Ad Issues

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 5 Nov 2013 16:49:04 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hey All!

Thought id drop a message in regards to ad issues... I know this is often a case of my buddy Craigo responding to these but thought id extend an invitation for you to drop any feedback/issues/suggestions directly to me.

Everything will be taken into consideration but this is more for remnant advertising that may be causing an issue (e.g the Clash of Clans mobile banner that opened up the app store without warning).

It is my job to get these blocked for you! my priority is that you have a comfortable browsing experience, it may be impossible to run without advertising but that doesn't mean we can't remove problem ads.

All feedback is appreciated! I do my very best to maintain the networks ads swiftly and appropriately so in short I Am Here To Help .

Many Thanks
    Ben
  • Jeepers 5 Nov 2013 16:55:39 13,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like a cup of tea, if there's one going?
  • EMarkM 5 Nov 2013 16:57:20 3,174 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you could set out fixed spaces upon page load to prevent all that jumping about it would be good.

Plus, free the portable view one!

Thanks for raising this thread :)
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Nov 2013 17:02:07 14,770 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can only view and enjoy the site when set to "mobile" even when not on my phone. No matter what browser if I have it on HD it runs awfully, almost totally broken, I think it has a lot to do with the ads or it is an amazingly coincidence of not

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• robthehermit 5 Nov 2013 17:12:14 4,087 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    If you could set out fixed spaces upon page load to prevent all that jumping about it would be good.

This. Fed up of going into the wrong thread or looking at peoples profiles because the text jumps about when the ads have finished loading.

Edited by robthehermit at 17:12:40 05-11-2013

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Shikasama 5 Nov 2013 17:13:40 6,868 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Surely your top priority is to sell advertising space? Like, if you stopped doing that because you were blocking ads for us you'd probably be sacked or something.
  • TheSaint 5 Nov 2013 17:15:35 14,461 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:

I think this was fixed a week or two back on the mobile view.

Edited by TheSaint at 17:17:13 05-11-2013
  • EMarkM 5 Nov 2013 17:21:16 3,174 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheSaint That's all I use, and, no. :(
  • mrpon 5 Nov 2013 17:33:21 28,983 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bless you.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• drip 5 Nov 2013 20:54:27 4,104 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Visiting EG on my Android phone. I visit the main site, five seconds until Google Play starts with Candy Crush (or something the like). Back. I tap on an article, five seconds until Google Play opens with Candy Crush. Back. I click on comments, fice seconds until Google Play opens with Candy Crush. Back. I post a comment, five seconds until Google Play opens Candy Crush.

I can see that EG needs ads, but this is horribly annoying. Annoying to the point that I don't want to use EG's mobile site anymore. Really, it's dreadful. Stop that.
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 09:40:59 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    I'd like a cup of tea, if there's one going?
    I've always got time for a brew!
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 09:44:59 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:

The jumping issue is something we have recognised yet require the dev time to get corrected. Our tech team have prioritized this and as soon as they can will be correcting this for you.

Will let my superiors know about the portable view.. however this has only recently been deactivated. We should be optimizing the ads to display static versions for these browsers hopefully maintaining low CPU usage.

Always happy to talk about these things :)
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 10:11:05 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I can only view and enjoy the site when set to "mobile" even when not on my phone. No matter what browser if I have it on HD it runs awfully, almost totally broken, I think it has a lot to do with the ads or it is an amazingly coincidence of not
    Always let me know the following if you encounter these issues again:

- The ad in question
    - What you are browsing on
    - Browser version
    - What territory are you browsing from

Would love to get you back on the HD version of the site.
  • Salaman 6 Nov 2013 10:16:07 19,127 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ad trafficker. Now there's a cool title. It makes it sound as if you're smuggling ads into the country by stuffing them down your pants to go through airport security at great risk to your personal liberty.
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 10:16:41 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Surely your top priority is to sell advertising space? Like, if you stopped doing that because you were blocking ads for us you'd probably be sacked or something.
    My top priority is making sure browsing capability remains unaffected by the ads we have running in the background.

I believe the team in charge of selling the ads do a great job of finding video game related ads which as a gamer my self I find pretty bearable. Not to mention I got your guys back when it comes to ads that don't perform as they should which will get refused and resupplied by the advertiser.

The ads which can get blocked like the Clash of Clans ones won't be prioritised over our community.
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 10:18:10 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Visiting EG on my Android phone. I visit the main site, five seconds until Google Play starts with Candy Crush (or something the like). Back. I tap on an article, five seconds until Google Play opens with Candy Crush. Back. I click on comments, fice seconds until Google Play opens with Candy Crush. Back. I post a comment, five seconds until Google Play opens Candy Crush.

I can see that EG needs ads, but this is horribly annoying. Annoying to the point that I don't want to use EG's mobile site anymore. Really, it's dreadful. Stop that.
    These are the type of ads I will remove for you.. because it is clearly disrupting your enjoyment of the site.
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 10:19:44 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Ad trafficker. Now there's a cool title. It makes it sound as if you're smuggling ads into the country by stuffing them down your pants to go through airport security at great risk to your personal liberty.
    @Salaman

Its a risk I am willing to take to bring you the highest grade ads available.

Edited by bennyw01 at 10:31:27 06-11-2013
  • nickthegun 6 Nov 2013 10:20:56 60,106 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You need a minion, just so you can give him the title 'Ad Mule'

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• MrTomFTW Moderator 6 Nov 2013 10:29:51 38,331 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Many bothans died to bring you these ads.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 10:30:50 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun I would love a minion!
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 6 Nov 2013 10:33:31 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MrTomFTW

I always keep this guy on point.
  • bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 11 Nov 2013 11:37:54 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Monday morning bump! just seeing if everyone is currently happy? or is there any further issues.
  • DFawkes 11 Nov 2013 11:42:50 23,017 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems alright to me, no Pet Rescue Saga redirects at all over the weekend so I assume it's fixed. Thanks you :)

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• bennyw01 Ad Trafficker, Gamer Network 11 Nov 2013 15:03:03 224 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DFawkes There was a number of ad content emails over the weekend which I was on top of so is one we are going to have to pay close attention to.

Appreciate the communities support on this one.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:46:14
    bennyw01 wrote:
    Monday morning bump! just seeing if everyone is currently happy? or is there any further issues.
    I have a slight rash on my elbow.

Edited by meme at 15:46:28 11-11-2013
  • DaM 11 Nov 2013 16:20:24 13,257 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    bennyw01 wrote:
    I have a slight rash on my elbow.
    Rub twice daily with AdBlocker.
  • mcmothercruncher 11 Nov 2013 20:13:50 7,094 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boy. BOY! Do I wish I could block Ads on a non jail broken ipad.
  • EMarkM 11 Nov 2013 21:40:40 3,174 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bennyw01 wrote:

Always happy to talk about these things :)
    Apologies; missed this personal response.

Many thanks for looking into it all for us :)
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous