The official Red Dwarf thread \o/ Page 34

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• Ka-blamo 4 Oct 2012 22:58:04 7,280 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The moose gag had me fearing the worst, they took that joke down an unsaveable road that had me cringing.

But it got it's pay off with Cat interrupting Rimmer with "was he swedish?" About 20 mins later.

Rimmers brother calling him a twat was funny and the 'hosed him down and put a hat on him' was brilliant.

This just needs a more adventurous script and tighter jokes and I don't see why this can't be great again.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2012 22:59:33 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    Anyone know where i can watch this as i dont have Dave?
    Usual shady places will have it up tonight I guess ibenam, the series is on DVD and Blu in mid November to so not too long away.

Edited by bad09 at 23:00:30 04-10-2012
  • neilka 4 Oct 2012 23:02:45 15,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think it's possible to not have Dave is it?
  • thedaveeyres 4 Oct 2012 23:07:42 10,684 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought this was as good as its been since they got Chloe Whatshername in and spoiled it.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• neilka 4 Oct 2012 23:08:21 15,623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://video.uktv.co.uk/dave/red-dwarf/series-10/episode-1
  • ibenam 4 Oct 2012 23:22:05 1,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @neilka Thanks alot, will post my thoughts in half an hour!
  • johnson81 4 Oct 2012 23:27:47 373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @neilka

On Freesat it is.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2012 23:29:28 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just been reading the RD forums to see what people think over there and suddenly reading one post the gives a theory to the weirdness like Rimmers brother and the human serving simulant. Is it possible the Quantum rod on the damaged Trojan "connected" Rimmer with his brother in the past somehow and there are actually on their way back to Earth in the past?
  • ibenam 4 Oct 2012 23:36:34 1,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ibenam 4 Oct 2012 23:38:16 1,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My post came up twice then i deleted one, it refreshed then they both dissapeared.

\shakes fist
  • ED209 4 Oct 2012 23:45:24 505 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    1000 fucking posts on this shit

/checks

/ wins thread \o/

Edited by ED209 at 23:46:32 04-10-2012

Samantha Janus?

• ZuluHero 4 Oct 2012 23:57:29 4,011 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoyed it, made me laugh quite a few times. Though just watching some of the older episodes shown after it shows how good it used to be.

Still, looking forward to next week. It made me happy for 30 minutes and i'ts probably as close as they're going to get to how it was in its hay day.
  • ED209 5 Oct 2012 00:01:19 505 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So just to gauge the consensus of opinion of this thread without reading all 999 other comments.... Are we all of the opinion that the original series were good in their day, but the newer-old ones, where they changed the film type/canned laughter were a hatefuck abomination.

/stands in doorway

Samantha Janus?

• binky Moderator 5 Oct 2012 08:49:09 9,402 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bloody loved Red Dwarf back in the day. First discovered it as Series 3 was airing in 1989.
    Series 1-6 have a special place in my heart but 7, 8 and 9 were just unfunny abominations that spent too much time trying to be sci-fi first and sit-com second. It was also really evident that they were trying to sell the show to the US.

Last night felt like a return to form. Some gags missed but I think the majority hit. I don't think it set out to make new fans, but anyone that enjoyed the stuff from 1988 - 1993 should definitely give it a chance.
  • warlockuk 5 Oct 2012 09:17:26 19,131 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    I don't think it's possible to not have Dave is it?
    You can't get it on Freeview where I live...

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• nickthegun 5 Oct 2012 09:23:08 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was OK, certainly better than I expected. It wasnt really fair to follow it up with one of the classics, though,

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• bad09 5 Oct 2012 09:30:29 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    According to someone on the official forums the first episode is considered the weakest one of the new series, not sure where he got that info or who has said it but it's possible the rest of the series will improve on last nights OK start.
  • nickthegun 5 Oct 2012 09:33:20 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It might be being shown out of order since that guardian article said something about the dissolving universe was addressed at the end of the first episode and it clearly wasnt.

He totally called it

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 09:45:04
    Yeah, that wasn't totally awful. I'll watch another one. It was certainly better than that 3part abomination.

That hose down hat joke did make me giggle. More of that please.

I'd say that everyone was pretty good apart from Lister. I agree with a few of you on here that said he wasn't the same but I was actively looking for it after reading the opinion here.
  • nickthegun 5 Oct 2012 09:52:40 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its stupid picking holes in the plot but I couldnt help but wonder why he was on hold when everyone in the universe is dead and why the sim wanted to throw off the oppression of man when everyone in the universe is dead.

He totally called it

• bad09 5 Oct 2012 09:58:46 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its stupid picking holes in the plot but I couldnt help but wonder why he was on hold when everyone in the universe is dead and why the sim wanted to throw off the oppression of man when everyone in the universe is dead.
    Well for a start no one is dead, they've bumped into many races and people over the series.

The Shopping channel though is run by droids who are just carrying on trying to sell even though no one is buying.

The sim is a weird one indeed but best guess is the theory I read and posted last night When Rimmer messes with it the Quantum rod it either sent them into the past to Rimmers brother and the sim or brought them into the future. Still doesn't explain why they didn't react at all to a sim on board bit of a poorly written episode really unless things are made apparent later on.

Edited by bad09 at 09:59:32 05-10-2012
  • nickthegun 5 Oct 2012 10:02:26 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, thats true. Theres plenty of aliens out there, its just man thats had it.

I did like the way that the sim very deliberately shot out all the teleporters, so that closed the door on that one.

He totally called it

• bad09 5 Oct 2012 10:06:22 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well we don't know mankind is dead to be fair, it's just Red Dwarf was out there for so long it's more than likely man has gone.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 10:13:11 7,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You should pick holes, because old RD would have explained them. Why was there a robot shopping channel still operating millions of years in the future, what was going on with Rimmer's brother, why did nobody seem that surprised that anyone was still alive at that time or that Howard Rimmer and a simulant had just teleported in out of nowhere?

The quantum rod seems like a good reason for Rimmer's brother suddenly appearing, but they should have had some dialogue about it. All it'd have taken is Kryten saying that the rod must have connected Rimmer to his brother across space and time. As it was it just seemed like they wanted to make some more jokes about Rimmer being a loser and have an excuse for the crew to do a Star Trek parody.

Similarly, the robot shopping channel would only have needed a line about how it's an automated outpost that's kept itself operating without human intervention.

Any explanation would have helped the limp plot. It would have been a silly pseudo-scientific explanation, but it would have made sense in context, and Red Dwarf used to be good at this. Take the stasis leak ep, for example. The time hole thing was (scientifically) nonsensical but it was clearly defined and utilised for a decent story with some good jokes.
  • PearOfAnguish 5 Oct 2012 10:29:08 7,135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know how vacuums have bags? It turns out mechanoids do too.
  • the_dudefather 5 Oct 2012 10:29:17 9,177 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Will they ever explain the state of Kryten's face though?
    The cold, relentlessness march of time

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• bad09 5 Oct 2012 10:31:26 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Will they ever explain the state of Kryten's face though?
    Supposedly it's the new way of doing his makeup, it saves him sitting there for hours like before...but looks bloody awful instead.
  • S.J.Rogers 5 Oct 2012 10:44:21 3,557 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked it too.

It had a real old Red Dwarf feel and i think it could get much better as the series moves along.

The "hosed him down and put on a hat" line was brilliant..!

With this and a new Bottom series next year, things could well be looking up for TV again. More shows like these and LESS, dancing, singing and other awfull crap would be a great thing indeed..!
  • Whizzo 5 Oct 2012 10:46:23 43,031 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Oh yeah, thats true. Theres plenty of aliens out there, its just man thats had it.
    I don't want to be that guy, but I will, there's never been a single alien in Red Dwarf. Every single life form they've encountered has been the result of human creation.

It's probably one of the bleakest SF universes ever created and that's for a comedy.

As for last nights episode, I thought it was very good, a real return to what made RD good in the first place, 4 idiots buggering about in space.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 41 First / Last