Captain America: The Winter Soldier

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • varsas 25 Oct 2013 09:38:36 2,414 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I couldn't find a thread for the original film to discuss the new one. I enjoyed the original as an old school action film reminiscent of The Rocketeer. The new film seems to set a different tone given it's not a period one but also it feels different to the other Marvel films:

• GuiltySpark 25 Oct 2013 10:32:28 6,466 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Considering the first film was a bit pants, that actually looks fairly decent.

I am a sucker for trailers though.

Get bent.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Oct 2013 10:36:05 39,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My wife loved the first one (and we got to play "Spot the location" since part of it was shot in Liverpool) so I imagine she'll insist we have to go see this.

Not in 3D though. The 3D in the first one was terrible.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• El_MUERkO 25 Oct 2013 10:39:58 17,144 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm fairly excited for it, looks like a super hero sequel that won't be pants, also WInter Soldier is bad ass :)
  • Load_2.0 25 Oct 2013 10:49:41 19,662 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Considering the first film was a bit pants, that actually looks fairly decent.

I am a sucker for trailers though.
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly.
  • PearOfAnguish 25 Oct 2013 10:55:17 7,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Digging the cold war spy movie paranoia vibe. Marvel is getting shit-hot at choosing the right directors for these projects.

The first Captain America was alright. They rushed it a bit in the second half with a bunch of the action scenes being a montage, but there was a ton of character development for Cap.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Oct 2013 09:19:55 12,892 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• NotSoSlim 27 Oct 2013 09:25:49 3,148 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First Cap was always going to be a bit of bore. Modern day is where it's at
  • boo 27 Oct 2013 09:45:16 11,929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trailer looks great!
    I found the original CA, and Thor, were a bit dull on first viewing, but both of them improved immensely the second time around.
    In comparison to the slam bang, over-the-topness of the Avengers and Iron Man, they were always going to seem a bit small scale (Thor - set largely in small town America) or slightly dull (CA set in the 40's, with the sepia tone to match), but give them another chance and they shine in their own right.

CA:TWS looks like it's shifting into Iron Man territory now.

I'm not complaining though - looks great.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Deleted user 27 October 2013 09:53:41
    Opposite for me. I can't think of a single marvel film that holds up at all on second viewing. All the novelty, cheese and vacuous dialogue is only really good for a one off viewing.
  • MatMan562 27 Oct 2013 11:54:21 2,602 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The original Captain America was my least favourite of the Marvel made Marvel films but now this one isn't constrained by having to introduce him in the 40's, make him into a hero everyone would know, love and remember and then bring him into the modern day in the sapce of one film, I'm looking forward to this.

It basically looks like S.H.I.E.L.D. The Movie with special guest - Captain America, but I'm ok with that!

Edited by MatMan562 at 11:55:18 27-10-2013

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• oceanmotion 27 Oct 2013 12:40:48 16,123 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought the first film was awful. Think he needs to tone down the muscles a tad, looks way too pumped that he can hardly move.

This looks a bit better though. Hopefully he is more useful than he was in Avengers.
  • captbirdseye 27 Oct 2013 12:46:58 5,463 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kinda of dissapointed they brought him into modern day so quick tbh.
  • YenRug 3 Feb 2014 00:27:46 2,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trailer #2
  • MadCaddy13 3 Feb 2014 07:40:09 2,056 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haven't seen the first one. I thinks it because of the ridiculous casting. I never knew the human torch was the cap!
    It's seriously put me off it
  • CosmicFuzz 3 Feb 2014 07:43:27 25,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have you not seen the avengers?

Personally I hated the first cap movie, but I don't think Joe Johnson is a very good director. This looks pretty good though so fingers crossed.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 Feb 2014 08:04:17 39,754 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I actually quite enjoyed the first one, partly because some of it was filmed in Liverpool and I could recognise where.

My wife bloody loved it, although I think that might have been more to do with Chris Evans and the sad love story than anything else.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Whizzo 3 Feb 2014 08:14:30 43,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Captain America is probably my favourite Avenger, while the first movie could have been better the WWII setting was a nice change.

UK release date is the 28th of March as we always seem to get Marvel movies before the US, hurrah!

This space left intentionally blank.

• StarchildHypocrethes 3 Feb 2014 09:58:43 26,590 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoyed the first film too. Probably the best "comic book" film out of all of the recent glut of superhero movies. Good old fashioned Marvel meets Commando Comics stuff.
  • nickthegun 3 Feb 2014 10:00:30 61,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I liked the first one too. It was a good caper and the war setting really suited it.

This just looks like avengers lite and a bit generic. I know he is a guy dressed in an american flag who throws a circular american flag, but I would have preferred something a bit more.... espionagey.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• CosmicFuzz 3 Feb 2014 10:04:23 25,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My problem with the first film was that it was just incredibly bland. Action scenes (especially towards the end) became montages, I didn't really like anyone in it, and hardly any big character moments rang true. The worst part for me was Bucky dying. His death scene lasted all of 15 seconds, there was no build up to it and no feeling of loss whatsoever. I knew it was coming obviously, but when it happened I could not have cared less.. That really brought home to me how little I was caring about what I was watching.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 3 Feb 2014 10:04:52 25,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun the first trailer definitely had more of a cold war espionage feel to it. I'm hoping it's more that than just straight up action.

• CosmicFuzz 3 Feb 2014 10:09:59 25,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    The major focus of the film is supposed to be a power struggle within SHIELD so you'll probably get your espionage fix as well nick.

I like that is is building on the distrust Cap had of SHIELD when he found the Hydra weapons in the Avengers although Black Widow looks rather superflous to events.

Oddly looking forward to seeing The Falcon as well. His wings look badass.
    I wonder if this will all lead up to Cap turning against SHIELD, a la Civil War, with him getting assassinated.

Spoilers above for Civil War storyline in the comics for those that haven't read it.

• Gl3n Moderator 3 Feb 2014 10:12:59 5,950 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm just reading through Civil War at the moment and I agree with Whizzo about Cap being the best avenger.

The Falcon always seemed like a bit of a goof to me though?
  • CosmicFuzz 3 Feb 2014 10:14:41 25,609 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They've definitely modernised Falcon quite a bit for the film. His red suit and feather-wings would never have gone down well.

I thought Cap was great in Avengers, although Whedon obviously has a better handle on comics than most.

• nickthegun 3 Feb 2014 10:15:10 61,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    @nickthegun the first trailer definitely had more of a cold war espionage feel to it. I'm hoping it's more that than just straight up action.
    I hope so. Maybe this is the trailer for the fast and furious crowd.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 3 Feb 2014 10:29:52 44,955 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Captain America is probably my favourite Avenger,
    Ugh, I bet you liked Leonardo the best as well.
    Mikey!

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Whizzo 3 Feb 2014 10:39:41 43,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Captain America is probably my favourite Avenger,
    Ugh, I bet you liked Leonardo the best as well.
    His helicopter and parachute designs were amazing for the time.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous