Gaming podcast recommendations?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • PlebGate 19 Feb 2014 12:19:23 5 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Couldn't find a thread on here dedicated to good gaming podcasts, so here we are. Does anyone have any recommendations? Joypod and Weekend Confirmed are now officially dead (RIP) but those two aside, here are the ones I currently listen to

Idle Thumbs
    Chet and Jon's Reassuringly Finite Gaming Playlist
    Gamewank
    RebelFM
    Crate & Crowbar
    Midnight Resistance

Are there any others worth checking out?
  • sickpuppysoftware 19 Feb 2014 12:52:44 1,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any good short ones? Around half an hour. Apart from Eurogamer most gaming podcasts are rambling hour and a half marathons in desperate need of editing.

Actually most American podcasts are rambling hour and a half marathons in desperate need of editing.

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• X201 19 Feb 2014 12:54:42 15,603 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Actually most American podcasts are rambling hour and a half marathons in desperate need of deleting.
    Fixed
  • X201 19 Feb 2014 12:56:09 15,603 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Former IGN UK editor, Guy Cocker has a good podcast. Just wish he would update the bloody website graphics.

http://www.guycocker.com/

An easy way to download them is via http://feeds.feedburner.com/GCVGP

Edited by X201 at 12:59:54 19-02-2014
  • Fake_Blood 19 Feb 2014 12:56:44 4,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If you like short to the point podcasts, you can't go wrong with the giant bombcast.
  • Deleted user 19 February 2014 13:08:46
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    If you like short to the point podcasts, you can't go wrong with the giant bombcast.
    Quoted for truth.

I'd be interested in finding UK/English gaming podcasts that are worth a listen. Unfortunately most I've heard have got the "dad/mum trying to sound cool" vibe
  • Rhaegyr 19 Feb 2014 13:13:31 2,436 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cain and Rinse is pretty good.

90 minute podcast that goes into detail about one specific game only - a great listen if some of your favourites are featured (they dive into older games as well as new). The commentators (4 or 5) seem to know what they're talking about and really go into depth on all facets of the game. Thankfully, none of them fancy themselves as amateur comedians either.

Cain and Rinse

I'd advise any Dark Souls fan to check that particular episode out - it's bloody excellent.

Edit - All UK commentators, too.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 13:13:53 19-02-2014
  • sickpuppysoftware 19 Feb 2014 13:21:01 1,338 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Quoted for truth.
    Hang on, did someone change the meaning of truth whilst my back was turned?

You cannot stop me with paramecium alone!

• Deleted user 19 February 2014 13:21:06
    On a similar note to that the Tone Control podcasts have been superb so far. In-depth interviews with game devs detailing what go them where they are and how they go about creating their games
  • BillMurray 19 Feb 2014 13:30:09 7,810 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    One Life Left is pretty good, though it's an actual radio show based in London. One Life Left.

That's all i've got though. I've abandoned most of my podcast subs, aside from Giant Bomb which is still by far my favourite. A Life Well Wasted is still the best produced gaming podcast but I think Robert Ashley is currently on hiatus with that.
  • crashVoodoo 19 Feb 2014 19:22:33 3,967 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    VideoGamerUK is actually quite good although matt, one of its best regulars has just left for pastures new

Heavy on the swears but still very good and on my weekly listen list

Edited by crashVoodoo at 19:29:02 19-02-2014

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Kostabi 19 Feb 2014 19:30:18 4,986 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I second One Life Left.

Most other gaming podcasts are either overly long or just painfully unfunny.
  • faux-C 19 Feb 2014 19:34:39 9,455 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Three Moves Ahead - it's generally great, but only strategy games - is the only one I listen to, but I keep meaning to subscribe to Gamers with Jobs too.
  • jonsaan 19 Feb 2014 19:42:22 25,364 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DLC is very good indeed and features most of the weekend confirmed crew in various forms.

FCUTA!

• yegon 19 Feb 2014 19:47:02 5,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Quoted for truth.
    Lol, yeah WTF? I love Giant Bomb, the podcast is great for whiling away the drive in/out of work for a couple of days, but short and to the point they are not! In fact, there's tonnes of small talk that is barely related to games - I like it a lot, find it highly amusing, really like all the blokes involved, but specific game talk probably constitutes 60% of the 3hr podcasts at most! For specific game talk their quick look videos are great, as is Bombin the Am (video) for general game news.

I became a premium member a few months ago, far and away my fave gaming website these days. You can get much of the stuff for free, but I'm happy to bung them 30 notes for them to keep up the good work. I actually like to reward good content with moolah.

Edited by yegon at 19:49:36 19-02-2014
  • Deleted user 19 February 2014 20:14:03
    Yeah, I did the premium member bit last year too. Would have continued it as I really like Unprofessional Fridays but I resent part of my sub paying for shop credit that I'll never ever use :-D
  • atomicjuicer 19 Feb 2014 20:16:44 308 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gamer tag radio have their own app but are hopelessly pro-Microsoft.

Otherwise really great!
  • Zomoniac 19 Feb 2014 20:18:02 7,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    Former IGN UK editor, Guy Cocker has a good podcast. Just wish he would update the bloody website graphics.

http://www.guycocker.com/

An easy way to download them is via http://feeds.feedburner.com/GCVGP
    I listened to the first couple after he left and the Gamespot one stopped (which had gotten worse by the week since Jane Douglas left anyway), but was getting so frustrated by him calling on 'experts' who had no idea what they were talking about and saying so much stuff as fact when it was all wrong that I ditched it.
  • H1ggyLTD 19 Feb 2014 20:20:55 1,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Videogamer will be better now Matt has left.

Shout for Cocker.
  • Zomoniac 19 Feb 2014 20:28:34 7,864 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To echo the OP, I'd like some recommendations, based on the following criteria:

1. Not predominantly RPG based
    2. No bad attempts at humour
    3. No fanboyism
    4. No general geek culture pods, must be gaming specific
    5. No uninformed presenters who despite working for gaming news sites appear to have no knowledge of gaming news

Currently just listening to EG and Giant Bomb.
  • yegon 19 Feb 2014 20:30:36 5,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Yeah, I did the premium member bit last year too. Would have continued it as I really like Unprofessional Fridays but I resent part of my sub paying for shop credit that I'll never ever use :-D
    Yeah, I'll never use it either. I didn't mind so much as I was new to Giant Bomb (started looking at the site pretty much the week after Ryan Davies' sad passing), watched their free output for a few weeks and generally found it a refreshing change from other websites - professional enough to deliver good content and video, but retaining that enthusiast vibe that tells me the guys'd be sat around the sofa playing ridiculous pc games whether they were being paid for it or not. Helps that I find nearly all of them pretty likeable. I just don't get that feeling from gaming websites I used to pay more attention too - not the greatest fan of EG these days, if they closed the forums that'd be me done here.

Edited by yegon at 20:40:46 19-02-2014
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 19 Feb 2014 20:31:57 14,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tone Control is currently my favourite game related podcast.

a podcast where Steve Gaynor of The Fullbright Company sits down with noteworthy video game developers for an in-depth conversation about their career and creative process, and the tricky work of establishing and maintaining a cohesive tone in their games.
    Link
  • crashVoodoo 19 Feb 2014 20:57:59 3,967 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:

Shout for Cocker.
    Really?
    I liked it because of him not in spite of..

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• H1ggyLTD 19 Feb 2014 21:11:25 1,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    H1ggyLTD wrote:

Shout for Cocker.
    Really?
    I liked it because of him not in spite of..
    Had some interesting things to say, and is clearly multi-talented.

But he's a massive try-hard. Massively hypocritical. To be honest it was his twitter persona that annoyed me more than his podcast contributions. Daily soap box.

In my humble opinion. :)

Do you think he talks like that, and pulls those faces, all the time?

The Videogamer podcast was absolutely incredible for about two years when Gaston/Pearson/Neon and that tasty Canadian chick were on it. A golden era.
  • Ford_Assassin 19 Feb 2014 22:18:43 69 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've started listening to 360 gamercast really good, bunch of guys talk about the games the've been playing each week.
  • richardiox 19 Feb 2014 22:38:11 5,674 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cane and Rinse is the best gaming podcast. Love the format of having a roundtable about just one (classic) game per episode. Great to hear informed people waxing lyrical about some of my favourite games.

Other than C&R I love Midlife Gamer Podcast, Joypod (RIP) and Midnight Resistance.

All of the above are UK based too.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 19 Feb 2014 22:49:38 512 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I miss Weekend Confirmed, so DLC is a new fave. The other one I listen to most is Gamers with Jobs, which is really good.

I quite like longer podcasts to be honest.

Edited by ManicDrunkMonk at 22:50:28 19-02-2014
  • PlebGate 21 Feb 2014 13:55:55 5 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Going to check out Cane and Rinse… that sounds like a keeper.

Zomoniac wrote:
    To echo the OP, I'd like some recommendations, based on the following criteria:

1. Not predominantly RPG based
    2. No bad attempts at humour
    3. No fanboyism
    4. No general geek culture pods, must be gaming specific
    5. No uninformed presenters who despite working for gaming news sites appear to have no knowledge of gaming news

Currently just listening to EG and Giant Bomb.
    You should probably try Chet and Jon. They run through twenty games in about an hour every week, and are often amusing but never dwell on it when they are. Jon actually writes for EG (I think) and it's a comprehensive listen that covers all formats. One of my favourites.

Almost forgot: I really miss the Hookshot podcast too. It only ran for 8 episodes or so but those are well worth seeking out. All of the hosts have written for EG at one time or another
  • Physically_Insane 21 Feb 2014 14:02:22 9,041 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yegon wrote:
    sickpuppysoftware wrote:
    Rhythm wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Quoted for truth.
    Lol, yeah WTF? I love Giant Bomb, the podcast is great for whiling away the drive in/out of work for a couple of days, but short and to the point they are not! In fact, there's tonnes of small talk that is barely related to games - I like it a lot, find it highly amusing, really like all the blokes involved, but specific game talk probably constitutes 60% of the 3hr podcasts at most! For specific game talk their quick look videos are great, as is Bombin the Am (video) for general game news.

I became a premium member a few months ago, far and away my fave gaming website these days. You can get much of the stuff for free, but I'm happy to bung them 30 notes for them to keep up the good work. I actually like to reward good content with moolah.
    Giantbomb is the perfect gaming website for me. I love everything about it. The podcast, their video content, their almost daily live content (which is archived)... Each one of the dudes have so much personality (something that is missing from every other gaming website) and are extremely likeable. I just want to go and have a drink with them and have a friendly, video game based argument.

All it needs is this forum.
  • DugBriderider 21 Feb 2014 14:21:03 528 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Zomoniac

3rd Recommendation for One life Left, the radio format keeps it tight but it may fail on the 5th point as Ann Scantlebury's news is proudly ripped straight off of Eurogamer, so overall I'd give it 7/10.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous