New car help

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • ILoveThrashMetal 21 Feb 2014 12:05:56 814 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The misses and I bought a vw from new about a year and 4 months ago. The past 3or4 months it has developed a horrendous moisture problem to the point where we had fucking ice on the dashboard one morning.
    It takes 20 minutes before we can go anywhere if it's misted up. We have to wind the window down at junctions to see if its ok to go.
    Now I'm no mechanic but to me it sounds like a seal has gone.
    I phoned vw who fobbed me off. Phoned them again, they said "we can take a look at your car in 3 months" I told them that was not good enough.
    So took to facebook and vented my anger on vw facebook page, surprise surprise nice phone call with customer services who booked in our car to be looked at.
    Now they took it to be looked at yesterday and I've just had a call from the garage telling me that there is nothing wrong with the car. Even the engineer who picked the car up yesterday, when I showed him the pictures he said 'nah that's not right "
    Anybody have any ideas of what I can try?

Arsechickens

• X201 21 Feb 2014 12:11:57 15,699 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you checked to make sure its not set to recycle air from inside? That will cause moisture and misting problems.

Edited by X201 at 12:12:37 21-02-2014
  • nickthegun 21 Feb 2014 12:17:22 61,118 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does the airconditioning not work?

But, yeah, the fact is: some cars just do this. I once had a civic type r that misted appallingly to the point that you could see water dripping down the window when you were driving.

But, yeah, it wasnt from new, so I would complain my tits off.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• THFourteen 21 Feb 2014 12:22:35 34,274 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a golf which is a bit like that in some weather actually.

There's a certain way of clearing it quickly which my dad worked out but I always forget how and end up sitting there for ages.

To my mind it seems to be because it requires hot air to clear it but the air doesn't get hot until you start driving.
  • Nexus_6 21 Feb 2014 12:32:01 3,894 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was going to say exactly what X201 says above. Check your air-con/heating dials to see what they are set up. Should be an arrow type arrangement either going from outside to in, or circling around inside.

Set it to outside-in the keep the air changes going. Other than that, no idea.
  • grey_matters 21 Feb 2014 12:44:01 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can get 12v dehumidifiers for cars. Also, you can get huge bags of silica gel specifically for this problem (you have to dry them out after a while though).
  • Arrr9 21 Feb 2014 12:46:02 446 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ILoveThrashMetal I'm no mechanic either but my first thought was a dodgy seal as well. It's only ever happened to me on an older model mini cooper and an old convertible I had, both of which let in more moisture than they should because of the age of the rubber seals.

I solved the problem by taking it to a jetwash, spraying high pressure water close to all the window seals then taking a look inside to see where any water came through then replaced the seal. Not very high tech I'm afraid and I'd kind of expect this to happen on old cars but from brand new I'd be wanting a definite solution from the VW dealer.

Maybe just suggest to them to check the fitment of the seals ( hopefully it's something nice and simple like this ).
  • superdelphinus 21 Feb 2014 13:05:13 8,125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a mk7 golf and it does take ages to clear the mist of in the morning. What I do is have a bit of throttle on to get the revs up - clears it pretty quickly then. Years ago I had a focus which just had a button for the windscreen just like the rear screen which cleared it in about 1 min, surprised other cars don't have that really because it was tremendously useful. My only real issue with this car is a slightly eccentric auto electronic parking brake which keeps things interesting from time to time
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Feb 2014 13:30:19 25,320 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you've got The Mist forming inside your car, I'd burn it to the ground as quickly as possible before monsters start coming out of it whilst you're driving.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• ILoveThrashMetal 21 Feb 2014 13:34:15 814 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the replies chaps.
    I have tried every combination known to man (and fellow vw owners) with regards to the airflow /heater/air con settings. I know it has to use clean air and not circulated air. The only way to stop this is to have the heater set to the middle, switch so we have air coming through the car, and to have the air con on all the time. The moment you switch air con off it starts to mist (even when driving). This to me defeats the whole object of an eco friendly car.
    Does anybody know if I can post pictures on here with my nexus 7?

Arsechickens

• CosmicFuzz 21 Feb 2014 13:35:16 25,320 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Upload to a dropbox/google drive account and share the link.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 13:35:31 21-02-2014

• Trowel 21 Feb 2014 13:40:50 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Golfs are notorious for the problem, mine frequently takes 10 mins to sort out. I put a silica gel tray in the footwell this winter which has actually made a big difference, also try some Autoglym which is meant to prevent particles from accumulating on the interior of the windscreen, and use a good microfiber cloth for any cleaning. Finally make sure you've no debris in the windscreen wiper recess, ie. dead leaves and the like - prevents the air circulation.
  • Zomoniac 21 Feb 2014 13:55:06 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I will be a sad person on the day I no longer have a Ford with a heated front windscreen. I forgot how much of a ballache misting can be.
  • Alastair 21 Feb 2014 13:58:13 16,319 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How far are you driving the car each day? If it's just short journeys I would guess the car never really gets a chance to dry out properly.
    My missus' car always seems damp inside but it only gets driving a couple of times a week. I drive mine for about 2 hours each day and it's dry as a bone inside...
  • Alastair 21 Feb 2014 13:58:40 16,319 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    I will be a sad person on the day I no longer have a Ford with a heated front windscreen. I forgot how much of a ballache misting can be.
    How much is a replacement screen?
  • damagedinc 21 Feb 2014 14:03:00 945 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Surely cheapest option would be to throw a rock at it and get a new windscreen through insurance. Normally only 65 pounds and covered under the warramty of the windscreen company should you have seal issues again?

Be a lot cheaper then what vw would quote.

Thats if you have windscreen cover of cause.
  • AceGrace 21 Feb 2014 14:05:11 1,256 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I have a mk7 golf and it does take ages to clear the mist of in the morning. What I do is have a bit of throttle on to get the revs up - clears it pretty quickly then. Years ago I had a focus which just had a button for the windscreen just like the rear screen which cleared it in about 1 min, surprised other cars don't have that really because it was tremendously useful. My only real issue with this car is a slightly eccentric auto electronic parking brake which keeps things interesting from time to time
    Ford own the patent/rights to front windscreen heating. Thats why no other cars have it.

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• Zomoniac 21 Feb 2014 14:08:37 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    How much is a replacement screen?
    50 or whatever the usual excess is for windscreens if you have it as part of your insurance policy. I think all current Mondeos and Focuses have them so they're stock items at any Autoglass. If you're just buying a new one I have no idea.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Feb 2014 14:09:53 25,320 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Ford own the patent/rights to front windscreen heating. Thats why no other cars have it.
    Ah, I did wonder about this. It's bloody brilliant for this sort of thing.

• superdelphinus 21 Feb 2014 14:10:25 8,125 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I thought it must be something like that, but why do all cars have them at the back?
  • Zomoniac 21 Feb 2014 14:10:47 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Ford do put it on their other owned brands though, Jags all have them.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 21 Feb 2014 14:14:11 814 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @damagedinc it has a 3 year warranty.
    I think it's go to their dealership tomorrow and shouty shout when it's full of potential customers.

Arsechickens

• AceGrace 21 Feb 2014 14:30:09 1,256 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    My Mazda doesn't! :-(

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• Zomoniac 21 Feb 2014 14:34:21 7,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    My Mazda doesn't! :-(
    Ford only own 3% of Mazda!

Though I didn't realise Ford no longer own any of Jaguar, so my previous statement may be out of date.
  • drip 22 Feb 2014 01:37:16 4,612 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I hate it though. My father's wife had a Ford with that, and she bought one without the next time. The wires in the windscreen are just too distracting/annoying for me and her, my father, and others.
  • altitude2k 22 Feb 2014 07:27:49 4,842 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    That patent expired years ago. BMW have had it for at least 2 years now.
  • Dougs 22 Feb 2014 07:53:28 69,125 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, front windscreen demister is awesome on my otherwise distinctly average Ford Focus.
  • altitude2k 22 Feb 2014 08:06:15 4,842 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah, front windscreen demister is awesome on my otherwise distinctly average Ford Focus.
    Depends on the Focus! I'm seriously considering a new Focus ST-2 for my next car. It's just a bit thirsty and I do a fair number of miles.
  • Dougs 22 Feb 2014 08:17:13 69,125 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ha, yeah. My bog standard 1.6l has no guts whatsoever. But that's not a problem really, it's been rock solid for the 4 years I've had it (now 9 years old).
  • Fake_Blood 22 Feb 2014 08:18:35 4,388 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    AceGrace wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I hate it though. My father's wife had a Ford with that, and she bought one without the next time. The wires in the windscreen are just too distracting/annoying for me and her, my father, and others.
    I agree, it's fine mesh of zig-zag wires, my brother didn't mind but I'm a tiny bit shortsighted and it did distract me.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous