A husband murdered another man who allegedly had extramarital affair with his wife.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Segnit 3 Jan 2014 20:38:23 205 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AP Link

A U.S. Border Patrol agent, Adam Garibay, was facing a pending murder charge Thursday in the shooting death of a Central Texas man who he believed was having an affair with his wife, authorities said.
    "He was able to get from her by threat the address of the man," Medina County Sheriff Randy Brown said.
    Garibay then drove about 160 miles northwest from Corpus Christi, which is along the southern Texas Gulf Coast, to a home near the town of Hondo where he fatally shot 35-year-old Keith Martin, Brown said. Martin's father and brother were at the home during the shooting, the sheriff said.
    Now the reason I'm making this thread is because I was reading some online responses to this tragic news story and I it seems like opinions on the matter tend to be very hostile on how society should apportion blame or at least view the incident.

The weird thing is that although it seems to make for a hostile discussion, at the same time there seems to be an overwhelming consensus that the the surviving adulterer should not feel guilty or responsible for what unfolded.

Keeping in mind that this is all just hypothetical for us, since, we obviously don't have much if anything to go buy, I must say that the hardline and widely adopted consensus is troubling me. Here's why...

The cheating seems to be the likely trigger for the murder. No cheating means there’d be no murder. For those doing the cheating, in their defense, they couldn't have know what type of response their actions would've lead to.

But, here's the thing, does cheating carry the elevated risk of death? Well, an answer can be given with the following expression: x% of people who cheat do trigger murder or suicide. Since x can’t be equal to 0 than it only follows that there is in fact some risk of triggering death when cheating.

Assuming x is equal to 0.001%, we can say that people who cheat are actively aware that their extra-marital affair comes at relatively high cost of an additional 0.001% chance of mortality. We know this is true because everybody has heard of or at least exposed to the idea of a rage killing due to spousal cheating.

With the above in mind and considering how inadequate the amount of information we have on the complete backstory, when speculating on this particular event, here are some logically acceptable albeit emotional or hyperbolic responses:
    - The guy that killed someone ruined three lives.
    - He'll go to prison, another guy is dead, and his wife will have to live with the fact that her infidelity ruined three lives. Nobody wins.
    - He started it.
    - The killer started it.
    - The deceased man somehow brought this on himself.

We can say that although the 5 sentiments above are not equally consistent with the few facts that we have, at the same time however there is nothing completely outrageous with any one of these views. That is unless someone approaches this from the idealistic standpoint instead of the rational one.
  • Scurrminator Moderator 3 Jan 2014 20:44:49 8,286 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pics?

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Moot_Point 3 Jan 2014 20:47:35 3,507 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If the woman didn't open her legs, there wouldn't be an affair. Would there? ;)

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I can't believe this is still going. I'm far too hungover for this. I did not poop on a chair lol!

• lavalant 3 Jan 2014 20:49:24 1,249 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    - The guy that killed someone ruined three lives.
    - He'll go to prison, another guy is dead, and his wife will have to live with the fact that her infidelity ruined three lives. Nobody wins.
    - He started it.
    - The killer started it.
    - The deceased man somehow brought this on himself.
    -If the woman didn't open her legs, there wouldn't be an affair. Would there? ;)

They're all valid points.
  • McEwan 3 Jan 2014 20:55:14 107 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @lavalant At the end of the day, people react in different ways but the guilt lies solely with the killer. His conscience, his morality should have given him numerous chances to stop himself but he allowed his malice and anger to overwhelm his reasoning.

I've also found that the human heart is a frail thing, an organ which cannot easily be changed or controlled on a whim.
  • graysonavich 3 Jan 2014 20:56:39 6,802 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What's with people's obsession with American news these days?
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2014 20:57:25 55,852 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its more cinematic than ours and has better special effects.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• BeardedGamerUK 3 Jan 2014 21:04:38 1,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @nickthegun It's all CGI innit.
  • Trafford 3 Jan 2014 21:16:36 5,270 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He would have walked free, were he in France.
    There's a thread for this shit already though.
  • JYM60 3 Jan 2014 21:25:22 16,755 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When these things happen I'm sure the relationship was dead anyway. You can't have an affair if you're in a happy relationship, right?

Obviously an affair isn't the answer to an unhappy relationship, but the killing is not necessary in the slightest.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Defecationqueen 3 Jan 2014 21:33:29 158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    In a just and noble society they would have been slowly stoned to death. Preferably with a nice big purple hookah and some Bob Marley records playing in the background.
  • Defecationqueen 3 Jan 2014 21:35:58 158 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Personally though, I've never understood the mentality of taking your rage out on the third party. Surely all your wrath should be reserved for the cheating spouse? It's your spouse's responsibility to maintain fidelity, not society's.
  • Segnit 3 Jan 2014 21:46:08 205 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there any particular law there that gives amnesty on murder for those who've been cheated against? Sounds hard to imagine.

When these things happen I'm sure the relationship was dead anyway. You can't have an affair if you're in a happy relationship, right?
    Well it's certainly very possible that he was a horrible husband and would threaten her every time she tried to instigate a formal divorce. That would certainly clear up a lot of things.

But in the absence of more facts, there is another way of looking at this. That the level of his rage could match the level of his surprise, shock and horror.

Obviously an affair isn't the answer to an unhappy relationship, but the killing is not necessary in the slightest.
    I definitely agree that it isn't necessary but it can be a solution. Not one you or I might take, and not a particularly good one but it's something that people do. On the other extreme, the victims of cheating might take their own life... maybe as a rash decision or maybe after years of depression and being unable to cope.

Personally though, I've never understood the mentality of taking your rage out on the third party.
    This could indicate that she might have been deeply in love with the man that she allegedly had an affair with. This could've been the husband's way of making her suffer. Killing the 3rd guy isn't right under any circumstance but the fact that he went could be telling.

Edited by Segnit at 21:47:54 03-01-2014
  • JYM60 3 Jan 2014 21:50:47 16,755 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Psychotext 3 Jan 2014 21:52:51 52,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Real world isn't anywhere near as simple as that. Plenty of people like to have their cake and eat it.

Topic specific, unless it was someone who knew me that was fucking my wife, she'd be the one in line for the murdering, not them.
  • X201 3 Jan 2014 22:08:55 14,696 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Segnit wrote:
    Is there any particular law there that gives amnesty on murder for those who've been cheated against? Sounds hard to imagine.

France has an allowable legal defense along those lines, but not an amnesty.

Edited by X201 at 22:09:33 03-01-2014
  • FWB 3 Jan 2014 22:13:04 41,943 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Who's to say the victim knew the woman was married?

If you want to apportion moral blame, then they all get some (assuming the victim knew what he was doing). However, in terms of breaking the law, breaking someone's heart is not illegal. Killing them is. So as far as the state is concerned it is only involved in judging and punishing the murderer.
  • speed182 3 Jan 2014 22:27:40 895 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kill both, leaves less questions.

PSN ID: DJSpeed14
    Follow me on Twitter: Speeedy14

• DrStrangelove 3 Jan 2014 23:46:56 2,550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I blame the immigrants.
  • L0cky 3 Jan 2014 23:47:48 1,442 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blame is for gods and children.
  • Kanjin 4 Jan 2014 00:07:00 960 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And... 99% of the adult population of planet earth as well.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Jan 2014 00:22:36 2,550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Adults? Children are stupid and naive. Adults are children with a larger vocabulary.
  • danathjo 4 Jan 2014 00:28:48 6,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So would anyone here seriously kill someone over something similar?

Walking in mid thrust, maybe....
  • Psychotext 4 Jan 2014 00:31:54 52,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kill? No.

I could see myself having to destroy a house worth of stuff to stop me hurting a person though.
  • DrStrangelove 4 Jan 2014 00:33:03 2,550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would, I think killing is an appropriate solution for many problems.

I wouldn't though because they'd actually blame me.
  • OptimusPube 4 Jan 2014 00:33:46 2,412 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's all Tong Po's fault.

Nawk Soo Cow Nawk Soo Cow Nawk Soo Cow Nawk Soo Cow, etc.

Is it supposed to be like this?

• danathjo 4 Jan 2014 00:38:02 6,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never on purpose but one blunt object on the bedside table to the head later

How morbid, what a horrible thought, kebab time I think
  • Psychotext 4 Jan 2014 00:38:47 52,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Make sure it's not another man's kebab.
  • danathjo 4 Jan 2014 00:40:32 6,909 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One can of tango to the head later....
  • Cappy 4 Jan 2014 00:55:18 11,704 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Faced with getting taken to the cleaners if you want a divorce plus ongoing maintenance post divorce, perhaps the gun rage option looks more attractive.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous