Russell Brand Newsnight Page 14

• Page

of 17 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 10:35:37 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good Lord that removes any sympathy I've had for the man. He's obviously eloquent and intelligent, but he cannot get past his enormous desire to be self serving or his own ego. An article which laughs off the 'character assassinations' levelled at him and in which he then directly attacks Cameron, Boris and Nick Clegg, giving them a sentence apiece, sticking the knife in and moving on, is hardly well reasoned and more backlash vindictive. And an article where he compares himself to Jack Sparrow and Spartacus (tongue in cheek) and Che Guevara (apparently seriously) whiffs of aggrandisement and self importance.

Loose knit unedited stream of consciousness whimsy, full of bumpf, once again he wants something 'better' without writing one word on what that something might be. There are problems with our political system, and he doesn't have the solutions, he just wants to be some kind of people's champion. 3/10, tit.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• imamazed 6 Nov 2013 10:36:56 5,533 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reads like a 2/10
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 10:39:30 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It actually makes me angry that there's a very important point to be made here and it's lost because this pillock jostled to the front of the queue and is losing the message, and the argument, under layer after layer of his own sense of supreme importance.

• glaeken 6 Nov 2013 10:56:57 11,138 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The more he says the more he shows himself up. The solution to the banking crisis of not bailing out the banks and instead creating a million new job shows massive naivety. Yeah we could have just let the banks all fail and that would not have effected anything else would it :eek:

Trying to paint politicians as being entirely about big business also comes off badly. I am sure it's more nuanced then that and this not coming from someone who has any time at all for career politicians.

He does love his special pleading as well.
  • nickthegun 6 Nov 2013 11:00:05 59,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find his arguments persuasive and compelling. Hes actually articulating a lot of things I have thought myself over the last few years as I have become utterly disillusioned with politics, going from a fairly militant voter to someone who just goes to the polling station to draw cocks on the ballot paper.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 6 Nov 2013 11:05:12 27,670 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can't fault his stance on David Camerons face looking like a little painted egg.

Hush you ponce

• glaeken 6 Nov 2013 11:05:33 11,138 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree with many of his points but I just find he overreaches a lot and if he tries to get into specifics he comes unstuck.

I am with him on the sentiment though.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:05:39 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just don't see he has a solution though nick. And what is he actually doing if he hasn't got a solution? We all know there's a problem already.

• nickthegun 6 Nov 2013 11:07:07 59,416 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He doesnt. He's quite clearly stated that he doesnt have the solution several times.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:09:21 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's my point. Don't tear down a house if you have no plans for how to rebuild it. And withholding your vote gives the incumbents, and the incumbent system, carte blanche to ignore you.

(Plus I don't like the weird foppish blokey tone he brings to this, but that's more a taste thing).

• binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:10:17 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    The more he says the more he shows himself up. The solution to the banking crisis of not bailing out the banks and instead creating a million new job shows massive naivety. Yeah we could have just let the banks all fail and that would not have effected anything else would it :eek:

Trying to paint politicians as being entirely about big business also comes off badly. I am sure it's more nuanced then that and this not coming from someone who has any time at all for career politicians.

But that's not what he said, was it? The view was of someone else that he was then sharing, and the view was that instead of giving the bosses millions of quids in bonuses they invested that money in jobs for nurses, police etc.

Can't fault the theory in that at all.
  • binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:13:40 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    That's my point. Don't tear down a house if you have no plans for how to rebuild it. And withholding your vote gives the incumbents, and the incumbent system, carte blanche to ignore you.

(Plus I don't like the weird foppish blokey tone he brings to this, but that's more a taste thing).
    I'm not sure on this, it's quite a binary way of thinking and (obviously) that's not how Brand operates. Nor is it how a lot of people think. There are many different types of people in this world and we need the thinkers just as much as we need the doers.

Edit: To add to this, I'd be quite happy to smash holes in my walls, but I'd need to "get a man in" to help me re-plaster the fuckers.

Edited by binky at 11:15:01 06-11-2013
  • glaeken 6 Nov 2013 11:16:54 11,138 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

But that's not what he said, was it? The view was of someone else that he was then sharing, and the view was that instead of giving the bosses millions of quids in bonuses they invested that money in jobs for nurses, police etc.

Can't fault the theory in that at all.
    Yeah you could read it like that. Either interpretation does not make much sense to me. The bankers gave themselves the bonuses so who is it that is not going to give the bankers bonuses and create 1 million jobs?

He did say he was repeating something someone else suggested but it's probably not a good idea to repeat things people said to you if they are stupid.
  • binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:19:31 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @glaeken For me it's more about interpreting that pumping the money into things like paying nurses, police, armed forces a bit more is a much better idea than giving bankers big cherries. I can't find fault in that.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:20:31 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:

Edit: To add to this, I'd be quite happy to smash holes in my walls, but I'd need to "get a man in" to help me re-plaster the fuckers.
    Let's go metaphortastic!

We don't know that there is a man out there. And in the meantime all he's advocating is smashing holes in your walls.

• sport 6 Nov 2013 11:20:36 12,685 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brand is coming for you and your kind LB!
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:24:52 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @glaeken For me it's more about interpreting that pumping the money into things like paying nurses, police, armed forces a bit more is a much better idea than giving bankers big cherries. I can't find fault in that.
    Because it isn't a pot of money each year in isolation.

Let's look at the extremes:

2013: you have £1m in your pot. You can pay 5 bankers or 50 nurses.

Bankers earn £200k, pay c£75k tax. Work for a bank, which earns, £2.5m, pays £750k tax.

Nurses earn £20k, pay £2.5k tax. Work for a hospital which earns £0, pays £0 tax.

2014: you paid the bankers, you have £1.125m in your pot. You paid the nurses, you have £125k in your pot. One of these is sustainable.

Put simply, the bankers (and big business) pay for the nurses.

• binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:33:43 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    binky wrote:

Let's go metaphortastic!

We don't know that there is a man out there. And in the meantime all he's advocating is smashing holes in your walls.
    There MUST be a man!
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:35:45 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    binky wrote:

Let's go metaphortastic!

There MUST be a man!
    And there probably is. But we don't know how much he costs, or even how to contact him, and Russell Brand is shouting from the rooftops that we should smash our houses to pieces without knowing those things either.

Edit: also it's going to be hard to shout from the rooftops when you've smashed all the houses down.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:36:39 06-11-2013

• binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:36:01 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro I accept it's not simple, and completely understand that without one you can't have the other, but the bankers ARE being paid. It's not like they're going home to a bedsit and burning yesterday's socks for warmth. It's the bonuses that get lumped on top that I have trouble with.
  • binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:36:37 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Yeah but he's so dreamy.
  • Grax 6 Nov 2013 11:39:41 2,132 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @binky the thing with the bonuses are it is an incentive to earn more. Therefore paying more taxes etc. There does need to be some regulation in the banking sector and there are some now.

Sorry for the shit posts i am really not with it but the jist remains the same

we need the bankers to be doing their thing and bringing money into the economy and to get the best of them, you have to pay bonuses (not just bankers but alot of work places have a bonus system)

It doesn't just go for bankers either, without the possibility of profit, would we see MS or Sony pumping so much money into computer consoles? if we were to tell them they had to hand over almost all the money they earn to pay for doctors and nurses they will lose the will to earn as much

Edited by Grax at 11:43:16 06-11-2013
  • binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:40:35 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My point is that I think it's good to open these thought processes up. Talk of revolution is nonsense and he's been spouting that for comedy effect for as long as I've known him to perform. The points are valid. This needs talking about and I think it's good that someone in Brand's position is opening debate about such things.

I don't agree that he should be telling his religious followers not to vote, but I do agree that voting at the moment is Hobson's choice and is the reason that I've begrudgingly crossed a box in recent times rather than be (excited is too strong a word here but..) compelled to do so.
  • binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:42:54 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Grax wrote:
    @binky the thing with the bonuses are it is an incentive to earn more. Therefore paying more taxes etc. There does need to be some regulation in the banking sector and there are some now.
    I want to agree with you. Bonuses should be an incentive but are they if you're paying them to yourself?
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:43:44 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    binky wrote:
    @LeoliansBro I accept it's not simple, and completely understand that without one you can't have the other, but the bankers ARE being paid. It's not like they're going home to a bedsit and burning yesterday's socks for warmth. It's the bonuses that get lumped on top that I have trouble with.
    Well, there is a better way but I don't think you're quite focussing on the right aspect of it.

If a UK bank makes £100m profit and pays zero bonuses the exchequer gets £28m.

If a UK bank decides instead to make £zero profit because it paid £100m in bonuses the exchequer gets £50m.

However, to be utopian about it all the bank should ideally do neither, earn zero profit and pay zero bonuses and spend the £100m making services better, and costs cheaper, for their customers. The problem with that is: what incentive does the bank have to do so? What happens if next year the bank makes -£100m and goes under because it didn't have money squirrelled away from a rainy day? What if the lack of bonuses means the employees go elsewhere and so the bank makes a loss? All of these advocate that a bank should be a) profitable and b) pay for employees at the going rate across the market.

It is sad that nurses etc, who perform a vital service, are not paid as much. But a nurse who earns £20k and works for an NHS hospital is a £20k drain on the hospital. A banker who earns £100k, makes a £400k bonus, but generates £1m profits for the bank, is a £500k asset to the bank.

It isn't 'fair', in as much as that means anything. It is how it is though. What would you recommend?

• Grax 6 Nov 2013 11:45:14 2,132 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @binky there are regulations stating how much you can earn as a bonus etc that cover the whole of the banking industry

Even though you pay yourself there is someone overseeing you (not that they were doing a very good job)
  • sport 6 Nov 2013 11:46:24 12,685 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So hold on, are we in agreement now that paying the bankers more will benefit all of us?

hmmm yeah, that worked out well a few years ago.
  • Grax 6 Nov 2013 11:48:00 2,132 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @sport the problems only arise when you dont keep an eye on what banks are doing as they will do anything for extra cash. We need bankers, we dont need greedy bankers
  • binky Moderator 6 Nov 2013 11:50:56 9,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Umm.... Revolution?
  • LeoliansBro 6 Nov 2013 11:51:33 43,746 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    So hold on, are we in agreement now that paying the bankers more will benefit all of us?

hmmm yeah, that worked out well a few years ago.
    That was what we paid the bankers for, not how much. Ironically, driven ultimately by all the hard work doctors and nurses were doing.

• Page

of 17 First / Last