Where next for Nintendo?

• Page

of 26 First / Last

Previous
  • LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2013 10:32:17 44,254 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, because apparently nowhere else is suitable to dissect Nintendo's business strategy and future plans, I've created a thread specifically to discuss Nintendo's business strategy and future plans.

Nintendo is in the following position:

Very strong handheld market share and well supported platform.
    Non-existent console market position, very limited developer support.
    Cash rich.
    Shrinking core fanbase due to corporate strategy with the Wii (as evidenced by WiiU).
    Out of sync with the console development cycle as dictated by Sony / MS.

Options:

Continue to develop quirky, pseudo-innovative consoles with a focus on first party games. This is their existing strategy, but the problem is that they punched themselves in the face doing this already as the WiiU tanked in an empty market, so at present this doesn't work.

Fasttrack a console that competes with MS / Sony on their own terms. Only slightly less destructive than the above, it goes against Nintendo's post-Gamecube philosophy. It would be expensive and likely fail.

Make a handheld-console hybrid. Fanboy favourite theory but arguably would cannibalise 3DS sales and it's hard to otherwise see what niche this would occupy. Who would buy a handheld/console hybrid that wouldn't buy a 3DS or Vita?

Drop out of the console market and pimp their franchises out to third party consoles, aka 'doing a Sega'. Not likely given Nintendo's financial security, although this is arguably the best solution for the fans.

What do you think? Feel free to be positive or negative, no need for training wheels in here.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• TheSaint 3 Dec 2013 10:34:07 14,417 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Drop out of the console market and pimp their franchises out to third party consoles, aka 'doing a Sega'. Not likely given Nintendo's financial security, although this is arguably the best solution for the fans.
    Ideally this. I wouldn't buy a Nintendo console but I'd like to play their first party games.
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2013 10:37:56 59,952 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nintendo are often accused of being greedy but they are sitting on an unexploited goldmine.

The amount of money they would make selling NES, SNES and game and watch titles on the App Store would probably eclipse any revenue stream they currently have.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• GiarcYekrub 3 Dec 2013 10:46:21 3,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Make a NEW WiiU Zelda
    Make a NEW Metroid Prime WiiU game
    Make a NEW 2D Metroidvania WiiU game
    Make a NEW F Zero WiiU game
    Make a NEW Lylat Wars WiiU game
  • Kay 3 Dec 2013 10:47:36 17,894 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Make a handheld-console hybrid. Fanboy favourite theory but arguably would cannibalise 3DS sales and it's hard to otherwise see what niche this would occupy. Who would buy a handheld/console hybrid that wouldn't buy a 3DS or Vita?
    If this does happen, it would be as the 3DS/Wii U successor I should imagine.

A handheld-console hybrid would make sense in so many ways. Either as a handheld that can stream/connect to a TV to double up as a home console (easy) or, if they're really feeling crazy, something like the Wii U but with a tablet that can be used with its own games and apps outside the home.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Dec 2013 10:48:22 38,256 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think they need to just ride the 3DS for a while. They can't release another handheld yet, and another console now would be equally as pointless.

So wring the 3DS for all it's worth and then when it's time to move on to new hardware get it right. None of this quirky seven-year-old hardware bollocks, give us something impressive.

Unless they're happy just pandering to the minority that is... But I can't see that continuing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• TheMayorOfJugs 3 Dec 2013 10:49:31 3,543 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Make moar epic 3ds games.
    Disregard WiiU, acquire munneh.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 10:52:53 1,723 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'd go with a combination of Nick and Tom's answers.

Also - hire more staff.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Dec 2013 10:56:56 38,256 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Make a NEW WiiU Zelda
    Exactly the opposite of this. New IP please. I don't care how fucking unique, magical and infused with fairy dust the new Mario is, it's another Mario game and I think a lot of people are just rolling their eyes when they see Mario game #162 (actual number).

Nintendo are stuck in the past. Or at least they give the image that they are.

• LeoliansBro 3 Dec 2013 10:57:16 44,254 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GiarcYekrub wrote:
    Make a NEW WiiU Zelda
    This is more the wishlist of an existing WiiU owners. None of those are a) a good idea, b) going to happen or c) going to save the WiiU.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 3 Dec 2013 10:58:02 11,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Do the hybrid in a couple of years when the 3ds is EOL anyway

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 10:58:37 03-12-2013

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• DFawkes 3 Dec 2013 10:58:35 22,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, the Zelda is announced and happening, though it wouldn't surprise me if it gets Twilight Princess-ised and comes out on whatever's next too.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• thedaveeyres 3 Dec 2013 10:59:14 11,085 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two words...

BLAST

CORPS.

BELIEVE (this isn't one of the two words, this is the third word and is here merely to comment on the two previous words. For clarification, the two words are "BLAST CORPS".)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Deckard1 3 Dec 2013 10:59:17 28,004 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Going handheld only and multiplatform on the home consoles is their only option for me. They can't survive on the interest of middle aged manchildren forever, and risk further faiding into utter irrelevance if they don't act soon.

Edited by Deckard1 at 11:02:28 03-12-2013
  • DFawkes 3 Dec 2013 11:02:15 22,980 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Two words...

BLAST.

CORPS.
    Won't this be a Rare IP, so in Microsoft's hands now, like Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie? I'm not sure myself, I've not idea which are Nintendo's and which went with Rare.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 11:12:10 1,723 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Imagine the bidding war over certain Nintendo IPs if they went multiplatform.
  • beastmaster 3 Dec 2013 11:12:50 11,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just more great games on the Wii U will do nicely, thank you very much.

Edited by beastmaster at 11:13:00 03-12-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• spazmo 3 Dec 2013 11:14:08 2,778 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The internet:

Nintendo HQ:
  • Sid-Nice 3 Dec 2013 11:16:33 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sega only exist in name only; Sega failed at going software only and were bought by Sammy Holdings. I honestly don't think PlayStation or Microsoft console fans would by the Nintendo franchises. The old cliché "Games sell consoles" was proved wrong with the PS4 launch; the PS4 sold amazingly through marketing "Power and Graphics" was the main selling point.

If Nintendo launched a console with parity with the PS4; it would still be looked upon as a kid’s toy. All Nintendo can hope for is a niche in the console marketplace; they’ll never be the machine for COD and Fifa etc.

NNID Sid-Nice

• sega 3 Dec 2013 11:18:59 869 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure "doing a Sega" was very good for Sega, especially if they did consoles specific exclusives (Such as how the PS2 got Virtua Fighter 4, The Xbox got Panzer Dragoon and the GameCube got Sonic). For a Sega fan that was hell needing three consoles instead of one - imagine Zelda on Xbox One, Metroid on PS4 etc.

The Wii U is a lost cause. I wouldn't consider one unless they did a version that ditched the GamePad and restored GameCube support. That's unlikely to happen so, at the very least, I'd expect decent third party support to emerge. Nintendo games alone are not enough for me.

I think a good way to go would be to enter PC and mobile gaming as well as keep their console business going. Even if it's just the retro titles. I'd spend loads on classic Nintendo titles if they were made available for the PC legally. A sort of Virtual Console PC.
  • Fake_Blood 3 Dec 2013 11:19:58 4,213 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think that nintendo can do a sega, I think they make most of their money from the hardware.
  • Deleted user 3 December 2013 11:23:23
    First things first. Nintendo do not innovate. They simply use the word badly.

Third party could do well for them, but its risky. A change like that takes time and there's no guarantee it will work out for them. Sega have a heap of good IP's too, yet they don't tap into them.

Edited by SG59 at 11:25:47 03-12-2013
  • nickthegun 3 Dec 2013 11:23:59 59,952 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    I honestly don't think PlayStation or Microsoft console fans would by the Nintendo franchises.
    I absolutely guarantee you that Mario 3D would have sold more on the 360/PS3 than it has done on the Wii U.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• JoeGBallad 3 Dec 2013 11:25:48 383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    they’ll never be the machine for COD and Fifa etc.

And that is perfectly fine.

Edited by JoeGBallad at 11:26:38 03-12-2013

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 11:26:34 1,723 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    First things first. Nintendo do not innovate.
    Not so sure about this - if you're strictly speaking about the Wii U I'd be inclined to agree, but on the whole as a company or throughout their history I'd beg to differ.
  • beastmaster 3 Dec 2013 11:29:01 11,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do Nintendo still have the license for Goldeneye?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Dec 2013 11:29:04 38,256 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They haven't innovated a damn thing for at least a decade.

Actually, make that 15 years.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 11:29:35 03-12-2013

• Ultrasoundwave 3 Dec 2013 11:30:01 3,305 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In my opinion, Nintendo need to push aside the Wii U and get some new hardware out within 2 years.

Obviously, their going to bring out the exclusives they've got lined up first and thats fair enough, but they need to do some serious damaged control.

They wont do it because they think they know best, but they really need to do what Sony have done with the PS4 : consult developers, work with their community and release a new console with similar specs to the Xbox One/PS4.

When you think that NONE of the upcoming multiplatform games are being released for it (apart from Watch Dogs) its actually quite worrying for Nintendo (as far as the Wii U is concerned).

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• oceanmotion 3 Dec 2013 11:34:01 15,952 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Continue the handheld, tablet Nintendo hardware and go 3rd party on consoles. Ignore everything else.
  • Rhaegyr 3 Dec 2013 11:34:14 1,723 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MrTomFTW

Didn't you consider the Wii innovative? Genuine question.
  • Page

of 26 First / Last

Previous