• Tonka 12 Jan 2018 10:43:19 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Try switching to raw water from one of
    these. It's amazing!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 11:01:06 2,433 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm over my New Year cold now, but everybody else in the office today is sneezing and hawking up big gooey lumps of bright green phlegm.

I just know one of them's going to reinfect me.
  • Dougs 12 Jan 2018 11:03:48 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've managed to avoid the bad cough and cold doing the rounds. My wife has had it quite bad, for a few weeks now. Kids have had minor colds, but nothing major thankfully.

/guaranteed to be ill next week.,
  • Ingram85 12 Jan 2018 11:11:39 242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People who have colds but go to work can piss off! Stay at home I don’t want your germs!
  • Dougs 12 Jan 2018 11:48:53 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blame the culture here. They don't want to be at work, but feel pressured to.
  • sport 12 Jan 2018 11:54:04 14,089 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just pissed blood in the work urinal and I can't feel the left side of my face. But Craig needs his TPS reports goddammit!
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 11:59:25 11,914 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Surely it isn't an option to call in sick if you've just got a cold? Pretty much everyone would be having weeks of time off in the winter.
  • Addy_B 12 Jan 2018 12:03:03 2,463 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    Surely it isn't an option to call in sick if you've just got a cold? Pretty much everyone would be having weeks of time off in the winter.
    How's your missus now after her bout of illness mate?
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Jan 2018 12:04:14 5,592 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Be as graphic as possible please.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 12:07:04 11,914 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    She's fine, it was just a standard bout of "the shits". I managed to use it to get out of a party I didn't want to go to between Christmas and new year too. Which I'm sure she'll agree made it all worth well.
  • Addy_B 12 Jan 2018 12:13:18 2,463 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Be as graphic as possible please.
    Lol
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 12:23:06 2,433 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ingram85 wrote:
    People who have colds but go to work can piss off! Stay at home I don’t want your germs!
    Seconded.

What really makes me cross here is that our IT facilities these days are really, really good for working from home. Full remote access, tele- and video-conferencing, the works. If you're feeling ill, but not so ill that you can't work, then working from home is an absolute doddle and is what I tend to do. If nothing else, avoiding my commute seems to be the fastest, most effective way to get over a cold for me.

Edit: Argh, wrong quote. Fixed now.

Edited by Rogueywon at 12:25:47 12-01-2018
  • ChocNut 12 Jan 2018 13:20:00 2,342 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nonstop colds the last year or so. Have a kid that doesn’t sleep and every exercise regime I setup fails for reasons mostly outside my control.

The worst part is it’s keeping me from doing even the easy work so I’m falling behind in my job and struggling to keep a lid on my exhaustion.

I took parental leave spread over the month but my tasks just got squished into the time I am in work.

Oh well. At least I get to work virtually. Must be rough to have a boss watching your every move.
  • JamboWayOh 12 Jan 2018 13:21:28 4,460 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I'm ill in bed with a godawful cold, coughing actually hurts my chest. It's definitely no flu, I remember getting that for the first time when I was in my fourth year of uni and feeling delirious with fever as I tried and failed to watch an FA Cup replay in bed. It was made by living with a bunch of guys who didn't check on me for an entire week and the fuckers saw Munich without me!
  • FilthyAnimal 12 Jan 2018 13:38:20 196 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    If your chest is hurting when you cough, may be worth getting it checked out in case it turns out to be pneumonia. I made the mistake of waiting that one out last year and it resulted in me coughing up so much blood and being unable to speak for all the phlegm in my throat that my wife had to call an ambulance.

Right now, thankfully, I'm lumbered with a simple cold that is finally subsiding after three weeks.
  • Dougs 12 Jan 2018 14:13:55 84,253 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I think there's a difference between having a sniffle and/or a minor cough to something more full blown. If your head is about to explode and you're coughing up a lung every 2 mins, then work might not be the best place for you.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 13 Jan 2018 12:07:43 1,561 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Last time I had a cough that hurt, it ended up being pleurisy (which I'd never heard of), so yes get it checked.

My bug can piss off. I was trying to get stuff sorted and it did decided to return and wiped me out. I've had to lay down as I'm so tired and shivery. I've got too much to do for this illness crap.
  • Dirtbox 13 Jan 2018 16:51:35 89,643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a heavy type of flu that's killing people doing the rounds right now, so mind you keep your fluids up and don't OD on lemsip.
  • Addy_B 13 Jan 2018 17:27:57 2,463 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    If your chest is hurting when you cough, may be worth getting it checked out in case it turns out to be pneumonia. I made the mistake of waiting that one out last year and it resulted in me coughing up so much blood and being unable to speak for all the phlegm in my throat that my wife had to call an ambulance.

Right now, thankfully, I'm lumbered with a simple cold that is finally subsiding after three weeks.
    My wife got pneumonia late last year. She had a bad chest for weeks and docs have her several antibiotics that did nothing. She felt that poorly one day her mum took her to our local A&E and they told her she had it. They gave her some stronger pills and a few weeks later she was sorted.
  • mal 13 Jan 2018 19:13:56 28,815 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the only one that's died from flu I can remember here actually died from the pneumonia. Nasty shit that.

Last time I had the proper flu, I don't remember coughing being a big part of it. Lots of hot and cold flushes, lethargy combined with prickly skin, so consequently a trip to the toilet or to get water was only tackled when absolutely necessary. But my pulmonary system wasn't badly affected.
  • freddymercurystwin 13 Jan 2018 20:31:11 1,290 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The flu jab is the future chaps, cheap if it only avoids one cold!
  • wobbly_Bob 13 Jan 2018 21:46:15 4,323 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got swine flu when it was going around. I was sick for almost 2 weeks. In remember playing assassin's creed when I was over the worst of it. It was really awful though.

The other time I was really sick was with the norovirus aka projectile vomiting and shitting virus. I was only really ill for 3 days but for me it was the worst. I'm actually terrified of ever getting that again.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 21:54:59 13-01-2018
  • mal 13 Jan 2018 21:53:59 28,815 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had that - or at least I did according the the governments shitty website test thing. Gave me a prescription for tamazopam or whatever that shit was called, but the next day I felt a lot better. Amazing stuff that - a mere prescription for it was powerful enough to fix me right up.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.