Evolve

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 7 Jan 2014 17:22:08 37,300 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Turtle Rock's new IP is Evolve. Coming to PC, Xbox One and PS4.

Four players will be alien hunters, one will be an alien but it grows larger and more powerful over the course of matches.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• oceanmotion 7 Jan 2014 17:30:30 15,641 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not a fan of controlling monsters and even bigger ones sound worse.

I would like playing as one of the four though. Still early days, know next to nothing so far.
  • Trafford 8 Jan 2014 08:40:22 5,607 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Page 1
    fletch7100 32 minutes ago
    Details from the Game Informer reveal

Main Game mode they looked at was Hunt Mode. Hunters have to kill the monster before the monster kills/incapacite all the hunters at the same time or completes it objectives( destroy certain building for example)
    Incapicated players can be revived in a short space of time, if they die then a dropship returns the player to the match after 2mins. If a another players has died in that 2 mins then they will return on that same dropship
    1-5 MP based game(will be SP mode more details later).
    AI will take over characters if there isn't enough human players(hunters or monster).
    If your AI hunter players aren't performing you can switch between the different characters.

4 different classes of hunters.
    Assault: damage dealing and temporary shield.
    Medic: area of effect health burst
    Support: cloak itself and teammates
    Hunter: can contain the monster with a mobile arena(Sounds like Quint from Jaws armed with a Ghostbusters trap)

There will be different versions of each class, will have same basic class ability but different equipment/appearance
    The Hunters have to use one of each class in its team
    Large maps
    Every hunter has a jet pack, quick dodge with double tap, reduce fall damage using jet pack
    All weapons and equipment have unlimited ammo, balanced by different mag sizes and cooldowns
    3 strike rule means hunters can't keep reviving one another without penalty of death
    Running kicks in automatically when you are moving forward and not shooting
    If your jet pack runs out of fuel near the top of a cliff, character kicks out and grabs the ledge
    Each item has its one timing and nuances to discover which stem from company wide play testing

Playing as different hunters you will also have have a special perk which is upgradeable and interchangeable between each class. Monsters have their own versions as well
    Killing special elite wildlife and looting its carcass will also grant a special temporary perk( extra health, more damage)
    There will be a progession system for characters and items

Info about first tier of hunters

Medic(Val)
    AoE health effect, health gun that let's you heal targets from distance and revive players, tranquilizer gun which slows the monster and highlights it's movements, sniper rifle as well as high damage paints a bull eyes on the target(if another player hits same spot they will deal double damage)

Assault (Markov)
    Assault rifle for long range, lightning rifle for close quarters heavy damage, proximity mines, temporary invincibility shield

Support(Hank)
    Laser cannon, can call in orbital barrage(red marker appears on floor and a few seconds for the rounds to hit, can be used to direct the monster where you want or away from fallen teammates, can use a shield on other players, also has a cloak him/herself

Hunter(Griffin)
    Mobile Arena( traps monster) harpoon gun that for a short time tethers the player to the monster( sounds more like Quint) slowing down the monsters movement, SMG, sound spikes that be placed anywhere on the map to show the monsters movement. Is meant to be the most advanced class

The game will ship with multiple tiers of hunters, no idea how many or how they will be accessed, players can mix and match any number of characters as long as there is one of each class in the team.
    The additional hunters have their own gear, example tier one hunter has that harpoon gun whilst another has a harpoon that fires mines

The Monster(Goliath)

Just like the hunters there will be different tiers of monsters with different powers
    Goliath is controlled from 3rd person view
    Has 3 stages of evolution
    1st stage (combo of ape, snake and xnemorph)is much bigger than the hunters and 3rd stage is over 30 ft tall and covered in spikes
    Starts with basic punch and climb walls
    4 special moves : hurl boulders,charge attack, powerful leap attack and flame breath
    Start of the match player picks 2 of the special moves, then picks one as it reaches the next stage of evolution
    Monster is weak at the start so is best to hide and level up
    Golaith must eat the local wildlife or hunters to gain armour and evolve to the next stage, Golaith will cocoon itself when evolving so is vulnerable at this point. Each stage brings more HP and increased damage
    Some of the wildlife is as big or bigger than Golaith and just as aggressive
    Each team can use the animals to their advantage
    Starting as the monster is a bit nerve wracking, must hide yourself as you sneak through the map
    As you run you leave behind glowing footprints
    Eating animals results in vultures flying around pinpointing the carcass( could use that as a trap for the hunters)
    Using the special powers can be Noisy resulting in bat like creatures flying away from your location
    Monster has a stealth like mode
    You will be running,hiding, sneaking for most of the time as the monster. Once you reach stage 3 you can make final stand but the battle won't always go your way

Wildlife in the game

Sloth
    Dinosaur like creature larger than stage one Monster, only attacks players when provoked

Trap Jaws
    Massive dog like creatures, hunt in packs,scavengers and turn up at carcasses and chase hunters/animals away from them. So if hunters killing animals or monster feeding off the wildlife these will show up after a kill

Spotters
    Bit like Meerkats, will emit a loud noise when they see the monster, their calls are also picked up by the Sound spikes placed by Trappers

Carnivorous Plants
    Giant Venus fly traps will eat anything near them including hunters. Once eaten need a teammate to rescue you before you are digested.

GI experience of the MP

Most of GIs matches were over in 10-15 mins matches. One ended with the monster in its 1st stage killing the hunters with help from local aggressive wildlife, hunters managed to scrap a victory against a 3rd stage monster in a dramatic showdown. Most matches ended with the monster in stage 2 as the teams are most balanced then. From their play time both sides won around 50 % of the time
    GI were finding more strategies as they played, will increase with more hunters/monsters to choose from
    No news about the other game modes

TLDR, game looks great and needs a Predator style skin mod of Arnie and his squad. Also Quint as the Trapper.

I do like the sound of this.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Jan 2014 08:42:29 37,300 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, I wanted to copy and paste that from the other thread, but I got distracted by real life.

• Tomo 8 Jan 2014 08:48:38 13,878 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds very much like The Hunted HL2 mod, which is fantastic. Although that is greater than 4 v 1.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Jan 2014 08:54:00 37,300 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite like MP games with lower player counts. BF4 is fun with 64 players but it's sheer chaos. Give me 4v4 or 5v5 (or 4v1 in this case) any day. Makes your contribution to the game feel more important for a start.

• fletch7100 8 Jan 2014 09:12:53 6,911 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In the article the developers talk about their time on CS:Condition Zero and how they were called in to finish the project. They were then left in charge of CS for 3 years, then a certain CS mode gave them the idea for L4D.

Idea for Evolve was from the tank battles in L4D. THQ were meant to be the publishers before that went south. The developers even thought about raising 250k to buy the rights for their game. They wanted 2k to be the publishers and 2k won the bidding with a $10 mil bid

Images from the GI article

Edited by fletch7100 at 09:29:13 08-01-2014
  • Vortex808 8 Jan 2014 09:41:09 6,933 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds very interesting.
  • Physically_Insane 8 Jan 2014 09:44:00 8,593 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm gonna be all over this. Sounds amazing. I was a huge L4D fan, and still play it now and then.
  • fletch7100 21 Jan 2014 07:05:52 6,911 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GI article after playing Evolve

Edited by fletch7100 at 07:07:06 21-01-2014
  • PrivateFloyd 21 Jan 2014 11:27:14 4,102 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for that.

As someone who has sunk hundreds of hours into L4D this sounds right up my street.

Pretty much the only next-gen game that that has really grabbed me tbh.

Goat is hungry.....

• fletch7100 10 Feb 2014 13:28:36 6,911 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looks like more info will be released on 11th Feb according to a new teaser video
  • Vortex808 11 Feb 2014 13:49:45 6,933 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some more info/interviews about this on the front page just now.

My interest is definitely growing.
  • fletch7100 11 Feb 2014 14:39:44 6,911 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Vortex808
    Some early Gameplay footage for you
  • Tryhard 11 Feb 2014 15:47:13 3,657 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That looks a lot of fun,and some depth to it.
  • Vortex808 11 Feb 2014 18:46:53 6,933 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fletch7100 wrote:
    @Vortex808
    Some early Gameplay footage for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFrZlEqMzLU&hd=1
    Thanks fletch. That's definitely one I'm looking to get now.
  • binky Moderator 14 Feb 2014 09:16:08 9,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was a video on the Xbox One dash last night. I know it's just a CG vid but I liked the premise. Will keep 'em peeled for this.
  • karlo87 14 Feb 2014 16:07:17 1,257 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This looks fucking awesome

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• Bremenacht 16 Feb 2014 11:21:41 17,598 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This looks very appealing. It's basically "Taaaaaaaaaaank" over and over, with monster bells on. What could be better than that?
  • Kichijoten 16 Feb 2014 23:34:29 818 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Been reading up on this today and watched a couple of videos on YouTube. Holy shit bucket, there is finally a game that is only on next gen that I must own so I've got a reason to upgrade.
    The game can't possibly end up as good as it seems currently.
  • JiveHound 16 Feb 2014 23:46:19 2,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yup, colour me interested. Left 4 Dead with bells on and I'm all over that.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• beastmaster 12 Apr 2014 14:21:35 11,139 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They've got it playable at Gadget Show Live. World first. I'll see if I can get a go later.

Looks brilliant.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Bremenacht 12 Apr 2014 18:10:33 17,598 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, please do. Very interested in this.
  • beastmaster 12 Apr 2014 18:16:48 11,139 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never got the chance. I had to go and meet the presenters and then get my train home.

Reaction from fhe people coming out was "That was really good!"

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Gambit1977 12 Apr 2014 19:30:16 9,583 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think this will be the first game i struggle to decide onesie or ps4
  • fletch7100 13 Apr 2014 17:54:16 6,911 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Looks like there has been some gameplay changes already since it's announcement

The old system was as the monster pick 2 powers, then choose another one to unlock after each evolution. Now it looks like all powers have skill levels, can only use the prowers if you put skill points into that ability. So I guess more skills points each time you evolve. So put all your points into the fire breathing but you won't be able to use the rock throwing skill.

One match was described as the hunters realised the monster was using rock throwing but not flame breathing. So theybkept close to the monster as the rock throwing is not suited to close ranges.
  • MatMan562 24 Apr 2014 13:17:18 2,304 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New trailer:

Looks pretty great! I heard a few people who played it at PAX East say it was really good fun as well. Hopefully some more of my friends will have a PS4 by the time it comes out.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• TVoJ 24 Apr 2014 14:00:35 1,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That looks great. How the fuck has this one slipped by me?

Will it be on steam tho?
  • Benno 24 Apr 2014 14:18:32 9,759 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    looks absolutely fantastic

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• fletch7100 24 Apr 2014 14:19:34 6,911 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @TVoJ

Well there's a steam logo on the main web page

The monsters are meant to be different from each other, different attack styles and each move differently. Also hints that one has burrowing abilities. Some concept art showing the hunters having to enter a large dark series of caves to track a monster
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous