The official Red Dwarf thread \o/ Page 2

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• Lexx87 1 Apr 2008 11:28:42 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Is the just the shows boxset the original tv shows or the molested with shit CGI versions they did?

Just the shows is shit CGI, original DVDs are the original.

Speak the truth hussy!

• thefilthandthefury 1 Apr 2008 11:30:09 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Bill Door wrote:
    Is the just the shows boxset the original tv shows or the molested with shit CGI versions they did?

Ah, this may change my mind then.

I'm torn :(
  • Lexx87 1 Apr 2008 11:32:39 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Bill Door wrote:

Ah, this may change my mind then.

I'm torn :(

The commentries feature the entire original cast basically just having a laugh together, you get some decent interesting stuff as well. They have the original Holly in the first two series too.

Edit: Totally worth it

Speak the truth hussy!

• thefilthandthefury 1 Apr 2008 11:34:47 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But they cost so much more :(

And I'll never, ever, watch/listen to the extras. Ever. At all :(
  • Lexx87 1 Apr 2008 11:36:21 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

I got them for about 7quid each from Amazon...it's not THAT bad it depends what you want really. You could always just download them.

Speak the truth hussy!

• thefilthandthefury 1 Apr 2008 11:38:26 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:

I got them for about 7quid each from Amazon...it's not THAT bad it depends what you want really. You could always just download them.

Nah I never download anything, always like having the DVD. That's not too shabby a price at all, it's just that Just the Shows is sooooo much cheaper in the long run, isn't it? You get loads of series in just the one box.

What's so bad about this CGI? As far as I'm aware I've only ever seen the original show and it always looked a bit crappy anyway to be honest! :D (that's its charm!)
  • X201 1 Apr 2008 11:39:35 15,132 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:

You could always just download them.

But how will they ever get the money for the film :)

• X201 1 Apr 2008 11:40:59 15,132 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago

What's so bad about this CGI? As far as I'm aware I've only ever seen the original show and it always looked a bit crappy anyway to be honest! :D (that's its charm!)

There was a re-released version called Remastered that had CGI skutters and the like added. It was bad.

The Original series had very little CGI most of the effects were done the old fashioned way.

EDIT:
    Full spiel here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf_Remastered
  • w00t 1 Apr 2008 11:41:47 11,047 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ExtrapadapaWHATalated!?

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• thefilthandthefury 1 Apr 2008 11:42:12 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:

There was a re-released version called Remastered that had CGI skutters and the like added. It was bad.

The Original series had very little CGI most of the effects were done the old fashioned way.

In which case I've definitely seen the original. Definitely don't recall CGI skutters! (and I'm not sure I want to see that).

I think you've swayed me to spend a bit more to be honest.
  • Lexx87 1 Apr 2008 11:43:17 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    X201 wrote:

Basically it lost lots of the orignal charm it had with the CGI, you could always buy series 1 of the original and see if it's worth it.

Speak the truth hussy!

• thefilthandthefury 1 Apr 2008 11:50:38 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah, I'm not a big fan of crappy CGI and the ropey special effects were always something I loved about the show. I can imagine the CGI wrecking it quite a lot to be honest.

It'll just come down to cost now. If the originals aren't craploads more then I'm definitely going for those.

Well, I'm not buying them anyway, they're a present for my birthday from the girlfriend but I don't want her spending too much on it, what with her being a student.
  • Killerbee 1 Apr 2008 11:51:22 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Series 1 was always the weakest imho. "Future Echoes" and "Me2" were all right, and "The End" is obviously essetial for setting up the show's premise, but the other three were a bit rubbish.

Series 2 would be a much better buy if you want to see the early shows as they were originally broadcast.
  • thefilthandthefury 1 Apr 2008 11:53:26 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I was never too keen on the first series. I don't feel it really got into its stride until the second.
  • X201 1 Apr 2008 11:53:47 15,132 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    Series 2 would be a much better buy if you want to see the early shows as they were originally broadcast.*

*Except for the "Chicken McNugget" line. :)

• Lexx87 1 Apr 2008 11:56:25 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 1 Apr 2008 11:56:25 20,869 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Second hand off Amazon mate, it's good stuff. Also with the original DVDs you get a collectors booklet wich talks about the making of the episodes and history and stuff :)

Speak the truth hussy!

• QueenofSpain 1 Apr 2008 11:59:56 433 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My other half bought me the entire 8 series one by one as they came out, (took him about 2 years to finish buying me one xmas present!) and the full ones are definatly worth it just to listen to the commentry, plus when you get to series 8 there is the option of watching back in the red in 1 part instead of 3 messy chopped up bits. they should be resonably cheap on ebay now.
  • thefilthandthefury 3 Apr 2008 10:05:01 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just looked on Amazon and the full sets are only between 5 and 8 each! Definitely going for those then.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2008 10:08:11
    Funny how this works, I started watching from series one last night.

"Is that a cigarette you're smoking Lister?"
  • Lutz 3 Apr 2008 10:11:00 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched Holoship on Dave last night.

KRYTEN: Sir, I beg you to reconsider. If not for your sanity, you haven't even considered the moral implications of your decision. You will be joining a society where you will be compelled to have sex with beautiful, brilliant women twice daily, on demand. Now, am I really the only one here who finds that just a little bit tacky? (LISTER and CAT are speechless) Well, quite clearly I am!
  • thefilthandthefury 14 Apr 2008 13:02:01 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally got around to buying some DVDs like I said I would a few weeks ago. I went for the original DVD sets (as I don't want any annoying CGI inserted!) and I got series 2, 3 and 4. I can get 1 another day, it's not too important :p
  • Deleted user 14 April 2008 17:45:37
    I have been watching the DVD's again recently if ever I am at a loss as to what I wanna do RD comes to the rescue.
  • thefilthandthefury 14 Apr 2008 18:04:22 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woo! Just found a dodgy copy of the first series, bought when I lived in Pakistan. Didn't even know I had it. This negates the need to buy the first series at all. Result!
  • thefilthandthefury 14 Apr 2008 18:08:49 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Whatever happened to the film they were going to do? Or a ninth series?

As far as I know the idea is still floating around but nobody is picking it up.

Last I heard, anyway.
  • Tabasco 14 Apr 2008 18:21:20 5,780 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to be a little fly in all your ointment, but I loved series 8. Genuinely thought it was one of the strongest series...
  • Tabasco 14 Apr 2008 18:27:05 5,780 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And here is the latest on a series 9 and film -

Will there be a ninth series?

A subsequent series is always a possibility but relies on several other factors. It's possible that the crew's adventures could continue in any number of media, not just on television...

What is the status of the Red Dwarf movie?

We continue to actively pursue funding.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2008 18:52:39
    It just ain't gonna happen. And besides, it would be fairly embarassing even if it did happen - they're all far too old now. Best thing they could do is something spun off in the same Universe, maybe with brief appearances from the original cast.

But to be fair it seemed pretty obvious by the end of series 8 that the series had run it's course - although I personally thought S8 was a step above 7 (and potentially 6 and 5 too, which are pretty overrated in my opinion), but even so, it was clearly not going anywhere. It's just a shame they didn't get to do the 'proper' ending they wanted, with Lister returning to Earth, because of budgetary constraints.

Still, S2 and 3 ftw.
  • thefilthandthefury 15 Apr 2008 13:48:10 24,951 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest there isn't a single series I dislike (the first series isn't great, but still far from awful). Even the last two series, I find, are fantastic when compared to most other shows.

Having said that I don't think I'd like to see it come back. I just don't think it'd be the same Lister we all knew and loved

/tear
  • Page

of 41 First / Last