Microtransactions In Full-Priced Games, WTF???

• Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous
  • costa_k 22 Nov 2013 02:19:37 260 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This unacceptable trend is growing out of proportion. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like every first party XBone game features that crap. So, when do we say that enough is enough? Consumer opinion matters, Microsoft recently made several U-turns, and EA stopped the online pass nonsense. So yes, it is absolutely in our hands to stop this, simply by not buying these games. IT IS NOT INEVITABLE. Buy them, and you can expect this practice to continue to more and more games.
  • Rodney 22 Nov 2013 04:08:10 1,895 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    they'll do it as long as doing so makes more money than not doing so.

Apart from some exclusives, there's not many reasons to buy an XBOXOne over a PS4 so I'm surprised they'd risk risk damaging the appeal of their first party games with FTP mechanics.
  • Gambit1977 22 Nov 2013 04:15:18 9,691 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're not FTP though, apart from Killer Instinct. They're full price products. At least Sony has experience with SOE titles.
  • Madder-Max 22 Nov 2013 04:37:33 11,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder how many players rockstar have calculated they need/want that will pay for in game cash, allowing for the inevitable fall in player numbers since they have been reducing payouts and rp?

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Rodney 22 Nov 2013 07:45:39 1,895 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think part of the problem is that revenue from microtransactions is quantifiable whereas loss of sales due to intrusive micro transactions is not. Publishes will never know with certainty how much a product would have sold had it not had micro transactions.

even when a game with microtransactions flops it can always be attributed to other factors.

I wonder how much it impacted sales of Dead Space 3
  • SomaticSense 22 Nov 2013 09:31:36 8,321 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DS3 sold a whole bunch less than the previous games didn't it? Along with the vocal dissent over the intrusive microtransactions, it surely isn't a huge stretch to assume that it played at least some part in the drop in sales.

The co-op was a little misguided in relation to the series' traditional strengths, but it's hard to really believe that co-op functionality wouldn't increase sales on the whole, even if it annoyed some hardcore fans. So the microtransactions could've had a significant effect.

We aren't EA execs though, so it's all just theory.

Edited by SomaticSense at 09:32:38 22-11-2013
  • Max_Powers 22 Nov 2013 10:22:11 1,098 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been an Xbox player (and Gold subscriber) for 9 years but I decided to opt out of the XBone mainly because of this: the implementation of micro-transactions in all full prize games.

The cynicism of it and constant real-life intrusion just destroys the escapism and air of fun games are for me. Especially combined with the whole Tvtvtv and app ecosystem.

So I'm doing something I would have never thought a year ago. I'm buying a Wii U this Christmas. Maybe even out of some sort of support for Nintendo.

Edited by Max_Powers at 10:22:44 22-11-2013
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2013 11:11:48 78,209 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It makes perfect sense to me. Buy a game then pay so you don't have to play it. Brilliant strategy in this age of games that are an endless chore to play.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• UncleLou Moderator 22 Nov 2013 11:21:20 35,557 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's really quite ridiculous. DLC for additional content is mostly fine, imo, but microtransactions which transfer the F2P pay2win model to full price games are a major step too far.

Sony are planning the same thing with GT6, btw.
  • Retroid Moderator 22 Nov 2013 11:23:34 44,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sony would make a fortune if they charged to remove QT events from Heavy Rain & Beyond: Two Souls.
  • Gambit1977 22 Nov 2013 11:24:03 9,691 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Retroid :D and just put them on netflix!
  • Rodney 22 Nov 2013 11:56:57 1,895 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its because of things like this that I totally don't trust console with an online only digital distribution based console.
  • ryohazuki1983 22 Nov 2013 11:59:28 735 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Microtransactions ruin the experience of a game, it just takes the skill and fun out of playing.

But its simple, as long as people buy them they will be included, these companies are buisnesses with the intention to make money and not out there to make people happy.
  • beastmaster 22 Nov 2013 12:03:35 11,418 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Capcom are the fucking worst with their fighting games. Granted it's mainly for costume packs but WTF!? Having said that, they made a significant loss recently so perhaps they'll come to the conclusion that it's just not worth it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• FanBoysSuck 22 Nov 2013 12:12:20 1,482 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm doing the vote with my wallet thing, I will simply not buy a full priced game that contains this rubbish. It ruins the whole escapism aspect of the hobby when you're getting pestered to spend money every ten minutes.

For the emperor!

• oceanmotion 22 Nov 2013 12:16:43 15,951 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They really suck and companies are being quite clever with how they make games now that in all likelihood they will get people to buy them because otherwise you don't play the game at all which is unlikely when it's a big franchise/good base game or you play with a handicap until it gets unbearable but by then you've already bought the game giving the publisher money and maybe even caved in and bought a few micro transactions to catch up or get better stuff. Publishers will rarely lose unless people on mass don't buy the game at all which isn't going to happen with Battlefield, Forza, GT etc. Whether it is avoidable without hampering game play remains to seen like the rise of DLC.

Edited by oceanmotion at 12:17:59 22-11-2013
  • sega 22 Nov 2013 12:21:39 866 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Microtransactions have no place in games because the "grind" is a limitation of the player, not the game. It's up to the player to start off poorly and get good. If an expert starts a game and has to grind as much as the beginner to get through then it's not a game.

It's the equivalent of a boxing match where a heavyweight professional is fighting a skinny amateur - only they have to knock each other out by throwing marshmallows at each other.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 12:21:56
    I'd seriously like to see EG and the industry at large come out publicly and say that they will be capping the review score of any non-F2P home console game with micro-transactions at 6/10 in the defence of customer rights. Then you'd see the suits make the hard decision of F2P or stay as we are.

I'd love to say we can vote with out wallets, but in reality the casual gaming audience that don't live online at EG, etc will just suck it up. So we need EG and the other gaming press to make the point for us.

I'd even go back and retrospectively dock marks from any 3month old game with micro transactions that got more than a 6/10 to drive home the point.
  • Bremenacht 22 Nov 2013 12:34:12 18,275 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EG already seems pretty hostile towards gougeware.
  • TarickStonefire 22 Nov 2013 13:13:18 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    They're not FTP though, apart from Killer Instinct. They're full price products. At least Sony has experience with SOE titles.
    He said "FTP mechanics" which is accurate.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 22 Nov 2013 13:32:20 3,107 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't really been paying attention to the launch titles of the new consoles as, well, same old but higher res, big deal, so I wasn't aware that *any* of the full-priced boxed games were packing micro transactions in.

I won't ever buy a game that does that, because no matter what bullshit Sony or MS feed us to pacify us, the second you introduce micro transactions, you also introduce an element of screwing the player over so that they'll consider coughing up for more of whatever resource you decide to arbitrarily limit. Doesn't matter if you don't intend to do that, if you claim you're only offering the transactions because some people aren't very good at the game and will pay to progress: the gameplay at that point has been compromised.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• jabberwoky 24 Nov 2013 18:47:11 522 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its outrageous. Way out of order. Extremely uncool. Something should be done.

Could someone please do something about it.
  • RightBean 24 Nov 2013 18:49:16 648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think its mad they charged 50 for a game, and if they had their way you would not be able to resell it, and on top of that they build in microtransactions. It's insane
  • Triggerhappytel 24 Nov 2013 18:58:33 2,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I think part of the problem is that revenue from microtransactions is quantifiable whereas loss of sales due to intrusive micro transactions is not. Publishes will never know with certainty how much a product would have sold had it not had micro transactions.

even when a game with microtransactions flops it can always be attributed to other factors.

I wonder how much it impacted sales of Dead Space 3
    This is a very good point, and it's why if any of us refuse to buy a game that we otherwise would have because of micro-transactions, we should try to rally some peers and let the publishers know why. I'm sure if sales of Forza 5 are only at two-thirds their projections and they've got a hundred thousand tweets from people saying they're not buying it because of the micro-transactions, they'd soon sit up and take notice.
  • FuzzyDuck 24 Nov 2013 19:00:51 4,136 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    I'd seriously like to see EG and the industry at large come out publicly and say that they will be capping the review score of any non-F2P home console game with micro-transactions at 6/10 in the defence of customer rights. Then you'd see the suits make the hard decision of F2P or stay as we are.
    I actually agree with this. It was the voice of potential consumers via social media and the likes of EG that made Microsoft reverse their DRM policies, so we need to be heard about this scam too.
  • Syrette 24 Nov 2013 19:01:12 43,499 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just ignore them.

• RightBean 24 Nov 2013 19:03:27 648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ignoring them only encourages them to integrate them further until they become like having road tax on Forza or literally paying for petrol
  • Deleted user 24 November 2013 19:04:17
    I'll never buy them. Utter bullshit to put them into a full priced title.
  • RedSparrows 24 Nov 2013 19:17:06 22,731 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    OH MY GOD THIS ACTUALLY QUITE OLD DEVELOPMENT HAS CONTINUED OH MY GOD
  • FuzzyDuck 24 Nov 2013 19:17:44 4,136 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Just ignore them.
    Ignoring a problem does not make it go away.

Fuck it, made a twitter account and tweeted Yoshida to say I'm boycotting GT6 and any other retail games that has them.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Previous