• whatfruit 6 Feb 2014 15:39:51 1,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    whatfruit wrote:
    I quite like Cyberpowered laptops me.

This is there cheapest model.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X6-7400/
    That's actually a bit of a bargain, I'll have to keep them in mind for my next upgrade. But fuck me if they're not absolutely hideous.
    There not great on the aesthetics but they give a nice bang for their buck for an extra 50 you can get a 1TB hard drive and 8GB of ram.
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 15:39:53 3,919 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @imamazed Well this is why I recommend integrated solutions rather than the dedicated cards. Yes, you get better performance, but the system as a whole isn't really designed to run those cards for long periods of time. Also, as you experienced, there can be problems with the card which requires a lot of arsing about.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 15:41:55 1,875 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @imamazed Well this is why I recommend integrated solutions rather than the dedicated cards. Yes, you get better performance, but the system as a whole isn't really designed to run those cards for long periods of time. Also, as you experienced, there can be problems with the card which requires a lot of arsing about.
    But if you want to really play games (and have no room for a desktop - we've been here before!), integrated graphics suck balls compared to dedicated cards. This is true of even the most recent solutions from Intel, which although better than they used to be, are still not as good as a dedicated solution, as much of a PITA as they may be.
  • imamazed 6 Feb 2014 15:42:57 5,524 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Moot_Point Yeh, I appreciate that. Hopefully, personally at least, the arsing about is all over now though; and I just have the benefits! And, as I say, if you are a big PC gamer it might be an idea to avoid them.
  • binky Moderator 6 Feb 2014 15:44:22 9,456 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @midnight_walker That does look quite fitting actually. Wonder if it's worth the punt of an i7 version over the i5 for the extra 100?
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 15:47:18 3,919 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @midnight_walker With laptops you have to bare in mind that they are always going to be 1-2 years behind desktops. And yes we have been here before ;) but there are new solutions out there that reduce the bulk of a desktop without being drastically underpowered for the majority of PC games out there now.

Mobile solutions to PC gaming will never be an overall equivalent of a desktop, ever.

================================================================================

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 15:47:46 1,875 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @midnight_walker That does look quite fitting actually. Wonder if it's worth the punt of an i7 version over the i5 for the extra 100?
    Depends what you're using it for really. For gaming the i7 will offer little benefit, but if you're doing more than that, or more at once, it can make a difference. I have an i7 in mine (same as imamazed by all accounts) which I use for ripping DVDs and Blu Rays (whilst playing games) and it goes like shit off a shovel.

Edited by midnight_walker at 15:52:24 06-02-2014
  • binky Moderator 6 Feb 2014 15:49:53 9,456 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The majority of its use will be for writing and web based stuff I'd imagine. Gaming will be secondary but still a consideration. i have a mac for all my desktop needs. So sounds like it could be overkill.
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 15:51:09 3,919 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    @Moot_Point Yeh, I appreciate that. Hopefully, personally at least, the arsing about is all over now though; and I just have the benefits! And, as I say, if you are a big PC gamer it might be an idea to avoid them.
    My current laptop is 2 years old and was one of the first i5 laptops with HD3000 integrated graphics. It still surprises me with the stuff it does run without any problems (dark souls for example). I do want to upgrade, but I will wait for the HD5000 chipsets to arrive before doing so. But I know my current lappy is good enough for what I need it for.

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 15:51:52 1,875 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Moot_Point Yes, that's a very fair point - the portability does come at a performance cost, and everyone will have to work out if that compromise is worth it for them. For me, it absolutely is. I can have the laptop on my lap playing something on med/high while the Mrs watches some bollocks on the big TV. If you're a hardcore PC gamer who wants everything on Ultra at 120fps, you really do need a dedicated desktop PC. But for someone like me, a laptop is really the only choice.
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 16:05:01 3,919 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @midnight_walker Well I would question the longevity of the laptop screen more than anything else to be fair. The LDC/LED is being pushed harder than it would be if you just used an integrated solution. Once I upgrade my lappy, I should be able to run both DS and DS2 without the need for a dedicated graphics card.

Edit; Cards probably affect the battery life too.

Edited by Moot_Point at 16:05:57 06-02-2014

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 16:10:22 1,875 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cards unquestionably affect the battery life, just because they suck more power and thus need to be charged more often. But I'm not sure about the LCD - very, very rarely have I ever seen a laptop's display just die. They either work forever or get smashed to pieces nine times out of ten.
  • Dirtbox 6 Feb 2014 16:11:36 77,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Make a desktop PC and use Steam Home Streaming.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 16:14:41 1,875 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    This is something that has been on my mind for a while. I have no room for a full setup with monitor/desk etc, but I could conceivably build a small rig and hide it somewhere out of the way. Is the Streaming available to everyone yet? Last I heard it was in beta.
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 16:17:57 3,919 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @midnight_walker Over a period of time (say a year for instance) you will notice the screen becoming dimer, even though the brightness settings are at maximum. This is the screen failing. You can replace them of course. Like I said, I've had mine for 2 years and haven't had to max out brightness yet, in fact I haven't changed the settings since I set up the laptop.

@Dirtbox Hehe! Thought you may say such things.

• Dirtbox 6 Feb 2014 16:24:30 77,480 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    This is something that has been on my mind for a while. I have no room for a full setup with monitor/desk etc, but I could conceivably build a small rig and hide it somewhere out of the way. Is the Streaming available to everyone yet? Last I heard it was in beta.
    Beta, but it's not hard to get into.

Thread

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• sherpa1984 6 Feb 2014 16:55:15 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm on the lookout for a laptop too: thinking about moving flat and I'm not sure I want to be bring my desktop with me.

All I want graphics-performance wise is being able to get Hearthstone and Dota 2 to run well.

The bigger issue is getting rid of the desktop. It's an i5 3570k, 8GB RAM, GTX 570, 120GB SSD with 750GB HDD, Win 8.1, 120Hz monitor, mechanical keyboard; so wouldn't just want to flog it for next to nothing. Anyone got ideas of the best place to advertise it? Just ebay?

Edited by sherpa1984 at 16:59:11 06-02-2014
  • PenguinJim 6 Feb 2014 17:16:32 5,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You could always try our very own PC Parts Selling thread!

Certainly better to move it privately if you can, as even if you sell it for 15% less than on eBay, you'd be gouged at least that in selling fees and Paypal fees and the extreme risk of their "buyer protection".
  • sherpa1984 6 Feb 2014 17:32:33 220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    You could always try our very own PC Parts Selling thread!

Certainly better to move it privately if you can, as even if you sell it for 15% less than on eBay, you'd be gouged at least that in selling fees and Paypal fees and the extreme risk of their "buyer protection".
    Great advice, thanks Jim!
  • MightyMouse 6 Feb 2014 18:07:26 1,127 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The XMG P303 is good value, and crucially has a 1920x1080 screen that a lot of cheaper laptops don't.
  • PenguinJim 6 Feb 2014 18:41:09 5,758 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    1080P on a 13.3" screen is very nice, but it might cause some problems if you do almost any work on the laptop, as scaling in Windows isn't quite perfect, and things will be TINY! I think 1080P even on a 15.6" screen is a matter of taste (I like it! But I'm sure for some people things are TINY!) - for 13.3" and 14" 1600x900 might be more appropriate, possibly. Maybe.

Fucking hell, and the weight on those! :D
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next