Getting rid of Sky services Page 2

  • Page

    of 22 First / Last

  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 14:48:37 10,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Dougs and that's definitely a factor. If you use those exclusive channels then of course you won't want to move. I've noticed I don't, so...

    I need to look into these Sky sports day passes. I have my mum and dad over every now and then when Spurs and Man U are on Super Sunday. It's always a nice afternoon. Would miss that. If the day pass lets me watch that a few times a year then it's still a massive saving.
  • Load_2.0 19 Mar 2014 14:49:26 25,911 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hah! I hated BT bills fucking mad.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:50:37 84,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    iancognito wrote:
    Is it because of the adverts? The sexy student ones have really alienated me.

    I never used to understand BT bills. They had a weird way of showing credit, debt and direct debits as separate things which never made much sense. I paid by DD so didn't worry about it too much but I never really understood my bill.
    Nah, just every physical product I've bought from them has fallen apart and I've heard some horrendous stories about the BT Vision box (sure it has improved now...). And actually getting anything fixed if it goes wrong is a nightmare (not that all telcos aren't like this mind). I guess I'm loathe to change. Would do it readily if I don't get the same offer next year though
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 14:53:13 10,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And that's the other thing, Dougs, the fact that with Sky I know everything is quality. I rarely have problems and I feel like my products are best in class. Makes it really hard to change.

    But yeah, £90 vs £41.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 14:53:16
    I just prefer buying/renting a series of a show and watching it uninterrupted by ads. Plus, Sky has an awful lot of channels showing repeats and poor shows I'd never watch.

    Thought I would miss it, but I really haven't.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:55:11 84,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @Dougs and that's definitely a factor. If you use those exclusive channels then of course you won't want to move. I've noticed I don't, so...

    I need to look into these Sky sports day passes. I have my mum and dad over every now and then when Spurs and Man U are on Super Sunday. It's always a nice afternoon. Would miss that. If the day pass lets me watch that a few times a year then it's still a massive saving.
    I think it's only Atlantic and Living that we watch (well, the missus the latter). Be interesting to see what BT do when the start showing the CL. Can't for a minute think they will offer it free, even to bb subs....
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 14:57:01 10,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I actually assumed it would just appear on BT Sport. Maybe that's a little naive of me.

    Fuck it. I'm going to do it. If I miss it that much I can always come back in 12-18 months.
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 14:57:01
    Dougs wrote:
    And the big one missing for me is Sky Atlantic....
    £5 a month on NowTV. You get Sky1, Atlantic, Discovery etc. Ten channels that you can watch live or catch up.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2014 14:57:01 72,328 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im considering binning virgin purely so we dont have E! anymore. Fuck that stupid channel.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 14:58:01 84,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    binky wrote:
    And that's the other thing, Dougs, the fact that with Sky I know everything is quality. I rarely have problems and I feel like my products are best in class. Makes it really hard to change.

    But yeah, £90 vs £41.
    Indeed. I'll re-assess when my 50% offer is up, as at the moment, the extra £20 for a decent service, SS, exclusive channels is worth it. Just about anyway!
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 14:58:01 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    binky wrote:
    I need to look into these Sky sports day passes. I have my mum and dad over every now and then when Spurs and Man U are on Super Sunday. It's always a nice afternoon. Would miss that. If the day pass lets me watch that a few times a year then it's still a massive saving.
    They always look like bad value to me £9.99 for 24 hours. Unless I'm missing something with special offers, it's not much more to subscribe for the month.
  • binky Moderator 19 Mar 2014 15:02:36 10,838 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    iancognito wrote:
    binky wrote:
    I need to look into these Sky sports day passes. I have my mum and dad over every now and then when Spurs and Man U are on Super Sunday. It's always a nice afternoon. Would miss that. If the day pass lets me watch that a few times a year then it's still a massive saving.
    They always look like bad value to me £9.99 for 24 hours. Unless I'm missing something with special offers, it's not much more to subscribe for the month.
    You can never just sub for the month though, that's the thing. With Sky, if you take a sub to anything you then have to give 30 days notice and they terminate the sub the moment you call up and cancel. So effectively you'll always be charged one month extra without being able to watch it.

    That's their policy at the moment anyway.

    If I was to take 10 day passes throughout the year that's £100. Still a much cheaper way of enjoying the odd super sunday with my folks, especially if we spread the cost.

    (That's assuming he does away with Sky sports. He's been threatening to for 3 years) ;)
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 15:03:13
    Dougs wrote:
    :D They offered me very little to stay on the phone, but inundated me by post...
    They've been sending my flat offers for the previous owner for nearly a year now. Despite me being a Sky subscriber in the very flat they're targeting!

    Special needs marketing.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2014 15:05:41 72,328 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thats actually the thing thats going to end up swaying it for me.

    Netflix, freeview and something I can pay for on an adhoc basis would be ideal.
  • elstoof 19 Mar 2014 15:10:48 19,158 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    :D They offered me very little to stay on the phone, but inundated me by post...
    They've been sending my flat offers for the previous owner for nearly a year now. Despite me being a Sky subscriber in the very flat they're targeting!

    Special needs marketing.
    When my wife and I moved in together we both had our own tv licenses, so cancelled one of them. Then the threatening letters came: "our records show you no longer have a license and we know you have a tv in there!"
  • Deleted user 19 March 2014 15:18:21
    Haha, that's a nice way of putting it.

    If I remember correctly, having a TV doesn't matter anyway. You only need a licence if your watching live TV.

    Edited by Adv at 15:20:29 19-03-2014
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2014 15:18:48 84,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    And the big one missing for me is Sky Atlantic....
    £5 a month on NowTV. You get Sky1, Atlantic, Discovery etc. Ten channels that you can watch live or catch up.
    Yeah, that's not bad at all. Now if they added SS to that, then I might be interested....
  • AceGrace 19 Mar 2014 15:22:51 3,154 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got off the phone to Virgin and now my bill is £49.99 + calls.

    Dropped the phone to basic package (weekend calls to landlines free), dropped to 50mb broadband from 60mb and kept the XL TV Package.

    Saving £30 a month now. Thats more like it.

    Spoke to a really good man that advised dropping to basic phone package because our usage is minimal but advised that if our calls get to £10 regularly, it is worth going back up to unlimited because that would cost only £8 more.

    The biggest saving was dropping to 50mb broadband which based on my usage doesn't make any difference to me.

    Also now I am on a years discount and the XL tv package is costing me less than the L package.

    :-)

    Edited by AceGrace at 15:23:07 19-03-2014
  • iancognito 19 Mar 2014 15:26:33 2,476 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    With the day passes, if you do keep it to a very small number then you would save money. I always wonder how well people manage that, or whether it's a cunning Sky trick to lure you in. When I first heard Sky advertising them I naively imagined it'd be about £3-4 a day.

    I think I really went off Sky Sports when things like Setanta came in. Got fed up of seeing an interesting looking game on, then finding out I wouldn't be getting it on Sky. Either I had to get Setanta too or I'd miss out on a big percentage of good games. I guess that's now happening with BT Sport.

    Edited by iancognito at 15:49:03 19-03-2014
  • Flying_Pig 23 Jun 2014 11:20:58 15,569 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I've just cancelled my Sky Sub (had it free for a year and barely watched it, so there's no way I'll pay for it), and they've said that the box and dish are mine. Well, I don't want 'em, so can I actually sell them? What's my best bet and how much do they go for?
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 11:28:37
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    So I've just cancelled my Sky Sub (had it free for a year and barely watched it, so there's no way I'll pay for it), and they've said that the box and dish are mine. Well, I don't want 'em, so can I actually sell them? What's my best bet and how much do they go for?
    I got £120 for the Sky HD box I had when I cancelled it all 3 years ago. Check ebay
  • Flying_Pig 23 Jun 2014 14:07:46 15,569 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    So I've just cancelled my Sky Sub (had it free for a year and barely watched it, so there's no way I'll pay for it), and they've said that the box and dish are mine. Well, I don't want 'em, so can I actually sell them? What's my best bet and how much do they go for?
    I got £120 for the Sky HD box I had when I cancelled it all 3 years ago. Check ebay
    Hmmm - a quick glance at ebay suggests I'd be lucky to even get a quarter of that...
  • Dougs 23 Jun 2014 14:19:15 84,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just use it as a freeview HD box. Still going to get a better pic and the 8 free HD channels. Unless your TV is FreeviewHD....
  • President_Weasel 23 Jun 2014 14:23:49 12,339 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BT are a shower, an absolute shower.
    Murdoch may be genuinely evil but at least he makes the trains run on time (or the connecty-uppy people show up the day they say they will).
    That said, I'm with Virgin.
  • greenthumb 23 Jun 2014 14:25:44 551 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AceGrace you should have a word with Virgin. I have the same package as you but with the 152mb broadband and my bill is just under £60 a month...

    TV XL
    152mb BB
    Unlimited phone

    Edited by greenthumb at 14:28:33 23-06-2014
  • Deleted user 23 June 2014 14:35:23
    Dougs wrote:
    Just use it as a freeview HD box. Still going to get a better pic and the 8 free HD channels. Unless your TV is FreeviewHD....
    When I had mine no sub meant no HD channels (even free ones) and no recording.
  • AceGrace 23 Jun 2014 14:40:51 3,154 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @greenthumb Interesting. I might just have to make that phone call.

    Where abouts in the UK are you? Are you an existing customer. Perhaps they do regional deals.
  • Dougs 23 Jun 2014 14:42:40 84,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:

    When I had mine no sub meant no HD channels (even free ones) and no recording.
    Definitely no recording, but I unsubbed last year for a few months and the free HD channels worked fine for me.
  • Flying_Pig 23 Jun 2014 14:50:50 15,569 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Just use it as a freeview HD box. Still going to get a better pic and the 8 free HD channels. Unless your TV is FreeviewHD....
    Thanks for the tip, but my TV is freeview HD and I also have a seperate Freeview HD recorder...

    One of the reasons we didn't use the Sky box when I was subscribed was the hassle of using it when there was little to watch on the dedicated Sky channels (now that GoT has finished).
  • greenthumb 23 Jun 2014 20:46:11 551 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AceGrace I'm in Hertfordshire mate. I was an existing customer since October last year
  • Page

    of 22 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.