Russell Brand Newsnight Page 5

  • Page

    of 17 First / Last

  • Darth_Flibble 24 Oct 2013 18:11:00 1,692 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really can't stand Brand, reminds me of the Film actors Guild From Team American film, Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team America, and then Team America goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

    He really loves to hear is own voice but has very clue how to fix the problems
  • LetsGo 24 Oct 2013 18:23:28 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    arials101 wrote:
    LetsGo wrote:
    If he really cares he would become an MP but he won't, he loves being a celeb and he loves the money.

    Also, being poor doesn't make you a druggy, it's an excuse, blame someone else but yourself.
    Russell Brand wasn't just poor - his parents divorced when he was an infant, he was sexually abused by a teacher when he was 7 years old, his mother got cancer when he was 8 years old, he was adopted because his mother was so ill, he suffered mental illness in his teens, he became homeless at 16 because of disagreements with his stepfather, his real father took him to see prostitutes. Taking drugs (especially Heroin) that take you into a nihilistic oblivion seems to appeal to people from abusive and depraved backgrounds, but they should stop making excuses and blaming others..

    You can't really think that the best and only way to influence politics is by becoming an MP, it isn't the only way to show you care and it isn't the only way to have an effect. Loving money is a big part of the problem up and down the political spectrum money is embezzled and influence bought, the system isn't full of altruistic paupers.
    Good man.
    It sounds awful what he went through but that doesn't mean he needs to turn to drugs and illegal activitys does it?

    (Not suggesting that Brand has ever done this but) if you got mugged on the street or your house burgled by a bloke who needs to pay for drugs, if I told you the story above, would you say 'awwwww it's ok, don't worry about it'?
  • Lukus 24 Oct 2013 18:41:50 19,112 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But as excuses/reasons go, they're some pretty good ones.

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 18:44:17
    Nope, we shouldn't listen to reasons, reasons are for communists. Such people should be strung up by the highest yardarm and left to swing on the gibbet.
  • thelzdking 24 Oct 2013 18:44:54 4,367 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    The biggest problem imo is the press. Most of what we read is biased one way or another, and most are happy to play politics because it's in the interest of their owners.
    Yes, and the whole thing is compounded as politicians become more interested in getting good press than actually running the country well.
  • Deckard1 24 Oct 2013 18:46:07 27,984 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I had the best upbringing imaginable and I still hammered the drugs when I was younger. Fuck knows how I would have turned out if I my mum was a prostitute and my uncle fingered me.
  • kalel 24 Oct 2013 19:04:02 87,688 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like Brand, and I think he's very intelligent and perceptive generally, and I have time to listen to anything he says.

    However, in this case he got himself rapidly out of depth. I don't think he needs to provide solutions, but you get a sense he doesn't even really understand the things he's taking issue with beyond a broad surface level of "the system is broken". That's just bollocks.
  • LetsGo 24 Oct 2013 19:29:46 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme so if you or a member of your family got mugged by a druggie, you would be fine with it if he had a similar story?!

    I'm just fed up with people making excuses just because he is a celeb.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 19:32:48
    Your two sentences don't actually correlate. Russell Brand hasn't mugged anyone.
  • LetsGo 24 Oct 2013 19:45:07 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme why can't you put brand aside for a minute and answer the question.
  • Metalfish 24 Oct 2013 19:45:32 8,818 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't go bringing logic into this, meme!
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 19:50:26
    Yeah, put the exact subject of discussion aside and answer the utter strawman setup instead.

    But sure, I'll answer it. I'd certainly be more sympathetic towards such an individual. That doesn't equate to "being fine with it" in your disgustingly binary world, but it does equate to "having empathy".

    Edited by meme at 19:50:42 24-10-2013
  • LetsGo 24 Oct 2013 19:51:08 5,217 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's OK, brand has good opinions about politics and a celeb so it's fine!
  • Lukus 24 Oct 2013 19:53:03 19,112 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    It's OK, brand has good opinions about politics and a celeb so it's fine!
    You're a thicko, aren't you.

    Edited by Lukus at 19:53:41 24-10-2013

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Jeepers 24 Oct 2013 20:01:04 13,181 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    It's OK, brand has good opinions about politics and a celeb so it's fine!
    You cannot be that utterly and depressingly deficient in empathy and imagination. It's literally impossible.

    Edited by Jeepers at 20:09:30 24-10-2013
  • TheRealBadabing 24 Oct 2013 20:11:46 1,314 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ironically, it's that same lack of empathy and borderline psychotic selfishness that Brand believes is one of the most crucial changes we need in society.
  • King_Edward 24 Oct 2013 20:18:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Once again, Brand hasn't actually mugged anyone.
  • spamdangled 24 Oct 2013 20:24:13 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LetsGo wrote:
    if you or a member of your family got mugged by a druggie, you would be fine with it if he had a similar story?!
    I'd have a degree of understanding as to what would drive someone to do that. Would I be fine with it? Of course not. But there's about fifty million different shades of grey between black and white, which is where most of the world lives.

    Real life morality is a bit more complicated than Jedis and Sith playing comboys and indians across the galaxy.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • senso-ji 24 Oct 2013 20:26:12 5,912 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched the interview. While Brand does come across as a University student waxing lyrical about the ills of society while daddy pays the bills, I do admire that he can and does speak his mind in this way. So many celebrities are micromanaged to the extreme that it's impossible to ascertain whether their opinions are genuine or not.

    Even if Brand is talking bollocks, how many celebrities of his ilk will agree to a similar interview and speak in a similar way? Imagine if Beckham or Katie Price or Simon Cowell were asked those questions.
  • spamdangled 24 Oct 2013 20:27:32 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd rather not, I've just eaten dinner.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Ballsdeep 24 Oct 2013 20:41:31 1 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I thought this was superb.
  • Grax 24 Oct 2013 20:53:12 2,260 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    could there be anyone worse as an mp the russell brand

    yes, yes there can
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 20:59:06
    Grax wrote:
    could there be anyone worse as an mp the russell brand
    Yes
  • spamdangled 24 Oct 2013 21:02:33 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that a broken link or some sort of "look at any of the current lot" ironic joke? I just got a list of all existing members.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 21:04:53
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I just got a list of all existing members.
    Yes.
  • Metalfish 24 Oct 2013 21:09:49 8,818 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd vote for Brand if he said he would give evidence-based governance a go.

    And he's really just an overgrown sixth-former of a different cloth to the rest of the overgrown sixth-formers in power.
  • RedSparrows 24 Oct 2013 21:26:26 22,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I just got a list of all existing members.
    Yes.
    .
  • RedSparrows 24 Oct 2013 21:27:30 22,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PS LetsGo stop being dense.
  • spamdangled 24 Oct 2013 21:29:46 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He made a thread trumpeting Milliband as the next prime minister after a pretty shallow speech that he didn't even write, delivered at a party conference.

    And he voted against AV because he though it guaranteed being offered PR instead.

    I think he's beyond hope.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Page

    of 17 First / Last

Log in or register to reply