Diablo 3 Page 162

• Page

of 279 First / Last

• shamblemonkee 8 Sep 2012 17:24:16 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @dm new legendaries don't mean much when the rest of the loot mechanics are uninteresting. i've yet to find a single legendary, rares need to be just as interesting at a minimum.
  • Arrr9 16 Oct 2012 16:49:03 415 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For those that still care, patch 1.05 will be implemented tonight and good to go tomorrow. Here are the patch notes:

http://www.diablowiki.net/Patch_1.0.5

The main one for me being greatly altered drop rates, quality etc.
  • Salaman 16 Oct 2012 21:12:12 18,959 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh. Was zoned out on the bus from the plane to the terminal today and for some reason I thought of Diablo 3. And that I'll probably never end up going back to it although in theory I could spend the rest of the year just playing that and not having to buy another game again.

/need to finish
    Ghostbusters
    Batman AA
    Rage
    Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Skyrim
    Borderlands

/Want to buy
    Sleepign Dogs
    Max Payne 3
    Xcom
    Dishonored

/bought at launch but didn't open yet as the PC is fried
    Borderlands 2

*sigh*
  • Arrr9 16 Oct 2012 21:25:47 415 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I seem to have the opposite problem, bought Borderlands 2 and Dishonored recently but keep on going back to Diablo instead. I've always had stupid buying habits when it comes to games, buy something day 1 because I want it only to have it sit on the shelf as I'm too engrossed in something else.
  • Psychotext 17 Oct 2012 00:00:16 53,941 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it's been something like a couple of months since I played this. I don't get it, it was probably about a year before I stopped playing D2. I just have nothing to go back for.
  • Trafford 17 Oct 2012 01:17:40 5,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fuck this. Come up with something new like free content.
  • Phattso Moderator 17 Oct 2012 01:51:24 13,274 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would go back to it but my authenticator stopped authenticating, so... yeah, very much in the "Fuck Blizzard" camp right now. Shame, but there are only so many hoops I'll jump through to play my games.
  • THFourteen 17 Oct 2012 07:35:55 33,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i havent played this for months either. Also like Phattso, i've wiped my phone since i last played it, and would need to reset my authenticator which is a PITA and i cant be arsed
  • hypoBla5t 17 Oct 2012 08:13:13 1,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, I have to say I'm interested again now. I know it's had a lot of stick but to be honest this is probably second only to Dark Souls in terms of playtime for me over the last year, perhaps inched down to third by Borderlands 2. Once it gets into my head I find it difficult to resist...
  • smallheavy 17 Oct 2012 23:24:07 3 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pretty happy with 1.05. Got a legendary drop on my first play through today
  • DamoVotf 25 Oct 2012 12:59:06 546 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tried the game out again last night, and its just dire even with MP and all the game is just dull.

It looks good, well balanced.

But the story is cack and the replay ability is near zero. Totally disappointed with it, ah well back to DOTA 2.
  • THFourteen 25 Oct 2012 13:35:34 33,185 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i wonder if Blizzard did that on purpose to make sure people went back to WoW after a short break. Strange how it coincided perfectly with just before the release of the panda one.
  • shamblemonkee 16 Nov 2012 09:36:33 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MP10 up to Inferno and this actually feels like what my memory tells me d2 was. They still need to spiff up the loot mechanics but at least the other stuff is more up to snuff now.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Nov 2012 09:40:25 7,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm taking recruits for the Torchlight 2 thread, people. More should be playing it, so BUY BUY BUY.

Seriously, it's like 20 bucks, and in many ways better than D3.
  • shamblemonkee 16 Nov 2012 10:13:52 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The loot is great in TL2, but it's other systems can feel a little dusty. it still has the potion spam for example, the combats not as tight as d3.

i wish i could smush d3, poe and tl2 altogether to make one game that i'd be lost playing forever :D

basically buy and play both.
  • shamblemonkee 16 Nov 2012 10:13:52 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The loot is great in TL2, but it's other systems can feel a little dusty. it still has the potion spam for example, the combats not as tight as d3.

i wish i could smush d3, poe and tl2 altogether to make one game that i'd be lost playing forever :D

basically buy and play both.
  • Commander-Keen 16 Nov 2012 10:48:22 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have to admit that I'm finding it really hard to get excited about the prospect of continuously re-playing this game and just grinding for better loot. I mean, what for?

I'm not that happy that Blizzard have crowbarred in the always on-line element of this game, and from the handful of other games I've got which have done the same, NONE of them seem to benefit in any real way from this. At least not from the customer's perspective. And certainly not in any way that couldn't have been achieved using other methods and without pissing off a whole load of people.

[/mytuppence]
  • UncleLou Moderator 16 Nov 2012 11:25:55 35,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    I have to admit that I'm finding it really hard to get excited about the prospect of continuously re-playing this game and just grinding for better loot. I mean, what for?
    Well, that's the genre, though. It's not like it's required to play and finish the game, it's just that some people enjoy it. I don't play these games continuously once I've "finished" them, but D3 and TL2 will stay on my PC for years to come. They're perfect for a quick session occasionally, and the prospect of new loot is a major factor.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:26:54 16-11-2012
  • Commander-Keen 16 Nov 2012 11:37:21 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Well, that's the genre, though.
    I suppose that's the crux really. I played and enjoyed Diablo and Diablo 2 as very solid, linear single player games. They had a start, a story, and an end to the game. Someone like me could play it and just enjoy being tugged along for the ride. Relatively, the plot to D3 is pretty preposterous for the most part, so really it just comes down to grinding the same old familiar environment.

I suppose my challenge is, if that's your bag, why both with D3? At least you get more variety, and more people in a proper MMO? Or if you want a big, lush single-player environment, surely something like Skyrim beats the hell out of this?

I just feels to me like they took a successful formula, and in trying to crowbar in a vogue piece of functionality, have relegated it to the "jack of all trades, master of none" zone.

Fundamentally, if the only reason to keep coming back to this game is to keep on grinding in the hope of a slightly better piece of armour, or a slightly better sword, the question naturally arises, why do I want that sword? So I can keep on grinding? For what? To keep on the treadmill for another, slightly improved shiny thing?

I love aspects of the game. But the hamsterwheel ain't for me...

Edited by Commander Keen at 11:39:02 16-11-2012

Edited by Commander Keen at 11:42:30 16-11-2012
  • Psychotext 16 Nov 2012 11:44:29 53,941 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another month gone and still not been back to it. Time to uninstall I reckon.
  • shamblemonkee 16 Nov 2012 12:22:12 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Commander Keen because with most MMOs the loot is much more tightly controlled and banded.

You seem to have missed the core appeal of this sort of game - there's supposed ot be a continual process of gear improvement with each new drop that worth considering making you consider exchanging an improvment in stat x with a slight lessening of stat y, while you continue to hope for that drop that lets you improve both.

Skyrim's loot is actually very boring in that there's no real consideration over "how much dps does it do?"

there's no real options for building aorund crit chances, dots, lifesteal, etc.

With an ARPG there's not real requirement to keep the player weak, more that you start capable and then progress to smashing your way through in an effort to kit yourself out.
  • Commander-Keen 16 Nov 2012 13:19:23 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    You seem to have missed the core appeal of this sort of game - there's supposed ot be a continual process of gear improvement with each new drop that worth considering making you consider exchanging an improvment in stat x with a slight lessening of stat y, while you continue to hope for that drop that lets you improve both.
    No I do get that, and I do see that. I suppose that it fundamentally comes down to the fact that I'm moaning* that I personally don't like the changes they've made to the game, and as a result, I'm less interested in it or playing it the way they've re-designed it to be played. At least Skyrim is massive and not as repetitive (albeit, you've been in one cave of skeletons, you've been in them all) as playing the same levels over and over.

I fully appreciate that there are going to be people who love this, but for the same reason that I don't play World of Warcraft, I'm not interested in games being a grind or a chore simply for their own sake.

I just don't find the prospect of improving my gear for no other reason than to keep on improving my gear an attractive one. If you're hardcore into it, I can definitely see the appeal, but personally I'm long past the stage in my gaming life where I'm bothered about the technical / prowess side of gaming; I don't play games to have a second job or a hobby. I play them purely for fun and relaxation!

It reminds me a bit of that old chestnut about comedy and comedians - is comedy which doesn't make you laugh out loud while you're watching it actually funny? It might be worthy. It might be intelligent. It might be very well observed. But if you're not laughing, is it actually funny, or even comedy?

The same applies for me with games. If it's not fun what's the point? It might be good to impress your gaming peers,or to show off how good you are at something technically, but is it really a game, or just something mechanical that a player has been taught to learn by rote, like scales on a piano? Scales can be impressive, but no-one wants to hear a recital of them, no matter how fast you can play them, nor how blinging your instrument. Unless they're Steve Vai fans, I guess!

That was a bit rambling and off-piste!

*Because it's all about me

Edited by Commander Keen at 13:44:43 16-11-2012
  • shamblemonkee 16 Nov 2012 13:45:15 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, i'm the same with regard to the competitive aspects, I don't carry on playing these games to show off my items to anyone or similar (especially so with a game where it can all be acquired off of an auction house. I'll carry on playing because the base gameplay is interesting and then hopefully there's an interesting layer or two on top of that of loot mechanics character building, with the gambling jackpot carort constantly being dangled in front of you.

That for me is the fun value, yeah it will get old eventually but the same goes for everything, it's jsut a mtter of for how long it can hold your interest. D3 sufferes a bit in this regard be reducing the randomness of areas and dumbing down the loot game a bit rather than opening it up to more complexity and variation.

Some games of this sort have employed "infinite" dungeons or dungeons as loot (see Path of Exile). but basically at some point it's going to become repetitive whatever you do.
  • Commander-Keen 16 Nov 2012 14:05:39 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, agreed.

I don't know what it is, but there's something about the way they've made and designed D3, which stops me from falling in love with it enough to *want* to care about the loot. After all, I'll play a game like Football Manager for more hours than I care to remember (I refuse to check the Steam Stats out of fear!!!) and you could argue that it's a similar grind (albeit with a very different interface) which plateaus after a certain point.

I think some of it comes down to the fact that they botched the initial experience - all the on-going issues were quite frustrating, and that coupled with the fact that you couldn't actually save the game when you wanted, allowed a trickle of resentment to turn into a something of a flood.

As I said above, I also strongly disagree with making what is fundamentally a single player game always-online. There was no need for it at all, and it smacks of control-freakery and greed. And if you're going to make people pay for something and force unpopular features on them, then you bloody well better get your shit together and make sure that the features don't make the game unplayable for long periods!

On a side-note, I do hope this trend for forcing always-online into games goes the way of the minidisc and is seen as a bit of a "what were we thinking, eh?" type fad in a few years.

That said, I do like my monk. He's a dude. I just can't be arsed to have to dig him up from wherever I left him and *have* to smash through arcade style to the next check-point. I don't like the idea of being locked to the machine, at the beck and call of D3 until the next save point. I should be the game's master, not the other way around!
  • UncleLou Moderator 16 Nov 2012 16:12:10 35,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Commander Keen I see where you're coming from, it's certainly not for everyone, but your earlier post seems to suggest that Diablo 2 was any different in that respect, when it was exactly that what made it famous for replayability.

As for MMOs (or open-world RPGs) - as it has been said, there is no proper random loot MMO available that I am aware of, and none delivers the same fast-paced, tight gameplay with instant satisfaction like D3 or TL2 do. :)
  • shamblemonkee 22 Nov 2012 15:15:16 14,320 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you know what, this is actuallly pretty damn nice now - plenty of room for improvment sure - but I've got a (un)healthy addiction on right now for this.
  • [maven] 26 Nov 2012 16:10:37 5,152 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also came back to this over the weekend and had a good time finishing Inferno (back when I stopped it was like pulling teeth through Act 3).

The nice thing is you can now run on Monster Power 1 and farm wherever you want. With my current gear it's great fun, stomping through hordes of trash monsters, but having to pay attention for Elites, and stupid shit still gets you killed.
    And getting a nice reward for Paragon Levels (mostly %Magic Find, the stats are minuscule) feels good.

Now the most annoying thing is all the "Expired" listings in the Auction House, just hide them client-side, you tards if you have to run memcached over everything to cope with the load.
  • hypoBla5t 9 Dec 2012 20:07:43 1,393 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It is mental that it's now easy to smash through inferno when at one time it was nigh-on impossible. Having spent a few hours with it it's now possible to raise 100k in 20-30 mins on just Monster Power 0, so been spending about that much per armour slot and gone from ~25k to ~50k DPS, got about 3 legendaries as well. Just been fiddling with my build to make it more offensive rather than the kiting build I needed a few months ago.

The WD is looking pimped and kicking ass. It's been a divisive game but for me it is supreme, and probably my GOTY.
  • Page

of 279 First / Last