So you bought a gaming PC.... What next?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 08:54:47
    Bit weird throwing this up after the fact but I just built a gaming PC and now I'm looking for stuff to try on it. My last two years of gaming have been on a business laptop and a Vita so I've been limited to low-end indie stuff only and I'm now looking for stuff to try.

So, what's interesting out there? I'm not bothered about FPS stuff unless it's trying something different (so yes to stuff like Mirror's Edge, Gone Home & Miasmata but a fat no to combat stuff like Crysis, BF, Metro).
  • DamoVotf 14 Oct 2013 08:56:43 615 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apart from not liking FPS, what type of games do you like?
  • Carlo 14 Oct 2013 08:59:43 18,182 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Civ 5.
    Burnout Paradise (if you can lay your hands on a 360 controller).

How 'gaming' is this PC?

PSN ID: Djini

• MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Oct 2013 09:03:01 39,404 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Check out some free to play stuff? Star Trek Online, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 (I know you said no combat stuff but...) and what have you. There's a whole f2p category in Steam.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:05:21
    Almost anything else. Racers, RPGs, RTS... and some that don't start with "R". But that said I'm almost always more interested in "new/experimental" than anything established. Almost doesn't matter to me what genre it is as long as it carries off what it's trying well enough.

I mentioned Miasmata up there, I'm definitely keeping an eye out for a sale on that, and I fancy trying AntiChamber too.
  • Carlo 14 Oct 2013 09:06:44 18,182 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Check out some free to play stuff? Star Trek Online, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2 (I know you said no combat stuff but...) and what have you. There's a whole f2p category in Steam.
    If you really want a sobering experience play Rift (it's FTP MMO) on it's highest settings and watch even the fastest systems fall to their knees! It's due to being unoptimised more than anything!

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:07:59
    Carlo wrote:
    Civ 5.
    Burnout Paradise (if you can lay your hands on a 360 controller).

How 'gaming' is this PC?
    I have a free copy of Civ5 just provided by the Golden Joysticks vote so I'm up for that, and Burnout Paradise was one of the first things I installed on the PC too :-)

As for how "gaming"... it's an i5 with a 7870.
  • Carlo 14 Oct 2013 09:08:09 18,182 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    I fancy trying AntiChamber too.
    That's really good! Get onto the Prison Architect beta too (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_Architect)!

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:08:44
    @MrTomFTW Ah, cheers, I forgot about trying F2P.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Oct 2013 09:09:35 39,404 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was quite disappointed with Antichamber. It gets to the point where it's not clear which of the rooms you're meant to progress in. Which is kind of the point I know, but it seems like EVERY room is not quite doable meaning you spend a lot of time wondering if you're just bashing your head against the wall for no good reason.

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:12:35
    I watched the Giant Bomb QuickLook of AntiChamber and I got that impression so I'd go into it knowing what to expect, at least :-)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Oct 2013 09:13:27 39,404 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Me too.

• DamoVotf 14 Oct 2013 09:14:36 615 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well as Tom says there are a crowd of us which play DOTA 2 and there are quite a few other free to play.

I dont like FPS either and recently I been playing:
    Star Craft 2
    Tropico 4
    Prison Architect (Alpha)
    Civ5 is really good but slow paced I find.
    Sins of a Solar Empire is a good space 4TS.

I have loads of other games just cant think of them now.
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Oct 2013 09:17:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I've been wanting to play my copy of that for ages but my Craptop catches fire if I try to run it.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:20:47
    DamoVotf wrote:
    Well as Tom says there are a crowd of us which play DOTA 2 and there are quite a few other free to play.

I dont like FPS either and recently I been playing:
    Star Craft 2
    Tropico 4
    Prison Architect (Alpha)
    Civ5 is really good but slow paced I find.
    Sins of a Solar Empire is a good space 4TS.

I have loads of other games just cant think of them now.
    Ooh, forgot about Tropico. I have 3 but have never been able to run it. And surprisingly SotSE actually runs fine on a non-gaming machine so I've already played it :-)
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:22:28
    Blerk wrote:
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I've been wanting to play my copy of that for ages but my Craptop catches fire if I try to run it.
    Started it last night :-) So far it feels a little familiar as it has a very similar vibe to Cthulhu: Dark Corners but I'm enjoying it
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Oct 2013 09:23:00 35,800 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd recommend Dark Souls, but as far as I know, it's still uncertain what will happen when GfWL is finally switched off in early 2014.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Oct 2013 09:25:48 8,006 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wait for a Steam sale, and buy everything.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 09:31:13
    UncleLou wrote:
    I'd recommend Dark Souls, but as far as I know, it's still uncertain what will happen when GfWL is finally switched off in early 2014.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Demon's Souls on the PS3 but I'm not sure how willing I am to go back into it. Besides, isn't Dark Souls 2 out soon?
  • Waffleaber 14 Oct 2013 09:46:02 447 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Wait for a Steam sale, and buy everything.
    Yep. Honestly the F2P section on Steam, Civ 5 you already own and a couple of dirt cheap Humble Bundles should see you through to the Christmas sale. You'll have a hundred game backlog like the rest of us in no time.

Edited by Waffleaber at 09:46:11 14-10-2013
  • Salaman 14 Oct 2013 11:13:07 19,493 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Xcom Enemy unknown?
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 11:16:06
    Starcraft 2 and Heart of the swarm.
  • DamoVotf 14 Oct 2013 11:35:21 615 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Xcom Enemy unknown?
    This is actually superb.
  • neems 14 Oct 2013 11:41:35 1,393 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Have you played the Portal games?

Various TrackManias.

Another vote for XCOM.

Crusader Kings 2 / Europa Universalis 4

Witcher 2 / Fallout / New Vegas / Skyrim

Ruse / Wargame

Hah just realised I have a giftable copy of Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 : Retribution. Quite a name, but it's a good game (RTS, if you're not familiar with the series). It's yours if you want it.
  • trampstar 14 Oct 2013 11:50:27 70 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know you said no fps, but bioshock infinite is a masterpiece. Or any one the bioshocks to be honest.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 12:10:32
    Cheers for the suggestions chaps :-)

@salaman - will deffo try Xcom, thanks :-)

@neems - Yep, done both Portals (they work on laptop, as does most Source stuff) and also played Trackmania a long time ago. Crusader Kings 2 I have thanks to an indie bundle going on at the mo, and I got a free copy of Witcher (1) from GOG over the weekend. Fallout and New Vegas are on my "worst games ever" shitlist but I fancy Skyrim so that's on my wishlist now. Haven't tried Ruse or Wargame so will look out for those.

And cheers for the offer but throw it in the swaps thread if you need a taker - the THQ bundle gave me the first WarHammer 40k to play so I'll try that one first :-)

@trampstar - the first Bioshock was probably the final nail in the "trying to learn how to enjoy FPS games" coffin. So I'll give that a miss, thanks :-D
  • Rhaegyr 14 Oct 2013 12:20:30 2,670 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    XCOM, Dark Souls and Witcher 2 for sure.

Some that others haven't mentioned - Torchlight 2, Total War: Shogun 2, Psychonauts, Gunpoint, Company of Heroes and Sang-Froid are great.

Most of my PC time gets eaten up by rogue-like games at the moment so, if you haven't played them, I'd definitely recommend FTL, Binding of Isaac, Teleglitch and Spelunky.

I'd recommend Tribes: Ascend or Natural Selection 2 in the FPS department but I don't know if you'd consider them different enough to the ones you're tired of.

Hope you're enjoying the PC!

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:21:11 14-10-2013
  • silentbob 14 Oct 2013 12:29:58 29,025 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah, so you need an Oculus Rift.

As for excluding Crysis and Metro for ? tryhardlol.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 12:43:13
    @rhaegyr - Will be trying Torchlight 2 (already own) as it wasn't laptop friendly, have already played Psychonauts and CoH but I'll look out for Sang-Froid

And yes, have played the others in your roguelike list - I'm a big fan of that kind of game ;-)

@silentbob Rift order will be placed next year :-)

As for Crysis and Metro, what do you mean? I played a bit of Metro 2033 yesterday and it looks *amazing* with all the shinies turned on but I found it to be boring FPS-fare. I have a copy of Crysis 2 to try but I'm not really expecting much out of it if I'm honest. I tend not to be a fan of stories that are told through bullets :-)
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Oct 2013 13:11:22 35,800 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you like loot-em-ups like Torchlight 2, I recommend Path of Exile. It will get a Steam release next week (although it's been in a very polished open beta state for ages, available on its website), it's free (F2P done right, without any reservations), and while I liked Diablo 3 a lot, it's arguably closer related to D2 than D3 was.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:11:55 14-10-2013
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous