Buying games at launch increasingly frustrating Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:41:02 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    standardized control schemes, graphics, physics, animation, sound, interactivity, game world size, open world games etc.
    Where did you find any physics, interactivity, game world size in your COD 12?

Black from first Xbox simply rapes it in everything
    cherry picking. What about Bad Company?
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:41:59 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Half Life 2
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:42:49 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or the physics in GTA
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:42:50 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or the physics in GTA
  • muttler 19 Oct 2013 22:00:05 4,062 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The definition of frustration: a 360 GTA V player seeing GTA V on the PS3 for the first time.
  • Arrr9 19 Oct 2013 22:08:07 416 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @moron I think there's a few more games with a destructible environment - manic miner and lemmings spring to mind and they aren't too recent.
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 22:10:52 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Rodney wrote:

cherry picking. What about Bad Company?
    Good example. One of the three games in gaming history with destructive environment, the other two were Red Faction and Black

First Bad Company was a great game, finished it three times. Sadly, Bad Company 2 was infested by COD sales and hit same rock bottom. Traded it back after one hour of playing
    physics doesn't just mean destructible environments. I like simulations and this Gen IL-2 Sturmovick, Forza and Shift beat anything from last fwn (on consoles at least). Then you have the physics in open world games, collissions, vehicles, explosions, moving objects etc.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Oct 2013 22:15:14 12,805 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron you are aptly named.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Rodney 19 Oct 2013 22:25:23 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    physics doesn't just mean destructible environments. I like simulations and this Gen IL-2 Sturmovick, Forza and Shift beat anything from last fwn (on consoles at least). Then you have the physics in open world games, collissions, vehicles, explosions, moving objects etc.
    Fully agree about simulators, there is no any comparison between modern sims and 10 years old. Except avia sims died out long time ago with SU-27 Flanker series and everything you have now is 6-th (or 7-th?) addon to IL-2

Not sure I'm agree about open world games. GTA 4 had zero of anything above, after Crackdown the game looked laughable. Maybe GTA 5 is different, don't know
    exactly, you are cherry picking, you dismiss the physics in open world games because it doesn't conform to your belief that all modern games are shut but the physics in modern open world games (vehicles, collissions, explosions, object interaction etc) are far more advanced than any games from 10 years ago.
  • Syrette 19 Oct 2013 22:29:11 43,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    moron wrote:
    GTA 4 had zero of anything above, after Crackdown the game looked laughable.
    Is this a real post?

Edited by Syrette at 23:39:46 19-10-2013

• Rodney 19 Oct 2013 23:02:49 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been playing games for about 25 years.
    Tresspasser had very advanced physics for its time and was unique in this regard but the way you interacted with the world was fundamentally broken. It made up for this by the fact you could stare at your own tits.

Most open world games today have equivalent or more advanced physics. And infinitely better controls.

Die by the sword had innovative controls but was it anymore innovative than the Wii remote (Zelda Skyward Sword) or even Kinect? The combat system in Batman AA was pretty innovative and new too!

There is perhaps less experimentation today in some regards because things like dual analogue control has been stdardised, refined and pefected as a way to interact with 3D worlds with a joy pad - much like how the PC mouse hasn't changed in 30 years. Innovation for innovation sake is not always a good thing
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 23:04:11 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    exactly, you are cherry picking, you dismiss the physics in open world games because it doesn't conform to your belief that all modern games are shut but the physics in modern open world games (vehicles, collissions, explosions, object interaction etc) are far more advanced than any games from 10 years ago.
    Cherry picking? Far more advanced
    okay, fair enough advanced cherry picking
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 23:05:38 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the fuck am I doing. I'm arguing with a moron on the internet and its a beautiful Sunday morning. I'm going into the garden to read.
  • spamdangled 19 Oct 2013 23:46:38 27,356 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    moron is living up to his name again then.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 19 Oct 2013 23:49:31 27,356 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyway, on topic -

It's definitely getting more and more frustrating picking up a game on launch. Between retailer DLC, preorder DLC, platform DLC, the hived-off content sold later as DLC, bugs and other problems... you're really best off either getting it a month later at half the price (some games tank in price even on week two these days...) or waiting for the hilariously misnmamed "game of the year edition".

Or just waiting for it to inevitably crop up in a Steam sale a few months later.

I'm incredibly picky about my day one purchases these days, reserving them only for those games that I've been really looking forward to. GTA V was the most recent one. The new Batman is the next, followed by SM3DW on the Wii U and Dead Rising 3 to go with my Xbox One. Other than that, I don't have anything else preordered off the top of my head for the rest of the year.

Edited by darkmorgado at 23:53:13 19-10-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Syrette 20 Oct 2013 00:04:59 43,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You could always just rent, you know...

... although even I'm not sure about that since Lovefilm quit doing games.

• spamdangled 20 Oct 2013 00:09:03 27,356 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to use Lovefilm. I don't think there's any more options these days is there?

• TheMayorOfJugs 20 Oct 2013 00:10:47 3,660 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You could submit to our glorious day one on-disc dlc overlords and saviours, Capcom?
  • spamdangled 20 Oct 2013 00:14:39 27,356 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    fuck that for a game of soldiers.

• Ep1cN3ss1e 20 Oct 2013 01:27:16 21 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ep1cN3ss1e wrote:
    I'd love to buy games at launch and at full price to support devs
    What?
    Lol oops, meant to say "I love to...". Fixed.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Oct 2013 01:28:57 4,198 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    muttler wrote:
    The definition of frustration: a 360 GTA V player seeing GTA V on the PS3 for the first time.
    ?
  • Ep1cN3ss1e 20 Oct 2013 01:29:35 21 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I'm not a fan of some gaming trends (regenerating health, DLC, XP grinding, unlocks hand holding and dumbing down of features, cut scenes. QTE etc).
    But it annoys me when people bang on about some golden era of gaming and how modern gaming is shit because it is such blatant cherry picking and usually doesnt acknowledge the many improvements; standardized control schemes, graphics, physics, animation, sound, interactivity, game world size, open world games etc.
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was, the OP was not about cherry picking or ignoring the advances in gaming - I even acknowledged them by saying good riddance to the old days.

Current gen has produced some of the best games, ever. There's a lot of shit, but that was the case in the "good" old days, and will be the case in the future.

Edited by Ep1cN3ss1e at 01:33:42 20-10-2013
  • TheRealBadabing 20 Oct 2013 02:03:53 1,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Buy vanilla over collector editions. Play the game and sell it on then buy the goty later
    This.

If the average gamer did it more often the publishers would stop viewing DLC/Collectors bollocks as free money. Unfortunately we live in a world of morons.
  • Rodney 20 Oct 2013 03:28:54 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ep1cN3ss1e wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    I'm not a fan of some gaming trends (regenerating health, DLC, XP grinding, unlocks hand holding and dumbing down of features, cut scenes. QTE etc).
    But it annoys me when people bang on about some golden era of gaming and how modern gaming is shit because it is such blatant cherry picking and usually doesnt acknowledge the many improvements; standardized control schemes, graphics, physics, animation, sound, interactivity, game world size, open world games etc.
    Not sure if this was directed at me, but if it was, the OP was not about cherry picking or ignoring the advances in gaming - I even acknowledged them by saying good riddance to the old days.

Current gen has produced some of the best games, ever. There's a lot of shit, but that was the case in the "good" old days, and will be the case in the future.
    No it wasn't directed at you. More Moron and his dogmatic insistence that all games are worse today ignoring all the ways many games have improved. I say that as someone who absolutely loves many old games - I still have a Windows 98 PC for playing old DOS games.

regarding bugs in new releases. I rarely experience them but games are so huge in scope these days it is almost inevitable. Developers have to balance scope, quality and budget. They could prioritise quality develop amazingly polished games but then gamers would just moan about the game's scope, map size and shit
  • Rodney 20 Oct 2013 03:31:34 1,903 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gamers who moan the loudest understand least about game development usually. The same ones who accuse developers of being 'lazy' for the tiniest fault while ignoring how impressive moast games are these daysmap
  • Page

of 4 First / Last