Visiting Beijing Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • SClaw 21 Jan 2013 16:30:23 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RabidChild

Totally missed this thread over the weekend!

Glad you got a little celebrity experience! Itís completely weird. I think itís a really Chinese experience, as Iíve been to some right shitty places in the world where they donít get whitey all that often but didnít make a fuss. I quite like it.

Yeah the red armbandsÖ itís nothing. The explanation I got was a little confusing, but they are volunteers basically Ė they were compared to the Rotary Club when I asked. The truth is a bit more complex, as they have a reputation for being a soft form of state spies to make sure the young Ďun arenít doing anything naughty. But you have to be careful with stuff like that Ė thereís still a lot of anti-China propaganda around these days. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Donít be too gutted about the Wall. Itís really not that impressive and the trip is a minor pain.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Feb 2013 03:56:11 7,948 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Landed in Beijing on Monday afternoon and then took the train to Zibo. Not seen the sun yet. Yesterday morning the smog was so thick it was impossible to see to the opposite side of the road. In fact merely seeing the back of the car 4ft in front proved difficult. It looked like a pair of red lights suspended in the air. The polution also had a strong taste.

Last night it rained. So visibility has improved dramatically but is still poor.
  • Phattso Moderator 1 Feb 2013 05:54:19 13,253 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Donít be too gutted about the Wall. Itís really not that impressive and the trip is a minor pain.
    I've very very rarely heard this opinion. I was there in November and it was a piece of piss to get to (unless taking a train is a pain?) and was an amazing experience. For sure the more crowded parts (like much of China) spoil the effect but it's not as though there isn't enough of the wall to find some space. :)
  • Tonka 1 Feb 2013 07:09:55 20,143 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The wall is amazing. Especially the old crumbled parts that are taken over by nature.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next