• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • RoboxMan 31 Jan 2014 18:29:39 6 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Dear Gamer,

Thanks for checking out this thread!

It's about RoboxInvasion, an action FPS PC game developed by an individual (myself).

It has 3 different maps and various weapons in the current alpha-testing version which is available for download.

Screenshots:

Map 4 (in development)

Map 3:

Map 2:

Want to check it out?

You can start the download with just 2 clicks from the website:
    http://roboxinvasion.ga/

If you find any bug or want to make any suggestions, you can support the project by letting me know through the website forum.

Whatever you decide, thanks for taking the time to read about my game!

Edited by RoboxMan at 18:30:11 31-01-2014
  • JiveHound 31 Jan 2014 19:04:05 2,139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I wish you luck but is a FPS really the best genre to tackle by yourself?

Many decent projects have been completed by single people but they are generally smaller in scale with a clever conceit.

See Spelunky, Braid, Fez.

You can put loads of effort into this but it's always going to look like a pre 1997 effort in a horrendously over crowded space.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• RoboxMan 31 Jan 2014 19:09:12 6 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @JiveHound Thanks!

Well, what can I say.

Sure, FPS has tough competition, but so does RPG, RTS, or any other genre.

But, this project is and will remain a free, small and fun distraction for people. It doesn't have to compare to the modern commercial projects, and with the engine I'm using and with most of the graphics made manually, it can't do so graphically. It's based on Direct X 9.0.C and the only shader effect it uses is Bloom, to add to the ambient a bit.

The upside is, it can work on any system from Windows XP (perhaps even some earlier ones) to 8, and it works on most computers, including my Netbook. Big game development companies don't really care about netbooks, so the other games that work on my Netbook at decent FPS do not really look much better at all, graphically.

Of course, I don't need to add the other upside of a developer who is willing to listen to player suggestions and comments. As there is no profit in mind, there's nothing to stop me from that.
  • JiveHound 31 Jan 2014 19:20:39 2,139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @RoboxMan

Well as I said I wish you luck. I certainly wouldn't be able to do it.

I will say that even if it's free these days it doesn’t matter about the cost. There are many free games to the point that time is more of a crucial commodity. Indy channels are filled with 80p games, at this level you have to have an interesting idea as you don't have the resources to polish something like a FPS to a level where someone would choose to play it above the competition.

I'm speaking as a potential user more than someone who knows about game design.

• JiveHound 31 Jan 2014 19:23:07 2,139 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    At your level you will have much more success if you come up with some fun mechanics and then come up with a game around that.

Loads of games are turning up these days with really modest graphics and art but are capturing gamers' imagination.

• RoboxMan 31 Jan 2014 19:26:56 6 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @JiveHound

Thanks, I actually understand your point, there are so many amazing games out there, and even the most professional ones will be played for 'free' by many people through illegal means, but I also know that I've had some fun playing Robox myself - and usually most things get boring after trying them many times (to confirm that every part you make is working as it should). So I believe it has something to give, and even more once it's finished.

Who knows, perhaps someone else will also have some fun while trying it. :)

Tough competition will not stop me from trying.

Edited by RoboxMan at 19:27:25 31-01-2014

[Edit] just saw your second message, well I was also considering some ideas such as a custom level editor or other fun options for the future.

Edited by RoboxMan at 19:28:43 31-01-2014
  • RoboxMan 26 Feb 2014 01:43:16 6 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Any more feedback?

Any opinion, suggestion/question would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • Barrel_Trollz 26 Feb 2014 05:10:26 126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hey, just noticed this! Downloading as we speak :)
    I'll play a bit tomorrow. And hey, it's free, so might as well.
  • RoboxMan 9 Mar 2014 00:47:05 6 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Barrel_Trollz wrote:
    Hey, just noticed this! Downloading as we speak :)
    I'll play a bit tomorrow. And hey, it's free, so might as well.
    Thanks for that! Yes, it is and will be free in the future updates as well (that's the whole point).

Any first impressions? :)
  • Barrel_Trollz 9 Mar 2014 01:26:08 126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Needs a bit of a tighter focus. Right now, there isn't much unique about the game. I'd suggest homing in on a certain prospect. Co op play, going OTT, making the enemies more varied, etc. Oh, and there's a glitch where you can hide inside the turret and shoot enemies without getting hurt.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next