Boiler - Knackered? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Mageme 1 Apr 2014 08:34:43 2,070 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers guys!

It's actually moving from the downstairs kitchen to the proposed loft including all necessary pipework and removal of the existing hot water cylinder and cold water storage tank. I'm just wondering if I should stump up rather than faff around to coordinate the timing schedule of a separate plumber when the loft works is ongoing.
  • mangojoe 1 Apr 2014 08:41:08 567 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's not that expensive then. I priced a similar job the other day for 2500 and that was with a slightly cheaper boiler also being in a loft they may be using a vertical flue which puts the price up more
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Feb 2015 13:30:35 2,111 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    So the boiler man has come to service our boiler as we've been having one or two problems such as pressure dropping every now and again and it drips water from the bottom a little bit (again, rarely). The blokes condemned and disconnected it, so it's basically fucked. I'm going off 3rd hand information as it's from my Mrs, from the Mother in law.

The house was ripped out and started from scratch from the couple that lived there before us, so everything new (or at least 5 years old). I can't remember what make the boiler is but I remember my Dad saying it's not a very good one. But still, it's been working fine. In fact better than any heating system I've experienced. But still, it's apparently fucked.

Anyone know how much should we be looking at for a new one?
  • Vortex808 27 Feb 2015 13:35:04 8,799 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think combi boilers are about 1500-2000.

We are looking to get a load of work done with our heating system at the end of april since our boiler's dying after 15 years service. I can't recall how much it was on our quote, but can't tell you what we are quoted given we are moving the boiler out of the kitchen and through to the garage, getting all the shitty micro-bore copper piping replaced by the standard size and getting rid of a load of old flat panel radiators to get new ones for better heat convection.

Christ. A young me would despair & hate what i talk & think about these days!

Edited by Vortex808 at 13:35:51 27-02-2015
  • Dougs 27 Feb 2015 13:35:06 72,977 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    About a grand for the boiler itself, plus labour and any other materials..
  • Dougs 27 Feb 2015 13:37:28 72,977 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This was quite a good write up:

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/12664/how-i-saved-1200-on-my-new-boiler
  • Bowzer43 27 Feb 2015 13:38:19 1,299 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid Is it a standard boiler or a combi boiler?

A lot of heating engineers hate combi boilers as they are really fiddly to work on and I have had several conversations with my engineers over why they hate them so much.

It would also be worth finding out what it was condemned on, as some engineers are a bit quick with the "fuck it, it's Friday. Sorry love this boiler is fucked!" attitude.
  • Bowzer43 27 Feb 2015 13:41:53 1,299 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    But price wise boiler & labour around 2k.

But quotes will vary wildly, especially since boilers vary a lot from brand to brand etc, so it's difficult to compare as everyone quotes on different make & models of boiler so you're never really sure what you're getting!
  • Deleted user 27 February 2015 13:42:34
    erm... my info is a bit "old", but I think a min spend if you know a decent plumber to install it and buy your own (or get them to buy it) for something reasonable (eg. Worcester Bosch) is about 750. You can end up with 3k if you go via British Gas though.

An alternative is to get the manufacturer to take a look at it as they sometimes do things cheaper... but if its leaking and condemned then its not a good sign (not that I know a lot about them).
  • DaM 27 Feb 2015 13:42:38 14,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are you sure it's fucked? I thought all combi boilers dropped pressure, you have to give it a top up every 6 months or so.
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Feb 2015 13:43:01 2,111 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cheers guys.

It's a combi. Apparently the pipe going into the boiler was heavily corroded and the guy said he had to close it off as it could leak and he'd wind up in court if he left it.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 13:45:52 27-02-2015
  • TheSaint 27 Feb 2015 13:45:01 15,785 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah they don't waste any time condemning it once it starts leaking. Better safe than sorry.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2015 13:45:37
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Cheers guys.

It's a combi. Apparently the pipe going into the boiler was corroded and the guy said he had to close it off as it could leak and he'd wind up in court if he left it.
    So it could just need a new pipe and a guy with more time on their hands.... hopefully...
  • Bowzer43 27 Feb 2015 13:47:15 1,299 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sounds like you need a new bit of pipe rather than a new boiler!

Definitely a fuck it, it's Friday job! :D

Edited by Bowzer43 at 13:47:49 27-02-2015
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Feb 2015 13:50:09 2,111 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hopefully. We've got the chap that fitted my Grandads boiler a year back and he's coming to look at it this afternoon so should know more shortly.
  • Bowzer43 27 Feb 2015 13:50:34 1,299 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh and prices vary wildly depending where you live in the country, up north in York say, you could probably get the whole house plumbed for 100 and a biscuit for the whippet.

Whereas in London or south East, if you get an engineer to just ring your doorbell for less than 100 you're doing well!
  • the_milkybar_kid 27 Feb 2015 13:54:20 2,111 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The water that had leaked had also leaked inside the boiler causing the corrosion so he said he'd be very doubtful whether or not it'd just be a new pipe. But like I say, there's a decent engineer going to look at it in a bit. With any luck, they'll be able to resolve that it doesn't need a new boiler.

I'm in Stoke Bowser, we generally trade in goats up here ;)

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 13:58:53 27-02-2015
  • ZuluHero 27 Feb 2015 14:25:58 4,676 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was lucky with mine, bought a house, boiler went within the first week! /o\

After a few ludicrous quotes (2-3k), my partner put out a call to facebook. Found a local guy who came in and replaced it for just over 1400. Installed a Worcester Bosch combi, had to install a 22mm gas line (as the old one was 15mm) and installed a wireless controller (which has the thermostat so bases the temperate of the room it is in rather than where it is fixed).

So while i was a bit annoyed at the time, and was worried about a local guy doing it (i don't know why) i'm happy it wasn't the horror I thought it was and 'saved' a bit of money as well.
  • Dougs 27 Feb 2015 14:32:59 72,977 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    How long had you been topping it up for? Got lucky in my old place, noticed that the pressure had dropped and it had been leaking for a few days and the bloke said much longer and it would have been totally fucked. As it was, it was just a new part and labour for 200, good as new. Bit worried about the one in my new place, it's a combi but about 12 years old. Need to find a decent service plan really.
  • DaM 27 Feb 2015 14:39:24 14,264 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We installed a new Worcester and Bosch 6 years ago, but it's completely buggered as the pipes installed by the previous owners let in air, so everything is corroded and full of gunk.

I'm waiting (sorry, working!) at home for a bloke to come and drain cleaning stuff from the system at the moment...
  • beastmaster 19 Mar 2015 19:45:07 13,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mum's boiler has packed in. Can't find the pressure gauge or the taps on the pipes. Wouldn't do it anyway but going to get it sorted out soon. Thanks fuck it's warming up a bit.

It's because of low water pressure. They told her to bleed the radiators which would surely LOWER it? Fucking stupid advice from whoever it was!
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next