DayZ

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • INSOMANiAC 17 Dec 2013 04:57:30 3,842 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Surely, the full game deserves it own, fresh thread? what with the fact it has all new features etc and very few people will be playing the mod now (Controversial) still, its basically a new game...

Anyway, anyone have the alpha yet? I've had a bit of a go and my first question is, who the fuck decided you have to press CTRL/Space to raise you weapon or torch? and that you can't point a torch in front of you while running?? Hoping thats changed because as it is, you basically cant see what in front of you while running at night. Brilliant, renders the torch mainly useless from the starting point, so you have to keep switching it on and off to conserve battery. If I was running through a forest in the dead of night I'd sure as hell be pointing where i was heading!

Also, you can only play the game relative to what time of day it is where you live, so we'll be basically always playing in the pitch black at the moment unless you don't work!

I can't really tell if it runs better than the Mod because I cant see fuck all, but it seemed to have less motion blur and ran very smoothly.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Br0ken_Engli5h 17 Dec 2013 10:29:28 1,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    From what I've read performance is much better in Cherno and Elektro, although somebody did say that they had a FPS hit in the new apartment buildings.

I'll find it hard to resist buying the standalone despite the issues that people are reporting so far. The mod had plenty of issues when I was playing it, and that didn't stop me from really enjoying it.
    It was more the twatty script users who killed it for me. I got fed up of spending ages getting kitted up to head north, only to be killed half-way there by some arsehole out to ruin everyone's fun.
  • urban 17 Dec 2013 12:07:06 11,069 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OP's post has disappeared?

Anyway, I've bought it. Jumped on yesterday to be dumped into the dark with fuck all and barely remembering the controls, ah DayZ joy!

Really looking forward to giving it a proper bash, shame I'm back home at christmas :(
  • BillMurray 17 Dec 2013 16:56:03 7,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite liking how other players can leave notes

• iGirvan 18 Dec 2013 17:27:45 62 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Im really tempted to pick this up but was wondering does this support a pc xbox 360 controller?
  • BillMurray 18 Dec 2013 17:31:04 7,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    iGirvan wrote:
    Im really tempted to pick this up but was wondering does this support a pc xbox 360 controller?
    Erm, not at the moment at least. Good luck trying to fit all the key binds onto a pad.
  • Stan101 18 Dec 2013 18:02:57 728 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hope they don't have real time on every server according to where you live. I hope you can pick servers that have different times of day. Maybe that will come later on. Gets a bit frustrating always playing in the dark.
  • MrWonderstuff 18 Dec 2013 18:05:13 1,969 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @iGirvan Be nice if it did but doesn't - you could always try xpadder?
  • iGirvan 18 Dec 2013 18:13:37 62 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks for the quick reply @billmurray and @mrwonderstuff yea im hoping to try and find a program to configure it to the pad but as bill said it might be an issue to the amount of commands, but heres hoping! ill keep you updated how it goes.
  • ISmoke 19 Dec 2013 10:05:01 681 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah... I think there are far too many commands to map it to a controller. Arma must be one of the only games that uses (almost) all of my keys
  • Rusty_M 19 Dec 2013 12:38:49 4,936 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats surprising. Im sure ArmA supports controllers including xbox

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• Jose_Snake 20 Dec 2013 06:29:41 29 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Saying few people are playing the mod is a mistake, I see more than 6000 servers with at least 30 players each, how's that few.

The stand-alone is not recommended for normal gameplay, only those that want to report bugs and glitches should play.

The own devs have that stated on the Steam Page, the DayZ is still the best Survival MMORPG around in my book.

All this talk about the Stand-Alone release, made me go back to DayZ (Mod) with some friends.
  • Deleted user 22 December 2013 14:10:24
    It's strangely different. I've been playing around two hours today and seen only two zombies(!) and one survivor despite scavenging a lot of towns as i move inland.

No sign of a gun yet, just an axe and a few shotgun shells and a lot of desperately trying to find drinks / food / can-opening instruments.

Barns aren't the gold mine they used to be either.

Still, the old tension is there as is the joy of being in a bit of map I've never seen before so it's fresh to explore.
  • Fork_Handles 23 Dec 2013 10:45:11 29 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SovietofBears wrote:
    It's strangely different. I've been playing around two hours today and seen only two zombies(!) and one survivor despite scavenging a lot of towns as i move inland.

No sign of a gun yet, just an axe and a few shotgun shells and a lot of desperately trying to find drinks / food / can-opening instruments.

Barns aren't the gold mine they used to be either.

Still, the old tension is there as is the joy of being in a bit of map I've never seen before so it's fresh to explore.
    Sounds like my experience so far, except without finding an axe, and being murdered by someone with an axe.

Hmmm...

That wasn't you was it?
  • Br0ken_Engli5h 23 Dec 2013 12:05:20 1,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm finding that because of all the enterable buildings it's all pretty fresh to explore. Even the coastline cities seem really fresh because of it.
    The major thing to remember when managing thirst and hunger are that you'll drain far quicker when sprinting. Pretty much every town has at least one water pump that you can either drink from directly or fill a canteen up from. Take quite a few drinks at a time, though. Just one doesn't quench your thirst much.
    Different foods can affect your vitality in different ways. Cereal, for instance, is good for combating hunger, but increases your thirst also.

There's some barracks close to the Balota airstrip that are decent for military grade loot. I found three m4's and a ballistic vest there earlier as well as a couple of pistols. Firestations don't seem to carry good weapons anymore, but you can still find a pistol there if somebody hasn't beaten you to it. Both of Elektro's firestations yielded three pistols and two magazines earlier today. I think it probably helped that the server that I continued in this morning was pretty quiet.

Something that only really clicked with me today was the placement of the loot that spawns in. I'm so used to quickly scanning the floor when I'm raiding firestations (it gets really dicey in the tower, so I tend to hurry it up) that I didn't realise that the loot spawns on the shelves instead. God knows how much I missed raiding yesterday.

The updated dayzdb map shows the location of the water pumps:

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus#4.077.128
  • BillMurray 23 Dec 2013 16:05:34 7,911 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had some brilliant stand offs in Balota yesterday with a few of my friends. We were hiding out in one of the new military buildings with the prison cell and had to fight off 8 or 9 bandits trying to gain entry whilst we waited for a friend who had been killed at the barracks and spawned a bit further up the coast.

Starting to get the hang of keeping hunger and thirst at bay and haven't had any difficulty with getting geared up fairly quickly aswell.
  • iGirvan 23 Dec 2013 16:49:34 62 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What are the chances of this going on the steam sale?
  • Metalfish 23 Dec 2013 17:53:44 8,874 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignore the guy above, tongue in cheek as they are. It's basically zero chance of appearing in a sale in the state it is currently in.
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2013 05:51:32 3,842 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I cant believe noone is moaning about the utterly utterly shit controls. I got to the main city, saaw about 3 zombies, got bit ny one and bled out, fair enough. But the fucking controls seems to be worse than the original, trying to line yourself up to go through a door is ridiculous. This is what annoys me because they've already had an extra year and they seem to have done fuck all that wasnt already in the mod, the controls n everything are just ripped straight out of it. They've added some interiors to the buildings and some different coloured leaves. Wow.

The games loses a lot of its fun when you're lunging backwards and forwards trying to open a fucking door. I can accept it on a mod but not on a paid game

Yes its an Alpha I know, but it looks like thats how the controls are going be. Also, it runs at about 30 frames per second in a town on my 670gtx which is worse than the mod and still has that god awful motion blur.

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 05:52:11 24-12-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 24 Dec 2013 06:13:48 75 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There's an option to disable motion blur isn't there?
  • INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2013 06:17:38 3,842 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No idea, but Im pretty sure theres not an option to stop your view to wildly swing around when you move your 'head' (another carry over from Arma) or for you to take a small step left or right.

The whole control scheme is so floaty and inaccurate that it really does ruin the game as I said. You should be able to quickly open and close doors at bare minimum. Its either laziness or delusion that has meant them keeping the exact same shite from Arma. The mod was great, the shite controls were part of the 'quirkiness' of it and I accepted that, but to have them in a paid game....

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 06:18:55 24-12-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• poobob 24 Dec 2013 06:23:07 75 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mmmm. I was going to buy this today. Think I'll wait a while.
  • MrWonderstuff 24 Dec 2013 09:55:25 1,969 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Given all the issues with the 'Alpha' I am still playing this. I must be mad.
  • crimpy 24 Dec 2013 11:25:08 60 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone seen this yet? Pretty good :)[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl-uSR7dKTg]

Edited by crimpy at 11:25:37 24-12-2013

Edited by crimpy at 11:26:03 24-12-2013[http://youtu.be/pl-uSR7dKTg]

Edited by crimpy at 11:26:37 24-12-2013

Edited by crimpy at 11:27:43 24-12-2013

Do you know what "nemesis" means?

• crimpy 24 Dec 2013 11:31:06 60 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @poobob There is an option to disable motion blur and to stop your head moving. also and option to change your POV.

• INSOMANiAC 24 Dec 2013 11:33:36 3,842 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• crimpy 24 Dec 2013 11:34:36 60 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• crimpy 24 Dec 2013 11:35:26 60 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• Cannon_Fodder 24 Dec 2013 11:40:16 222 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    No idea, but Im pretty sure theres not an option to stop your view to wildly swing around when you move your 'head' (another carry over from Arma) or for you to take a small step left or right.
    Head bobbing? Yeah, you can disable it.

Personally I quite like the controls in terms of movement. I agree the interaction with world objects is finicky and frustrating.

Bit disappointed that there aren't any vehicles in Alpha but hey ho, liking the performance compared to the mod. I'm noticing a strange FPS drop regularly though. My screen will slowly look like it's loosing colour, then I get a lag spike and the screen returns to 100% saturation again. Not sure if this only happened after I got wounded and then bandaged myself up.

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous