Boiler - Knackered? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 14:13:43 3,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Good lad Marky, my expansion tank went as well, mine isn't a shitty make boiler though, yeah I forgot about those free boiler schemes, if you're receiving certain benefits like child tax credit you get a free boiler or a massive discount at least.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• DaM 4 Jan 2014 14:20:32 13,331 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I would suggest you keep poking it until you flood your house
    I'm sure it won't come to that. The house will have exploded long before it floods.

Edited by DaM at 14:22:28 04-01-2014
  • markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 16:29:09 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    It's worth trying Green Deal because I contract for British Gas and the customers who qualify for the free boilers are often very well off. Everyone thinks there's a catch. There isn't one. I fitted a boiler just yesterday in a young, well off couples house. Cost them nothing. Glad it's sorted anyway.

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• BigOrkWaaagh 4 Jan 2014 17:04:52 2,090 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't you have to be in receipt of some kind of benefit to qualify? I'm not, aside from child benefit, and that usually precludes me from any government initiative.

Previously midnight_walker

• markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 17:47:43 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I'm not too sure what the exact criteria is, but from my experience, as the installer, I'm finding that I'm installing in all sorts of properties from all walks of life

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• Razz 4 Jan 2014 18:27:42 61,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One of my radiator is knackered, lockshield is fully open, TRV is working fine. But it's stone cold dead. I'm going to have a go at balancing the heating system tomorrow as al lthe upstairs rads are boiling hot and GF and 1F ones are merely tepid

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 18:41:23 3,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Could just be clogged up with gunk Razz, I had the same problem, closed the valves either end unscrewed it and tipped the water into a bucket then took it outside and gave it a really good flush, it was proper clogged, got it all back together and it is working fine.

Make sure you put towels down for the inevitable mess if you do the same.

• Razz 4 Jan 2014 18:53:08 61,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah cheers, I think that's the way to go. I was hoping I didn't have to flush it, but it's looking like that's my only option now. Balancing the heating system isn't really going to anything to fix it, but it's something that I've wanted to sort out for a while.

Feck, busy day tomorrow :/

Edited by Razz at 18:53:37 04-01-2014

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• andytheadequate 4 Jan 2014 18:54:58 8,267 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What boiler would people recommend? We need a new one and been getting a few quotes.

3 bedroom house, 1 bathroom.
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 18:55:15 3,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Won't take long buddy, an hour most, that's including the cleaning up and getting a shower afterwards.

• OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 18:56:28 3,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got an Ideal Isar, but you can't really go wrong with Ideal IMO.

• mal 4 Jan 2014 19:19:59 22,699 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Expansion vessel's perished in my system too, but since it's a one floor flat it doesn't need to go up to a significant pressure to pump the water round, so except for midwinter I can run it low without having to top it up very often at all (and maybe only a couple of times during the winter).

The pressure release valve in mine is in front of the boiler, a little above the top of it (the pipe leading outside runs over the boiler top). No reason it has to be near the boiler, other than convenience for engineers when they're installing everything for the first time or refilling the loops, as far as I know. Look for the outlet pipe on your external brickwork - you should see two of about the same diameter - one will be your toilet overflow, and the other the heating overflow from the release valve. Since you know it pours on to your extension it shouldn't be hard to spot. On mine the top is red, and it has a little gauge on it, indicating the pressure at the top of the system.

My boiler's a Potterton, I think, and the original mainboard cracked soon as you looked at it which took a number of engineers over the years to finally diagnose. Since that was replaced the boiler's run sweet as (for under 300 quid as I recall). I'd be a bit dubious about replacing it with a modern condensing one, because of issues with the condenser corroding and needing regular replacement.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• pogomeister 4 Jan 2014 19:54:51 233 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @OptimusPube I'm an engineer with Scottish gas and a couldn't disagree more i find ideal boilers to be terrible( the isar being the main culprit) I would go for Worcester all day
  • Scurrminator 4 Jan 2014 20:03:45 8,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @andytheadequate

Worcester
    Or
    Vaillant

Nothing else.

As for the green deal it's not that great. You have to pay someone to come and assess your house. You can get a certain amount per item they recommend but you can't pick and choose; you have to do everything they say needs doing.
    You then borrow the cash from the big 6 energy suppliers and pay this back through the difference between your previous bills and your new, energy savings bills. So if the bill before was 50 and it's now 40 the ten goes towards the debt.
    The debt is tied to the house and obviously it limits you to the six energy suppliers. You're better off with a 0% credit card (if you're in the situation to do so).

New boiler should be between 900 and 1,800 plus another 800 to 1,000 to fit it.
    Places like British gas will happily charge 4k for a piece of crap!

Ignore walk of text; on phone!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 21:15:22 3,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    pogomeister wrote:
    @OptimusPube I'm an engineer with Scottish gas and a couldn't disagree more i find ideal boilers to be terrible( the isar being the main culprit) I would go for Worcester all day
    I can't argue with an engineer, but from my experience I've had little trouble, go with this guy and ignore my post.

• mangojoe 4 Jan 2014 21:23:45 421 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Second that. I'm a gas engineer and have been doing it 15 years. Ideals are terrible when they go wrong . One of the worst on the market. Go for a baxi/potterton/main or a Worcester Bosch
  • markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 21:44:06 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Ideal boilers are on the bad list for me. Horrible to work on and massive failure rates!

You can not go wrong with a Worcester boiler, they are the Rolls Royce of boilers. Vailant boilers are also right up there. If you want to spend slightly less you are best going for a Baxi who also make boilers under the names Potterton and Main.

@Razz if you are having trouble with just one rad not heating up it could be something as simple as an air lock. Water will allways try to flow thorough the system the easiest route, so sometimes the odd rad dosent get hot when others are. Make sure the problem rad is open at both ends then turn every single other rad off in the house, if it's an airlock the force of the pump will push it through and your rad should get hot.

Edited by markytonline83 at 21:44:24 04-01-2014

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• andytheadequate 4 Jan 2014 21:44:25 8,267 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We've had two quotes so far, one for a valliant and another for an ideal. According to the internet, ideal have a poor reputation but their new boiler is meant to be decent. No one seems to have a bad word to say about valliant but they cost a lot more, same goes with Worcester.
  • markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 21:52:09 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    mal wrote:
    I'd be a bit dubious about replacing it with a modern condensing one, because of issues with the condenser corroding and needing regular replacement.
    Since 2006 it has been law, when fitting a new boiler, that it must be a condensing boiler in all but the most exceptional of circumstances.

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 21:54:16 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    We've had two quotes so far, one for a valliant and another for an ideal. According to the internet, ideal have a poor reputation but their new boiler is meant to be decent. No one seems to have a bad word to say about valliant but they cost a lot more, same goes with Worcester.
    Worcesters/Vaillants are the best but DO NOT settle for an Ideal. Go for Baxi as they are similar in price and much better

Edited by markytonline83 at 21:54:35 04-01-2014

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• mal 4 Jan 2014 21:54:39 22,699 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thing with boilers is you don't find out if they're reliable until they go wrong. So new boilers will often look decent before the glaring unreliability trots to the fore.

In other news, who knew we have so many plumbers registered here?

• Nexus_6 4 Jan 2014 21:55:12 3,889 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For the extra cost of Worcester Bosch I would personally say it is totally worth it, piece of mind wise if nothing else.

I have a flat that I put in a new Sabre boiler and it is ok, but had a faulty pump or coil or something from day one straight out the box. It got fixed ok eventually but it shouldn't have been like that.

My house I just out in a full new system, rads and all and put in a WB and it is immense. Never a problem, quiet, and a small unit that sits under the stairs. We'll worth buying as good as you can afford.
  • mal 4 Jan 2014 22:02:11 22,699 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    markytonline83 wrote:
    mal wrote:
    I'd be a bit dubious about replacing it with a modern condensing one, because of issues with the condenser corroding and needing regular replacement.
    Since 2006 it has been law, when fitting a new boiler, that it must be a condensing boiler in all but the most exceptional of circumstances.
    Yeah, IN5OMNIAC's probably better off going condensing as it's the only option other than pouring money into his ropey boiler. I'm just suggesting that others might look into maintaining an older boiler as a more long-term option - efficiency might be less, but reduced repair costs may offset that.

Just as long as it's not a Ferroli or Ideal apparently.

• markytonline83 4 Jan 2014 22:07:33 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    mal wrote:
    markytonline83 wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Yeah, IN5OMNIAC's probably better off going condensing as it's the only option other than pouring money into his ropey boiler. I'm just suggesting that others might look into maintaining an older boiler as a more long-term option - efficiency might be less, but reduced repair costs may offset that.

Just as long as it's not a Ferroli or Ideal apparently.
    Condensing boilers have come along way. The early models weren't the best and would literally rust from the inside-out. But nowadays they are bob on.

Here's a couple more to steer clear of... A wall of shame so to speak

Biasi
    Ravenheat
    Heat Line

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• mal 4 Jan 2014 22:33:38 22,699 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are they making the condenser from something decently corrosion resistant like expensive A4 stainless rather than aluminium these days? Seems to me it's not a matter of purely good design and more a matter of not trying to cut costs.

• elstoof 4 Jan 2014 23:16:45 7,741 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love my vaillant. Sometimes I just go to have a look at it. It cost me more than my first car did.
  • Mageme 31 Mar 2014 15:52:59 2,031 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sorry for the thread hijack! Not really a knackered boiler but as part of a loft conversion quote, the builder has quoted us about 2800 to replace our boiler with a new Vaillant ecotec 837 combi boiler. Not knowing a thing about boilers and general DIY, is this expensive for the boiler and installation?

My estate agent brother-in-law says it's expensive and should get someone else to do it rather than the builder's accomplice... I mean acquaintance.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• andytheadequate 31 Mar 2014 17:25:25 8,267 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That sounds quite expensive to me. Your best bet is to get a few different quotes and compare to the price
  • markytonline83 31 Mar 2014 17:44:25 172 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    If the new boiler is going in the same place as the old one then that's expensive. If the new boiler is going in a different location that price may be reasonable when you take into consideration the new pipe work that will be needed

PSN - markytonline83
    Vita, PS3 and PS4

• Bremenacht 31 Mar 2014 17:50:17 18,719 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Builder will farm the work out anyway and pocket 500.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last