Struggling to play anything

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Donk10 7 Feb 2014 20:31:10 102 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So last year I was going mad for a new gaming PC, so after a bit of scheming and planning I managed to bag myself a very descent gaming rig. So now 4 months or so on and I've got bloody loads of games courtesy of steam but I've come across a problem and its basically shit. I can't get into anything! I've complete arkham origins apart from the padding out quests, assassins creed 4 I got bored of. skyrims too massive but I'd already played it loads on ps3, I got bored of battlefield 4, the list goes on. I think a lot of it is because I can't get comfortable in my chair and desk setup but I'm worried that after all that money I should of just gotten a ps4 and a telly.
  • Physically_Insane 7 Feb 2014 20:51:51 9,232 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whenever I feel like that I play a short indie game. Something that's super easy to play through.
  • Stan546 7 Feb 2014 20:55:48 259 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Try Mount and Blade? Basically, stop playing the console games and go with the decent games only PC can do! The best combo would be PS4/PC to mix an match pc and console games.

Please help me mods? Stop ignoring me?

• Tomo 7 Feb 2014 21:16:42 13,980 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, likewise. I find it pretty tough to get into blockbuster games these days. Shorter indie games are far more manageable usually without tonnes of padding.
  • Bremenacht 7 Feb 2014 21:18:34 19,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, a nice little gaming fix.

Or dump gaming for a few weeks. Read books. Listen to music. Ignore gaming.
  • jonsaan 7 Feb 2014 21:23:11 25,440 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's because it's all been done before. There is nothing new under the sun.

But Bremenacht has the right idea IMO.

Me personally I get stuck into games I love from the past. Mr Driller mainly.

FCUTA!

• Donk10 7 Feb 2014 21:28:56 102 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All very good points, I might give some Indies a crack. Which ones would you recommend?
  • Bremenacht 7 Feb 2014 21:32:20 19,647 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Papers please starts off seeming shit when you're used to easy-to-get-into big games, but gets very interesting once you've lost for the first time and decide to beat it. Really is a bit marmite though.
  • monkehhh 7 Feb 2014 21:35:51 3,497 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spelunky! Always a good one to go back to (again and again and again). Brothers maybe? Can finish that in a few hours. The Stanley Parable? Fun if you like games (keep playing it over to see what changes).

I find the AAA games a bit of a slog now, something I can burn through in a long afternoon is nice.
  • Donk10 7 Feb 2014 21:36:21 102 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah looks pretty cool, anymore?
  • monkehhh 7 Feb 2014 21:39:44 3,497 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    People on YouTube play a ton of random stuff too, things I'll never get round to playing (folks like http://www.youtube.com/user/RockLeeSmile)
  • Tomo 7 Feb 2014 21:58:15 13,980 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hotline Miami, definitely. Relatively short, but you'll probably get hooked and keep re-playing levels anyway. It's so different to everything else too.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Feb 2014 22:43:13 35,849 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, Hotline Miami was my first thought as well. It's just ... basic, in the best way possible.
  • magicpanda 7 Feb 2014 23:07:19 13,469 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. Short and sweet. Need a pad though.

Edited by magicpanda at 23:10:57 07-02-2014
  • bnazir 7 Feb 2014 23:38:28 82 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Try Mark of the Ninja.
  • Fruit_Salad 8 Feb 2014 00:17:56 440 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wouldn't try any of these great games. Seems you need episodic story. Try The Walking Dead.
  • Dirtbox 8 Feb 2014 00:35:56 79,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Too many games these days require some sort of comitment, whether it's to the gameplay mechanics, the story, the community, whatever. There are too few games that just let you play them without expecting you to put a ring on it's finger. It put me off games for a long time.

Simply put - don't force it.

Edited by Dirtbox at 00:36:56 08-02-2014

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• kadooosh 8 Feb 2014 01:08:10 1,549 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Seems a shame to have spent so much though to end up just playing indie games.

Know what u mean though, got myself a gaming of over a year ago played it initially for the first few months, ended up back on console in the hype up to ps4. Now I have the os4 haven't touched my Pc once.
  • Donk10 8 Feb 2014 05:43:34 102 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol I've actually got spelunky, mark of the ninja, walking dead season 1 and hotline Miami but I haven't really apart from walking dead given them much time. I'll give them a blast later when I'm back from work.
  • L0cky 8 Feb 2014 07:17:13 1,556 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    That's because it's all been done before. There is nothing new under the sun.
    Which is what I like about indie games. They're not hemmed in by the risk of big budgets etc, so the devs can experiment with new gameplay ideas. In fact they pretty much have to as they need a selling point.

AAA games now don't know if they're trying to be a game, or a movie, and end up being a mix of a mediocre game and a mediocre movie. The actual game design aspect of most of them is almost completely bereft.
  • b0rk 8 Feb 2014 07:48:46 2,942 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Donk10 wrote:
    So last year I was going mad for a new gaming PC, so after a bit of scheming and planning I managed to bag myself a very descent gaming rig. So now 4 months or so on and I've got bloody loads of games courtesy of steam but I've come across a problem and its basically shit. I can't get into anything! I've complete arkham origins apart from the padding out quests, assassins creed 4 I got bored of. skyrims too massive but I'd already played it loads on ps3, I got bored of battlefield 4, the list goes on. I think a lot of it is because I can't get comfortable in my chair and desk setup but I'm worried that after all that money I should of just gotten a ps4 and a telly.
    I could never settle in a chair for expended periods when gaming so hooked my PC up to a tele and lounge on a bed with 360 controller. Very comfortable. :)
  • TheDarkKnight 8 Feb 2014 08:11:57 695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yep I was going to suggest the same thing as Borked_Gamer.

Can you get the PC connected up to the TV and get a wireless Xbox controller set up? Has other benefits like streaming films/tv etc too.

But I reckon you need a break from gaming. Like Bremenacht says, go do something else for a bit. I go through phases were I just can't bring myself to play anything, then it's feels fresh again after only a week or so.

Edited by TheDarkKnight at 08:13:53 08-02-2014

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• orpheus 8 Feb 2014 13:25:06 1,011 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Donk10 wrote:

Sounds like you're using your PC to play console-based games and AAA blockbusters. Indies are a good shout as others have said, but what about pushing your own envelope a bit? Loads of games on PC that you'd never find on any other platform - amazing simulators (DCS series, Silent Hunter series), strategy games (far too many to list), open world shooters like Planetside 2 and the huge range of free-to-play titles.

Have known plenty of people who bought a new gaming PC only to play the same old stuff on it, and they got as bored as you. Play something different, something only a PC can handle - then you'll get the spark again (or maybe a whole new one). :)
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2014 13:28:05 17,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like you need some xcom in your life.

You are a factory of sadness.

• bad09 8 Feb 2014 13:57:27 6,254 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indies, sims, smaller low budget games.

Leave the "trip(l)e A" stuff alone for a while and you'll feel refreshed and up for more gaming.
  • Tiger_Walts 8 Feb 2014 14:05:17 16,618 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Minesweeper?

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Rusty_M 8 Feb 2014 14:13:53 4,916 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Sounds like you need some Freespace 2 in your life.
    FTFY

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Short-Round 8 Feb 2014 14:54:18 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Sounds like you need some Animal Crossing in your life.
    FTFY
  • RedSparrows 8 Feb 2014 15:21:23 24,156 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Europa Universalis.

I want my life back.
  • Donk10 8 Feb 2014 15:25:33 102 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @orpheus thats one of the reasons I wanted a pc again because I like to have a dabble at flight sims such as DCS black shark, A10, falcon 4 and strike fighters but the trouble is im grounded because I havnt got any rudder pedals at the moment and some sims I need those.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous