matter of days. :)

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 7 Jul 2014 15:07:13 86,437 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I could get another snail but they bring their own problems. It's annoying as I thought I'd finally got my tank balance absolutely perfect, but i guess there's no such thing.
  • EMarkM 7 Jul 2014 22:46:14 3,173 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep; green hair in our marine tank, mainly from sunlight I reckon.

Getting some blinds for the windows, not switching the tank lights on at all, and just constantly pulling the stuff out.

The trop tank had a dose of blanket algae a few years ago, but bristlenoses sorted that out, no problem.

There doesn't seem to be a problem-free marine algae eater; we've tried crabs, lemon peel tang and gobies. No joy.

Good luck.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Next