Microsoft and Loyalty - Your Verdict?

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • EducatedFoetus 25 Nov 2013 22:14:15 6 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Ok. Let me start at the beginning.

I first got my Original Xbox a year or so after launch, circa 2002. I always wanted the PS2 and the Gamecube and it was my Dad who argued for the Xbox; being the omnipotent company MS has always been, he thought it was the best choice and had the best chance in offering a solid experience.

He was right.

I got my Xbox at Christmas and fell in love with it. Halo in particular, and a few years later Halo 2. Then came Xbox Live. Again, love blossomed. The Xbox felt well crafted and the experience of Xbox Live, sublime. Great games and an even greater service. I felt looked after.

I was endowed with a 360 years later. Again, the 360 was a solid experience. Xbox Live only got better and the games came thick: Gears, Halo 3, Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas 1+ 2, Modern Warfare, World At War (and only these 2 instalments in that franchise). I felt well catered for.

My first inkling of something changing within Microsoft came hidden within the DLC for The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I had bought, i think, all of the DLC for it. But first, my 360 RROD'd. Great... Replaced by MS.

I can't remember why, but I was unable to re-download the DLC. I called MS and they gave me a bunch of Xbox Live Points card codes to repurchase the DLC and only that DLC. It was an unorthodox, but kindly and well received gesture. Again, I felt looked after and even a little special at the kind treatment. That extra mile really does count and was certainly leaps and bounds above any customer service I had experienced previously.

However, imagine my displeasure when i was unable to use that DLC offline, at all. I had to sign into Xbox Live to use this content.

It didn't bother me that much. I had good broadband and would hardly ever take the 360 elsewhere. It just meant i'd have to take say my PS2 to my grandparents place instead. I felt a little disappointed though. This seemingly harsh policy did not tally with the image I had of Microsoft at all. It was ever so slightly unsettling.

Little has changed from then until now, other than my 360 RROD'ing again (classic Error 74), including the sign-in-to-xbox-live-to-use-DLC policy. See here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/downloadable-content/cant-play-downloaded-content

This 'unsettled feeling' has grown over the years leading to now, into distrust.

I want to use my stuff offline! The 360's poor reliability and the fact my DLC was effectively 'Online All The Time' was seemingly a precursor of things to come. Ironically, I forgive the 360's reliability, only due to the great games however.

And now... The Xbox One shit storm.

Faulty drives. DRM. Reversing policies. Inferior performance. Excuse after excuse. A 600 holding fee to get a replacement X1 console (Seriously?!?). A featureless launch console. More technical hitches with the 50hz/60hz screw up. Extortionate digital prices (Although not localised to the X1, given Microsoft's push for a Digital future, you'd think they'd want to at least make the pricing remotely attractive?).

Honestly however, I'm not surprised. It had felt incoming for a while now. I believe DRM will return someday.

What happened to the Microsoft I grew up with and adored?

My Verdict - Microsoft have changed for the worse. They have been disloyal and have lost my trust.

If there are spelling/grammatical mistakes, forgive me. I'll correct them later. I'm going to go and have a shower to relax and lament Microsoft in peace.

Edited by EducatedFoetus at 22:17:17 25-11-2013

Edited by EducatedFoetus at 22:17:49 25-11-2013
  • Gambit1977 25 Nov 2013 22:15:46 9,583 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sorry, but you were endowed with a solid experience :D
  • Deleted user 25 November 2013 22:16:50
    EducatedFoetus wrote:
    However, imagine my anger when i was unable to use that DLC offline, at all. I had to sign into Xbox Live to use this content.
    It must have been enormous anger. Sheer rage of the type seen only in the words of Milton.

It didn't bother me that much.
    Oh.
  • EducatedFoetus 25 Nov 2013 22:18:03 6 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    meme wrote:
    EducatedFoetus wrote:
    However, imagine my anger when i was unable to use that DLC offline, at all. I had to sign into Xbox Live to use this content.
    It must have been enormous anger. Sheer rage of the type seen only in the words of Milton.

It didn't bother me that much.
    Oh.
    Corrected ;)
  • Bremenacht 25 Nov 2013 22:21:48 17,778 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Before I read any of that:

lol
  • graysonavich 25 Nov 2013 22:22:08 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So you got the looks but have you got the touch
  • morriss 25 Nov 2013 22:23:50 70,929 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So you think you're Brad Pitt?
  • Gambit1977 25 Nov 2013 22:27:10 9,583 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That don't impress me much
  • Bremenacht 25 Nov 2013 22:30:01 17,778 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EducatedFoetus wrote:

My Verdict - Microsoft have changed for the worse. They have been disloyal and have lost my trust.
    The xbox brand is now mature. When a brand (or product) is mature, big companies sometimes try to squeeze them for everything they've got. It's called 'sweating your assets'. That seems to be the way Microsoft are treating XBOX at the moment.

Some suspect Microsoft are prepping XBOX for a floatation or sale, so generating a balance sheet with big revenues and profits would fit that idea, making XBOX and it's army of drones customers attractive to investors seeking big returns.

For Sony and Nintendo, new consoles are simply the beginning of a new business cycle.
  • Zizoo 25 Nov 2013 22:32:08 8,277 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just wanna play video games.
  • 8bitMofo 25 Nov 2013 22:32:58 429 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got an Xbox One for free, and its going to pay for my PS4.
  • Carlo 25 Nov 2013 22:33:13 17,996 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EducatedFoetus wrote:
    They were always there behind your rose-tinted fanboy glasses, being you know, a business... Making money off you.

Just. Like. Every. Business.

Want revenge? Vote with your wallet, tell all your friends how shit they are.

But don't whine about it, while allowing them to suckle off your wallet.

Edited by Carlo at 22:33:59 25-11-2013

PSN ID: Djini

• mcmothercruncher 25 Nov 2013 22:34:20 6,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He can be. I'm Brad Pitt.

And so is my wife.
  • the_dudefather 25 Nov 2013 22:34:37 9,280 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +++HAVE YOU RECITED THE CONSOLE LOYALTY PLEDGE TODAY CITIZEN?+++

+++FAILURE TO COMPLY IS PUNISHABLE BY DEATH.+++

Edited by the_dudefather at 22:34:50 25-11-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Moot_Point 25 Nov 2013 22:35:03 3,982 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• BeardedGamerUK 25 Nov 2013 22:42:26 1,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    EducatedFoetus wrote:
    Blah Blah Blah
    I don't necessarily agree. You could be right maybe. Then again the opposite could be true.
  • Dirtbox 25 Nov 2013 22:47:12 77,686 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I brand everyone that buys a console as a brainless fucking cunt.

"Oh, but you'll be missing out on some exclusive games!" they squeek. "I don't give a shit," I say. "I'll be able to emulate them, gratis, in a few years anyway."

Enjoy your pay to win single player, your indie games at five times the price, your exorbitant AAA prices and your fucking sofa. You're suckers, the lot of you.

That's my verdict.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Armoured_Bear 25 Nov 2013 22:50:05 10,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I brand everyone that buys a console as a brainless fucking cunt.

"Oh, but you'll be missing out on some exclusive games!" they squeek. "I don't give a shit," I say. "I'll be able to emulate them, gratis, in a few years anyway."

Enjoy your pay to win single player, your indie games at five times the price, your exorbitant AAA prices and your fucking sofa. You're suckers, the lot of you.

That's my verdict.
    The 4 millionth "consoles are shit" post from Dirtbox, how interesting...

How's your Uncharted 2 emulation going?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Dirtbox 25 Nov 2013 22:53:05 77,686 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got all the time in the world to wait for it, I'm not some sort of slave to marketing like you spastics.

Not that I want to play it, it looks shit.

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:53:44 25-11-2013

• graysonavich 25 Nov 2013 22:54:35 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You'd get banned from playing your single player games with crude language like that.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Nov 2013 22:55:19 10,570 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I've got all the time in the world to wait for it, I'm not some sort of slave to marketing like you spastics.

Tell us again that consoles are shit, it's utterly riveting.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Dirtbox 25 Nov 2013 22:55:34 77,686 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    While they're recording my facial ticks on the kinect for the NSA.

• Deleted user 25 November 2013 22:56:20
    It's as riveting as constantly posting about how the joy and wonder of My First Fisher Price Console made you feel like a child again, in lieu of one being near enough to leech the soul off.
  • Dirtbox 25 Nov 2013 22:56:46 77,686 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:

Tell us again that consoles are shit, it's utterly riveting.
    Not as shit as you. You who creeps people out at a glance of your photograph. I have a photo of you btw, and I pull it out to show people what a pedo looks like.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 25 Nov 2013 22:57:37 6,654 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    that's the smart position. Marketing and hype is powerful though
  • graysonavich 25 Nov 2013 22:57:52 7,320 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I bet Nick The Gun is reading this and posting too.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2013 22:58:09
    What on earth does a pedophile look like?
  • Dirtbox 25 Nov 2013 22:58:10 77,686 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And Stick Man.

• Dirtbox 25 Nov 2013 22:59:16 77,686 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    What on earth does a pedophile look like?
    Like a mongoloid Ian Beale.

• mrpon 25 Nov 2013 22:59:33 28,749 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The usual suspects.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous