Benefit Street

  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
  • TheSaint 10 Jan 2014 10:33:39 15,788 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did anyone watch this? Have to admit that it totally passed me by but all the controversy is tempting me to look it up on 4OD.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/thousands-sign-petition-urging-channel-4-to-drop-benefits-street-9047223.html
  • Latin 10 Jan 2014 10:44:10 3,954 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched it, there were both good and bad representations of people on the street...

    People complaining will say it comes down to editing and a political agenda, which is probably true to a large extent.

    However when one of the characters is a fully qualified PT and someone who, on the very same day of being released from prison, goes and steals 200 worth of clothing, you can understand the outrage as well.

    It's definitely NOT representative of the vast majority of benefits claimants, who I believe are pensioners, but then what did people expect? No-one is going to watch a programme about a bunch of pensioners sitting at home... And that's what matters to the TV producers! Ratings...
  • TheSaint 10 Jan 2014 10:47:06 15,788 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worth watching or not?
  • StixxUK 10 Jan 2014 10:54:00 7,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The whole point of the programme was to entertain people by enraging them. Pretty irresponsible business to be in, but nothing new.
  • Latin 10 Jan 2014 11:02:05 3,954 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TheSaint Might as well, next week they introduce the immigrant family so the shit show on twitter should be enetertaining
  • Trafford 10 Jan 2014 11:05:02 6,897 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The producer of the show was on yesterdays Newsnight. He admitted that despite working on the show for nearly 2 years, they only settled on its title a month or so ago. And obviously the residents had no idea of the shows real agenda.
    I can live without Poverty porn to be honest.
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2014 11:09:08 72,991 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/benefits-street-a-healthy-media-would-stand-up-to-the-powerful-and-wealthy-ours-targets-the-poor-and-voiceless-9046773.html

    Outstanding article.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 10 Jan 2014 11:51:35 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched it and got annoyed, because the majority of people on that street are scrounging scumbags who moan about how annoying it is that the government don't pay them enough for sitting on their fat arses all day long. A couple are out and out thieves. I don't know how fucking stupid you have to be to plot and admit to theft on camera, but it happened. I'm not sure why it's so wrong to be annoyed at that kind of behaviour either.

    The 50p man was awesome though.

    Edited by midnight_walker at 11:59:24 10-01-2014
  • StixxUK 10 Jan 2014 12:17:09 7,506 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah cos it would be so easy for all of them to get a job and magically become "functioning members of society."

    These people are fucked.
  • Progguitarist 10 Jan 2014 12:31:03 10,706 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't believe what I was watching when I caught a few minutes of this. There is so much wrong with the show and the message it is obviously trying to portray. I'm surprised there wasn't a "brought to you in association with the daily mail" advert before it started!
  • Deleted user 10 January 2014 13:48:03
    I get this type of programming for free down my pub.

    Be thankful. You just watched an hour show on it. I have to endure it everyday of my life!
  • TarickStonefire 10 Jan 2014 13:51:12 4,200 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    The whole point of the programme was to entertain people by enraging them. Pretty irresponsible business to be in, but nothing new.
    This.

    TV knows what it's doing, and is rubbing its hands with glee all the way to the bank.
  • TarickStonefire 10 Jan 2014 13:54:11 4,200 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Only an idiot whould suggest that the show makers are trying to tar all benefits-recievers with the same brush.


    True, that's a broad generalisation you can't say with certainty the programme makers ever wanted to make. But by the same token, only an idiot would think the programme makers ever intended to do anything else but find the worst cases and put them centre stage, knowing full well it would wind people up and get them talking about the show.

    It has very little genuine moral centre, if you ask me, serving its role as voyeuristic 'there but for the grace of god' water-cooler-chat-generator perfectly well.
  • localnotail 10 Jan 2014 14:05:25 23,084 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Outrage farming = guaranteed ratings = maximum ad revenue.

    @Sir_Walter_Rally Booster bag.

    Finally I have a proper place to put this:

    localnotail wrote:
    This guy is very angry and NSFW, LOTS AND LOTS OF SHOUTING AND SWEARING, but he's spot on. I wasn't sure where else to put it. Possibly this what happens to Russell Brand when he hulks up.
    Benefits Street: a transference of evil
  • Dougs 10 Jan 2014 14:12:23 72,991 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man, that is beautiful. Give the guy a medal.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2014 14:22:40
    localnotail wrote:
    Outrage farming = guaranteed ratings = maximum ad revenue.

    @Sir_Walter_Rally Booster bag.

    Finally I have a proper place to put this:

    localnotail wrote:
    This guy is very angry and NSFW, LOTS AND LOTS OF SHOUTING AND SWEARING, but he's spot on. I wasn't sure where else to put it. Possibly this what happens to Russell Brand when he hulks up.
    Benefits Street: a transference of evil
    He is my Daily Mail. Much love.

    The thing he says about one redundancy/illness from benefits is at the heart of much that makes me angry: a lot of people don't seem to think their situations could get worse, that they might need help.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 10 Jan 2014 14:57:59 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    The thing he says about one redundancy/illness from benefits is at the heart of much that makes me angry: a lot of people don't seem to think their situations could get worse, that they might need help.
    I don't think anyone begrudges the genuinely ill/temporarily unemployed from claiming benefits do they? It's the lifestyle choice of claiming benefits and remaining unemployed that pisses people off.

    Edited by midnight_walker at 15:03:29 10-01-2014
  • SwissEvans 10 Jan 2014 14:58:47 336 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    May sound a little draconian, but i always thought why couldnt they put benefits on a card? So you can spend on food, your gas etc. But it cant be spent down the pub, on luxuries you probably shouldnt be enjoying at the expense of things you probably arent buying.

    Effed me off no end when i was in Tesco one night buying milk for my daughter, counting coppers, and unwittingly walked into the midnight launch of GTA5. I'm probably massively steretyping, having a bit of a Kate Hopkins moment, but from the looks of ALOT of them, i doubt theyre in full time work. Unless northface jackets, black tracksuit bottoms and condom shaped black bobble hats are a work uniform somewhere.

    And im stood there counting pennies thinking, why are they getting paid money to sit at home and play games all day? I'm sure that money is meant to be supporting them while they look for work. Not shooting virtual prostitutes.

    Is it wrong of me to think maybe the benefits should really only be for certain stuff, like your rent and food etc. Im not saying they dont deserve luxuries at all, but what motivation is there to get off benefits is there if you can still be buying (full price) games etc which are luxury items?

    Meh i dont know. I'm not against benefits, i just think the way the system works is left open to a shit load of abuse.
  • TheSaint 10 Jan 2014 15:04:56 15,788 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure what people are wearing at midnight is a good gage of employment status.
  • FartPipe 10 Jan 2014 15:10:45 4,225 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't and wont watch programmes like this anymore.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 10 Jan 2014 15:14:10 2,897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    I can't and wont watch programmes like this anymore.
    Because your telly got taken back by Bright House?
  • SwissEvans 10 Jan 2014 15:16:05 336 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Not sure what people are wearing at midnight is a good gage of employment status.
    They were in groups/gangs, you know, that the common folk swarm in. I nearly dropped my bottle of Merlot when i saw them.
  • Zomoniac 10 Jan 2014 15:16:58 8,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SwissEvans wrote:
    Effed me off no end when i was in Tesco one night buying milk for my daughter, counting coppers, and unwittingly walked into the midnight launch of GTA5. I'm probably massively steretyping, having a bit of a Kate Hopkins moment, but from the looks of ALOT of them, i doubt theyre in full time work. Unless northface jackets, black tracksuit bottoms and condom shaped black bobble hats are a work uniform somewhere.
    There may be an overlap between "people on benefits" and "chavs", but they're not universally the same thing, and you're not describing the one you think you are.
  • SwissEvans 10 Jan 2014 15:21:28 336 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    SwissEvans wrote:
    Effed me off no end when i was in Tesco one night buying milk for my daughter, counting coppers, and unwittingly walked into the midnight launch of GTA5. I'm probably massively steretyping, having a bit of a Kate Hopkins moment, but from the looks of ALOT of them, i doubt theyre in full time work. Unless northface jackets, black tracksuit bottoms and condom shaped black bobble hats are a work uniform somewhere.
    There may be an overlap between "people on benefits" and "chavs", but they're not universally the same thing, and you're not describing the one you think you are.
    I understand that. It was more to set the scene for my thought process about those that it did overlap. And to make a funny comment about condom bobble hats ;)
  • Zomoniac 10 Jan 2014 15:30:18 8,508 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SwissEvans wrote:
    I understand that. It was more to set the scene for my thought process about those that it did overlap. And to make a funny comment about condom bobble hats ;)
    I know where you're coming from. My ex worked onsite at an emergency assisted housing place for people/families who'd been evicted or were fleeing violent partners and the like, and whilst most were perfectly decent people, there were occasionally people who left their young children to go hungry or kept them home from school as they didn't have bus fare because all their benefit money had gone on booze and cigarettes. And it's definitely a minority, but not such an insignificant one as to be ignored. But try as I might I can't think of a system that would prevent this happening that doesn't unfairly rob a majority of decent people of their dignity.
  • Page

    of 4 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply