Are 1st party exclusives important in the console battle anymore?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • LetsGo 27 Jan 2014 22:27:13 5,184 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sure, we all know that 'you cannot buy this on any other console' could be important, but I don't think they have a major impact like they used too.

Lets look at some of the biggest games;

GTA, FIFA, AssCreed COD and Battlefield - all multiplatform.

Sure, exclusives most likely help, it must be great to say 'Halo is only available on this console', but with multi-platform games so popular now, I think people think two things...;

- Where are my friends gaming
    - Which console will offer me the best experience for the games I play

I won't lie, I'm a massive PS4 fan after moving over from the 360, I really cannot believe what a terrible console MS have built.

From Kinect a must to being technically worse than the PS4, and more expensive!

I do not think console exclusives can save the Xbone, I think this console race is already close to being over UNLESS, MS release a Xbone 1.5.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jan 2014 22:35:06 37,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The exclusives are the reason I bought the PS2, Gamecube, 360, PS3, Vita, 3DS and Xbox One. When the PS4 has games I want I'll buy one...

So yes, they still matter. They're still my primary reason to buy a console.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Punctum 27 Jan 2014 22:35:26 933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    As soon as Bungie went multi platform, there was no reason for me to stay with Microsoft. Added to the fact Naughty Dog remain exclusive to Sony it's an easy decision to go with PS4.

If Bungie did another Halo game exclusively on the Xbone, I'd probably bite.

So yes, they're important.
  • LetsGo 27 Jan 2014 22:37:07 5,184 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you are in the minority Tom, I think most people care about how the MAJORITY of their games run.

I think they saw to themself;
    'Ahh crap, I've not got Halo but I guess Battlefield, FIFA, COD, Tomb Raider etc... all run much better on the PS4, I can live with no Halo'.

Thanks for your input tho, I just disagree.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2014 22:38:01 77,686 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They're quite literally the only thing that distinguishes the plastic boxes of shit from each other, so yes, obviously they're important.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• oceanmotion 27 Jan 2014 22:38:28 15,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't like Assassins Creed, COD and BF isn't worth the bother anymore. Only play FIFA on the odd occasion at friends houses and haven't bought a copy since forever. GTA is what, every 4 years or something.

I want exclusives. Wouldn't have bought an Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, 360 without them.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Jan 2014 22:38:31 7,220 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Of course they're important. I don't choose consoles because I like the social features or the controllers or whatever.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jan 2014 22:41:21 37,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like everyone is disagreeing with you so far LetsGo. Maybe you should stick to declaring celebrity deaths rather than trying to trying to predict console deaths.

• barchetta 27 Jan 2014 22:43:58 1,323 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep. Still a valid argument for me though perhaps the fact that both consoles launched nigh-on simultaneously is magnifying the comparisons somewhat unhelpfully for Microsoft.

If they had as compelling an exclusive launch title as Halo was on Xbox then perhaps things would look a little different. I don't imagine that sort of lightning is ever going to strike twice though.

Having said that, I had a chance to play a few laps of Bathurst in the old Ferrari F1 racer in Forza 5 last Saturday.... most compelling reason to choose either console I've experienced yet.
  • LetsGo 27 Jan 2014 22:44:04 5,184 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Indeed Tom.

I guess that must mean looking at the sales figures that the PS4 has the best exclusives.
    I'd say it was the Xbone but I guess the facts don't lie.

But lets not get this into a troll discussion, I still believe that exclusives are much less important now-a-days.

Edited by LetsGo at 22:44:41 27-01-2014
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2014 22:44:48 77,686 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wonder what exclusive he's butthurt about not being on his console of choice.

I want to know so I can grind my heel into his tiny fucking forehead.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• wayneh 27 Jan 2014 22:52:05 2,314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Exclusives are the only reason to choose a console, most multi-platform games run identically or with so little difference that it doesn't matter

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2014 22:53:27 10,570 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They matter to me, they're the reason I'll buy a console.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Punctum 27 Jan 2014 22:53:27 933 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    But the sales figures aren't entirely driven by exclusives. I'm pretty sure the poor publicity driven by inferior technical performance, pricing, pre owned policy uturns, etc have hurt sales more than people preferring KZ4 and Infamous Second son.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2014 22:54:28 10,570 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    They're quite literally the only thing that distinguishes the plastic boxes of shit from each other, so yes, obviously they're important.
    PCs are for the cuntz etc.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 27 Jan 2014 22:54:29 37,795 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let's not get into a troll discussion? You create a trashy thread having a good ol' pop at the "Xbone", using a flawed argument and declaring a console that's already sold 3 mil units as dead.

So too late, it was a troll since post 1. Keep this shit on the front page with the rest of the crap.

• LetsGo 27 Jan 2014 22:59:19 5,184 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Let's not get into a troll discussion? You create a trashy thread having a good ol' pop at the "Xbone", using a flawed argument and declaring a console that's already sold 3 mil units as dead.

So too late, it was a troll since post 1. Keep this shit on the front page with the rest of the crap.
    Tom, its really not a troll thread at all.
    I WANT the Xbone to do well, the games industry NEEDS it to do well BUT, I really think, without a reboot and technically superior specs to the current console, it will slowly fade away.

Sure, its already sold 3million+ but that was a given, the hardcore was always going to snap up BOTH consoles at lunch, the KEY is going to be long-term, when your average joe goes into a shop and makes a decision on which to purchase, someone without a connection to either.

Having an opinion on something does not constitute one to being a troll.

FWIW, I do think MS have the best exclusive line-up, I just don't think it matters, people want the best versions of FIFA, COD, BF etc... and console exclusives are behind that.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2014 23:03:37 10,570 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Tom, its really not a troll thread at all.
    I WANT the Xbone to do well, the games industry NEEDS it to do well BUT, I really think, without a reboot and technically superior specs to the current console, it will slowly fade away.

Sure, its already sold 3million+ but that was a given, the hardcore was always going to snap up BOTH consoles at lunch, the KEY is going to be long-term, when your average joe goes into a shop and makes a decision on which to purchase, someone without a connection to either.

Having an opinion on something does not constitute one to being a troll.

FWIW, I do think MS have the best exclusive line-up, I just don't think it matters, people want the best versions of FIFA, COD, BF etc... and console exclusives are behind that.
    Most people don't give a fuck or wouldn't notice the differences in multi-platform games, exclusives are far more important. Uncharted or Titanfall will make far more of a difference.
    The 27 people who really care about the best multi-platform version will have a PC.

• PazJohnMitch 27 Jan 2014 23:07:00 8,001 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Generally choose first console based on which I think will have the rosiest future and best portfolio of games. (Generally get it wrong. Went for PS4 this time).

I then tend to buy the other consoles when there is an exclusive I want.

For example bought a GC, then got a DC for Skies of Arcadia, an Xbox for Halo and a PS2 for FFX.
    Next gen bought a Wii, then a 360 for Gears and a PS3 for MGS4 and Uncharted.
  • beastmaster 27 Jan 2014 23:12:40 11,322 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Both both (+Wii U). There's a very noticeable difference in the multi-platform stuff and that's why PS4 is the choice for those kinds of games.

I bought both for the exclusives though. However, Assassin's Creed 4 and Battlefield 4 on the PS4 are what are really holding my attention at the moment.

Titanfall may end up being hyped up more than and COD or FIFA game and it'll sell a LOT of Ones.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• JiveHound 27 Jan 2014 23:39:12 2,411 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I really was set on PS4 this gen buy the first party exclusives swung it for me so I'd say they're important.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• DjFlex52 27 Jan 2014 23:42:31 127 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exclusives will always matter because it gives gamers a choice of their preferred console based on the types of games they like. We all know taste in games are subjective (apparently lots of people actually want even more Uncharted and Infamous).

I'm of the opinion that MS really wants to take total control of the just the American gaming market and the rest of the world is not as important (why they only released in 13 countries). That's the only sensible reason for them to include Kinect, NFL, TV Cable as premium features besides games with the Xbox One. Those features are primarily American focused.
  • Syrette 27 Jan 2014 23:45:30 43,292 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    I do not think console exclusives can save the Xbone, I think this console race is already close to being over UNLESS, MS release a Xbone 1.5.
    Oh dear.

• Mola_Ram 27 Jan 2014 23:58:40 7,220 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To take another case, the WiiU isn't doing terribly well, but nobody at all would have bought one if it weren't for the exclusives.
  • megastar 28 Jan 2014 00:05:21 17,176 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can kinda see where the OP is going here. I mean Mario and Zelda games are where it's really at, but I'm fucked if I'm gonna buy another Nintendo console until they stop fannying about with daft gimmicks and release something half decent.
  • PenguinJim 28 Jan 2014 00:10:11 5,828 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The exclusives are important, but so is value, as well as shallow things like how the game looks. So objectively, if you want the best-looking games as well as the best value, it's going to have to be Microsoft at the moment.

LetsGo, did you ever get that link for where you said a credit card was required for new accounts on the Bone?
  • imamazed 28 Jan 2014 00:16:37 5,533 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Put it this way. I will buy an xbone when halo 5 comes out.
  • megastar 28 Jan 2014 00:25:52 17,176 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of exclusives. This.. this.. Titanfall thing. I just don't get it at all. I mean really??
  • Mola_Ram 28 Jan 2014 00:26:35 7,220 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    The exclusives are important, but so is value, as well as shallow things like how the game looks. So objectively, if you want the best-looking games as well as the best value, it's going to have to be Microsoft at the moment.
    If people really cared about "value" and having the best looking games, they'd get a PC.

But they don't. Why? Well, possibly because they're idiots, but also because of exclusives.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous