The official Red Dwarf thread \o/ Page 30

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• dsmx 16 Dec 2011 16:55:50 7,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it's short but we do have a glimpse of series 10, sort of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xax1L2sZb6Y&list=UUZV3PKbGgJNJSXoDsX

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• HoriZon 16 Dec 2011 17:15:59 13,461 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So what is it?

I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee.

• Deleted user 16 December 2011 17:17:09
    Chris Barrie isn't looking well.
  • dsmx 16 Dec 2011 17:18:02 7,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chris Barrie will be 52 next year.

But all I want out of this series really is for them to end it properly just for some closure.

Edited by dsmx at 17:26:43 16-12-2011

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• neilka 3 Feb 2012 19:12:52 14,967 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • Chopsen 3 Feb 2012 19:27:06 15,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    all I want out of this series really is for them to end it properly just for some closure.
    Yeah, but that horse has bolted a good number of series ago.
  • neilka 21 Jul 2012 02:09:05 14,967 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Hmm.
  • Articulate-Troll 21 Jul 2012 03:55:08 3,104 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Let it die.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2012 03:59:07
    Shit no.
  • mal 21 Jul 2012 04:42:05 22,008 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks surprisingly alrightish to me, and reminiscent of series old. Trouble is, it's hard to watch it now knowing what a massive bell end Craig Charles is.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dirtbox 21 Jul 2012 05:13:28 76,372 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Middle age never seemed less attractive.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• hiddenranbir 21 Jul 2012 17:22:00 5,744 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well it never really changed, perhaps it wasn't really all that good to begin with.
  • Deleted user 21 July 2012 17:31:41
    mal wrote:
    Looks surprisingly alrightish to me, and reminiscent of series old. Trouble is, it's hard to watch it now knowing what a massive bell end Craig Charles is.
    Stop reading Ok magazine.
  • mal 21 Jul 2012 17:36:33 22,008 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, it definitely went shit when half the writing team left the other half to write it singlehanded. That was shit. This looks...better than that, although from the comments above, it probably helps that I'm watching in SD.

Edit: @Chopsen I was going by his 6music show actually. The cock.

Edited by mal at 17:37:50 21-07-2012

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• skuzzbag 21 Jul 2012 17:47:21 5,487 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Well it never really changed, perhaps it wasn't really all that good to begin with.
    You're wrong.

You're in the wrong thread.
  • infoxicated 21 Jul 2012 18:55:10 1,023 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me it was on shaky ground when Ed Bye left, but really lost the edge when Rob Grant called it quits. Once Doug Naylor was driving the story lines it was just so hit and miss - mostly misses for me. I didn't like Naylor's Last Human book at all - it was bleak, dark, and bereft of the situational comedy that brought the characters to life.

Last night after watching the new trailer I watched Backwards just for the hell of it and everything about it outshines all of Naylor's series VII, except for maybe Tikka to Ride. Naylor took a walk off the reservation that whole series, with back-references to the glory days (Ace Rimmer) and while I doff my cap at what he tried to do with series VIII, I just never felt as fond of those last two "proper" series' as I do of those before them.

I'm afraid the trailer for RD X just highlighted how old they've all got. I turned 40 a week ago, yet I was still at school when the first series aired - it's just impossible for them to maintain the level they were at two decades ago, especially after the material from the first books ran out.

All my favourite series' have run their course eventually - some at least bow out on a high, whilst others (The X-Files) maybe over stay their welcome.

I do hope series X of Red Dwarf is a return to form, if only so that they can go out on a high and call it a day.
  • Brave_Dave 21 Jul 2012 20:31:24 109 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Could be good, holding my hopes for now. One encouraging sign is it looks a bit old-school and isn't a super glossy cgi fest. First series was by far the best, purely character driven and more "realistic". After the last offering, I doubt they can do any worse though!
  • ecureuil 21 Jul 2012 22:51:00 76,036 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even Kryten looks older.
  • hiddenranbir 23 Jul 2012 10:33:00 5,744 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    You're wrong.

You're in the wrong thread.
    Nah, Been watching the early episodes, pretty lame still.

I actually love RD, but I honestly don't see this tremendous dip in jokes and shit. It's always felt RD start to finish. Think rod has a point, it was good back then but it can't hack it in this 21st century. Or we've all become comedy snobs, like those cunts do with music/film/games/shit.

Edited by hiddenranbir at 10:34:37 23-07-2012
  • Deleted user 23 July 2012 10:42:57
    Just watched the first 4 series, great fun. Still don't think much of the first series though.
  • Chopsen 23 Jul 2012 10:51:00 15,186 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    infoxicated wrote:
    I turned 40 a week ago, yet I was still at school when the first series aired
    I remember being watching the 1st series was aired. When you put it like that....God I feel old.
  • Buztafen 23 Jul 2012 10:51:58 15,957 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hiddenranbir wrote:
    Nah, Been watching the early episodes, pretty lame still.

I actually love RD, but I honestly don't see this tremendous dip in jokes and shit. It's always felt RD start to finish. Think rod has a point, it was good back then but it can't hack it in this 21st century. Or we've all become comedy snobs, like those cunts do with music/film/games/shit.
    No he's right you're in the wrong thread...Smeghead.

Season 1 isnt as funny as the rest but once you get to episodes like Thanks for the memory and Stasis Leak in 2 it starts to hit its stride. Then season 3 came along with the brilliant Marooned, Polymorph and timeslides. Amazing episodes. 4 is my personal favourite season, you don't get much better comedy than D.N.A, White Hole and Dimension Jump. Close to perfection. 5's Holoship, Quarantine, Demon's and Angels and Back to reality continue with the high quality but it starts loosing something with season 6 though, Legion, Polymorph 2, Gunmen of the Apocalypse and Out of Time are very good. Might be due to the loss of the Red Dwarf model.

Season's 7 and 8 never really got me that excited. They added to many other variables that werent needed like Kochanski, Nanites and bring the whole red dwarf crew back.

9 was pretty awful.
  • Zerobob 23 Jul 2012 11:49:08 1,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A few months ago I watched all of Red Dwarf series 1-7. I still love it, apart from series 7 onwards.

The only "newer" episode that I like is "Stoke Me a Clipper" because it still captures the feeling of the older episodes in terms of the characters, but combines this with a great little story and ending, like a lot of the older episodes did.

Newer episodes just seem completely void of whatever made Red Dwarf so special in it's golden age. I think it's mainly down to Chris Barrie looking too happy and not cynical enough with that fed up feeling permanently on his face - now he just looks too self-aware of what he's doing and chuffed he has TV work. Rimmer needs to be miserable, cynical and anal or the fundamental relationship mechanic between Rimmer and Lister is lost.
  • X201 23 Jul 2012 11:58:50 14,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    Chris Barrie looking too happy and not cynical enough with that fed up feeling permanently on his face - now he just looks too self-aware of what he's doing and chuffed he has TV work.
    He's made a fortune from Red Dwarf and The Brittas Empire. Those E-Type jags don't come cheap y'know.
  • Zerobob 23 Jul 2012 12:16:46 1,602 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Zerobob wrote:
    Chris Barrie looking too happy and not cynical enough with that fed up feeling permanently on his face - now he just looks too self-aware of what he's doing and chuffed he has TV work.
    He's made a fortune from Red Dwarf and The Brittas Empire. Those E-Type jags don't come cheap y'know.
    I'm sure he did make a lot of money and he deserved to. He might be chuffed to be on TV for other reasons than money though, but I think my point about him being too self-aware about digging up his old character is valid at least.

Red Dwarf just seems too much of a pantomime now, instead of a cleverly disguised comedy drama about the last surviving human drifting in space, which I'm sure is the idea the original series were trying to explore, underneath all the comedy and side-tracking of course.
  • hiddenranbir 23 Jul 2012 12:25:16 5,744 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rMsBsiGLns
  • X201 5 Sep 2012 17:00:58 14,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • nickthegun 5 Sep 2012 17:06:37 56,034 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched the new(ish) special from a few years ago last week.

I can confirm that it is still as shit as the day it was broadcast.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• ZuluHero 5 Sep 2012 17:11:42 3,668 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How do holograms age?

:p
  • Page

of 41 First / Last