Better Call Saul Page 40

• Page

of 46 First / Last

• Zerobob 17 May 2017 12:46:03 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wish Better Call Saul didn't assume you've seen Breaking Bad quite so much. I've seen it, but it was a while ago now... It was great, but I'm done with it now and I've forgotten a lot of details. I just want Jimmy and Mike's stories now told from the ground up, which I suppose it delivers. Some viewers may be confused by the significance of a lot of things if they've not seen Breaking Bad though.

Regarding this week's episode, for the first time yet I became aware that I'm really starting to be drip fed the storyline. Neither of the main storylines progressed significantly in any way, and for the first time so far it didn't give me a compelling reason to watch the next episode. I got the impression they were setting up a lot of things, especially concerning the drug cartels, which will hopefully involve Mike stepping in next episode.
  • Ddanno 17 May 2017 13:51:24 1,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, I think there will be some really significant developments in the next episode or two that emerge out of pretty lo key scenes in the latest
  • RichDC 17 May 2017 15:19:11 7,489 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about Mike or the cartels side of the story? Jimmy's story is far more interesting.
  • JiveHound 17 May 2017 19:03:24 8,382 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zerobob

It's a prequel, of course It's going to have elements of BB and be steeped in little nods of fan service.

Just because you can't remember or don't want to rewatch it doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.

The reason it exists it because BB was so well regarded.

It stands on It's own merits anyway so no need to remember shit
  • JiveHound 17 May 2017 19:28:30 8,382 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't care about Mike or the cartels side of the story? Jimmy's story is far more interesting.
    Most likely in the minority at least.
  • mothercruncher 17 May 2017 21:09:32 13,752 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What was the significance of hiding the pill that dropped on the floor under his shoes?
    Now he knows what medication is being used is he going to switch the contents for something nefarious? Could that be how Hector ends up his damaged Breaking Bad self?
  • Mola_Ram 17 May 2017 23:24:17 15,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    It's not bad, but I do care less about it. There was less Mike in S1, and they've ramped it up since then with the "Breaking Bad prequel" stuff. Maybe because the executives decided that people wanted more BB, and encouraged the showrunners to give the cartel plots more focus.

Like this episode, we find out how Gus bought his laundry drug factory! Which was alright, but was it something that anyone was dying to know?

But yes, I've banged on about that too much at this point. I'll just have to accept the show for what it is. (and it's still fantastic)
  • Lukus 17 May 2017 23:29:32 20,790 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just watch it and enjoy it and stop worrying about what they should or shouldn't have included, jeez.
  • Mola_Ram 17 May 2017 23:45:54 15,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, this is a discussion thread about the show. If you don't want to discuss things like that, then maybe it's better to just not read it?
  • frightlever 18 May 2017 08:54:08 1,389 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    What was the significance of hiding the pill that dropped on the floor under his shoes?
    Now he knows what medication is being used is he going to switch the contents for something nefarious? Could that be how Hector ends up his damaged Breaking Bad self?
    Basically what I thought. Something similar to what Walt did with a ricin capsule pill in BB once, IIRC.
  • Salaman 18 May 2017 09:13:06 22,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The set-up for that one seems a lot more heavy handed than these guys normally do. Hector has a fit, needs his pills to calm it, right after he ordered Nacho to let him use his dad's business as a front for drug smuggling, which Nacho isn't too keen on.

Nacho will see as a possible route to shield his father and his father's business from 'the business' and land Hector in his wheelchair.

This episode felt a little different than the last 2.5 seasons. Rather than slow character development, we're suddenly in
    "and here how all things fell into place leading up to Breaking Bad!" territory.

Also ... something about Jimmy.

With a 12 month suspension hanging over the McGill part of Wexler and McGill and Saul Goodman out of the bag, I guess his pleas with the bar association is the last we saw of Jimmy McGill.
  • twelveways 18 May 2017 09:42:19 7,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think (hope) that the show will continue right up to the moment that Walt walks into his office, which is about halfway through season 2 of BB.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 18 May 2017 10:45:51 327 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was as huge fan of BB as any, but hell if I remember what was the thing Saul helped Walt with.
    Damn, I keep forgetting many memorable moments of BB but I do remember (unfortunately) the horrible scene with Gus in that drug factory.
  • twelveways 18 May 2017 10:47:35 7,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One of Walt's workers, Badger I think, got nicked.
  • Mola_Ram 18 May 2017 11:27:47 15,948 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still think the ultimate ending would be Saul in his office, being interrupted by a car crashing through the front door. Jesse opens the driver's door, and says "You gotta help me man, I pissed off some drug dealers and they messed with my car! I couldn't stop in time!" And then Saul says "So, would you say that your car is BRAKING BAD?!?"

Then they all laugh and pat each other on the back, Jesse turns to the camera and winks, roll credits. Perfect.
  • chopsen 18 May 2017 12:01:11 19,856 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We're still much further in the past than anything we saw in breaking bad though no? They were watching that ad they shot on VHS. That got to be a good few years before anything in BB....?
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 May 2017 12:04:18 4,910 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I still think the ultimate ending would be Saul in his office, being interrupted by a car crashing through the front door. Jesse opens the driver's door, and says "You gotta help me man, I pissed off some drug dealers and they messed with my car! I couldn't stop in time!" And then Saul says "So, would you say that your car is BRAKING BAD?!?"

Then they all laugh and pat each other on the back, Jesse turns to the camera and winks, roll credits. Perfect.
    Ah, the old fish fingers, chips and beans ending.
  • Salaman 18 May 2017 15:10:42 22,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    I was as huge fan of BB as any, but hell if I remember what was the thing Saul helped Walt with.
    Damn, I keep forgetting many memorable moments of BB but I do remember (unfortunately) the horrible scene with Gus in that drug factory.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF01eBAlBrQ
  • philreeduk 18 May 2017 16:19:40 433 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    We're still much further in the past than anything we saw in breaking bad though no? They were watching that ad they shot on VHS. That got to be a good few years before anything in BB....?
    The Whisky bottle that was given to Chuck puts the show currently in 2001. The pilot of BB was approximately September 2008 (http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline)

So we still have a little ways to go yet...
  • Zerobob 18 May 2017 17:04:50 1,916 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    RichDC wrote:
    Most likely in the minority at least.
    I could certainly watch Mike setting up clever traps with car gas caps and GPS devices for at least 5 hours, if not 6.
  • twelveways 18 May 2017 17:05:59 7,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That scene of him dismantling that car was amazing
  • Lukus 18 May 2017 22:18:40 20,790 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well, this is a discussion thread about the show. If you don't want to discuss things like that, then maybe it's better to just not read it?
    Maybe you could write your own episode? You clearly know how to do better than them.
  • ecu 18 May 2017 23:38:39 80,004 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love every minute of this show, I find it absolutely captivating. It's a pleasure to watch each week.
  • FuzzyDucky 19 May 2017 00:52:19 2,241 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I find the slow pace really shows how splendid the cinematography is.
  • up_the_ante 19 May 2017 02:50:28 302 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're still years away (in their world, maybe ours too) from catching up with the breaking bad storyline, yet all the actors look older than they did in BB. Some of them will be knocking on 10 years older by the point the timelines merge.
  • Frogofdoom 19 May 2017 10:29:12 5,753 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes, they should have sorted out time travel before making this prequel.
  • Salaman 19 May 2017 10:36:39 22,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are you all following the insiders podcasts?
    They were once supposed to be 40 or 45 minutes but they're now usually 75-80 minutes. They do waste 10 minutes in each one telling how amazing and talented various members of the cast and crew are but there's lots of interesting 'how the sausage is made' (as they like to call it) info in there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCab9hOn5MELbKB__AOU3RQ
  • monsieur-Cosmo 19 May 2017 11:10:57 327 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ^I'd love to but they seem to be too long. And I usually fall asleep listening to much shorter podcasts these days :)
  • Fab4 19 May 2017 18:19:35 8,116 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love the insider podcasts. Especially learning what jobs have what responsibilities. This week I learnt what an AD does. I previously thought they were just gophers for the director.
  • Salaman 22 May 2017 12:12:02 22,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wonderful, wonderful AD. She does such a great job. We're so lucky to have her.

I put it on whilst I'm at work and some of it sort of washes over me without taking much of it in. I like the insight in how they work out the storylines for the scripts better than the technical stuff on lighting and such but it's always entertaining.
  • Page

of 46 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.