The new Mac Pro Page 2

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

  • spindizzy 23 Oct 2013 17:57:07 6,400 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone got a link to the manufacturing video? I couldn't find it on the apple site (I must be being an idiot). I fancy me a bit of machining porn before dinner...
  • kalel 23 Oct 2013 17:57:32 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    moron wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    How do you know he isn't into CAD/modelling/scientific calculations, professional video editing?
    Because there is no such thing in Mac OS. 99% of such programms are Win only
    That's interesting, because all the environment designers who use CAD in our office use Macs, as do the video editors. I'll let them know there's no such thing as the software they're using. It'll blow their minds.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2013 17:57:52
    Yeah, just load up your copy of Final Cut Pro on your Dell laptop, you nonces.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Oct 2013 17:58:42 8,747 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love the look of those, wouldn't make sense at all for me but I still want one :-)

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • Armoured_Bear 23 Oct 2013 17:58:43 8,747 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I love the look of those, wouldn't make sense at all for me but I still want one :-)

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • huh_what 23 Oct 2013 18:00:52 655 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    moron wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    How do you know he isn't into CAD/modelling/scientific calculations, professional video editing?
    Because there is no such thing in Mac OS. 99% of such programms are Win only
    No worries, you can just emulate Windows in Mac OS so you can use those 99% of programs.

    Well worth paying a premium for compared to a Windows box. That you'll be emulating anyway in Mac OS. It all makes sense.

    LOOK AT HOW FUCKING COOL THAT CYLINDER LOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dominalien 23 Oct 2013 18:02:04 6,742 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can pretty much guarantee no hipster is going to buy this. It's like living in a shit hole, but driving the latest M5: it's because you can't take your home to town.

    Gaming is certainly not the purpose of the device and buying it for that is certainly a silly thing to do. Especially as OS X is firmly in the shit-for-games land. There really are other uses for a computer than games and writing text.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • spindizzy 23 Oct 2013 18:02:43 6,400 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guys. They're both trolls or (heh) morons so can we try to just ignore them? I know it's tempting to respond, but this thread will get trashed even more. And I want my link to the manufacturing video!
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Oct 2013 18:03:39 35,172 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    German technology site heise.de, not exactly known for being Apple fanboys, did some number juggling today and came to the conclusion that you're bit of a cluless idiot if you really think the Pro is somehow particularly overpriced compared to the competition.

    I wouldn't have an idea, I am just paraphrasing, so don't blame me.
  • kalel 23 Oct 2013 18:04:42 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    .

    Edited by kalel at 18:05:05 23-10-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Oct 2013 18:05:10 8,747 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    huh_what wrote:
    moron wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    How do you know he isn't into CAD/modelling/scientific calculations, professional video editing?
    Because there is no such thing in Mac OS. 99% of such programms are Win only
    No worries, you can just emulate Windows in Mac OS so you can use those 99% of programs.

    Well worth paying a premium for compared to a Windows box. That you'll be emulating anyway in Mac OS. It all makes sense.

    LOOK AT HOW FUCKING COOL THAT CYLINDER LOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you a troll or really that stupid?

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • PhoenixFlames 23 Oct 2013 18:06:25 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just realised you're all talking about the desktop rather than the laptop. D'oh!

    I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • kalel 23 Oct 2013 18:09:43 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Just realised you're all talking about the desktop rather than the laptop. D'oh!
    I did think it odd you were considering selling your laptop to buy a 3k desktop.
  • PhoenixFlames 23 Oct 2013 18:11:32 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Just realised you're all talking about the desktop rather than the laptop. D'oh!
    I did think it odd you were considering selling your laptop to buy a 3k desktop.
    :-)

    I certainly have no need for a desktop that expensive / powerful.

    I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

    PSN - phoenix1flames

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2013 18:12:41 6,654 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I wish mac monitors were HDMI
  • Xalurin 23 Oct 2013 18:13:22 1 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'm not sure if its worth the money
  • kalel 23 Oct 2013 18:15:14 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    moron wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    That's interesting, because all the environment designers who use CAD in our office use Macs, as do the video editors. I'll let them know there's no such thing as the software they're using. It'll blow their minds.
    I use ANSYS, Zemax, 3D Studio. These are leading products in corresponding areas, Windows only
    You're not really sticking to any one point, but great, that's nice for you.

    Honestly, I'm sure PCs can do the job just great. Maybe better. But there's a supreme irony to people who get their knickers in a twist about Apple fanboys, when they are themselves acting like the worst kind of fanboys.
  • spindizzy 23 Oct 2013 18:20:39 6,400 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh I give up..

    ANSYS is available on Linux too, so you're wrong about it being Windows only, and which also means it could be "trivially" ported to OSX if anyone cared to. Anyway, who gives a fuck? There are plenty of professionals using macs for professional work in all of the fields you listed... So please stop trolling the thread you fucking knobber?

    /goes to make dinner.
  • kalel 23 Oct 2013 18:21:38 83,875 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Presumably now that Mac have released an (apparently) amazing top end pro machine again, some top end software will come out for it.
  • nickthegun 23 Oct 2013 18:22:51 55,849 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    I wish mac monitors were HDMI
    If you are referring to cinema displays, theres a dell equivalent that I buy for work that are just as good, matte (HOORAY!) finish and have vga, dvi, hdmi and display port.

    400, which is very reasonable.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • nickthegun 23 Oct 2013 18:24:28 55,849 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron wrote:
    huh_what wrote:
    No worries, you can just emulate Windows in Mac OS so you can use those 99% of programs.
    You don't buy such PC, you assemble it yourself.

    First you buy big expensive case, because this PC most likely will run 24/7 and need good cooling. Then you buy usual fast memory, not stupid ECC. ECC is only good for servers

    Then you buy minimum a couple of 2 TB HDD and put them in RAID 1 (or four HDD in RAID 1-0 configuration). Tiny SSD won't do any good

    If you don't run renders like Maya/3DS, don't bother with pro Open GL video at all

    Otherwise you will waste a lot of money on absolutely useles stuff
    Its hard to believe there is an even more retarded version of vizzini out there.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2013 18:25:19 6,654 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I was. I went to this company that design and make garden sheds and the guy was using a 26" cinema display. I think it was 26" anyway.

    Stunning.

    I'll check out the Dell though, cheers.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2013 18:27:42
    moron wrote:
    huh_what wrote:
    No worries, you can just emulate Windows in Mac OS so you can use those 99% of programs.
    You don't buy such PC, you assemble it yourself.

    First you buy big expensive case, because this PC most likely will run 24/7 and need good cooling. Then you buy usual fast memory, not stupid ECC. ECC is only good for servers

    Then you buy minimum a couple of 2 TB HDD and put them in RAID 1 (or four HDD in RAID 1-0 configuration). Tiny SSD won't do any good

    If you don't run renders like Maya/3DS, don't bother with pro Open GL video at all

    Otherwise you will waste a lot of money on absolutely useles stuff
    At what point do you buy the less important parts of the system like the motherboard and processor?
  • nickthegun 23 Oct 2013 18:28:02 55,849 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2411736,00.asp

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Oct 2013 18:31:24 6,654 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers; Checking Apples site, it was probably a 27" that I saw.
  • superdelphinus 23 Oct 2013 18:33:13 7,265 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like many apple things, I really want this despite having absolutely no need for it. It's just really cool. Can you keep a drink in the middle of it?
  • superdelphinus 23 Oct 2013 18:34:56 7,265 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Two more things

    1. It looks like the Death Star when the cover is off
    2. How the fuck do you turn it on?

    Edited by superdelphinus at 18:35:12 23-10-2013
  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

Log in or register to reply