• Stickman 5 Jul 2012 19:40:47 29,664 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Working as intended.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• THFourteen 7 Jul 2012 21:02:24 34,470 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't logged in since Tuesday for various reasons, but not sure i can be arsed.

Think i am done.

Looking at the various empty friends lists and the fact that this thread hasn't had a single bump for over two days suggests a lot of you are at the same point
  • Mola_Ram 8 Jul 2012 15:36:02 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My witch doctor is up to Inferno and dies a lot. My Barbarian dies somewhat less, but I've recently been getting periods where latency is constantly at 1000ms or more. Which is unplayable.

So yes, I have stopped. I guess another reason is that I know all I have to look forward to is more fights with the same enemies and same bosses, grinding for loot that I can't really use for anything except grinding for more loot. At the end of the day, it's just so... shallow. Shallow and pointless.

But maybe I've just been playing too much. I may get a kick out of trying one of the other classes, so I may do that after a bit of a break. Actually getting to level 60 is quite fun.

I'd give Hardcore more of a go - I have a monk on level 13 there atm - but my friend just lost a level 44 on there after a lag spike. So I'm a bit paranoid about that.
  • Khanivor 8 Jul 2012 16:42:24 41,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hardcore makes it a lot more, well, intense. You give a shit about your toon and do things the right way as opposed to the quickest way. My biggest fear playing hc though is indeed technical. I don't mind dying if I fuck up but would be really pissed if I died because the internet spazzed out for a millisecond.
  • Mola_Ram 8 Jul 2012 17:08:41 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I really do get the appeal of Hardcore. I've played Roguelikes and such, and the constant threat of imminent and permanent death does make it a whole different game. But I did almost ragequit ADOM altogether when a crash killed my level 46 Mindcrafter. Something similar in D3 would probably sour me on the game as a whole.

So I'll wait until things are more stable. If they ever are. Unfortunately I don't live close to where any of the servers are, so perhaps a certain amount of lag will always be there.
  • romelpotter 8 Jul 2012 17:43:30 202 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hardcore is a rush, lag is the elephant in the room and when you feel like its getting better, all of a sudden your key commands don't respond and you can kiss your ass goodbye. Said my lvl 43 hc monk haha. No... wait, seriously it's gash!! Could be great but its not.
  • Khanivor 8 Jul 2012 18:40:24 41,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Playing on an EU server from the US; that's hardcore hardcore :p
  • Psychotext 8 Jul 2012 20:00:37 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can anyone recommend any particularly good Wizard setups? Have hit inferno now and I think I need to actually work out what I'm supposed to be doing. :D
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jul 2012 01:21:20 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just fire the laser at them pew pew zzzzzap
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2012 02:05:26 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Super
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jul 2012 02:49:22 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sorry. I've heard that Wizard (and WD and DH) builds in anything above Act 1 Inferno tend to involve a lot of running away.

I don't have much Wizard experience, but the Blizzard forums have a wizard page. Might do well to look in there.
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2012 03:13:28 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The running away bit is certainly mostly true, though I have seen a melee Wizard build which looks like fun (it requires ridiculous gear).
  • spamdangled 9 Jul 2012 03:37:51 27,459 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any particularly good Wizard setups? Have hit inferno now and I think I need to actually work out what I'm supposed to be doing. :D
    Force Armour
    Frost Hydra (for slowdown)
    Wave Force (for knock back when you get surrounded)
    Disintegrate
    Electrocute
    Blizzard (for more slowdown)

Prioritise life regen and int on your gear, and you have yourself a decent kiting spec with a good degree of survivability (i'd recommend Templar as a hireling specced for healing).

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Captain_America 9 Jul 2012 09:38:53 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just hit level 60 last night! Started Inferno but only went as far as finding Deckard so far.

The difficulty step up only seems about as bad as going up any level of difficulty so far. It all seems so gear dependant I just went and spent about 300k on the auction house again and upgraded my worst bits of gear and bought an awesome new sword. Nothing seems to be stomping me so far elite groups were still slightly challenging but no more than in Hell mode.

I'll probably get to the Butcher after saying this and get smashed.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jul 2012 10:40:12 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Act 2 (and then 3) is where it really starts to rape you. The first act isn't that much more difficult than Act 4 Hell, but yeah... after that, prepare to die.
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2012 13:46:35 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Force Armour
    Disintegrate
    Electrocute
    Any idea which version of Disintegrate or Electrocute there?
  • Psychotext 9 Jul 2012 14:06:57 55,032 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Related, this seems quite interesting: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4797580412?page=1
  • fragglerocks 10 Jul 2012 00:35:27 302 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did the secret "cow" level last night whimsyshire it was lots of fun. The "monsters" are tougher than you'd expect for unicorns, flowers & care bears. I was killed once by a unicorn champ pack! Slight disturbing that the unicorns turn into bloody corpses but mb that's cuz i used to have some My Little Ponies.
  • spamdangled 10 Jul 2012 01:12:46 27,459 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Force Armour
    Disintegrate
    Electrocute
    Any idea which version of Disintegrate or Electrocute there?
    I'm not sure of the name of the runes exactly (I use an authenticator and don't have my keys to hand to log in and check) but the electrocute version I use is the one that sends out bolts in a single direction with a high penetration chance, and the disintegrate rune I use is the one that increases damage over time.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Slurmseh 10 Jul 2012 02:14:29 2,357 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Beat Belial on Hell. Have it you prick!
  • Mola_Ram 10 Jul 2012 03:40:29 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm still stuck at Belial on Inferno, even with help. :(

I always seem to have way more trouble with him than with the later bosses.
  • Neut 10 Jul 2012 20:23:17 377 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Psychotext This is the build I use

Basically involves stacking Venom Hydra's AOE DoT on top of Blizzard's slow and 10% more damage from cold blooded, Shock Pulse with Piercing Orb cuts through the slowed mobs as well. Force armour is required in Inferno of course. For survival I use Teleport or Mirror image to escape snares and from bad positioning and horrible elite/champion affixes. Illusionist is fucking amazing as it resets the cooldown on Mirror Image/Teleport pretty much any time you're hit in Inferno. Diamond Skin lets you tank an extra few hits which is a life saver.
  • spamdangled 10 Jul 2012 20:30:47 27,459 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PC Gamer did a recent feature on different class builds which you might want to take a look at:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/12/diablo-3-build-guide-barbarian-demon-hunter-monk-witch-doctor-and-wizard/5/

• Slurmseh 10 Jul 2012 23:09:27 2,357 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hit 60 in act 4 Hell just now. Feels good. Hopefully I'll have no troubles getting through the remaining axt and then on to Inferno where I anticipate to die a lot!
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jul 2012 05:09:56 8,278 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    PC Gamer did a recent feature on different class builds which you might want to take a look at:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/12/diablo-3-build-guide-barbarian-demon-hunter-monk-witch-doctor-and-wizard/5/
    I would like to know if the writer of that article has actually tried most of the Inferno builds he suggested. I haven't tried most of them, but in my experience there are at least a few there that will get you killed very, very quickly.

Like the WD pet build. Yeah, great, they serve as a distraction, but they also die in one hit. And now you've wasted a slot on something that won't even recharge for another minute or so (unless you're one of those WDs who use Vision Quest, but even in that case there are plenty of more useful skills with long cooldowns).

There are some cool theme builds there - I love the Thor one for the Barbarian. But no way in hell would it be possible to use in Inferno. Unless of course you had insanely good gear, at which point you might be freer to experiment. But you won't have that when you start Inferno. And in my experience, people who say "please suggest an Inferno build for me" are looking for builds that don't need ridiculous amounts of money to be viable.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:02:54 11-07-2012
  • pyquila 11 Jul 2012 11:23:30 28 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Been using this wizard build for inferno, now in Act III.

left mouse - Shock Pulse with piercing orb
    right mouse - Blizzard with stark winter

Diamond skin with Crystal Shell or Teleport with Fracture
    Venom Hydra
    Energy Armor with Force Armor or Prismatic Armor (depending on my resists)
    Improved Archon

Glass Cannon
    Critical Mass
    Galvanizing Ward

Always have boots with 12% speed and about 700 life per second (without the Galvanizing Ward buff, so 1k in total). And a bit of focus on getting the resists up to a decent lvl (300-400 for act I.). Also I need attack speed of 1.50 or higher. Otherwise the animation for casting Blizzard gets so slow some faster mobs are just able to hit me.

I'm not the most gifted player when it comes to quick reflexes. So this build kills stuff without me dying too much. Idea is pretty forward. Cast a HUGE blizzard at the edge of the screen, pop a hydra between you and the blizzard. Monsters start to stumble towards you. Shoot some Shock Pulses, cast another blizzard, walk back a bit. Repeat. In the beginning i had problems with not having enough arcane power. But once i stopped panicking i was fine. But you can get more arcane regen with skills ofcourse. Or use the smaller blizzard which costs less.

You can do this all day long, even without great gear. Once you get better gear and more resist you can pop Archon and tank most mobs, even some Elite packs.

Act I became pretty easy after i got 27k dps (with glass cannon buff), 22k hp and 400 resists all. My normal farming route is the following:

Choose 'Imprisoned Angel - Cursed Hold' quest.

Festering Woods - 3 or 4 Nef Buffs
    Leoric's Mansion - 1 or 2 Nef Buffs
    Cemetery of the Forsaken - Many elite packs and change on some events
    Enter halls of Agony to get to the Cursed Hold. - 2 packs and the Warden.

If your gear allows it continue to the Butcher and kill him.
  • Gurgy 11 Jul 2012 18:25:29 2,639 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If anyone fancies helping me get past Belial on Hell feel free to do so. I'm fed up being whipped by him :(

Bear in mind I'm crap though so will need you to compensate for my crapness !

Ta

ReGuRgIt8oR #2847
  • Captain_America 11 Jul 2012 23:04:58 455 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well I am dissapointed by Inferno so far. I know you said act 1 is easier than the rest but I just 1 shotted it this evening from where I was after meeting Deckard for the first time. Got my 5 stacks siege breaker and didn't lose them all the way to the end and the butcher was a joke.

I don't even think I'm that well geared I've never paid more than 65k for an item on the AH.
  • Arrr9 11 Jul 2012 23:33:32 449 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Captain_America Maybe the fact that you've paid over 60000 for gear in the auction house is something to do with it, though going by the name, you've probably got an awesome shield by default.
  • Page

of 325 First / Last