Kingdom Come: Deliverance Page 2

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• disusedgenius 15 Jan 2018 10:30:38 8,947 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Considering he's making a game set in a medieval village in the middle of nowhere it wouldn't surprise me - I know people who grew up in a village in modern day Germany who only ever saw black people on TV.

(not that I wouldn't believe that he is a big ol' racist either, mind, but then that's just me being racist about Eastern Europeans as well)
  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Jan 2018 10:30:40 5,653 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Definitely keeping my eye on this.

The buzz around the game is huge, itís basically one of those scenarios where if the developer can realise their vision, it will be something special.

Itís kind of giving me Witcher 3 vibes in the sense that itís a European developer that doesnít have the AAA budget that other developers do.....but theyíve got a wonderful concept and talented, dedicated people working for them.

Iím predicting a 6/10 at launch with loads of promise but maybe some performance issues/bugs. If itís supported well post-release I can see it gaining a big following though.
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Jan 2018 10:37:00 39,180 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:

Itís kind of giving me Witcher 3 vibes in the sense that itís a European developer that doesnít have the AAA budget that other developers do.....
    The Witcher 3 is very much a AAA/high budget game (with production costs of more than 80 million US$, I think - no GTA V, maybe, but still enormous). Replace it with "The Witcher 1" and I am with you, though.

Edited by UncleLou at 10:38:19 15-01-2018
  • DrStrangelove 22 Jan 2018 06:50:01 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    I was looking forward to this until I read up on Warhorse and specifically their lead developer and founder. Yeah,† not getting my money.
    ???
    Tell me more, I could look it up of course, but still.
    Apparently an outspoken gamergater who got very upset about that whole pure-white-or-not-medieval-Europe thing. Also gave Breitbart an interview, gave another video interview in a Burzum shirt, and poses with bull terrier and camo jacket in a video update about his game which just sets off my bellend alarm.

(Listening to Burzum doesn't mean you share Varg Vikernes' notorious super-racist views, wearing a Burzum shirt doesn't necessarily either, but you know it is provocative if you wear one. Especially in a video interview. What caught my attention in this context is that Varg Vikernes happens to have a vlog where he walks around the countryside in a camo jacket talking cretinous drivel about white European supremacy and his romanticising fantasy version of purebred white Middle Ages.)

Edited by DrStrangelove at 08:29:05 22-01-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Jan 2018 07:19:21 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting. So will this stop potential purchases from EGers getting?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 22 Jan 2018 07:22:21 7,229 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not from me, although I won't be getting it at launch, I still have Elex waiting to be played.
  • EMarkM 22 Jan 2018 07:27:01 4,460 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Interesting. So will this stop potential purchases from EGers getting?
    Whilst I fully realise that I buy products and services every day that are no doubt produced by people whose views oppose mine, I have no real way of knowing usually.

I will not knowingly support anyone with racist views, so will definitely not be sending this person money in any way.
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Jan 2018 07:27:31 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh
    I hope you enjoy Elex. Start on easy, there is no shame, the combat is toss and made hard because of it. I managed 12 odd hours then had to concede I was not enjoying.
  • Rodderz 31 Jan 2018 10:07:51 2,927 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just under two weeks to go until this is out and looking forward to it. I've been watching a good few videos on YouTube in between PoE loading screens :D

Warhorse released a new trailer a few days ago -
    https://youtu.be/qE8tyEf22yI - and it's looking quite nice. The menus really remind me of ESIV Oblivion, the font used for text and numbers is rather similar.

I didn't realise just how much this game is going to rely on a Fallout style 'survival' mode as standard, where you will need to eat and sleep or suffer penalties, weapons degrade and need to be fixed up/sharpened and food rots over time. I've seen a few snippets of someone playing the old beta version where their Henry started to pass out because he hadn't slept for a few days!

Oh and they've got Brian Blessed doing some voice work for one of the characters in the game: https://youtu.be/CWdx0o8mrAY
    Apparently he's worked on several "playstations" (he means games) heh :D DIIIIIVVVVVVEEEE.

Edited by Rodderz at 10:09:59 31-01-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Jan 2018 10:19:52 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodderz

Having Brian Blessed is inspired. I love him and in The Black-Adder he steals each and every scene he is in.
    "FRESH HORSES"!
  • Rodderz 31 Jan 2018 13:21:56 2,927 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Rodderz

Having Brian Blessed is inspired. I love him and in The Black-Adder he steals each and every scene he is in.
    "FRESH HORSES"!
    Haha, yeah he's a great choice for a medieval setting! I wonder if they'll give him a meme worthy line :)
  • DrStrangelove 2 Feb 2018 19:32:03 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Latest trailer

Can't help but be really cautious.

I've been criticising lacklustre swordfighting in RPG games before, and on the way found some interest in HEMA (medieval swordfight sport), so more realism in this area should be great news. But I'm concerned it's overdoing it, unaware of the limitations of gaming. I mean, you can make a pretty realistic car racing game because you can (at least in theory) more or less replicate all the controls a racing car driver has. It's much more difficult with a motorbike racing game because that involves a lot of body movement. And it's even more difficult in a fighting game because that involves precise movement of all your body parts, torso, legs, feet, arms, wrists, fingers, etc. which is just impossible to do in a game.

You can see in gameplay videos that time slows down when the enemy attacks to allow you to react. Hate to tell you, but time warp isn't realistic. It may be necessary to make this all work, but neither do I like slowdowns in games nor do I think it helps realism.

It really raises the question of how far you should even try to go with your realism. Of knowing where it's enough and where it just starts killing the joy. I was praising Chivalry earlier, not because it's super realistic but because I think it hits a sweet spot in the middle where it's the most fun. Taking the realistic parts where they add to the gameplay, leaving them where they don't.

I could say similar things about the scenery. The environments in this, the woods etc. look brilliantly realistic. The downside is, it looks just like some random place I could visit not far from here, just without the actual fresh air, sun in your face, etc. Witcher 3 has a much more detailed environment than Skyrim--which I love--but the downside is that it may feel less interesting because it's similar to what I find around here in the real world. It's still interesting enough, but Kingdom Come seems to take it to a point where it's just exactly the same I find around here. If you're not careful, the more realistic your environments are, the more mundane and less interesting they may become.

I know this game doesn't try to catch you with a fantastic fantasy world, but it really makes me wonder how many people are really interested in that. Most of gaming tends to be about things that are beyond what you find close to your doorstep. I do wonder how people feel about it to whom central European forest landscapes and castles are alien, but the escapist side of me is underwhelmed.

And then there are the more obvious problems. The foul-mouthing seen in some of the videos is an overly transparent and ham-fisted attempt to ape The Witcher, but I'll let that slip. I'm less impressed by the almost nonexistent facial expressions and the UI which seem to be straight out of Oblivion. Skyrim, a PS3 era game not exactly praised for its lifelike NPCs even 6 years ago, seems way ahead of this in terms of facial expression.

"But it's more realistic! It doesn't have benches in churches because that is what it was like back then!" Yes, I admire that focus on historical accuracy, but I'm not sure that's the most pressing issue for a mass-market game.

And then, combat. First person one-on-one seems somewhat clunky and badly animated, but yes, maybe it is more fun actually playing it. However, watching NPCs fighting each other, especially in groups, is just embarrassing. They haplessly stand there between each other, sometimes striking one another, apparently focussed on a single enemy while completely oblivious of anything else happening around them. It looks like a clump of soldiers just standing there, staring at someone else and occasionally kicking/striking them. Again, this looks like something from the Oblivion era.

There were also many complaints about plenty of bugs by testers, but let's just assume they'll get that sorted for the release version.

There is praise for the open approach to completing quests, but I remain cautious. I'm no friend of hasty judgement, no friend of being negative, but so far this looks like a very niche game to me, a flawed/broken game that bites off much more than it can chew.

I do expect a major disappointment and would bet on middling reviews.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:56:01 02-02-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Feb 2018 11:39:45 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DrStrangelove
    You sum up a lot of what I feel, which is a shame as I really, really want to like this game. I'm just really unsure. I read a hands on earlier today and the chap playing was not overly impressed either, especially the combat.
    I suppose at the very least we only have just over a week to find out. As far as reviews/scores go I'm thinking maybe 5/10's with love for the setting and choice but not too much else. I absolutely can find gems were others cant, I have mentioned many times over many years but I love the 2 Two Worlds games and they are both still in my gaming collection, both the collectors editions in fact!
    I would not have thought there were many of us who sing their praise.

Back to KC: D, Please let me be wrong.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Feb 2018 10:16:11 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheveo/trophy list is out, for those that care :)
    Not a bad mix actually.
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Feb 2018 10:29:10 39,180 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    The downside is, it looks just like some random place I could visit not far from here, just without the actual fresh air, sun in your face, etc. Witcher 3 has a much more detailed environment than Skyrim--which I love--but the downside is that it may feel less interesting because it's similar to what I find around here in the real world.
    I got to disagree with this. I've said it before, you can tell that Piranha Bytes, and CD Projekt Red, and Warhorse (going by the alpha) are European developers, and I find them much better at designing natural, authentic (European) landscapes than most American developers. Skyrim always feels to me like a bit of a fake, theme park version of different parts of Scandinavia and Iceland. It never feels particularly mysterious to me, more like an inferior, cobbled up and not very convincing version of what I know.

The Witcher 3 absolutely *nails* North-Eastern Europe, and this sort of realism makes for a much more immersive, interesting environment for me. It doesn't look like Bavaria, and doesn't look like France, or Austria, or Sweden - it looks like North-East Germany/Poland.

Funnily enough, the "Mediterranean" addon isn't nearly as convincing from that point of view. :)

On a sidenote, Japanese developers are also surprisingly good at (European) landscapes - be it Dragon's Dogma, Breath of the Wild or - to a lesser degree - the Souls games.

As for the rest of your points, I agree that people will be disappointed, mostly because they don't have realistic expectations. This is not The Witcher 3 - but neither was The Witcher 1 the Witcher 3, if you know what I mean...

Edited by UncleLou at 10:40:20 06-02-2018
  • DrStrangelove 6 Feb 2018 19:33:22 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @UncleLou

I very much agree with you, in fact I think for the most part we mean the same thing, the main difference seems to be one of taste.

There's no doubt Skyrim is less realistic. It is, as you said, a hotchpotch of different Scandinavia/Iceland-inspired locations (temperate climate a few kilometres away from tundra, no less), filled with exaggerated Ancient Nord and Dwarven ruins. Add to that fantasy castles like the College of Winterhold or Windhelm's Palace of the Kings, or all that Dawnguard stuff, and it's pretty clear this is a LOTR-style fantasy world.

It also takes a rather liberal approach with its cultures and equipment, mashing together Roman, Moorish, Viking and Samurai stuff. Weapons are typical fantasy stuff, especially the silly Daedric ones.

It's just a different approach than Witcher 3's realism. I find the love for detail in W3 hugely impressive, I love how it does realistic-looking weapons for a change (there are Skyrim mods that give you similar weapons, but they look kinda out of place in Skyrim's fantasy world).

My personal highlight are the meticulously recreated medieval cities and castles. I do get those landscapes over here in central Europe, but I don't get actual medieval cities. That is where it's super-immersive to me, the landscapes less so, because as realistic as they are (or because of that), they feel somewhat common to me. That includes Touissant, as southern Germany looks a lot like that.

However it still has a little fantasy touch, as opposed to Kingdom Come, whose photorealism makes the woods and landscapes feel just too ordinary to me. I used to ask for more realism, but now that it's there I've realised I have a desire for game worlds that enthral me. And the more it looks like what I have here when I go to the countryside, the less it interests me.

I think if a game realistically recreated other places on Earth, ones that feel exotic to me, I'd be excited. I'd die for realistic Norway or Iceland. It just so happens that the landscapes of Kingdom Come, and to a lesser extent Witcher 3, are just too familiar to me.

But reflecting on this, yes I guess my lack of excitement in this regard has more to do with choice of setting than realism.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:47:21 06-02-2018
  • mothercruncher 6 Feb 2018 19:55:55 14,500 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it that disgusting cheese with all the maggot shit in?
  • DUFFMAN5 7 Feb 2018 08:02:45 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just read a rather long preview...alas my heart sinketh some more. This may not be the rpg I was looking for.
    I still have hope, but I think I know this is not going to be great.

The biggest complaint I keep reading is about the lack of actual fun, which a game needs to be or rather needs to be entertaining and draw you in.
    I think WH maybe overstated the authenticity, if indeed you can, to the detriment of enjoyment.

Anyway not long to wait and see/read at least.
  • DrStrangelove 7 Feb 2018 14:12:33 11,984 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Just read a rather long preview...
    Care to share the link?
  • drhcnip 7 Feb 2018 15:22:15 5,673 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    i fell out of love with the idea of this when i found out it was first person...fps, i can do, fp swords & sorcery i hate...:(
  • Rodderz 9 Feb 2018 16:55:33 2,927 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.google.es/amp/s/gadgets.ndtv.com/games/news/kingdom-come-deliverance-ps4-day-one-patch-download-size-is-23gb-1810804%3famp=1&akamai-rum=off

Day one patch on PS4 is 23gb(!) and makes important changes/improvements apparently.
  • d_h1234 9 Feb 2018 19:54:32 41 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just wish the combat was a bit less "realistic" (ie; robotic and terrible) and more like For Honor or something, bit more energised and exciting.
  • elvenscroll 10 Feb 2018 11:51:00 1,668 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This just turned up from Simply. Xbox one update is available now and its 21.7 GB. /o\
  • Darren 10 Feb 2018 11:58:09 9,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got the Xbox One version this morning (for my X) - ironically while I was watching a playthrough of the first hour and a half of the game on the ESO YouTube channel - and was somewhat disappointed to discover that the game does not install anything from the disc but instead downloads 21.5 GB instead. So instead of being able to play this at noon, it looks like it will be much later on today before I can try it as I am still on a non-fibre internet connection that maxes out at around 1.4 MB/sec download.

Why isn't the game installed from disc?!? Surely it would make more sense to install the majority of content from the disc and just patch any updates/changes... you know, like every other console game out there!

Edited by Darren at 12:15:43 10-02-2018
  • Darren 10 Feb 2018 11:59:27 9,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    P.S. Got the game from ShopTo.net.
  • Darren 10 Feb 2018 12:03:17 9,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    elvenscroll wrote:
    This just turned up from Simply. Xbox one update is available now and its 21.7 GB. /o\
    If you check the install stats it shows that only 161.98 MB is installed from the disc so that 21.75 GB "update" actually includes the game install itself since it doesn't appear anything but the installer is copied from the disc.
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Feb 2018 12:08:04 22,420 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Darren
    Look forward to hearing your first impressions, I'm sat firmly on the fence as to buy or not.
  • mothercruncher 10 Feb 2018 12:10:43 14,500 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is installed from disc, but because of the way itís built- in 2Gb chunks- youíre downloading much of it again even though sometimes only a tiny bit of code has been changed in one of those chunks.
    If I were still on my crap BT connection Iíd be livid- itís be 24 hours of downloading before playing ma new game.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.