Russell Brand Newsnight Page 3

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• Deleted user 24 October 2013 13:37:40
    russell brand is as naive as got out but this analysis seems spot on
    http://www.channel4.com/news/russell-brand-jeremy-paxman-anti-capitalist-revolution-bbc
  • spamdangled 24 Oct 2013 13:40:40 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @glaeken

They got a lot of other stuff though - raising the tax threshold to 10k, pupil premium, welfare reforms (though that looks to be a bodged job in practice), etc.

They're putting quite a bit of pressure on the tories at the moment over the energy debate actually. And there's been a lot of spats between the two parties, so you can't really say they're just going along with everything. They say they've managed to implement about 70% of their manifesto in one form or another, which is pretty impressive for a minority party. And I do think they've neutered some of the shit from the other side. Things are pretty shit now, but I think they'd have been a lot worse if the Tories had a majority and free reign.

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:41:26 24-10-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LetsGo 24 Oct 2013 13:54:27 5,220 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Absolutely, but I personally think this was a compromise too far.

Luckily, the majority of the UK felt the same way, that's the great thing about democracy (although if the vote had been done using AV, my first vote would be 'No' and my 2nd vote would be errrrrr 'Yes' ;-) ).
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 13:58:40 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Just watched the interview and wow, I know I would never have taken policical advise from Russell brand before but what a tit.
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 14:02:45 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @darkmorgado I honestly think though that the lib dems and Tories have been moving ever closer to the centre and it is infact labour who are out in the left field now (hoping to pick up support dropped by the lib dems aligning with the conservatives
  • w00t 24 Oct 2013 14:07:36 11,127 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Brand's article at the New Statesman - warning, may contain words

Edited by w00t at 14:07:54 24-10-2013

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• rudedudejude 24 Oct 2013 14:13:45 2,177 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't blame him for not voting, FPTP is such a broken system, the votes of the vast majority of the populace are completely null and void anyway. By voting in a broken voting system you could be seen to be supporting it.

His books are actually very interesting. It's a shame his comedy career, media pieces and sound bites cause many people to simply judge him and dismiss him as a nonsense comedian.
  • spamdangled 24 Oct 2013 14:23:32 27,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    @darkmorgado I honestly think though that the lib dems and Tories have been moving ever closer to the centre and it is infact labour who are out in the left field now (hoping to pick up support dropped by the lib dems aligning with the conservatives
    I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Tories have been moving closer to the centre for over a decade now - the New Labour landslide made that inevitable. They're still very much right wing and pretty Thatcherite in their approach to some things though (to appeal to the UKIP jumpers). The LD's have been fairly centrist for a while too, and the coalition has reinforced that (though it may be temporary, as a side-effect of compromise politics).

Labour are definitely leaning further to the left now and as you say, it's no doubt an attempt to pick up disaffected LD voters and take advantage of the unhappiness with Austerity Britain.

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:24:11 24-10-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Grax 24 Oct 2013 14:37:37 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @rudedudejude its not his comedy career, media pieces or sound bites that cause people to judge him. Its because he is a fucking clown without a clue
  • w00t 24 Oct 2013 14:42:14 11,127 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I couldn't disagree with you more, Grax.

I dislike his comedy work, but his politics (to me) are very interesting and informed.

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 24 Oct 2013 14:43:25 6,652 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Listening to him, he's obviously very bright but extremely narcissistic, which makes him intellectually masturbate every time he opens his pie hole.
  • RedSparrows 24 Oct 2013 14:43:49 22,773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd rather listen to Brand than LetsGo.
  • w00t 24 Oct 2013 14:46:02 11,127 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Definitely. Not many have scored points against Paxman in an interview, let alone make him laugh while doing so.

• Grax 24 Oct 2013 14:47:15 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    i would like to make it clear that although i voted for conservatives this time around (as i didn't find Labour's or Lib dem's answers to the financial crisis we had just faced valid, i am not aligned to one party over another and make my choice on an election by election basis.

I do think the austerity measures taken have been needed because when we were in the boom phase of the economy, labour instead of reeling it in, increased taxes, interest rates etc. Decided it would be in their best interests to keep running a deficit. Which has led us to be in this position.

I hate taxes as much as the next person but you have to admit they are a necessary evil.
  • rudedudejude 24 Oct 2013 14:47:58 2,177 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Grax And from where, prey, do you form that conclusion?
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 14:48:16 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @w00t can you elaborate. how does his version of politics work?

Thanks
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Oct 2013 14:49:06 17,082 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If people are going to vote for Boris because he is a buffoon then I don't see why Brand can't be taken seriously as a political commentator. At least someone with a high profile is talking about this stuff, it also doesn't really matter that he is promoting his show as he is still getting the message of disaffection out. I worked for a company a while back and only one person I spoke to, out of fifty employees, voted. That is pretty much the state of things.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Grax 24 Oct 2013 14:49:27 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @rudedudejude from understanding the need for an economy.

If people do not need to work for things, they wont work

If people do not work, who is going to make the things they want/need?
  • imamazed 24 Oct 2013 14:49:59 5,637 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    If people do not work, who is going to make the things they want/need?
    Chinese people
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Oct 2013 14:53:11 17,082 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    I do think the austerity measures taken have been needed because when we were in the boom phase of the economy, labour instead of reeling it in, increased taxes, interest rates etc.
    You are right in one respect in that the national deficit is something that should be dealt with during the boom period, it's the hard choice that Canada made and they came out of the 2007 recession with few problems because they had a coherent fiscal policy.

However, this doesn't translate that you should follow austerity when it's the bust-period. Rather the opposite, confidence is low, there's no spending and no one will spend because confidence is low. It becomes entirely cyclical and harms growth and prosperity and ruins the lives of a great deal of people. The only way out of recession is to spend spend spend and then pay it back when things take an upward turn.

You are a factory of sadness.

• w00t 24 Oct 2013 14:55:18 11,127 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grax wrote:

Thanks
    Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you mean his political system to replace what we have, why must one have a solution in order to have the right to point out a problem?

I could point out that a plane only has one wing, but I'm fucked if I know how to put one on the other side that will work. I can still see there's a big fucking problem with that plane, and I'm not getting on it.

• whatfruit 24 Oct 2013 14:56:33 1,523 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Having read thae New Statesman article, Brand is articulating the ideas of a number of contemporay academics, philosposhers and thinkers, but he presenting them in his jester like style.

There is a serious debate being argued by people like the human dream project, David Held's The Cosmopolitanism, The University of Ideas, Singularity University, Jason Silva, Jermey Rifkin, Global Civilisation, Pax Civitatis and a whole host of organisations which are seeking to change our current cosmology or world view by challenging the Hobbsian neo liberal political consequence free capitalist system which has arisen since the late 1980's.
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 15:00:19 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Mr_Sleep i agree with that also, it is an odd situation really. i understand the way the economic cycle works (boom - save, recession - spend) but i think with the added media interest in the recession, if the government had continued to spend spend spend, it would have caused even more issues as the tabloids would question their sanity. It really is a lose lose situation.
  • w00t 24 Oct 2013 15:04:15 11,127 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do it. This thread could save my afternoon!

• Grax 24 Oct 2013 15:05:13 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    *cracks fingers* FINALLY! My time to use my politics degree has arrived!!
    please do :)
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 15:05:18 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 15:14:33 2,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    w00t wrote:
    Grax wrote:

Thanks
    Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean.

If you mean his political system to replace what we have, why must one have a solution in order to have the right to point out a problem?

I could point out that a plane only has one wing, but I'm fucked if I know how to put one on the other side that will work. I can still see there's a big fucking problem with that plane, and I'm not getting on it.
    you wouldnt try to fix the plane (not yourself but by finding someone who is able to?) instead you would leave it there to rot???

if i felt there was a serious issue with the politic system, that i felt could be rectified, then i would do something about it. Either by voting for a party who will push through changes that i would like to see or by standing for election myself (which would at least get one vote) At the end of the day, a democracy allows us the choice of who we would like to see in the position to make decisions/changes.

The biggest problem i see with it at the moment is tabloid newspapers and the rise of celebrity politicians instead of serious views. Alot of people have been calling the next election either Cameron or Miliband but its not. It is the views of the party as a whole and the local council repetitiveness that you should be voting for.
  • Page

of 17 First / Last