Buying games at launch increasingly frustrating

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Ep1cN3ss1e 19 Oct 2013 18:46:58 18 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love to buy games at launch and at full price to support devs who produce great games. I buy Collector's Editions of games and from devs which I'm confident in. But bugs and other issues are making it increasingly frustrating.

Back in the day games had to work out of the box since there were no patches and no internet. Yes, kids, really. I appreciate those days are gone, and good riddance. Nevertheless, too many games are released too early, lacking features and content, and worst of all, come with game-breaking bugs - even from solid devs like Rockstar (GTAO issues) or Blizzard (still waiting for multiplayer in Diablo, but I'll be buying it again on PS4 nevertheless).

Add the shenanigans with 0-day DLC, and sometimes exploitative pre-order content which is added in a full edition anyway, I'm finding it hard to justify buying games at launch or even during the first weeks or months. I'm much more inclined to wait for the GOTY edition - or more appropriately, the complete edition. It is guaranteed to have the gamebreaking bugs ironed out, and includes all DLC in one package.

Pretty much the only games I like to buy in the first weeks are multiplayer-only games (KZ4, BF4) which are better played at launch. Arguably even those get better with time, and are unlikely to have empty servers even after a year or two when the complete edition is released or the game and DLC is heavily discounted.

Fortunately it appears that at least Ubisoft (Watch Dogs) and whoever is developing DriveClub delayed their game rather than release it early. Here's hoping more devs realize releasing a game when it's Ready™ is better business than releasing a buggy product.

Edited by Ep1cN3ss1e at 18:48:08 19-10-2013

Edited by Ep1cN3ss1e at 01:27:11 20-10-2013
  • JiveHound 19 Oct 2013 18:57:21 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    What with games being released in alpha or beta builds this is going to continue. The consumer now fully expects to be part of the development process.

I'm uncomfortable with it personally but it has its merits. Minecraft felt suitably owned by the community which helped define what the end product would be. In this way the game may never be finished in the traditional sense.

Games released within undeveloped mechanics like what Godus is reported to be are far more cynical in my book.

Edited by JiveHound at 19:00:01 19-10-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Grax 19 Oct 2013 19:01:13 1,736 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    I'm getting more frustrated with goty editions to be honext
  • JiveHound 19 Oct 2013 19:12:34 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted

• JiveHound 19 Oct 2013 19:12:37 2,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Aye. They are farcical. Especially as in the case of Borderlands 2 they're being released more than a year later.

• Nehmis 19 Oct 2013 19:32:17 688 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nowadays (as in the case of BL2, BF3/4) if there's a season pass or a string of DLC coming out for a game you can pretty much expect an all in one edition later on. Nature of the business and as you say, you simply wait for it come out, better value for you, especially if it's a game you're not 100% sure about. Nothing wrong with that. It's a consequence of the whole season pass/dlc thing rather than a problem itself.
    Ep1cN3ss1e wrote:
    Nevertheless, too many games are released too early, lacking features and content
    Like you say, games are more complicated now than at any other time in history, the market is also huge so more chances for bugs etc to be discovered and seen. I think it's unfair to say games aren't feature packed though, you could argue there's a lot of token/unnecessary padding but not devoid of content.

I think one of the major issues is price. Some games simply cost too much for what they're offering, be it very little or doing something that's been done previously. And for the most part, special/collectors editions are a waste of money unless the physical (digital content is rarely worth it) content is something REALLY special. Like super rare and not made for a run of 30,000 :p

*EDIT* It also helps if you can a tell a mile off which games are worth it and which aren't. Some people just lap up every new hyped game that's coming out that year, then they do the same the year after and the year after.

Edited by Nehmis at 19:34:50 19-10-2013
  • -cerberus- 19 Oct 2013 19:39:19 2,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GOTY/Complete Editions are all I ever buy. If one isn't available then the game in question can fuck right off. If they decide to add even more DLC after the release of a GOTY edition - like 2K just did with BL2 - they can fuck right off as well.

Edited by -cerberus- at 19:39:34 19-10-2013

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• oceanmotion 19 Oct 2013 19:44:47 15,651 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vote with your wallet. Don't cave just to play a game earlier if you dislike what they are doing. Buy vanilla over collector editions. Play the game and sell it on then buy the goty later if you can't wait. Always a way round it, they don't force you at gun point.

Sucks what they do sometimes but now you can see how it usually plays out and choose when to jump in. Having a backlog is a good buffer, your always late to the party and get good deals
  • Mr-Brett 19 Oct 2013 20:02:03 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Games are bigger than ever, they're also often released on more platforms than was traditionally the case. It makes sense that there'd be more bugs and while most bigger companies have armies of QA testers it's just not possible to catch everything.

They're also more expensive than ever and while most developers would like to get the games as polished as possible, it's a business and it has to be released at some point.

Plus the internet brings all sorts of quirky issues that are usually impossible to see before millions of people start playing at once.

I'm not saying it's fine, these are definitely issues but I wanted to make the case for devs and point out that there are reasons for it. Gamers often don't want to hear the other side and chose to label developers as greedy or lazy instead (generally speaking, I'm not accusing anyone here).

Portable view - Never forget.

• gelf 19 Oct 2013 20:03:38 188 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worst thing is when they release a GOTY/Ultimate edition later and there's actually no way for an owner of the vanilla edition to get all the added content without buying the whole game again. Fighting games have been horrendous for this especially. Its just punishing and exploiting their most loyal fans.
  • -cerberus- 19 Oct 2013 20:22:19 2,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    gelf wrote:
    The worst thing is when they release a GOTY/Ultimate edition later and there's actually no way for an owner of the vanilla edition to get all the added content without buying the whole game again. Fighting games have been horrendous for this especially. Its just punishing and exploiting their most loyal fans.
    Of course there is a way: the online marketplace. Y'know, the sole place where the add-on content originally gets released.

• gelf 19 Oct 2013 20:27:49 188 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not always, there have been cases of games not actually offering any separate DLC way to obtain certain features.
  • BloodMountain88 19 Oct 2013 20:27:55 139 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @-cerberus-

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
    Super Street Fighter IV
    Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen
    Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend

Those are games off the top of my head I can think where all/some of the extra content was only available by buying the entire game again, and has never been available as DLC for the original games. I'm sure there are other games I can't think of as well that do the same thing.

Edited by BloodMountain88 at 20:28:37 19-10-2013
  • Darth_Flibble 19 Oct 2013 20:34:38 1,621 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You expect some bugs in games but the state some are crapped out and gamers are expected to be grateful for some half arsed day one patch. They spit on gamers and expect us to smile
  • Zomoniac 19 Oct 2013 20:36:43 7,792 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Games are bigger than ever.
    In which way? Seen this picture?

That's not exactly to scale though. And it's more to demonstrate linearity than size. A Doom level might look good from above when you factor in secret rooms and whatnot, but it's still possible to get through most of them in under 2 minutes, most levels in modern FPSs take 30-60. Throw in far more enemies, set-pieces, AI routines and it's not that surprising that sometimes things go wrong. Look at Skyrim, it's sold about 10 million copies and I doubt any two people have ever played through it the exact same way. How are you supposed to QA every eventuality on a game like that or GTA V? It's not possible. And those linear single-player corridor FPS games that your picture is referring to are, IME, usually rock-solid and bug free. Glitches in campaigns for things like CoD, BF and Halo are almost unheard of because they're easy to test.
  • nickthegun 19 Oct 2013 20:38:15 58,784 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ep1cN3ss1e wrote:
    I'd love to buy games at launch and at full price to support devs
    What?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• -cerberus- 19 Oct 2013 20:40:48 2,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BloodMountain88 If the extra content was never made available as DLC, then the games you mentioned are all reworked/updated versions of the original games, meaning that they count as different games.

To further illustrate my point: it's a fighting game but Deadly Premonition is not the same game as Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut. I consider those to be two completely different games.

• Metalfish 19 Oct 2013 20:47:54 8,786 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Aye. They are farcical. Especially as in the case of Borderlands 2 they're being released more than a year later.
    "GOTY" has just become shorthand for "all the expansions+any smaller bits of DLC edition". This is known to most of us, as such I wouldn't call it farcical, just a bit odd. You can still buy GOTY editions of Half-life that were released more than a year after the game.
  • Darth_Flibble 19 Oct 2013 20:51:34 1,621 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 is could of been DLC, they are hardly reworked versions like fifa release. Publishers know fighting game fans are very loyal and ready to be abused in the milking
  • -cerberus- 19 Oct 2013 20:59:06 2,422 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I've just spent a little time reading up on it and UMvs3 does strike me as a dick move... I suppose the wise thing to do would be to wait a while before purchasing the newest iteration of your favourite fighter series. Oceanmotion's post said it best:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Vote with your wallet. Don't cave just to play a game earlier if you dislike what they are doing. Buy vanilla over collector editions. Play the game and sell it on then buy the goty later if you can't wait. Always a way round it, they don't force you at gun point.

Sucks what they do sometimes but now you can see how it usually plays out and choose when to jump in. Having a backlog is a good buffer, your always late to the party and get good deals

• Mr-Brett 19 Oct 2013 21:04:04 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    moron wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    Games are bigger than ever.
    In which way? Seen this picture?

Yeah, it's bullshit, so what?

• Metalfish 19 Oct 2013 21:12:59 8,786 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No way, games are much simpler, which why I need to keep downgrading my PC to keep up with it.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Oct 2013 21:22:23 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoy the way it suggests an entire years worth of games conform to a certain design. I had a quick look at 2010, straight away in January: STALKER, oh. Of course it's a joke, it's not meant to be taken seriously but never underestimate the internet.

• Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:31:15 1,847 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not a fan of some gaming trends (regenerating health, DLC, XP grinding, unlocks hand holding and dumbing down of features, cut scenes. QTE etc).
    But it annoys me when people bang on about some golden era of gaming and how modern gaming is shit because it is such blatant cherry picking and usually doesnt acknowledge the many improvements; standardized control schemes, graphics, physics, animation, sound, interactivity, game world size, open world games etc.
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:35:12 1,847 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    90s Doom clones were fun (I still play Doom and Duke Nukem 3D) but really how much fun was it getting lost in cavernous maze like level looking for a key card or switch. Retro side strafing FPS games still exist to scratch that itch but with improved control schemes, graphics, sounds etc.
  • Rodney 19 Oct 2013 21:39:47 1,847 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you judge FPS games only by the square foot the yeah, older games are better.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous