Bravely Default Page 7

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• telboy007 29 Jan 2014 14:28:46 479 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well I've got all the rewards, so the demo eventually did its job!

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• CharlieStCloud 30 Jan 2014 15:00:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is both the best and worse 'traditional' RPG game I have ever played.

I love the battle mechanics (auto-battle is a Godsend) and the option to reduce, increase or turn off the random encounters feels like a revolution in the RPG genre, truly.

The music is wonderful, especially the world map overtune, and the painting-like environmental visuals makes going to a new town a joy to behold. The 3D is marvellous too.

Anyway, I begin chapter two, where this flower festival thingummy takes place, in Florem. Maybe it is just me, but I felt really, really uneasily embarrassed about the entire chapter. It's the first game ever to make me feel like a paedo.

Just what on Earth are the developers playing at with the genuinely creepy kiddie angle throughout the event that takes place in Florem? I soon found myself skipping every single cutscene or conversation box, purely because the subject matter(s) on show were really ghoulish and disturbing.

Bafflingly creepy stuff.

Onwards to chapter five.

Oh, okay.

You want me to go back to EVERY SINGLE PLACE that I have already visited and defeat EVERY SINGLE BOSS I have already downed once?

Yeah, you see, I was already on my way to cross the 50 hours mark and have been playing Bravely Default since Christmas and now I am asked to essentially replay the first 50 hours or so all over again?

Nah. Fuck this.

Did all of those who reviewed this game ever actually reached the end? To dish out 8 and 9's out of ten and saying the game harks back to the Final Fantasy games of yore is preposterous.

For those of you who have completed this, is it worth me ploughing onwards, or is it the same old crap I have already done stretched out as thinly as possible to the very end?

To think I was in for a genuine classic during the first five hours...

: (
  • YenRug 30 Jan 2014 15:37:47 2,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Anyway, I begin chapter two, where this flower festival thingummy takes place, in Florem. Maybe it is just me, but I felt really, really uneasily embarrassed about the entire chapter. It's the first game ever to make me feel like a paedo.

Just what on Earth are the developers playing at with the genuinely creepy kiddie angle throughout the event that takes place in Florem? I soon found myself skipping every single cutscene or conversation box, purely because the subject matter(s) on show were really ghoulish and disturbing.

Bafflingly creepy stuff.
    Just be glad you're not playing the Japanese version, where the characters wore skimpier costumes and they were all aged 3 years younger...
  • Daryoon 31 Jan 2014 18:45:23 4,629 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Onwards to chapter five.

Oh, okay.

You want me to go back to EVERY SINGLE PLACE that I have already visited and defeat EVERY SINGLE BOSS I have already downed once?
    Just wait until you get to chapter six!!!

Yeah, basically, after you go through chapter five, time resets again and you have to do it all over again for chapter six. And again for chapter seven. And again for chapter eight. Yes, really.

Edited by Daryoon at 18:48:06 31-01-2014
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Feb 2014 20:28:02 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Daryoon

I read your spoiler.

... tell me this isn't true please.

If so, is it worth me enduring this awful part(s) over and over again? Is the ending worthwhile?

God, I actually feel annoyed just thinking about what is awaiting me when I pick my 3DS up again.

: (
  • Wavey 3 Feb 2014 22:02:42 377 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've read many articles stating that its actually not that bad, and if you rush it its only an hour or so at most. Apparently the side quests are different mind, and offer different insights into characters. Just what I read though.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2014 22:47:44
    Demos usually don't make or break my opinion, but reading all this makes me think I was right when I disliked this demo. There was something wrong with it.
    Not to spoil someone's experience who finds the game enjoyable, but I couldn't see why it was being compared to classic FF games. To me it only resembled an old DS abomination called The 4 Heroes Of Light or something...
  • Ror1984 3 Feb 2014 22:54:57 3,372 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Cosmopolitan It started off as a sequel to 4 Heroes.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Daryoon 4 Feb 2014 15:23:17 4,629 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want to get the final job, it'll take you more than a few hours, and the side quests? Don't believe anything Desttuctoid say on the issue. The side quests (including the last job based one) effectively involve fighting all the old non-crystal bosses again. Nothing new, except maybe a couple of lines of dialogue.

There's also a bonus dungeon that opens up in chapter eight. Guess what? All it consists of is rooms from previous dungeons recycled!

As is the ending worth all the backtracking? It depends. There's a single twist that's kinda cool, but it ultimately follows the classic Unsealed God of Evil pattern.

Maybe spend thirty minutes/an hour grinding around the water palace (the little plant things give the best drops in the game), then grit your teeth and blow through the four cycles as fast as you can. It helps if you develop a single, broken party. I had two ninjas boosted by mages, doing 8x9999 damage each turn, and even then it took a few hours to plough through everything...

Edited by Daryoon at 15:27:41 04-02-2014
  • redcrayon 4 Feb 2014 16:50:36 4,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You don't have to redo any of the job side quests at all, but I'm on chapter eight, and have just spent the last couple of hours tearing through the crystal bosses four times in a row in chapters five to eight. It's quite frustrating having to awaken the crystals again.

Major, major spoiler, don't read unless you want a major twist spoiled
    I don't understand why the game tells you to have the courage to disobey, when if you ignore airy and break a crystal, you jump to a boss fight you have zero chance of winning at that point, get the non-final ending and miss out on the last dungeon. I would have had the cycle repeat until the player ignores the warning, more elegant, actually rewarding and less repetitive for the smart and the brave. Perhaps it's a reference to being to fight the final boss in Chrono trigger whenever you like too.

I did the dragons/vampire sidequest to break it up a bit in chapter six- that was worth doing for the plot info in the castle, loads of xp and also you have the key to open the blue chests at that point.

It's really wierd- I love the job system and battles, but the meat of the game is pretty much over at the end of chapter four, with only two or three new dungeons and bosses after that.

A couple of things I picked up on for party tailoring if anyone wants some hints-
    Level your white mage up in black magic too, for the 'group cast' sub ability. You can use it to group-cast 'dispel', which also dispels the dragon ability of inflicting status-weak on everyone.

Level people up as salve-makers for auto-Phoenix, which means you chuck a Phoenix down at a KO ally automatically at the end of your turn. Having a couple of people with it and a bag load of PDs makes your team quite stubborn.

For grinding, I had a Black mage/Arcanist using Aspir-all(regain magic points, needs group-cast)) poison-all (needs group cast), then exterminate twice. Pretty much insta-wins all battles around the flora city. I also spent 500,000 gold on a growth egg once I had levelled up the item shops, that gives up gold for double xp and job points if one person has it equipped. I jumped about 12 levels in a 45 minute train journey with that.

I'm heading into the final dungeon tonight, with a team of
    Salve maker (doubles healing)/ white mage. Group-casts protect, shell and dispel as well as healing duties.
    Arcanist/ black mage. Main magical damage.
    Templar/white mage (desperation is a great, cheap special move that adds armour to attack, and I love 'rampart' as well for bosses.)
    Templar/freelancer (scan and mimic are both awesome)

I have to say, auto-battle and being able to change the encounter rate takes a lot of the tedium out of the later half of the game- I turned encounters off for my epic crystal run. I'm glad they didn't shy away from updating that side of classic JRPGs, Etrian odyssey does auto-battle well for the same reason.

Edited by redcrayon at 17:06:11 04-02-2014

Edited by redcrayon at 19:05:54 04-02-2014
  • Daryoon 4 Feb 2014 18:15:10 4,629 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    An easier way to grind is to have thief/ninja with chemist skills brave 2-3 times, then toss a couple of elemental attacks at the enemy in the first turn. With the chemist's item-boosting skill, you can wipe out pretty much everything, and the money you earn is more than enough to stock up on the required ingredients.

Then, once you get the Sage job, grind it until you get the skill that automatically wins the battle against enemies twenty levels lower than you are. Takes bugger all time to hit lv99, at which point you'll automatically win every single random encounter in the game.
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Feb 2014 18:38:00 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    *deep breath*

... think I will try and rush through to the end, pending any ridiculous difficulty spikes.

I am on my way to the fourth crystal on chapter five and my entire party is level 60. Is this a high enough level for all my characters, or am I expected to get my arse kicked at some point during the next couple of woefully repetitive chapters?

Oh, and thank you Daryoon for keeping me in the know without spoiling the upcoming chapters!

: )

Heh, my party only consists of a monk, a knight and a black and white Mage ... not exactly very experimentive, but they do the job quite swiftly.
  • redcrayon 4 Feb 2014 19:06:58 4,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ach, sorry about that Charlie, I've added a couple more spoilers to spare anyone else. Was just feeling a bit narked when I started writing that and didn't think :-(
  • YenRug 4 Feb 2014 19:49:54 2,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Unboxing the US Collector's Edition, nowhere near as good, but probably a whole lot cheaper:

• redcrayon 5 Feb 2014 00:51:00 4,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phew, last boss down. What a scrap. Well worth persevering for.

All in all one other thing that sticks in mind: I really liked the cast. Edea, Tiz, Ringabel and Agnes really grew on me over the course of the game, particularly Edea's acerbic wit. Such a change to have four characters who have all kinds of trouble on their minds, but are at heart brave, decent and capable souls. So refreshing after various other JRPG parties full of comedy characters and children.
  • FatSternKikwi 5 Feb 2014 01:37:36 561 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So is this good? I'm hearing some seriously mixed opinions here.
  • Ror1984 5 Feb 2014 01:44:23 3,372 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    Unboxing the US Collector's Edition, nowhere near as good, but probably a whole lot cheaper:

They really got screwed with that artbook! The European one is glorious!

Also, after watching that I decided to check the back of my box and it says "Basic reading ability is needed to fully enjoy this software" :D I don't know how I've never noticed that.

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• redcrayon 5 Feb 2014 06:56:06 4,558 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @FatSternKikwi
    It's good, and the meat of the game is the battle and jobs system that you'll spend 90% of the time dealing with. Adjustable encounter rate, difficulty and auto-battle make that side of it fun too.

What it's not is the be-all and end-all of JRPGs that a lot of the press have made it out to be. It's a long game, easily 40 hours+, and I'd be surprised if many of the reviewers played the second half! whichis distinctly weaker than the first.
  • YenRug 5 Feb 2014 11:33:05 2,199 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone figured out if there's a quick way to bypass the doling out of PG, XP and JP without missing out on it? They've got an option to disable those things in the config menu, but it literally disables receiving that reward; okay, that makes sense if you get to a point where you've maxed out the job and character levels, but how bloody long is it going to take you to get there? In the meantime, it's A, A, A, A, A to step through each of them.
  • telboy007 19 Feb 2014 10:35:53 479 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I've just hit chapter 5, was really enjoying the game. Now I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. I tried some random boss fights and quickly realised they've cranked up the levels on everything. Nice. I thought Warframe was the grind of win, now I think its this game.

Still, I have a lot of jobs to level up and ability combinations to work out so its not all bad.

I'm now expecting the next chapter to be the exact same thing over and over again until they eventually figure out whats going on. That would be awesome...

• Dizzy 19 Feb 2014 10:48:15 2,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh... I was going to buy this for my snowboard holiday in two weeks. Now you guys are scaring me away... maybe Etrian is better then.

Edited by Dizzy at 10:48:43 19-02-2014
  • DFawkes 19 Feb 2014 10:55:37 22,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hit chapter 5 and enjoyed it in regards to story. Will tag the rest as I'm not sure how far others are:

I really enjoy revisiting the optional missions and seeing how the characters differ. There were already hints earlier in the game it'd come to this so I wasn't really surprised, and I quite like seeing how the characters differ. Some act different, some are the same but react in other ways because you have evidence and foreknowledge of certain things.

It is a risky move though. I can totally understand it putting people off as even if you enjoy the story like I have, it does mean they sacrificed the gameplay a bit. Sure, it's not really that bad as you can get away with ignoring anything but the 4 crystals, but even that will really dampen some peoples spirits and kill the game for them.

I really love the combat still. Levelling up the jobs is relatively quick now, and I've had encounter rate up at double most of the game so I've levelled up enough to let me skip random battles when I do get fed up towards the end of dungeons. Still got to unlock a couple of jobs, like the one that requires all the keystones. I'll have to level up for that one. There's also another you get later on.

Fantastic game, I'd definitely recommend it. One of the best casts of well written, entertaining characters I've seen in an RPG, a flexible and enjoyable combat system, and an engaging story.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• FabricatedLunatic 20 Feb 2014 08:45:13 13,013 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm only on chapter 3 and really struggling to get through this. The Brave/Default mechanic means enemies have so much HP (because you have up to 16 attacks on your first turn), and they hit so hard and inflict so many goddamn status effects all the time, that I stick a team of strong physical attackers with two-handed weapons + one mage and try to get the battle over with in the first turn. Changing jobs and experimenting is a no-no because I do piss all damage.

This means I have to grind jobs outside of whatever dungeon I'm slogging through for the story. And that's just as tedious. Maybe that's the point, though, and this sort of game just isn't for me any more.

Typing of the story, it's weak. I don't care about the sodding crystals. Edea and Ringabel are the only decent characters, and only then when they're doing their comedy double act. The dungeons look more or less the same, and the lack of building interiors makes the environments feel small and restrictive. Boss battles and music are the only reason I'm still playing.
  • telboy007 20 Feb 2014 11:12:27 479 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm getting over my Chapter 5 dismay, probably because I've started beating everything I come up against and as previously said the slight changes in everything do keep it mildly interesting.

• karlo87 22 Feb 2014 03:41:00 1,524 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've found myself leaving my 3DS on stand by to work on my town, no one around here streetpasses so i've had to make do with the folk you get from internet updates.
    Near the end of chapter 2 now I've properly got into it and no other games to distract me, messing around with the jobs and mixing it up is rather fun.

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Iím wankered on Rohypnol.

• DFawkes 24 Feb 2014 15:01:19 22,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does the subtitle change on every chapter after 5? I don't remember it saying Where the Fairy Flies before. I only just noticed the last few times I#ve loaded the game. Was it Flying Fairy in earlier chapters?

I only really notices and understood the subtitle when (plot spoiler) the letters faded so it says Airy Lies instead. I assume Flying Fairy was Lying Airy if it has changed from earlier chapters.

Still loving the game. Just about to hit Chapter 7 tonight, with no more levelling to bother with as I finished that before going back for all the blue chests. Not sure if anyone else is still playing, but should anyone want to add me on 3DS to use Ablink and access all my levelled up jobs, let me know via PM.

Edited by DFawkes at 15:02:07 24-02-2014

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• telboy007 25 Feb 2014 11:15:12 479 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just started chapter 6, finally got the red mage asterix before completing chapter 5. The chapter title was very different, although can't remember it now.

• DFawkes 25 Feb 2014 11:29:23 22,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a good time to get it, I'm fairly sure beating him in chapter 6 unlocks a costume for Edea. You'll be able to get the Conjurer asterisk in that Chapter too, which is well worth it as one that jobs abilities makes levelling insanely easy. I found him a bit challenging, and I think he might be more difficult if you leave it until later so I'd recommend getting that one ASAP. The quest for it involves a good few bosses though,so maybe you'd prefer to leave it.

The chapter 7 bosses can go screw themselves though. I know they're optional, but I'm not going to be beaten by the likes of them!

• telboy007 25 Feb 2014 12:59:17 479 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes... the Bravo Bikini. :rolleyes:

Is the conjurer the vampire dood?

Edited by telboy007 at 13:00:00 25-02-2014

• DFawkes 25 Feb 2014 13:08:55 22,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Conjurer job is from someone else, the Vampire dude is, rather unsurprisingly once you know it's one of the jobs, a Vampire ;) I didn't even realise Vampire was a job until I fought him, but you get lots of story from him so he's worth taking on, and that job has some useful skills.

Some great skills hiding in some of the jobs, so it's well worth checking if you have a specific build planned. It's an insanely flexible system that really spoils you for choice, no matter how you prefer to play. I generally have 3 physical attack damage dealers (1 with Spell Fencer to take advantage of weaknesses) and a healer, yet even with such a basic set-up there are plenty of options.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:09:29 25-02-2014

• Page

of 9 First / Last