Dragon Quest VIII Page 14

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• Deleted user 21 December 2006 12:10:40
    I was going to list Okami, but since I don't really know what to expect with it I'm cautiously optimistic.

I've beaten the first dragon, but I just can't get hits in on the second one. If I remember correctly it uses tripping moves and abnormal status effects.
  • Mr_Brown 13 Jan 2007 13:34:28 973 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I've been playing through this bit by bit, becoming more and more addicted to it though! I've just got the boat and my characters are around lvl 23 - 25 so probably got a long way to go yet. But refuse to use Game FAQ's

Even considering getting a slime controller to get the full DQ experience!

Vita: GameOverYeah

• CitizenGeek 20 Jan 2007 12:21:34 3,527 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This game is absolutely amazing! It may have been a little slow to start, but after Jessica was on board, the game never looked back.

The visuals are amazing, enemy designs (One Knight Stands ftw!) and the story all made for a totally enthralling gaming experience. And it has the honour of being the game I;ve spent the most time with - 92 hours. And that's 92 hours of adventuring and exploring. I didn't waste anytime levelgrinding, there was so much to do, I didn't even really need to.

Anyone you hasn't played this game - I commend you to go to Play.com and purchase it immediately, where it only costs 18 or in fake money, 11.99. Not buyig this game at that price is a crime!

As for DQVIII being the best game on PS2, well I wouldn;t say that - I think Final Fantasy X is definately a better game and I think it pretty much does everythign better than DQVIII (humour aside). I think I probably prefer Disgaea as well, and MGS3, but hey! 4th place ain't so bad.

Is it worth trying to beat the Dragovian Trials?
  • CitizenGeek 20 Jan 2007 12:59:09 3,527 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I am already there and it was well worth it, to be sure. The dungeon leading to it was VERY difficult, but it was still very much worth it. I'm not sure that beating the Dragovian Trials has any real point - I mean, sure, you can lots of pssibly great items, but whats the point when you have the game finished?
  • HiddenAway 20 Jan 2007 21:45:13 14,859 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    Well, I am already there and it was well worth it, to be sure. The dungeon leading to it was VERY difficult, but it was still very much worth it. I'm not sure that beating the Dragovian Trials has any real point - I mean, sure, you can lots of pssibly great items, but whats the point when you have the game finished?

There are some half decent prizes in the trials, including Hero exclusive armour. Also, you need to complete the trials fully to complete your monster list.

There are other rewards as well but I'll keep that secret ;-)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• CitizenGeek 21 Jan 2007 12:15:41 3,527 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, sounds cool. I think I may get around to it some other time. Has anyone completed the Monster Arena? I'm up to the last rank, but I can't beat even the first one...
  • HiddenAway 21 Jan 2007 23:06:37 14,859 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    Hmm, sounds cool. I think I may get around to it some other time. Has anyone completed the Monster Arena? I'm up to the last rank, but I can't beat even the first one...

Well if you know the level up procedure (the quickest but most tedious and frustrating) it isn't too bad to get through.

As for the monster arena, I had to use a guide to finish it but yes, I have done so :-)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• neetwit 23 Jan 2007 12:36:02 1 posts
    Registered 8 years ago
    CitizenGeek wrote:
    This game is absolutely amazing! It may have been a little slow to start, but after Jessica was on board, the game never looked back.

The visuals are amazing, enemy designs (One Knight Stands ftw!) and the story all made for a totally enthralling gaming experience. And it has the honour of being the game I;ve spent the most time with - 92 hours. And that's 92 hours of adventuring and exploring. I didn't waste anytime levelgrinding, there was so much to do, I didn't even really need to.

Anyone you hasn't played this game - I commend you to go to Play.com and purchase it immediately, where it only costs 18 or in fake money, 11.99. Not buyig this game at that price is a crime!

As for DQVIII being the best game on PS2, well I wouldn;t say that - I think Final Fantasy X is definately a better game and I think it pretty much does everythign better than DQVIII (humour aside). I think I probably prefer Disgaea as well, and MGS3, but hey! 4th place ain't so bad.

Is it worth trying to beat the Dragovian Trials?

ordered it from play.com and they sent me a stinking platinum edition... 70% price cut my a$$... that's what platinum games usually sell for. i'm gonna send it back , i hope they'll pay for the shipping back (unlikely) unless they want to loose a customer.
  • HiddenPooh 3 Feb 2007 09:12:50 1,427 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very late to the party with this game.
    Started yesterday and finding this very tough indeed. Tried going straight to the waterfall cave and getting my arse kicked. How much levelling should I do before attempting this first dungeon?
  • CitizenGeek 3 Feb 2007 09:36:30 3,527 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HiddenPooh wrote:
    Very late to the party with this game.
    Started yesterday and finding this very tough indeed. Tried going straight to the waterfall cave and getting my arse kicked. How much levelling should I do before attempting this first dungeon?

Oh yes, the first dungeon is probably one of the hardest and with the boss at the edn of it......I would say about 4 or 5 levels shoudl do the trick. If you are looking for something to do while leveling up, then I suggest you go around thge cave and asend it. There, you'll find a house with a man in it. Speak to him and he'll give you something to do - I canlt remeber exactly what it is, but it's a funner way to levelgrind.

For your monster team use a healer, Talos and another uber strong character; piece of cake then! :-)

Well, I have Talos (ftw!), but where would I find a healer?

ordered it from play.com and they sent me a stinking platinum edition... 70% price cut my a$$... that's what platinum games usually sell for. i'm gonna send it back , i hope they'll pay for the shipping back (unlikely) unless they want to loose a customer.

But, like, I thought you ordered Dragon Quest the game and not Dragon Quest the cover? Does it really matter that much?
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Feb 2007 09:25:42 2,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't played this game in months (got stuck on Rhapthorne when you have to unleash the seven sages, etc), but I'm thinking about going back to it and doing some grinding so's I can finish up.

Just one thing though - how and where do I find the monster arena? I've done about 85 hours and been all over the place, but I don't think I've come across anything like that. I do have a handful of monster coins though, despite selling a few early on when I needed the cash. I presume they're what I need to take part in the arena?
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Feb 2007 09:54:36 2,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers blize. I'm tempted to break this game out tonight, even though I've just started Okami too. I'm not sure there's enough hours for two such time-consuming games.
  • Youthist 15 Feb 2007 10:03:56 10,010 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Well you're right near the end now, so I'd definitely recommend completing DQ and getting it out of the way before delving too deeply into Okami! :-)

I reckon it'll take you maybe an hour to kill Rhapthorne if you're prepared and get a good strategy, two or three if you want to do some more preparations and clear the monster arena (assuming you've got a good monster team with a healer). Then there's the extra dungeon, which unlike every other post-game dungeon, I'd actually recommend playing through since it reveals a huge proportion of story and also reveals a bonus ending too which is pretty neat. Very high 'story to gameplay' ratio, so if you like storylines, you should do it :-)

Where is this extra dungeon? I completed DQ8 and didnt know of any extra dungeon?

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Triggerhappytel 15 Feb 2007 10:13:04 2,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is the extra dungeon under that platform on the mountain not far from Baccarat and Chateau Felix? It's also quite near where you find that ghost sabrecat at dawn, near the huge tree?
  • Triggerhappytel 15 Feb 2007 10:34:37 2,678 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay, thanks pal. I thought that area was important for some reason, and it didn't seem to be accessible before I pottered off to deal with Rhapthorne.

I think I will get this back out tonight and put Okami on ice for the moment.
  • Pooley 20 Feb 2007 13:07:52 1,507 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't played this game after Dhoulmagus gave me a whupping when I met him on the Dark Isle, I think. I kinda gave up after that as I wasn't willing to do more grinding to get my team up to a level to beat him. I think I met him way too early, my characters were about level 25 to 28.

Is there a good way to get my characters up a few levels to beat this guy? Monster arena?
  • Weebleboy 20 Feb 2007 13:22:34 367 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    Is there a good way to get my characters up a few levels to beat this guy? Monster arena?

From what I remember there's a pool of magic water just before you fight Dhoulmagus which restores your HP and MP? I had to level up to about 30 for everyone so I just used Yangus' spell to summon a fight, beat it, get the experience points, and then used the pool to get my health back. Repeat until you're at 30.

Bit tedious, but it was the only significant bit of levelling I had to do for the rest of the game.

Monster Arena doesn't help your stats I'm afraid.
  • famous_roy 20 Feb 2007 15:54:38 4,099 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dhoulmagus absolutely annihalated me, the ballbag. Any strategies more beating him? Also how far away from the end of the game are you at this stage, im on like 40 hours! Had this game for over a year, bout time I wrapped it up.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Weebleboy 20 Feb 2007 16:24:46 367 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:
    Dhoulmagus absolutely annihalated me, the ballbag. Any strategies more beating him? Also how far away from the end of the game are you at this stage, im on like 40 hours! Had this game for over a year, bout time I wrapped it up.

No strategies I'm afraid, check gamefaqs for some decent help, I had to refer to it a couple of times.

Don't want do demoralise you but I beat the game this weekend with 110+ hours on the clock... I reckon you're about halfway through!
  • Tomo 9 Mar 2007 00:58:46 13,882 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just started DQ8 this evening. Thought I better play this before Okami and FFXII otherwise I doubt I ever will.

Was loving it actually. Lovely graphics, some cracking voices and terrific music. Also like the "feel" of it, almost Zelda/FF splice. The loading times are ever so slightly noticable tho which isn't great when they're so frequent.

Anyway... went to the first dungeon in the waterfall and got my arse absolutely served to me! Jeez! I had to warp out half way thro after getting one member killed. Came back and got to Geyzer and got my arse royally kicked.

That didn't impress me - not a very nice way to ease you in. I'm not a great fan of levelling up in games, always find in a real bind and so early on is taking the mick.

Anyway, the game has somewhat captured my heart more than I was expecting so I'll explore the rest of the cave and persist!
  • Page

of 18 First / Last