Broken Sword - The Serpents Curse Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 December 2013 19:06:15
    Does anyone else find gog faster to download from then steam? Might just be me, but I'm getting a pretty quick down here :D
  • INSOMANiAC 4 Dec 2013 19:16:42 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got the Steam version as I want the Linux version of Steam OS and its not available on the GOG version I believe.

The steam Mac version is fucked Im hearing, its only downloading the Bonus content...

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 4 December 2013 23:14:10
    Really enjoying it so far (Not that far into it yet) The quality of it all is good. The hand drawn backgrounds are amazing too.

Story seems to be moving a long at a decent pace and the puzzles are fun and logical. I'm enjoying how your able to put parts of the story together yourself and see if your right or not as it develops.

The characters seem well fleshed out too.

Edited by SG59 at 23:17:17 04-12-2013
  • neilka 4 Dec 2013 23:23:29 15,965 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think it's pretty great too. If you just squint when you're looking at the dodgy character models it could almost be the Broken Sword 3 that everyone actually wanted!

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Deleted user 4 December 2013 23:42:11
    I really hope this does well. Would be nice to see something different do well.
  • INSOMANiAC 5 Dec 2013 01:52:00 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've been playing it for a few hours, up to the artists studio and to be honest so far I#m not overly impressed. The art is nice and some of the humour, but its all moving far too slowly and it's stupidly easy. The only puzzle I got mildly stuck on was the neon light. I'm 28% of the way through so far and it feels like I've done nothing, certainly nothing mildly exciting. Hoping it picks up later on, but its no broken sword 1/2 so far!

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• malloc 5 Dec 2013 08:23:53 2,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Might hold off in that case. Shame.
  • dominalien 5 Dec 2013 08:44:09 6,882 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's very competent technically, too. It doesn't require a gfx card at all, running perfectly on my 6yo work computer with a Geforce 6100. :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 5 December 2013 09:32:07
    Getting the puzzles just right is hard. Most adventure games get it completely wrong and make it nearly impossible without a guide or it being no fun. Prefer they kept the puzzles more realistic and grounded then just plain silly. Don't understand why people would hold off just because of that. Still a enjoyable game.

Edited by SG59 at 09:43:17 05-12-2013
  • INSOMANiAC 5 Dec 2013 10:10:04 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SG59 I agree, and I'd rather have a game that I don't get stuck on trying random items with each other for two hours before giving up, but the puzzles in this so far seem insulting easy. That being said I'm stuck trying to get a peek in the portfolio at the moment so maybe the difficulty picks up as you go along

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 11:45:42 05-12-2013

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• malloc 5 Dec 2013 10:51:35 2,346 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hold off to hear how the rest of the game sounds. They have plenty of adventure game expertise so it shouldn't be a huge task to get it right really.
  • RedSparrows 5 Dec 2013 11:18:09 22,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am liking it, and I'm not that fussed if it is easy (well, to a point. Some harder points would be good). Broken Sword 1 never really taxed me beyond points of 'if I jam this together? Or this?' which is hardly fun gameplay.

I forgot to add another essential: characters must carry all manner of stupid things in their inside jacket pocket. Present and correct.

Edited by RedSparrows at 11:23:09 05-12-2013
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 11:28:33
    @INSOMANiAC Yeah, it's like the whispered world and the night of the rabbit. Both beautifully drawn worlds with good stories behind them. The puzzles completely let them down though. There just not fun.
  • INSOMANiAC 5 Dec 2013 11:39:00 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SG59 Well I've got both of them but I've yet to play them, just back to the future, sam n max, 7 sherlock holmes, broken sword 3 and 4, dracula and this to get through first...

Its not that the puzzles let it down so much, I suppose theres a very fine line between easy and ridiculously obscure (goat anyone), its just that the story is moving so slowly, theres reams of dialogue that the game could do without and in all honesty, if it wasnt a Broken Sword game and if I hadn't paid full whack and waited a year I'm not sure I'd pick it up again.

As I stress though, im only a third through part one and I'm sure theres excitement to come, its just when you play stuff like the Blackwell Chronicles where it seems to be constantly interesting, you can see why the point n clicks of old are relegated to being niche market.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• INSOMANiAC 5 Dec 2013 11:42:57 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RedSparrows

He certainly gets excited about that broken biscuit!

Its true that Broken Sword 1 was pretty easy and yet the best one of the bunch (IMO) but (at the start at least) it has a lot better pacing than this game which feels a little like, 'we made a lot more money than anticipated, we had to make a load of stretch goals, so we stuck a load of filler in'

Also did anyone else see in Veras security the dead rat that said 'Stretch goal' above it, and when you press it George just shrugs?? To me it felt as though they left that in to say 'You didn't give us enough money so we left this bit out' or maybe I'm reading too much into and its a bug.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 5 December 2013 11:57:53
    I thought it has a joke. The cabinet wasnt complete (wooden shelving was to the side of it). Wish we saw this genre move into different direction. We're seeing some stuff like Telltales' games, but would like to see some more in the style of Shenmue or deadly premonition.
  • RedSparrows 5 Dec 2013 11:58:46 22,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I bought it cos I want BS. Not anything else.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 12:11:56
    @RedSparrows oh, same. I don't want BS to change at all. I'm talking about the adventure genre in general when I say i'd like more games like Shenmue etc out there.
  • RedSparrows 5 Dec 2013 12:18:34 22,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am also playing Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Pretty old now, but shit scary. Great stuff. Guess I'd class that as an adventure. For me, point and click is a sub-genre.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 12:33:43
    I agree with that. Point & click is a sub genre. Games like the old resident evil, silent hill and Dino Crisis were part of the adventure genre too really. Just different parts of it.
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 16:34:56
    Anyone seen the Easter egg in henri's office? :)
  • RedSparrows 5 Dec 2013 18:16:04 22,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just failed hard at a puzzle. Good. Mainly cos i am thick.
  • Globbits 5 Dec 2013 22:04:46 48 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @SG59 Smoking mirror cover in a frame? Made me smile when I saw that :D
  • Deleted user 5 December 2013 22:21:04
    @Globbits yup. Hehe, I'm looking for as many as possible now.
  • INSOMANiAC 6 Dec 2013 01:29:18 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Theres a flying pig in the london bit outside the artists studio, dont know if that dignifies anything

Anyway, WOW! the game just ended at 51%, I assumed the percentage was for that part but no, its for the whole game!

That was short and frankly underwhelming, the only good partof the story for me really was the clumsy detective, the rest of it was very very average and veered into the downright dull on more than one occasion to be honest although I did enjoy

dressing up as the dead bloke for his missus.

But regardless, I wasn't impressed

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• RedSparrows 6 Dec 2013 08:06:44 22,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It sounds like I am having a lot more fun than you. Shame.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2013 17:19:10
    Yeah. Same. The structure of the plot is fine and so are the puzzles. The only thing missing for me was some of the amazing music. Don't get me wrong, this has a great score. Just seems a bit on the thin side compared to BS1 and 2.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2013 19:22:31
    Update

Anyone using gog version, check your account. There's been an update to the game. Seems like a pretty big one too.
  • RyanDS 7 Dec 2013 14:50:14 9,388 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished it. Absolutely loved it.  So amazing to play a new point and click rather than just replaying the classics over and over.  9 out of 10 for me.
  • RedSparrows 7 Dec 2013 19:31:50 22,764 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There is one difference which I suspect some will dislike: at the end of a scene, the character will say where they need to go next, or what to do. It doesn't solve puzzles for you, but I guess some people will feel it's too much.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last