New gaming laptop (cheap)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • All_Good 25 Jan 2014 14:55:34 86 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    All,

My laptop has died and this is causing me some issues as I can't play on steam without one!

I need a laptop that I can play the latest PC exclusives and the odd multiplatform games and a general all rounder with work and movies too!

Only issue is I have no clue what is a good mobile graphics card and what is a load of s**t. (And my budget being only 500)

Anyone got any laptops they could recommend

Cheers
  • Roddles 25 Jan 2014 15:09:28 1,430 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nvidia 740M or 650M is the best you'll get for around 500. It can handle games pretty well at 1366x768 too. I used to play Borderlands 2 on my old 650M laptop and would get between 40-60fps on highish settings.

If you want to do PC gaming on a laptop, do not under any circumstances get a machine that only has an onboard GPU.

Edited by Roddles at 15:22:52 25-01-2014
  • Moot_Point 25 Jan 2014 15:18:16 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This? Slightly more, but incredibly cheap for a touchscreen lappy.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Roddles 25 Jan 2014 15:22:10 1,430 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.
  • Moot_Point 25 Jan 2014 15:26:31 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Roddles wrote:
    That doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.
    Having a dedicated graphics card generates way too much heat, and reduces the lifespan of the laptop. Most integrated solutions are highly optimised and reduce the need for an additional card.

If you need a graphics card in a laptop, you should reconsider and buy a desktop instead.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• Roddles 25 Jan 2014 15:33:53 1,430 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The poster required a gaming laptop though. Onboard graphics are absolutely terrible for PC gaming. A laptop with an onboard GPU is a laptop that can play games at low settings and poor framerates. It is not a gaming laptop.

Indeed if you want to do proper PC gaming you should have a desktop PC, however the poster is requesting a gaming laptop which obviously suits his or her needs, so there's no need to derail helping the poster's thread with personal opinions.

:)

Edited by Roddles at 15:34:46 25-01-2014
  • Moot_Point 25 Jan 2014 15:41:09 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Roddles You sound out of touch a little ;). Most of the i5 integrated solutions are supplied by Radeon (AMD) and ATI (Intel). Most current games will run ok on medium settings. The OP may just need to upgrade the RAM to 8Gb, that would be my only concern with the laptop I linked.

Edited by Moot_Point at 15:41:39 25-01-2014

• Moot_Point 25 Jan 2014 16:20:55 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Article about modern integrated graphics. Linky.

Edited by Moot_Point at 16:22:03 25-01-2014

• PenguinJim 25 Jan 2014 16:25:01 5,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    Article about modern integrated graphics. Linky.
    Indeed.

Now link to a 500 laptop with the Iris 5100 or 5200! Not the shitty 4400.

Edit: I've not seen it in the UK cheaply, but I picked up an Acer R7-571G for 585.66 at the beginning of this month. It's got a GDDR5 750M, which pisses all over the 5200, and a 1080P 15.6" IPS touchscreen. It's got a brilliant hinge thingy which has worked really well in practice, but only if you prefer mouses to touchpads.

But it would be a lot easier to make recommendations if we knew what screen size you were after!

Edited by PenguinJim at 16:31:48 25-01-2014
  • midnight_walker 25 Jan 2014 17:32:58 1,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bought the i7 version of these for the ICT guys at work and they love me forever.

Edited by midnight_walker at 17:33:54 25-01-2014
  • PenguinJim 26 Jan 2014 04:12:09 5,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooh, that's a good price. I can't see anything wrong with that, except a tad under-future-proofed.

Make sure to see if they're on quidco or top cashback before you order!
  • Lamb 26 Jan 2014 07:17:08 467 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not a laptop, but a different option.

http://www.scan.co.uk/info/steam
  • PenguinJim 26 Jan 2014 08:07:41 5,454 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Lamb At least 200 over the 500 budget, doesn't play the latest PC exclusives (as they'll need to have Linux support), limited work options as it's SteamOS and not Windows, and isn't a laptop. :D Take a look at what the OP asked for here
  • binky Moderator 6 Feb 2014 12:47:43 9,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been a LONG while since owning a PC but I think I want a laptop for writing and some gaming.
    I've been an apple boy for ages now. The last version of Windows I used properly was XP. I have a 3 year old iMac for the majority of my stuff but fancy something a bit more portable for out and about and around the house

I have no idea who to avoid and who to love in terms of manufacturer names any more.
    What works better in a laptop AMD or Intel?
    What graphics chip/card to look out for if I want to play games from this year on it?
    13-15" screen is ample - I can always hook it up to an LCD tv for gaming, I presume?

Is that possible for less than 700?

If any of you have any anecdotal evidence on what to look for what to avoid it would be very welcome.
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 13:34:22 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @binky Personally, I would wait until the HD5000 chipsets start filtering through before buying a laptop. You could go dedicated, but the cards generate a lot of heat that would decrease longevity over time. Apple already have the HD5000 chipsets, but they are more than I'm willing to pay.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 6 Feb 2014 13:38:47 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yeah most laptops have hdmi out now.
  • TheDarkKnight 6 Feb 2014 14:03:16 595 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Sorry to jump into this thread, but I've been looking for a decent laptop for a bit. Can anyone give me an opinion on this one (ASUS X550CC core i5 8gb RAM). I don't want bleeding edge graphics, just enough to run recent games, maybe some video editing and general internet-ery.

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 14:13:57 1,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheDarkKnight wrote:
    Sorry to jump into this thread, but I've been looking for a decent laptop for a bit. Can anyone give me an opinion on this one (ASUS X550CC core i5 8gb RAM). I don't want bleeding edge graphics, just enough to run recent games, maybe some video editing and general internet-ery.
    It's quite expensive for what it is. This is more for less.

(I don't work for Lenovo)

Edited by midnight_walker at 14:18:18 06-02-2014
  • binky Moderator 6 Feb 2014 14:50:34 9,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for replying chaps.

In the mean while I was also scuttering around some old threads trying to glean as much information as I could. I've also been questioning how much of a gaming laptop I really need as opposed to something lightweight with good battery life and frankly that is probably a lot more important considering I have a Xbone under the TV and a Vita in my bag.

From what I've read a 500-700 laptop isn't really going to offer me anything I won't already have access to in terms of gaming, so it's probably worth focussing on what I really need it for - which is a fast, reliable, portable writing machine.

Does that sound fair?
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 14:56:42 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @binky If that's the case, I would go for the cheapest referb I could lay my hands on. You might get a few games to run on it, but nothing special.

• binky Moderator 6 Feb 2014 15:02:47 9,236 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, worth a look at. That said, if I found something for 500 that could run Planetside 2 I'd be made up :D

Very wishful thinking.
  • midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 15:04:54 1,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Planetside 2 has fairly modest specs. Both the laptops I linked to will run it all day long.
  • TheDarkKnight 6 Feb 2014 15:25:16 595 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @midnight_walker How much more value/performance is it? I can't afford to buy outright, so would be going the finance route through K&Co as I have an account with credit. The most similar Lenovo laptop to that one is over 800 though.

Am I correct that i3 < i5 < i7?

Edited by TheDarkKnight at 15:47:47 06-02-2014

A silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Dark Knight. Twitch PSN The_Apostle

• Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 15:27:22 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @binky This?

It may be worth upgrading the memory to 8Gb, if you can. Not sure of the integrated graphics version (google failed me!), but it should be around the 4800 series.

You could go with Mr Walkers suggestion of a dedicated graphics laptop, but you know my thoughts on dedicated graphics cards. ;)

• imamazed 6 Feb 2014 15:32:23 5,453 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dedicated gfx cards in laptops are worth it if you game occasionally, but you're probably not going to notice the difference under 700. I managed to get a dedicated gfx card with a 600 laptop and (once I got the bloody thing to work) I have noticed a big performance increase with games; but I can't vouch for its effect on temperature. I don't game all that often, and don't even keep an eye on that sort of thing anyway.
  • midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 15:33:51 1,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TheDarkKnight I shouldn't have said more for less, it's more for the same. The graphics card in the Lenovo is significantly better - it will run pretty much anything you throw at it on Med/High settings as of right this second. That will obviously change as devs cater everything for the new generation of consoles, however. The CPU in the Lenovo is brand new whereas in the Asus, it's last year's model, which in real terms means you'll probably get an extra year out of the laptop. The performance gains are likely to be equal to or less than 10%.

And yes, i3 < i5 < i7.

Edited by midnight_walker at 15:34:57 06-02-2014
  • Moot_Point 6 Feb 2014 15:35:23 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @imamazed Didn't you have card issues with your laptop, because it was reverting to the integrated solution?

My bad if that wasn't you. :)

• imamazed 6 Feb 2014 15:36:32 5,453 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Moot_Point Haha yeh that was me.

I got the external one working in the end!

Of course, I'm assuming that other laptops with dedicated gfx cards actually work straight off the bat...
  • whatfruit 6 Feb 2014 15:36:50 1,080 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I quite like Cyberpowered laptops me.

This is there cheapest model.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X6-7400/
  • midnight_walker 6 Feb 2014 15:38:29 1,634 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    I quite like Cyberpowered laptops me.

This is there cheapest model.

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Xplorer_X6-7400/
    That's actually a bit of a bargain, I'll have to keep them in mind for my next upgrade. But fuck me if they're not absolutely hideous.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous