PS3 super slim vs Xbox 360

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • medoos 13 Oct 2013 23:42:18 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hello,

I want to get new console, and I do not know which one is better, PS3 SSlim, or XBox360.

I read many reviews for both of them.
    PS3 sslim has a problem in the noise during rotating the DVD.
    Some reviewers say that Xbox360 do not support 1080p, even though I read in some places that it does support the 1080p natively.

I want the console basically for fifa2014 and I have a Full HD TV.

Any recommendation?
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Oct 2013 23:46:55 11,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    medoos wrote:
    Hello,

I want to get new console, and I do not know which one is better, PS3 SSlim, or XBox360.

I read many reviews for both of them.
    PS3 sslim has a problem in the noise during rotating the DVD.
    Some reviewers say that Xbox360 do not support 1080p, even though I read in some places that it does support the 1080p natively.

I want the console basically for fifa2014 and I have a Full HD TV.

Any recommendation?
    The one which has the most games you want.
    The one that your friends play on
    The one which has the controller you prefer.

The difference between them in FIFA2014 will be barely noticeable.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• medoos 13 Oct 2013 23:51:58 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    thanks for the reply.
    What about the noisy PS3 SSlim ?
    IS that true ?
    After seeing this video "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV0np5bN_ts", i am a little bit leaning to 360.
  • ED209 14 Oct 2013 00:41:12 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I could go back and do it all again, I'd go PS3 this time. To avoid the annual Xbox live Gold charge.

Samantha Janus?

• OptimusPube 14 Oct 2013 01:04:57 3,148 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you're wanting to play FIFA online then PS3 is a no brainer, online play is free on the PS3.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 01:17:53
    Due to PS Plus I'd choose the PS3 without hesitation. Or if that doesn't interest you, then free online play. Plus a BluRay player.

The drive is noisy-ish on the Super Slim, but for digital content it's very quiet.
  • FuzzyDuck 14 Oct 2013 02:48:10 4,355 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 360 does allow complete disc installs; mine is barely audible when running a game.

My PS3's laser head sounds an old printer when it's seeking data. If you're only looking to play FIFA (which is a game that typically has a lot of data seeking because of the ingame commentary and lack of install) the PS3 will be the louder of the two by some margin. And it's an intermittent stuttering, which makes it even more noticeable.

If I were in your situation, I'd go with the 360, but I do think the PS3 has a better catalogue of exclusives, online is only marginally inferior to Xbox Live but it's free, and PS+ is some of the best value in gaming.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 14 Oct 2013 06:33:00 38,728 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd say at this point, so late in the generation, the PS3 is probably the one to go for thanks to the Blu Ray player and PS+.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• ubergine 14 Oct 2013 06:52:12 2,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That noisy disc drive thing helped talk me out of it. I was sorely tempted to get a PS3 bundle with GTAV, The Last of Us and Beyond Two Souls with my stash of next-gen-trade-credit from ditching 360.

Pros were:
    best value ever with those games
    I need a blu ray player

Cons were:
    Was deliberately trying to have a break from games
    PS3ss is a very unappealing, cheap and nasty design
    I remember that I dislike the controller a great deal

I think if the PS3ss wasn't so nasty - I had a look over one of their second hand ones in the shop - I probably would have got it despite the bad controllers.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• CharlieStCloud 14 Oct 2013 09:30:49 5,289 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, you always look at the console when you are playing games.

... if only they weren't so HIDEOUS!
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Oct 2013 10:02:40 8,349 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    360 was may main console this generation but for me the only choice at this stage of the console life would be the PS3.
  • robthehermit 14 Oct 2013 10:43:01 4,170 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love my Xbox, but if I was buying a console today, it would be the PS3. PS+ and The Last Of Us make it a no brainer.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• ubergine 14 Oct 2013 11:01:56 2,533 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

It is when it's on the desk next to the monitor.

At the store they advised me not to stand it vertically because the flimsy drive cover can slide open and the disc rocket out. I wasn't too worried that might happen, but it definitely is a flimsy and ugly piece of shit, a huge step down from the previous two models.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• dominalien 14 Oct 2013 11:04:07 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

It is when it's on the desk next to the monitor.

At the store they advised me not to stand it vertically because the flimsy drive cover can slide open and the disc rocket out. I wasn't too worried that might happen, but it definitely is a flimsy and ugly piece of shit, a huge step down from the previous two models.
    I've... never had that happen in the 6 months I've had the console. Sounds like bull crap to me.

PSN: DonOsito

• TheMayorOfJugs 14 Oct 2013 11:08:32 4,028 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @dominalien I think you're right. We nees to bait the fanboy, lure him out.

My brother has a super slim and stands it vertically, never once a problem with it. It gets sad when fanboys call it ugly though.
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Oct 2013 11:14:00 5,289 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    At the store they advised me not to stand it vertically because the flimsy drive cover can slide open and the disc rocket out.
    Never have I heard such horseshit!

... got the azurite blue PlayStation 3 myself, and whilst not quite as 'premium' as the model before, it looks nicer than the standard piano black one. There's a scarlet red one too, if that takes your fancy.

If looks bother you so much, cover it with one of these:

• Deleted user 14 October 2013 11:46:03
    Is the slim ps3 really that loud? I own the phat one and its pretty decent...
  • Moot_Point 14 Oct 2013 12:06:38 4,360 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    I love my Xbox, but if I was buying a console today, it would be the PS3. PS+ and The Last Of Us make it a no brainer.
    Traitor! :D

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• dominalien 14 Oct 2013 12:09:09 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    Is the slim ps3 really that loud? I own the phat one and its pretty decent...
    I have mine behind the display and the drive noise, while audible if I go looking for it (head seeking especially) has never once bothered me during gameplay.

• bladdard 14 Oct 2013 12:40:19 978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd get a PS3 because free online and Sony will continue to support it for the next few years. If track record is anything to go by Microsoft will drop the 360 shortly after they release the XBOne.
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Oct 2013 12:45:00 5,289 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bladdard wrote:
    If track record is anything to go by, Microsoft will drop the Xbox 360 shortly after they release the Xbox One.
    They already have!

... it is purely a third party system now, ever since Gears of War: Judgement came out a shy over seven months ago.
  • Penguinzoot 14 Oct 2013 12:50:33 487 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    bladdard wrote:
    If track record is anything to go by, Microsoft will drop the Xbox 360 shortly after they release the Xbox One.
    They already have!

... it is purely a third party system now, ever since Gears of War: Judgement came out a shy over seven months ago.
    I think there is a degree of truth in that. However, I think we'll see 3rd parties supporting both the PS3 and 360 for some time. The installed current-gen user base is such that they won't ignore it.
  • medoos 16 Oct 2013 19:12:16 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Based on this valuable discussion in this thread, I've ordered PS3 SS :D
    Thanks for all.
  • Deleted user 16 October 2013 19:23:49
    @dominalien Agreed, my Super Slim has never bothered me, and I am sensitive to noise. My previous 320gb Slim was a lot louder. The fans were always audible, so was the disk drive.

The Super Slim's fans are near silent, and the disk drive on mine is a constant high speed whirr that you get used to, not the intermittent clunking that can be annoying, and it's nowhere near as loud as the jet engine 360 drive.

Plus I even prefer the look of it. The normal Slim is fucking horrible, just a bug ugly hunk of plastic, the Super Slim looks much nicer and sleeker.
  • RightBean 16 Oct 2013 19:26:52 661 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    bladdard wrote:
    They already have!

To be fair though, Sony bought up half a billion game studios this generation. Otherwise they would not be able to split resources so easily would they. They are equally as next-gen focused on as MS are.

But, it's strange to conclude that a company would be eager to drop a profitable product, simply because they dropped an unprofitable one in the past

Just thought i'd throw a little logic and rationality in here
  • -cerberus- 16 Oct 2013 19:31:27 3,159 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ever since I bought a PS3SS, my X360S has been gathering dust (it used to be my primary gaming system). Very happy with the SS!

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• FuzzyDuck 16 Oct 2013 20:56:49 4,355 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rumblesushi
    Agreed, my Super Slim has never bothered me, and I am sensitive to noise. My previous 320gb Slim was a lot louder. The fans were always audible, so was the disk drive.

The Super Slim's fans are near silent, and the disk drive on mine is a constant high speed whirr that you get used to, not the intermittent clunking that can be annoying
    That's pretty interesting...

The intermittent noise from my 320Gb Slim absolutely kills some games for me (largely open world ones, and the new Sly Racoon is constantly accessing the disc for some reason too).

Reckon it's worth an upgrade? I intend to hang onto the PS3 when I eventually get a PS4 (was my main console this gen, have loads of digital purchases and it's a semi-decent media player), but the 360 is getting the heave-ho.
  • dominalien 16 Oct 2013 21:12:45 7,021 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You certainly seem confused. :-)

• medoos 16 Oct 2013 23:30:30 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @graysonavich what do you mean :) ?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous