Dragon Quest VIII

• Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 14 February 2005 12:45:41
    So has anyone played it? Apparently, it's better than FF7. It looks so good, but I just know it'll never get a European release. It's confirmed for a US release Q3 '05, so importers'll get it, I suppose. I just need a really good RPG, and DQ8 seems to fit the bill.

Dump all your DQVIII or just DQ info here and feel free to talk about this splendid game!
  • itamae 14 Feb 2005 13:08:28 9,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't played it myself, but what I've read about it doesn't really kindle my interest so far. It seems to come from the oldest of old schools, with lots of random encounters, big dungeons, hard as nails bosses bla bla you know the drill.

Apparently the main focus of the game are the story and character interactions though, so despite the tired game mechanics it might be pretty good. But to be honest I don't really like Toriyama's character design. It all looks rather samey to me.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2005 13:11:20
    I know nothing of this game and given that dragon quest 7 was a truly awful experience im not that interested. But better than ff7 you say?
  • Decoded 14 Feb 2005 13:12:50 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    itamae wrote:
    It seems to come from the oldest of old schools, with lots of random encounters, big dungeons, hard as nails bosses bla bla you know the drill.

Well that's just extinguished my interest. I'm fed up with wandering around ruins/temples/underground caves...
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Feb 2005 13:15:46 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, from what I hear it's absolutely rock-solid and random-battle-stacked, so avoid if you don't like that kind of thing.

Hasn't dampened my enthusiasm any, I must admit. But I'm a sucker for Level 5 stuff. :-)
  • Deleted user 14 February 2005 13:18:27
    Blerk wrote:
    Yeah, from what I hear it's absolutely rock-solid and random-battle-stacked, so avoid if you don't like that kind of thing.

Hasn't dampened my enthusiasm any, I must admit. But I'm a sucker for Level 5 stuff. :-)

Heh, same. Dark Chronicle and Dark Cloud were great. I'm not big on random battles and insane difficulty (You may have to sell your armour and weapons to revive your party), but it's DQ, people. Also, the graphics are amazing. Possibly the best on PS2, IMO.
  • Machiavel 14 Feb 2005 13:18:56 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't mind hard RPGs as long as they're buffed up with a pretty stick +4. The world map looks lovely, haven't heard enough about the combat yet.
  • Deleted user 14 February 2005 13:27:38
    Machiavel wrote:
    I don't mind hard RPGs as long as they're buffed up with a pretty stick +4. The world map looks lovely, haven't heard enough about the combat yet.

I think it's like the first person turnbased stuff of old. With extremely good animation, supposedly.

I'm surprised EDGE didn't review it last issue. GamesTM have it in the current one though.

9/10

Better than: Final Fantasy VII

Worse than: Chrono Trigger (Or was it Cross?)
  • Machiavel 14 Feb 2005 13:35:03 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:

I think it's like the first person turnbased stuff of old. With extremely good animation, supposedly.

Sounds good - so it depends on the US/EU frequency setting of random battles...
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Feb 2005 13:36:02 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Worse than: Chrono Trigger (Or was it Cross?)

Trigger.
  • sephy 14 Feb 2005 13:44:43 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:

LIES! UTTER LIES!
    /has not played the game but is uber elitist about FFVII

ss For 'Trigger, i never saw what all the fuss was. It was over far too quickly (sixteen hours wtf?), and rather anti climatic
  • Deleted user 14 February 2005 13:46:50
    sephy wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

LIES! UTTER LIES!

ss For 'Trigger, i never saw what all the fuss was. It was over far too quickly (sixteen hours wtf?), and rather anti climatic

Are you sure you're not talking about Halo 2?

I bought FF7 again not so long ago and just haven't got into it at all. I'm only meeting Tifa! I don't think I can be bothered going through it all again last time and then my save getting corrupted. At the start of Disc 3, FFS!
  • Daryoon 14 Feb 2005 13:47:18 4,611 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    *still doesn't get all the praise rained upon CT*
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Feb 2005 13:47:38 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thou shalt not disrespect the mighty Chrono Trigger!

/slaps
  • sephy 14 Feb 2005 13:48:41 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    sephy wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:

LIES! UTTER LIES!

Are you sure you're not talking about Halo 2?

I bought FF7 again not so long ago and just haven't got into it at all. I'm only meeting Tifa! I don't think I can be bothered going through it all again last time and then my save getting corrupted. At the start of Disc 3, FFS!
    No, Halo is just bollocks full stop
    /puts on fire retardant suit

and if you were using a 3rd party mem card then you only have yourself to blame :p
  • sephy 14 Feb 2005 13:49:23 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Thou shalt not disrespect the mighty Chrono Trigger!

/slaps
    I dont recall anyone saying it was crap, just that they didn't see the fuss :)
  • Decoded 14 Feb 2005 14:05:41 4,426 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    While we're on the subject can I just say that I couldn't understand the fuss over Grandia? No? Okay...

/goes away
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Feb 2005 14:31:04 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heretics! The lot of you!

/sets fire to thread
  • Deleted user 14 February 2005 14:32:21
    Blerk wrote:

/sets fire to thread

/gets fire extinguisher
    /sets fire to Blerk
  • itamae 14 Feb 2005 14:34:55 9,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago

...says the .hack lover.

/dons fireproof "Star Ocean fanboi" shirt
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Feb 2005 14:37:26 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tch. Me n' .hack have a 'mutual understanding'.
  • Machiavel 14 Feb 2005 14:38:28 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Crikey, how many times must you jump into this same fight until you reach the next level of discourse? :)

/runs out of room (incorporating 6 random battles against mice)
  • Bloody.lawonG 7 Apr 2005 16:16:20 87 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HEY i think it looks good. Dark chronicle was great so it should be good. that reminds me... dark cloud 3...
  • Blerk Moderator 28 Apr 2005 16:39:21 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting quote from Squenix Europe's web site:

"We are very much looking forward to showcasing our extensive line-up at this year's E3," said John Yamamoto, President CEO of Square Enix Ltd.. "In addition to our familiar European franchises such as FINAL FANTASY XII and KINGDOM HEARTS II, we will present many other exciting titles from our portfolio including DRAGON QUEST VIII, which looks set to become another major global franchise for Square Enix. E3 will also be the perfect stage to highlight our commitment to delivering polymorphic content, our new content model based on creating original interactive concepts on multiple platforms."

Sounds like Dragon Quest is coming to Europe after all! At last!

Full E3 press release
  • sephy 28 Apr 2005 16:51:30 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Interesting quote from Squenix Europe's web site:

"We are very much looking forward to showcasing our extensive line-up at this year's E3," said John Yamamoto, President CEO of Square Enix Ltd.. "In addition to our familiar European franchises such as FINAL FANTASY XII and KINGDOM HEARTS II, we will present many other exciting titles from our portfolio including DRAGON QUEST VIII, which looks set to become another major global franchise for Square Enix.

Sounds like Dragon Quest is coming to Europe after all! At last!

They've been saying it for years, but have shown little improvement in terms of game releases. The bonus content is there (and has been since FFX), but I actually think the release schedules are no better then during the ps1 days (I can only think of 5 non FF square games on ps1 in europe)

Hopefully, it will chnage in q3 and beyond
  • itamae 26 May 2005 13:51:23 9,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's time to rejoice for PAL-only Toriyama fans. Sony has confirmed that DQ VIII will be released in Europe.

Linky ("Games > PS2")

No date, no further info, but at least an official confirmation.
  • Blerk Moderator 3 Jun 2005 11:17:44 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hurrah!

What's the betting that they rename it 'Final Fantasy: Dragon Quest' over here? :-)
  • itamae 3 Jun 2005 11:27:14 9,872 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "Dragonball: The Sayajin Adventures" would sell even more copies I'd think... and the average Dragonball fan wouldn't even notice that he's been framed.

Toriyama-kun, if you read this: What happened to Lunch, eh? I don't care about your Cells or Vegetas or Son-Gohans! Where is Lunch?!
  • Deleted user 8 October 2005 10:39:26
    Just saw a torrent with the DQ VIII US demo out. I've never played a DQ game but it seems interesting. Will return with first impressions when/if I get to play it.

Also saw on Gamespot's preview article that "there's a Japanese law that forbids the sale of Dragon Quest games on weekdays". Surely that's gotta be a joke? Or?? :)
  • Machiavel 8 Oct 2005 11:09:48 5,964 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably "prohibits the release date being on a weekday." It is insanely popular in Japan, apparently.

To be honest, wasn't impressed with the trailers released so far - world looks nice, but the arch enemy looked daft and I quickly tired (just from the demo) of watching identikit line up of enemies being dealt stat damage in less-than-stunning special attacks.

In the future, though, we'll know more ;)
  • Page

of 18 First / Last

Previous