Better Call Saul

• Page

of 41 First / Last

Previous
  • BinaryBob101 17 Oct 2013 16:58:53 26,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought I may as well start this thread with some great/possibly worrying news, that Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul will be occasionally appearing in cameo parts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/24564047

I miss Breaking Bad.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2013 17:11:06
    Spin-offs that have actually worked.

Frasier.

Um...
  • M83J01P97 17 Oct 2013 17:13:23 7,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Angel had its moments and ended stronger than Buffy did.

Caprica could have developed into something special if the show had been given a chance as well.
  • minky-kong 17 Oct 2013 17:20:23 12,855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Please, someone step in and cancel this.
  • BinaryBob101 17 Oct 2013 17:22:07 26,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Simpsons I suppose too. Angel was better than Buffy.

But yeah, this is more likely doomed to failure than success, sadly.

BCS could be Phantom Menace like in the goodwill shown towards Breaking Bad.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:23:04 17-10-2013
  • Aretak 17 Oct 2013 17:29:54 10,389 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Knowing Me Knowing You and all the Partridge that followed is surely the best example of a TV spin-off going right. The Colbert Report is better than the show that spawned it too. As was Stargate Atlantis. The first season of Millennium was really good as well, although it went right down the shitter after that.

Rock & Chips wasn't awful either... although the less said about The Green Green Grass...
  • Deleted user 17 October 2013 17:32:30
    Yeah, fair point on Alan Partridge.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2013 17:38:24
    Ugh, no. I was happy with the idea of this being a prequel set way before Breaking Bad, but appearances by Cranston and Paul suggest this'll be set during Breaking Bad. We don't need any more Walter White, as much as we'd like it. His story is done and settled. Shoehorning him into a comedy show is about as worthwhile as having Mr. Bean show up in Mad Men.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2013 17:39:43
    Doesn't really mean it will be set during BB. It'll just be cameos I'm sure.
  • SilentTristero 17 Oct 2013 17:42:37 438 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Presumably a 'Cameo' will refer to something more akin to Stan Lee in Marvel films, or Samuel L. Jackson in that recent S.H.I.E.L.D episode. Fine with that.

Happy to give the show a chance, too. It's not as if it can spoil Breaking Bad.
  • M83J01P97 17 Oct 2013 17:43:05 7,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They will be slightly odd cameos though seeing as Saul never encountered either character until the events of Breaking Bad, that and Walter was just a full teacher/car wash worker before as well.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2013 17:44:03
    I guess not, but still. Jesse had some contact with him prior to BB, but Walt didn't at all. About the only thing that would work for continuity prior to that would be "Saul passes them on the street", which to my mind seems more like a ratings pull - "SEE THE RETURN OF WALTER WHITE THIS EPISODE (sort of)" - than anything actually worth doing. Either that or some ridiculous retcon.
  • BinaryBob101 17 Oct 2013 17:49:16 26,502 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saul may need a car wash at some point.
  • neilka 17 Oct 2013 17:59:49 19,886 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    having Mr. Bean show up in Mad Men.
    COMMISSION x 26
  • Kostabi 17 Oct 2013 19:30:33 5,851 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I guess not, but still. Jesse had some contact with him prior to BB, but Walt didn't at all. About the only thing that would work for continuity prior to that would be "Saul passes them on the street", which to my mind seems more like a ratings pull - "SEE THE RETURN OF WALTER WHITE THIS EPISODE (sort of)" - than anything actually worth doing. Either that or some ridiculous retcon.
    It's going to be like when Stallone and Travolta cross paths in Staying Alive.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2013 19:35:33
    "tune in next week for more wacky adventures! You better call Saul!"

Every time I hear mention of this, breaking bad loses a place on my greatest shows ever list. Fucking stupid idea. This is either a black comedy based on the comedy relief character which is just going to feel wrong after bb. Or it is going to be a serious drama which just won't work with a comedy relief character in the main role.
  • AaronTurner 17 Oct 2013 19:37:52 9,192 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it sounds great
  • Humperfunk 17 Oct 2013 19:44:54 6,329 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Huge shame. Can't see this being anything other than being a blemish on Breaking Bad.
  • CharlieStCloud 17 Oct 2013 19:45:32 5,820 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remain cautiously optimistic however, let's judge the programme when it is, you know ... on television!
  • chopsen 17 Oct 2013 20:22:10 19,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    "tune in next week for more wacky adventures! You better call Saul!"

Every time I hear mention of this, breaking bad loses a place on my greatest shows ever list. Fucking stupid idea. This is either a black comedy based on the comedy relief character which is just going to feel wrong after bb. Or it is going to be a serious drama which just won't work with a comedy relief character in the main role.
    The premise of BB was actually quite darkly comedic. "Chemisty teacher finds out he has cancer so starts making hard drugs" practically screams that it needs "with hilarious consequences!!!!" at the end of it.

Saul is actually a tragic character anyway. He, after all, a proper lawyer who has been reduced to ambulance chasing and being dragged in to criminal endeavours. The character often gives glimpses how he clearly resents all this. How many times does he loose his temper?
  • M83J01P97 17 Oct 2013 21:04:46 7,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    stryker1121 wrote:
    This doesn't sound like a great idea. Will the last scene of the series be Saul leaving the vacuum cleaner repair shop and the ABQ for good? Much prefer a follow-up to BB with Saul rebuilding his life in Shithouse Falls, Nebraska, or wherever he washes up.
    That's actually kind of what I hoped the series would do after the BB finale, I think there is a lot more potential in showing Saul really out of his element in the middle of nowhere trying to make a new life for himself.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 21:07:07 17-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 18 Oct 2013 00:17:29 15,146 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It sounds great to me, I don't understand why people are being so negative about it. Gilligan will be heavily involved, and we'll probably be able to see Huell again!

Walt could walk by in one scene, do a little wink at the camera.
  • drhickman1983 18 Oct 2013 00:37:24 4,582 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sceptical that the spin off will work, but I'm not writing it off until I see it.

Breaking Bad was a funny show. Especially in the first couple of seasons, but even in the later episodes there was a thread of black humour. The team understand "funny".

I don't see why they can't explore a more "serious" side to Saul. Hell, they'll have to if they're going to make hour long (well, 40 minutes after adverts are removed) shows.

The thing that I'm most concerned about is the possibility of cameos, can't see how they could be written in without it feeling shoe-horned.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Oct 2013 01:00:48 15,146 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, it's been established that some of the characters already knew Saul before BB. Jesse, Mike, Gus at the very least. Having then appear from time to time wouldn't be gratuitous.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2013 12:46:27
    I really do not want to see anymore of Walt or Jesse but am really looking foward to the idea of better call Saul. I saw an interview with Bob Odenkirk (I think the lincoln centre of film one) where he was describing Saul's average day.

Bob put a great argument across of why it should be a prequel stating that in his mind Saul has been a defence attorney for years looking for his whale client. The master criminal who is going to make him millions, when Saul meets walt and sees his product he thinks this is the guy. So before that would be the daily acts of dealing with the idiots that are the rest of his clients.
  • estoo 18 Oct 2013 12:50:37 2,880 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have to add Still Game and Rab C Nesbitt as successful spin off shows!
  • Whizzo 18 Oct 2013 12:58:47 44,730 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:So before that would be the daily acts of dealing with the idiots that are the rest of his clients.
    The website launched ages ago but I think this is the sort of direction the show will be going, daft stuff rather than anything too serious.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.