Bravely Default Page 6

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• FuzzyZealot 14 Dec 2013 13:19:07 172 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Chapter 2 cleared \o/ but the first main quest 'boss' (It's in quotes for a reason) in Chapter 3 is proving to be a pain in the arse.

Edit:: Hmmm. Finally got past it and in to Chapter 3 proper. It's an interesting one. Personally, I think it's something of a difficulty spike and may take a bit of getting used to - that may just be me, my chars are just coming up on 40-ish now.

Does anyone know what the job cap is? I've gotten all mine on to level 11 - with a stupid JP requirement for advancing) and I thought that it'd be 10 and then change profession. I am wondering if you don't gimp yourself a fair bit just sticking to one job.

Edited by FuzzyZealot at 18:28:29 14-12-2013
  • YenRug 15 Dec 2013 01:08:31 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FuzzyZealot Pretty sure I read jobs top out at level 14.
  • YenRug 16 Dec 2013 11:17:54 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How's everyone doing on rebuilding Norende?

I've got all areas unlocked and all buildings up, with the following levels built up:

1 x Lv 7

3 x Lv 8

3 x Lv 9

4 x Lv 10
  • pogomeister 16 Dec 2013 11:19:58 171 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Stil to buy this!i had a brain malfunction in game wen I had this on my hand but decided to put it back down! Fuck nos what I was thinking!
  • DFawkes 16 Dec 2013 13:19:56 22,757 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also really want this, but having seen Ror1984's excellent gallery with all the pictures of the shiny things, I now can't accept anything but the shiny edition. It's on "Back Order", which from previous experience means either "we might get this in again if you're lucky, sunshine", or "yeah, this ain't happening. Ever. But have some false hope!".

I still can't help playing the demo, despite the fact there's nothing left to do. It really is far more excellent than I had hoped, and I'm glad owners of the game are enjoying it :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• YenRug 16 Dec 2013 13:25:55 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DFawkes I would say, get the game from somewhere like GAME, then hope the collector's edition comes back into stock; when you get the new copy of the game return it sealed to the place you got the standalone from and get your money back.

As it stands, I believe the Deluxe was a limited edition, NoE's store listed it briefly, but ShopTo had the only stock that was available.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2013 13:36:17
    Will pick this up a couple days after xmas, should be receiving some money of some sorts, so will treat my self to this.

The Uk chart is horrible! need to do my bit :)
  • Murbal 16 Dec 2013 13:43:38 22,043 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I plan to start this sometime over Christmas. Feel like I'm missing out on the fun!
  • DFawkes 16 Dec 2013 13:45:23 22,757 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    As it stands, I believe the Deluxe was a limited edition, NoE's store listed it briefly, but ShopTo had the only stock that was available.
    But it says Back Order. Back Order! That glimmer of hope that it might come back in stock! I have faith. I shall wait, like the long faces of Easter Island, eternally vigilant until the ends of time. Or more likely next week.

No point in getting a standard one yet either, as it'd get unsealed after 3 (maybe 4) seconds ;)

I do have a question though - is the levelling as fast as the demo? I assumed the demo was accelerated a bit so you got so see more of the abilities and things unlock.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:46:28 16-12-2013

• YenRug 16 Dec 2013 13:53:51 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DFawkes Wasn't suggesting you don't use the standard edition; was suggesting you "return" the sealed copy, out of the Deluxe edition if you manage to get it, instead of it. GAME give you 30 days, don't they? ;)

The character level is probably the same as the demo version, but job levelling is a whole lot slower; job level 1 -> 2 took 70 JP, whilst in the demo it was 70 JP to go 3 -> 4, my party are currently at level 31 character level whilst their jobs are at level 9 (Monk, White Mage, Black Mage, Knight).

Current list of jobs available to me:

Freelancer (obviously)
    Monk
    White Mage
    Black Mage
    Knight
    Thief
    Merchant
    Spell Fencer
    Time Mage
    Ranger
    Summoner
    Valkyrie
  • DFawkes 16 Dec 2013 14:22:38 22,757 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YenRug wrote:
    @DFawkes Wasn't suggesting you don't use the standard edition; was suggesting you "return" the sealed copy, out of the Deluxe edition if you manage to get it, instead of it. GAME give you 30 days, don't they? ;)
    Oh yeah, I see now! Sorry, my brain is slow this morning. Good idea, I might try it out if I get impatient :)

Thanks for the info on levelling. I had a feeling jobs must level slower, as you could do a whole level in one boss battle on the demo. Nice to see there are many, many more classes than the demo too, so it'll be great to see them and play around.

• FuzzyZealot 16 Dec 2013 15:30:43 172 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @DFawkes It's definitely worth taking the plunge. It's probably my favourite JRPG since Chrono-Cross and only a wee smidge off Final Fantasy VII/IX levels of awesomeness.

RE: the jobs, I'm currently grinding out the final (hopefully) levels of my monk/knight/black and white mages - I've not changed classes and am midway through chapter four (~38 hours). Think it's 5000JP for this last level.

Jobs available to me so far are:

Freelancer
    Monk
    White Mage
    Black Mage
    Knight
    Thief
    Merchant
    Spell Fencer
    Time Mage
    Ranger
    Summoner
    Valkyrie
    Red Mage
    Salve-Maker
    Performer
    Pirate
    Ninja
    Swordmaster
    Arcanist
    Spiritmaster
    Templar

Alternis as a Dark Knight is a given and the one I have to chase down now has put a stupidly big grin on my face. No idea what the last one is going to be though.

Edited by FuzzyZealot at 15:34:24 16-12-2013

EDIT:: I also assume these don't include any new jobs included in the expansion - which is what I'm guessing the two '?????' boxes are for on the start menu - NG+ and the expansion.

Edited by FuzzyZealot at 15:36:44 16-12-2013
  • Daryoon 16 Dec 2013 18:19:46 4,604 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Last two jobs were Evoker and Vampire, at least according to the Japanese list.

I'm currently in the third chapter, but my initial impressions have soured a little. It's adhering too closely to the FF1/FF3 template of "Find new land/town plagued by Evil Empire, defeat Evil Minions and save the crystal; repeat". Square had started to play with that by the time of FF4, and by FF5 we had the reveal that, once you'd gone through the generic save-the-crystals template and acquired all the jobs, there was a whole other world to explore (and then a third).

Saying that, there are apparently eight or more chapters, so I'm hoping the plot twists after the earth crystal - but it just doesn't feel like it will (I'm already 20 hours in, usually the halfway mark, and a lot of item/bestiary categories are already 50% complete...)
  • FuzzyZealot 17 Dec 2013 13:55:07 172 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Saying that, there are apparently eight or more chapters, so I'm hoping the plot twists after the earth crystal - but it just doesn't feel like it will (I'm already 20 hours in, usually the halfway mark, and a lot of item/bestiary categories are already 50% complete...)
    You're very wrong - it's gone fucking mental.

Edited by FuzzyZealot at 13:55:50 17-12-2013
  • Daryoon 17 Dec 2013 14:04:42 4,604 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's good. I'll just put it down to poor pacing for the first few chapters then XD
  • YenRug 18 Dec 2013 23:47:56 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Couple of hours to go and I'll have maxed out all of the buildings in Norende, wondering if that rewards you with anything...
  • pogomeister 19 Dec 2013 08:35:23 171 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ordered this from amazon last night as my local game sold out by the time I went to get it!
  • FuzzyZealot 19 Dec 2013 11:13:18 172 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @YenRug No idea but I'd be curious to find out! I've still got a day or two before I get Norende finished.

Having barely started Ch.4, I've been busily grinding out levels and JPs which is now surprisingly easy on normal mob packs.
  • YenRug 19 Dec 2013 11:37:26 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No rewards for hitting Lv 11 with all of Norende's buildings. There are "bonus" items for doing that last level upgrade, but they've not shown up in my inventory nor to buy in the Adventurer "store" inventory, so no idea how you get hold of those.
  • Daryoon 19 Dec 2013 20:28:16 4,604 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @YenRug
    They have their own category in the save-bloke's shop, below the accessories. They appear to be alternative costumes (and SE aren't charging us real money for them?!). Good luck affording them, however.
  • YenRug 19 Dec 2013 20:38:47 2,104 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, so a case of just not scrolled down far enough.

After completing them, had a "party chat" where they went on about how long it took, and I'm sat there thinking, "But I'm still pretty much at the start of Chapter 3???"
  • karlo87 3 Jan 2014 00:12:14 1,368 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got beat by one of the early bosses, pyromancer dude.
    Not sure how far off I was, but in the end he pretty much picked off each character with one shot, most of which were poisoned already.

Makes me think, these kind of JRPGs were my childhood and I do adore them, but I'm not sure I have the time for the grind these days. That and I don't really go anywhere that would have other 3DS users with the streetpass thing on.

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and Im wankered on Rohypnol.

• Daryoon 3 Jan 2014 02:28:52 4,604 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never found much need to grind, and when I did, it was in ten minutes bursts in a very specific area (the lands outside the water crystal) because of the ludicrous amounts of experience you get there. If anything, it's way to quick/easy to overlevel!

And you don't need to streetpass. Select the update option in the save menu once a day, and leave the system on overnight for town rebuilding. You can literally build the whole thing up in a couple of days without ever playing the game (aside to reassign workers when required). And it's worth it, because the items you get are terribly overpowered.

Saying that, I'm tempted to advise everyone to abandon ship once they reach chapter 5, since the rest of the game is literally repeating the same dungeons/bosses over and over again, Groundhog Day style. To say Square dropped the ball would be an understatement...
  • Rens11 8 Jan 2014 05:09:43 1,391 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got it for Christmas but only just started playing as I wanted to complete chrpno trigger first so only played about 3 hours so far but really enjoying it. Reminds me a lot or the PS1 final fantasy games superb soundtrack as well I wish square would make FFXVI for 3DS and vita

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Burto83 15 Jan 2014 15:04:44 79 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finished this last night i enjoyed it a lot but man are the last few chapters a test of patience.
  • Murbal 15 Jan 2014 15:32:52 22,043 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Test of patience? Doesn't sound good.
  • Daryoon 17 Jan 2014 03:56:22 4,604 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, my initial suspicions it was sticking to close to NES territory turned out frightfully accurate. The post-Earth Crystal stuff is horrendous.

I suspect the US release will see another swathe of praise comparing it to PS1 games, though. Truth is, it's more like (SNES) Mystic Quest, but painfully padded out. The only thing 'PS1' about it are the graphics (just don't expect much in the way of dynamic cutscenes - the trailer for the sequel had more action in it than the entire game!).
  • Deleted user 17 January 2014 09:07:19
    I did not like the demo. That is all.
  • telboy007 29 Jan 2014 13:08:53 429 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I gave the demo another go over the weekend and it finally clicked.

I want this game!

Unlocked the achievement Exploring Uranus

• DFawkes 29 Jan 2014 13:35:00 22,757 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not enjoying it at first seems to be a common thing. First time I played it I hated it. Second time I got killed in one shot. Third time, however, is when it clicked. It really is an excellent demo that gives you a good look into many of the games systems, without spoiling the full game.

• Page

of 9 First / Last