Absolutely gutted

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • phAge 29 Jan 2014 08:48:03 24,371 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Me and the missus have been on the lookout for our first house together for some time now, after living in an apartment for five years.

Finally found the perfect place; spacy, great location, lovely garden - just the sort of house we could see ourselves living and growing old in. A bit pricy (yet still a bargain for what we'd get), but we managed to get our bank on board.

Everything was set for us to sign the papers tomorrow morning, when I get a call from the realtor - someone has put in a new bid on the house, far above what we could possibly offer.

Tomorrow. Fucking. Morning.

Can't remember being this disappointed since, well, ever. Fucksticks.

Anyway, carry on.
  • docrob 29 Jan 2014 08:51:41 289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It happens and it's shite. Sympathies. Trust me though, there will be another 'perfect' house. There's loads of them out there.
  • CaptainKerbal 29 Jan 2014 08:52:25 375 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's cliche, but you never know how things will work out in the long run, I got my current job that I love because I screwed up an interview for something that at the time I was devastated I didn't get. If I had gotten it then a year later I'd have been redundant, now I've gotten a better job and position than that job would have given ever, so you never know :)
  • sport 29 Jan 2014 08:57:36 12,711 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gl3n is selling I believe, phage.

Hard luck mate.
  • rockavitch 29 Jan 2014 08:59:44 321 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Burn it down.

Follow me on Twitter @MikeRockavitch ... from a distance of course ... No fat chicks ...

• phAge 29 Jan 2014 09:00:14 24,371 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CaptainKerbal wrote:
    It's cliche, but you never know how things will work out in the long run, I got my current job that I love because I screwed up an interview for something that at the time I was devastated I didn't get. If I had gotten it then a year later I'd have been redundant, now I've gotten a better job and position than that job would have given ever, so you never know :)
    Yeah, I know. Before this house, we were all set on a different place, but I veto'ed it at the last moment because of faint-but-noticeable road noise. We've later found out that a huge convenience store is being projected on the lot right next to the house - would've driven us crazy and will absolutely destroy the value of the house when it's complete.

Still, this time we really thought we'd found the right place...
  • Deleted user 29 January 2014 09:35:00
    Sorry to hear that :(

I hope as other say, it works out better for you. I know that in the past I've been totally gutted by things in my life and thought I'd never recover from them, but the place I'm living in and the situation I find myself in right now are pretty good and without all those things that went wrong years ago, I'd not be here now.

You might find somewhere tons better or you might find there was something subtly and expensively wrong with the place in years to come
  • Salaman 29 Jan 2014 10:40:35 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ugh that sucks.
    Follow it up in a while. Maybe a week or two from now.
    Maybe that deal ends up going south and they'd come back to you. I wouldn't pin my hopes on it but still ... could happen.
  • Physically_Insane 29 Jan 2014 10:42:23 8,839 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey man, I have 0 to put down for a new house, so you're ahead of me.
  • craigy Staff 29 Jan 2014 10:42:58 7,650 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only one way to bounch back: with an outrageous counter offer!
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Jan 2014 10:43:05 17,061 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Ugh that sucks.
    Maybe that deal ends up going south and they'd come back to you. I wouldn't pin my hopes on it but still ... could happen.
    This. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the estate agent wasn't attempting to get you to up your offer by making up some story about another bidder coming in. Never discount just how cunty estate agents can be, they're at the top of the pondscum food chain.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dougs 29 Jan 2014 10:44:27 67,648 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good point well made.
  • ZuluHero 29 Jan 2014 10:57:59 4,142 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Ugh that sucks.
    This. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the estate agent wasn't attempting to get you to up your offer by making up some story about another bidder coming in. Never discount just how cunty estate agents can be, they're at the top of the pondscum food chain.
    Especially in America - which i am assuming is the case by calling them a "realtor"?

Really Sucks PhAge! Hope it gets sorted soon! Personally it might be worth saying well i've already offered my top so i'm going to have to let it go - that might spur a sudden change of heart?

If it doesn't then you've already been gazumped (Which is the correct term for this sort of practice)
  • Deleted user 29 January 2014 10:59:50
    Indeed. There's nothing from stopping you seeing if things develop further. At might seem desperate but who know's, it might fall on it's arse.

Also as I'm a nosey bastard / like looking at houses, is the house on Zoopla or anything?
  • RedSparrows 29 Jan 2014 11:01:01 22,593 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry phage, was me. I had to buy a house for my son to live in at university, poor dear.
  • phAge 29 Jan 2014 11:19:23 24,371 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    feeg86 wrote:
    Indeed. There's nothing from stopping you seeing if things develop further. At might seem desperate but who know's, it might fall on it's arse.

Also as I'm a nosey bastard / like looking at houses, is the house on Zoopla or anything?
    This is the place.

We've already let the seller know that we've made our very best offer (which is - almost - true), so unless the new party has a horrible accident or decides to pull out at the last minute (unlikely), we're fucked.
  • Nexus_6 29 Jan 2014 11:26:52 3,878 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its a nice place. for sure.

Losing out here will just make the feeling all the better when you get the keys to your proper pad.

Also,
    ..unless the new party has a horrible accident...
    might be a solution
  • JiveHound 29 Jan 2014 11:33:21 2,434 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You can buy houses?

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• ZuluHero 29 Jan 2014 11:33:49 4,142 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry for assuming it was an American Realtor.

/close minded

Looks lovely! If you don't hear back, I hope you find somewhere equally nice (or better! :))
  • Salaman 29 Jan 2014 11:34:35 19,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why is it unlikely they'll pull out last minute. Happens all the time doesn't it?
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Jan 2014 11:36:51 11,007 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    feeg86 wrote:

This is the place.

We've already let the seller know that we've made our very best offer (which is - almost - true), so unless the new party has a horrible accident or decides to pull out at the last minute (unlikely), we're fucked.
    That's a lovely house, here's hoping for a miracle...
    It's a bit close to Morriss though...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• speedofthepuma 29 Jan 2014 11:42:26 13,297 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lucky escape mate, looks like it's abroad to me.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Psychotext 29 Jan 2014 11:44:05 54,165 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Happened to me, wanker estate agent put us into a bidding war and I refused to play ball. It's one thing having a place you really love and another knowing for the rest of your life that you got well and truly assfucked over it.
  • DFawkes 29 Jan 2014 11:48:40 22,938 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We could always send them letters to the fake previous owner about how they owe us money, and that we'll be over to collect it it a month. Make it clear we won't take no or "we just moved in" for an answer. Send letters with more intense descriptions of the harm that will come to them soon as time goes on. Eventually they'll move out in fear of having their kneecaps removed with a rusty machete and fed to them.* Then you're in, phAge :)

Then again, that'd only work if the estate agent isn't intentionally screwing you over.

*Do NOT do this, anyone. I think threatening to cause harm to someone repeatedly is a legal grey area at best.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:49:20 29-01-2014

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Carlo 29 Jan 2014 11:51:22 18,051 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Only one way to bounch back: with an outrageous counter offer!
    And then pull out of the deal at the last moment when they can't match you.

Be the ULTIMATE TROLL! "Mutual destruction!"

PSN ID: Djini

• phAge 29 Jan 2014 11:52:09 24,371 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Happened to me, wanker estate agent put us into a bidding war and I refused to play ball. It's one thing having a place you really love and another knowing for the rest of your life that you got well and truly assfucked over it.
    Yeah. We *could* have outbid the new party (at least till they made a new offer), but it would have put too much strain on our economy. Having a nice house is great, but not if it means living under a rock for the next 10 years.

Tbh I suspected something was up when it took the realtor three days to draw up the papers, so I suspect he's been continuing to show off the property to potential buyers, even after we'd come to an agreement with the seller.

I realise that he's supposed to be the seller's man, but it still strikes me as a bit of a shitty thing to do.
  • Carlo 29 Jan 2014 11:53:51 18,051 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Why is it unlikely they'll pull out last minute. Happens all the time doesn't it?
    Reminds me of a girl I dated.

PSN ID: Djini

• docrob 29 Jan 2014 11:59:28 289 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know how things work in Denmark, but I was advised to put in my written offer that it was conditional on the agent ceasing to market the property, to stop him from looking for a higher bidder. Of course, you may have done just that and he's a dishonest twat. Or maybe Danish law works differently.
  • rudedudejude 29 Jan 2014 11:59:42 2,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sucks but yeh, be eternally thankful of your efforts that you are in a position to buy a property. A privilege that many thousands of us will never, ever be able to attain.
  • Psychotext 29 Jan 2014 12:05:55 54,165 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Salaman wrote:
    Reminds me of a girl I dated.
    That was no girl...
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous