Digital Foundry articles on USGamer? or maybe seperate discussion forums over there?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TPoppaPuff 27 Nov 2013 09:51:42 5 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hello,

I was wondering if there was ever any chance of Digital Foundry articles simply being posted over on USGamer or threads over there purely to discuss those articles. I only ask because Americans are treated like crap on these comments section. Basically anything that said gets automatically downvoted for being an American. And as soon as it's downvoted, you're post is essentially erased from public conscious because it gets grayed out with just 10 downvotes (which is what most people have it set to). It's crazy and really is disappointing. Anything that just says 'America is shit' gets upvoted 30+ times in about ten minutes. You would think votes would be related to the discussion of games, but half the time they're not. I know most USGamer articles get only a handful of comments at most, but if the DF articles were posted on there they're would be more hits. I don't think anybody would care if the ads for those articles were still the same as the DF Eurogamer ads. And truthfully, I would rather have a discussion with three or four other people on an article than have everything I say persecuted simply because of where I live. This place is extremely discouraging, which is a shame because the DF articles are my favorite read on the internet.

Anyways, just something to think about.

Edited by TPoppaPuff at 09:57:52 27-11-2013
  • riz23 27 Nov 2013 09:54:14 1,463 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A sensible request. Happy Thanksgiving!

You septic.

GT: oldskooldeano

• Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2013 09:57:41 11,895 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TPoppaPuff wrote:
    Hello,

I was wondering if there was ever any chance of Digital Foundry articles simply being posted over on USGamer or threads over there purely to discuss those articles. I only ask because Americans are treated like crap on these comments section. Basically anything that said gets automatically downvoted for being an American. And as soon as it's downvoted, you're post is essentially erased from public conscious because it gets grayed out. It's crazy and really is disappointing. Anything that just says 'America is shit' gets upvoted 30+ times in about ten minutes. You would think votes would be related to the discussion of games, but half the time they're not. This place is extremely discouraging, which is a shame because the DF articles are my favorite read on the internet.

Anyways, just something to think about.
    Try discussing in the forum rather than the comments section

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Mr-Brett 27 Nov 2013 10:09:42 12,894 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You highlight some good points.
    The comments section is a hive of scum and villainy. The down/up vote system is deeply flawed and largely just encourages populist backslapping.

Good luck getting EG to listen/do anything though, it took a decade to implement a search that works :)

I know it's not what you're after but you can comment in these forums where people at least are unlikely to give a crap where you live.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• craigy Staff 27 Nov 2013 10:13:56 7,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr-Brett if you have any good suggestions for a system that could replace it -- that is easy to comprehend and fixes your perceived problems with up/down voting -- I'm all ears!
  • Moot_Point 27 Nov 2013 10:18:18 4,611 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @craigy How about just removing it completely. It doesn't really stop people flaming each other.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• craigy Staff 27 Nov 2013 10:21:11 7,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would say more people find it useful than an annoyance -- and you can effectively disable it by setting your score threshold to the lowest setting.
  • Syrette 27 Nov 2013 10:21:45 44,216 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    @craigy How about just removing it completely. It doesn't really stop people flaming each other.
    Nothing is going to stop that, this just hides trolls and spam. It's a decent system abused by fanboys.

• Mr-Brett 27 Nov 2013 10:29:23 12,894 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fair point, I normally find it annoying when people whinge about something with nothing constructive to say and here I am doing it :)

Well to be honest I'm not sure it's an improvement over what was there before. Yeah you got trolls and assholes posting whatever to get a rise out of people and maybe some of them get hidden now by community vote. Is it worth it though when perfectly reasonable posts get hidden too because they don't conform to the popular opinion?

Maybe just remove the down vote, have a 'flag for moderation' button instead, if someone is getting a lot of flags then a mod can check it out when they get a chance and make a call. That way people feel like they're doing something about dicks but without the overtly negative red -X on posts and in theory there'd be less false positives (or you know, negatives).

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Page

of 1

Previous Next