Dragon Quest VIII Page 4

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 November 2005 15:55:23
    tengu, I haven't even upgraded it yet (maybe 2-3 points invested so far) and it's already doing 20-ish damage to _ALL_ monsters. With a bit of luck it can kill half of them in one shot. Before you laugh at my weak damage level, my guys are only level 9.
  • silentbob 26 Nov 2005 15:57:17 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Haven't used the boomerang at all yet, is it any good?

Just added Angelo to the party and arrive at the next town(castle?). Game is excellent so far, having a lot of fun, though I'm not having much luck with the alchemy pot right now, I'm too reluctant to waste items in it.
    Tengu - word of advice - GET IT NOW! :) Believe me, it makes everything a whole lot more satisfying, not mention quicker when fighting.

RE the Alchemy Pot - you cannot waste anything. If you try and combine items it's either work or not, it wont let you put anything in the pot that won't result in something else. Also, another word of advice: READ EVERY BOOK, there are loads of fantastic bits and bobs and more importantly shedloads of recipes, which incidentally get automatically added to your recipe list upon reading.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 27 November 2005 22:03:33
    Yay, had a proper session today with food and beer in front of the game! Just got the world map O_o: bloody 'ell guv', it's 'uge! Made my way to the big castle to the east and saved there.

The boomerang is ace, now that it's been alchemized. Gotta level up the newcommer a bit and buy some new gear... ace game!
  • Blerk Moderator 1 Dec 2005 14:49:42 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice video review of DQVIII at GameTrailers if you're still on the fence.

I need this game. Yes.
  • Firewine 1 Dec 2005 15:00:46 283 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's probably worth mentioning that there isn't a progressive scan option, so at least the PAL version won't be missing out in that regard.
  • silentbob 5 Dec 2005 19:07:07 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Excellent voice acting btw, I love Yangus's accent :D
    Definitely shades of Ray Winstone in there yeah!? :)

Blerk, you'll love it.

/Waves copy out of window

Actually - been away for a week, must be well behind you guys now. Anyone found resurrection yet? Got the three slot Alchemy pot BTW - any weapon enhancement tips for it?

Edited by silentbob at 19:08:53 05-12-2005

• Scimarad 5 Dec 2005 19:52:16 8,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I must say that despite my initial fantastic impressions of DQVIII I'm not feeling much of an urge to play it. I really like the graphics, it's had some great scenes (like that bar fight!) and the monsters continue to be pleasingly daft but for some reason I'm just losing interest.

Maybe I'm not as enamoured of old-fashioned RPGs as I thought I was...

• silentbob 5 Dec 2005 20:00:30 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I must say that despite my initial fantastic impressions of DQVIII I'm not feeling much of an urge to play it. I really like the graphics, it's had some great scenes (like that bar fight!) and the monsters continue to be pleasingly daft but for some reason I'm just losing interest.

Maybe I'm not as enamoured of old-fashioned RPGs as I thought I was...

I can't deny that it is quite an antiquated experience. It really is steadfastly old-fashioned. Bizarrely for me (king of the GFX ho's) it has really not hampered my positive experiences. Yes, overall it doesn't 'do' a lot. But what it does it does so well, and with real style. Above all, the game has real character, something that seems to be universally devoid of a lot of modern RPG's (Final Fantasy anyone).

I have a feeling that it will be a game of significantly differetn 2 halfs as well, I am on the verge of getting my airship and more to the point I haven't even scratched the surface of the Alchemy pot yet.

• Scimarad 5 Dec 2005 20:34:31 8,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Above all, the game has real character, something that seems to be universally devoid of a lot of modern RPG's (Final Fantasy anyone)."

Aha! I think that would be our fundamental disagreement:-) I absolutely loved FFX despite some pretty bad VA and the odd cringeworthy scene. Oh, and a couple of the subquests!

I must say I actually prefer the characters/npcs from Radiata Stories though I would be the first to admit that DQVIII is much better RPG from a conventional point of view. Personally my favourite RPG of this year has been Digital Devil Saga by miles and miles!

• Deleted user 11 December 2005 18:39:24
    How's everyone doing, I mean all 3 of you that are playing this game? :)

I'm at Castle Trondheim or whtvr looking for the library and I have to say that, with the exception of one or two bosses, the game's a breeze with all combat a bit on the easy side.
  • itamae 11 Dec 2005 18:46:32 9,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've already played the first 20 minutes! \o/

Er, Fahrenheit and Makai Kingdom got in the way to be honest. But worry not, I'm ][ so close to deinstalling Fahrenheit again because the "flying furniture" scene is driving me insane. Ninja Gaiden is a walk in the park in comparison.

Edited by itamae at 18:47:12 11-12-2005
  • silentbob 11 Dec 2005 18:48:35 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    valli wrote:
    How's everyone doing, I mean all 3 of you that are playing this game? :)

I'm at Castle Trondheim or whtvr looking for the library and I have to say that, with the exception of one or two bosses, the game's a breeze with all combat a bit on the easy side.
    The game does punish you for not preparing, but as long as you are it is generally straightforward. You can get into real trouble (as I mentioned) if you rush. If you go barreling into a dungeon below the appropriate level you'll be in trouble - it sounds like you've been levelling steadily as you go.

I now have the airship (it sounds as if you have one more boss to go yet) and Angelo (thank fuck!) just acquired a resurrection spell. If you haven't already, sling your skill points into Charisma - I think that's where the spell (called Zing) comes from. It'll save your arse on the next boss which is a real pain (very funny though - best voiceover so far ;). Oh and I just found the character who wants those little mini-medals you hoarde from the beginning! :)

Loving it all as I said, I fear all of you will overtake me shortly - I don't have enough time to devote to it at the moment. :/

• Firewine 11 Dec 2005 19:00:27 283 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trying to catch up on my backlog means I haven't gotten too far with this yet, but I haven't found it tough-going yet (steady levelling is a fairly standard RPG rule for me). Also, as has been pointed out, the boomerang definitely helps :)
    silentbob wrote:
    I just found the character who wants those little mini-medals you hoarde from the beginning! :)
    Uh-oh, I've been selling them. I guess I'm gonna be missing out on something good then.

:(

Edited by Firewine at 19:07:51 11-12-2005
  • Deleted user 11 December 2005 19:07:43
    Cheers silentbob, got Angelo's Zing just an hour ago and I had exactely the same reaction as you: "thank f*ck!"... :D

I'm stocking up on Holy Waters to avoid those crap monster battles that give me 20xp or so, works great and the powerful monsters still fight me. I think the reason I'm finding it rather easy is that I've invested lots of points in the main char's Boomerang skill. The girl (Jessica?) has just gained an Oomph! skill which doubles the attack power of a character PERMANENTLY until the battle ends. That combined with one or two Tensions kills pretty much everything in sight.
  • Deleted user 11 December 2005 19:24:58
    Yep, both Kabuff and Sap (love the names!) are part of my boss bashing arsenal. The last one was a joke after kabuffing my team about 6-8 times: he did something like 8 damage, a move that would normally kill a character. :D

Too bad about the Oomph running out after a few turns though...
  • silentbob 11 Dec 2005 19:28:28 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Airship? You mean regular ship surely? :p

Got that myself a while ago, looks like I've overtaken the rest of you, so I'll say nothing in case I spoilerise things, but it's going good so far. Some really cheap monsters that do far too much damage in the random battles, but it's still all good.
    Hey, it starts off in the air. ;P

Yer - today was the first time I'd played in a week. :/ Buying a house sucks! ;)

• itamae 19 Dec 2005 08:33:12 9,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right, I've just reached the second town so because I'm afraid of spoilers I won't read the thread. Just a quick question if I may: Monster Coins - sell them or keep them? I mean, I could really use those 200gp, but my hoarding instincts urge me to keep them.
  • itamae 20 Dec 2005 08:36:57 9,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nevermind, I've just met an old woman in Port Somethingorother who told me that her boyfriend collects monster medals. I guess I'll hold on to them a while longer then.

Yes, well, excellent game. Definitely old-school, but in a very charming way. Jessica has just joined my party (her new outfit reminded me of this VG Cats issue) and thanks to my excessive leveling it has been smooth sailing so far. Except for some of the bonus monsters that is, the Dracosaurus right at the start is hard!

Will spend some time the alchemy pot later on, I wonder if I can turn Jessica's old dress into something useful. \o/
  • silentbob 20 Dec 2005 11:02:44 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    Right, I've just reached the second town so because I'm afraid of spoilers I won't read the thread. Just a quick question if I may: Monster Coins - sell them or keep them? I mean, I could really use those 200gp, but my hoarding instincts urge me to keep them.
    As did mine itamae - but they seem only to be usefully for money. If you scour the map you will find some nasties that drop gold and silver coins too - which give you up to 500gp!

You're right about some of thw bonus monsters, however - once I hit 4 party members they seem to be very straightforward (it could be me that's improving of course).

Finally found my first Magic Water yesterday - at last I can actually replensih sodding MP whitout having to find an Inn!

*** Spoilers ***
    At last some new transportation!! Got the bell to call sabrecats and can now fly about the countryside (very civilised too). Changed my tactics a little after Jessica received Oomph! (Firebird Throw kicks arse now!) - and started fighting ememies in groups of up to 8 or 9 at once!
    **** Spoiler End ***

Have had limited luck with the Alchemy port so far - has anyone got any useful recipe's they can share?

• Scimarad 20 Dec 2005 18:45:49 8,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have had absolutely NO success with the Alchemy pot aside from the ones that I have been told about - I just can't invent anything. I had no problem with SO3's invention system and most people complained bitterly about that...

/imagines DQVIII with Atelier Iris' alchemy system
  • Deleted user 20 December 2005 19:01:24
    When's it out here then? :(
  • urizen 20 Dec 2005 19:08:03 2,158 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    When's it out here then? :(

Yes, seconded - anyone know? Can't find any concrete info.
  • itamae 20 Dec 2005 19:13:12 9,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TBA 2006.

Sorry, Sony doesn't feel like telling us just yet. :-(

... and I agree, the Alchemy pot is too cumbersome to be of real use. Bad menu, too much text to click through and too long animation between two mixing attempts.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2005 19:13:57
    Bloody Sony. :(

At least there's SOTC, Katamari and Okami to look forward to.
  • Scimarad 20 Dec 2005 19:25:53 8,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So what sort of things do I need to chuck in the pot to improve my weapons and armour? Or isn't it that simple...

• itamae 20 Dec 2005 19:30:58 9,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only recipes I've figured out so far are Nail + Bronze Dagger, Healing Herb x2, Improved Healing Herb x2, Super Healing Herb x2 and Antidote x2. Hooray for me :-/
  • Scimarad 20 Dec 2005 19:31:48 8,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh - Sounds like you are about as good at is as me:-)
  • silentbob 20 Dec 2005 21:44:12 28,969 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Red moss + cheese makes spicy cheese. It's for your mouse but I'm buggered if I know when you use it.

3 x Healing Herbs makes - somethign but I can't remember. :)
    3 x Moonwort Makes something that I also can't remember. :)

By the looks of it - bronze knives are key to a lot of the found recipes. They sell them at teh port that I can't remember the name of.

All useful stuff huh!? ;)

• itamae 21 Dec 2005 07:31:19 9,880 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've had a look at an alchemy FAQ yesterday and while there are a shitload of recipes, I somehow doubt that you are supposed to figure out the more obscure combinations for yourself. Guess I'll print out a copy for reference.
  • Scimarad 21 Dec 2005 07:36:09 8,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Right, I think I'll dig out that FAQ - Not that I have developed any urge to play DQ at the moment but I know I'll probably get around to it.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last