PS4/Xbox One platform parity

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 21 Oct 2013 15:47:56 960 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If the PS4 proves to be able to significantly pull ahead in key areas compared to Xbox One, do you think we will see the benefits in cross platform games?

Of course, there are a LOT of variable factors, but already there has been some doubt cast on the Microsoft console's ability to keep up. There are undoubtedly areas that being more 'balanced' will mean it is unable to stretch as far.

NFS Rivals developer Ghost has said that the game may look a little better on one of the consoles, but won't say which.

Responses from different Battlefield 4 devs on Twitter and in interviews are suggesting (some saying confirming) that the game runs at a higher resolution on Sony's console - 900p on the PS4, and 720p on the Xbox One.

There is the fact that the PS3 was touted as much more powerful than the 360, and that turned out not to be significant in the real world, but I think that the situation is different with the new consoles.

Many people will say that there will end up being negligible difference again this time, and some think that the PS4 will be much more capable - but I don't believe that there is anyone of the opinion that the Xbox One will be able to perform any outright spankings.

I hope if the grunt gulf proves true in practice, that we don't see games capped or gimped in any way so as to not outshine one console. Be this by the developer's hand or outside pressures.

All that can be said for definite at this stage, is that Digital Foundry is about to become interesting again :D

Edited by Sir_Walter_Rally at 15:50:46 21-10-2013
  • Grax 21 Oct 2013 15:48:44 2,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    delete
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 21 Oct 2013 15:50:17 37,905 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I read that as "...platform party".

I am disappointed.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• imamazed 21 Oct 2013 15:51:17 5,537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    conjecture
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 15:51:43
    Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    the grunt gulf
    What the holy hell are you talking about?
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 15:53:56
    The only real difference I can see happening is games running smoother on the PS4. Devs won't want the hassle of making drastic changes between the two consoles. Too much money involved.
  • Pinky_Floyd 21 Oct 2013 15:55:51 7,730 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Party? Just let me get my grass skirt and coconut bra on the go!
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 15:58:50
    At the end of the day, the ps3 was meant, and is, more powerful than the 360 for most of the generation, the ps3 had the worse ports... so we have to see, saying that, i found the DF face offs a bit silly. PS3 HAS ONE FRAME PER SECOND MORE!
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 21 Oct 2013 15:59:31 960 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    imamazed wrote:
    conjecture
    I knew this would elicit responses like this, and I have already admitted we can't say anything for sure at the moment, but lets not forget there are some very real differences between these consoles, and not where it doesn't matter, either.

Developers have already been vocal about it.
  • Zomoniac 21 Oct 2013 16:04:34 7,827 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many people will say that there will end up being negligible difference again this time, and some think that the PS4 will be much more capable - but I don't believe that there is anyone of the opinion that the Xbox One will be able to perform any outright spankings.
    But... THE CLOUD!
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 16:16:27
    joelstinton wrote:
    At the end of the day, the ps3 was meant, and is, more powerful than the 360 for most of the generation, the ps3 had the worse ports... so we have to see, saying that, i found the DF face offs a bit silly. PS3 HAS ONE FRAME PER SECOND MORE!
    Wasn't that down to the cell being a bugger to work with though?
  • chrisno21 21 Oct 2013 16:17:49 1,495 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

PSN/NNID: chrisno21
    twitter: @NumbersFox

• Deleted user 21 October 2013 16:24:50
    That's definitely where MS have had there heads lately.

Edited by SG59 at 16:27:51 21-10-2013
  • Zomoniac 21 Oct 2013 16:26:41 7,827 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    Wasn't that down to the cell being a bugger to work with though?
    Something to do with the hyperturbo DDR vectors powered by the Cell, if I recall vizzini's post on the matter correctly.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 16:31:38
    Ah right.

Well, I don't see how we could have that issue this gen. Both machines are very close to PC's.

Although, apparently Jonathan Blow has been bitching a lot about the new DirectX. Of course, he could just be being a giant douche...

Edited by SG59 at 16:32:20 21-10-2013
  • Blerk Moderator 21 Oct 2013 16:43:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The inside of the PS3 looks like this. That green bit right in the middle is the Cell. It's made of Kryptonite.
  • ubergine 21 Oct 2013 16:59:35 2,341 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought the main problem with the PS3 in latter years was its memory arrangement. Now it seems like X1 will have that problem instead.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• FogHeart 21 Oct 2013 17:31:00 944 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    the grunt gulf
    What the holy hell are you talking about?
    It's the space between you and other people that develops after you let out a really loud fart.
  • IronGiant 21 Oct 2013 17:38:02 4,493 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Games will be gimped on multi platform titles, let's face it who wants to piss off Microsoft.

First party devs will really push both consoles, can't wait to see what Naughty Dog have been beavering away on..
  • Bremenacht 21 Oct 2013 17:40:03 17,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still no email. Will send email inquiring after email.
  • Syrette 21 Oct 2013 17:42:28 43,359 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't listen to OP's views on South Park.

• bladdard 21 Oct 2013 18:19:18 933 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    From what I've read the power difference is pretty much the same a PS2 vs Xbox 1 which didn't stop PS2 destroying everything in its path. Games make console success not GFX fidelity.

Edited by bladdard at 18:20:46 21-10-2013
  • jabberwoky 21 Oct 2013 18:36:35 511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its obvious the first party stuff will be buffed from here to kingdom come and thats where the difference will be seen.

Later on, other developers will find themselves in a position where if they don't spruce up the PS4 version, and other developers do, then they will be at a competitive disadvantage on a minimum of 50% of their sales.

(Or of course it could be a minimum of 75% of their sales I suppose, depending how things go.......)
  • Nehmis 21 Oct 2013 18:40:23 689 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I feel sorry for the EG servers the day the first DF article comes out. It will be a bloodbath across the gaming forums :D That said, I'm hoping that both consoles play to their strengths. We'll see that in exclusives for sure.
    Games make console success not GFX fidelity.
    Let us hope the devs remember this.
  • altitude2k 21 Oct 2013 18:52:56 4,136 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The PS4 may indeed be more powerful. But all the face-wrinkles and waving grass in the world would mean fuck all to me if my mates are together enjoying Halo and I'm not.

And whether it plays well or not, look at Ryse - a launch title. Hardly an underpowered machine IMO.

That said, I don't think I can last a generation without Naughty Dog. Will probably cave and get a PS4 at some point.
  • oceanmotion 21 Oct 2013 19:09:58 15,848 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PS4 will be better across the board and Xbox One games will be a notch down here and there. Basically game changing stuff can be done on either console to an adequate level. Performance and eye candy will be up to devs.

Sony have probably positioned the PS4 as the dev and publisher platform of choice like 360 did successfully. More initial sales will hammer that home. Gives PS4 games even more of an edge but Microsoft's late dedicated server support may bring them some favour.
  • Derblington 21 Oct 2013 19:13:44 21,506 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sony confirmed they would be running their cloud service from next year and I'd be amazed if they don't offer dedis at the same time. Regardless, all the big games you want to play will run them.
  • Sir_Walter_Rally 22 Oct 2013 10:25:50 960 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    The PS4 may indeed be more powerful. But all the face-wrinkles and waving grass in the world would mean fuck all to me if my mates are together enjoying Halo and I'm not.
    That's nice, thanks for that nugget... but I'm not talking about exclusives. I'm talking about cross platform games.
  • Sid-Nice 22 Oct 2013 11:00:18 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If the Xbone becomes the more popular console (especially in the US) then you can guarantee it will be the lead platform, relegating the PS4 build to inferior ports.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Mr-Brett 22 Oct 2013 11:16:35 12,777 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nehmis wrote:
    I feel sorry for the EG servers the day the first DF article comes out. It will be a bloodbath across the gaming forums :D That said, I'm hoping that both consoles play to their strengths. We'll see that in exclusives for sure.
    Games make console success not GFX fidelity.
    Let us hope the devs remember this.
    Not just the devs, the players need to remember it too. Digital Foundry encourages the worst, most pointless vizzini style debates about pointless bullshit. People lap it up though.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous