The official Red Dwarf thread \o/ Page 41

• Page

of 41 First / Last

Next
  • Dirtbox 3 Nov 2012 09:15:08 76,341 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty sure they used the same canned howls of laughter too.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Steve_Perry 9 Nov 2012 00:15:27 2,455 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Thought tonight's was pretty decent. Even if they trolled us with the S8 cliffhanger reveal. Not sure I give a fuck about that anyway now, you can explain it a dozen ways.

Pretty good series, pisses on 7 and 8 (bar ace rimmer), but after watching S5 on netflix recently it pales in comparison to the older ones. But then again it always will, the show is as old as the hills now, the characters just aren't as relevant, especially when they have all aged noticeably.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Spong 9 Nov 2012 02:59:55 524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The series seemed to tail off as each episode was broadcast. It certainly didn't dive into the shit pit that was Back To Earth, but it wasn't as good as RD1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. I certainly wouldn't say no to another series.

Steve_Perry wrote:
    Thought tonight's was pretty decent. Even if they trolled us with the S8 cliffhanger reveal. Not sure I give a fuck about that anyway now, you can explain it a dozen ways.
    I thought that trolling was brilliant, made me laugh like a drain.
  • elhozzo 9 Nov 2012 11:13:04 234 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    how exactly was that trolled ? (geniune question)
    I heard about it, maybe on this forum, but of course last night didn't seem to reference it at all
    was it in interviews before the series started, or ..?
  • gelf 9 Nov 2012 13:00:04 185 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I honestly think even 7 and 8 were better then this series. Only a few bits made me laugh all the way through. The series 7 episodes that still had Rimmer are definately better in my mind.

But yes its still better then Back to earth by a long way.
  • SlackMaster 9 Nov 2012 13:00:55 3,132 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How many episodes are there in Season 10? 5 or 6?

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• binky Moderator 9 Nov 2012 13:08:51 9,236 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    6. That was the last one I assume.
    Thought last night was superb to be honest. Loved Cat's "wibblified" explanation and Kryten miming folding towels :-D
  • binky Moderator 9 Nov 2012 13:09:18 9,236 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ps. Series.
  • thefilthandthefury 9 Nov 2012 17:37:28 24,901 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I thought last night's was fantastic, it felt like a proper old episode in many ways. It was more 'sci-fi' as well.
  • Zerobob 9 Nov 2012 18:02:21 1,602 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    gelf wrote:
    I honestly think even 7 and 8 were better then this series. Only a few bits made me laugh all the way through. The series 7 episodes that still had Rimmer are definately better in my mind.

But yes its still better then Back to earth by a long way.
    Yeah "Stoke Me A Clipper" in series 7 could easily have been a series 5 or 6 episode. It was just spot on, with a storyline that was highly relevant to the characters and a great ending.

Series 10 definitely tips it's hat to the old style humour found in earlier series, contains all of the winning elements again and has definitely regained it's direction for the better, but I still think the jokes and quips are all still a little dated and predictable. It makes some scenes a bit painful to watch. I do still love when Rimmer uses the phrase "m'laddo" though. It's the perfect expression of stuck up, anal and out of touch his character is.

I am still enjoying series 10 though, and I'm glad it's not just 'slapstick in space'. I really liked the episode where Rimmer had to pretend to be the commander of his own ship in front of his brother. It played on the core flaws of Rimmer's character, as well a providing a good foundation for a sitcom episode. I just think the jokes need to be sharper, cleverer, more self-aware and less predictable.
  • Spong 10 Nov 2012 02:56:51 524 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    elhozzo wrote:
    how exactly was that trolled ? (geniune question)
    Because no one knows how the Dwarfers actually got out of the situation with the genetically engineered virus that was eating the ship at the end of series 8. But twice in last night's episode Rimmer started to explain how he supposedly saved them, and both times he was cut off, so we never actually found out.

It was a little bit of fan trolling on Doug Naylor's part really, newcomers wouldn't have got it at all, but I thought it was hilarious.

Edited by Spong at 16:37:18 10-11-2012
  • lucky_jim 10 Nov 2012 03:46:21 5,161 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure this is old news to everyone else, but I've only recently discovered how brilliant the audiobooks of the first two novels in the series are. They're read by Chris Barrie, who with his background as an impressionist, does a superb job: it's really easy to forget there isn't a full cast doing it.
  • Kanjin 15 Nov 2012 00:00:43 961 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even if the gags are a bit stale nowadays, adding character development - that sticks! - was a nice touch.

There's only one more episode now, right?
  • Deleted user 15 November 2012 00:15:24
    Jesus you cunts are miserable
  • mal 15 Nov 2012 01:38:17 21,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got round to seeing the last ep in the series tonight (there's another ep out there?). Probably the best episode this series so far with an acceptable number of gags and a good plot. Overall I'm pretty happy with this series, and will definitely watch the next one, if it gets made. Only weak episodes I recall are the not-jesus one (which was just a bit too cheesy) and the penultimate one (although reviewing it - mostly on FF - I liked how the various character narratives resolved themselves, especially Rimmer and Lister's on top of the vending machine). But the majority of the episodes were very much essential viewing for any old dwarfers out there, and who knows, may even have picked up the odd new fan.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Page

of 41 First / Last

Next