Backwards compatibility

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • -anon 13 Oct 2013 12:39:17 46 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Technically, is there any hope of this being implemented in future, either for both Xbox 360 and Xbox games, or just Xbox 360 games?
  • altitude2k 13 Oct 2013 12:43:05 4,876 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    On-console? No. Pointless, really. People always want it for a year or so after the transition, but demand dies off pretty quickly, and doesn't warrant developing the pretty complex emulation like they did on the 360 for Xbox games.

It takes up more space, but just continue to use a 360 for a few years until all you want to play is new XBO games.
  • ubergine 14 Oct 2013 07:00:26 2,860 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The early rumours years ago was that they would have a cheap device to piggy back on the Xbone that was essentially a micro 360. I quite liked that idea.

The lack of BC with X1 had the opposite effect that Microsoft intended though. Instead of making me have to keep my 360 to keep my digital library, it lead me instead to go "you know what? fuck these guys" and ditch the whole library altogether, which frees me up to choose between X1 and PS4.

if by some dark magic I even end up having dual consoles - for the first time ever - multi platform games will be on PS4 hand down. This is extraordinarily unlikely from a financial aspect, but I am finding X1 has a handful of exclusives that demand my attention.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• muttler 14 Oct 2013 12:28:40 4,286 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It would have been really nice and convenient to have bc with the Xb1, but at the end of the day if all I have to do is keep my 360 (which is worth fuck all anyway), then it's not such a big deal.

There is one problem though, the 360 and PS3 both launched with loads more games than either of these next gen consoles are launching with, they also had lots of games out in the first year. Games for the Xb1 and the PS4 are a bit thin on the ground this time round, and therefore bc would have been nice.
  • Moot_Point 14 Oct 2013 12:37:17 4,607 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    The early rumours years ago was that they would have a cheap device to piggy back on the Xbone that was essentially a micro 360. I quite liked that idea.
    +1
    Shame they had to drop it. I think they would have got more sales day one, heyho!

Edited by Moot_Point at 12:37:49 14-10-2013

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• nickthegun 14 Oct 2013 12:39:56 61,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    they would have been better off shoehorning that in than the kinect.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 14 Oct 2013 13:30:18 1,916 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know if it would have been financially viable, but surely they could have made a 360 emulator? Especially as the One runs a version of Win RT.

It's not too big a deal, for me at least (as I'll be keeping my 360), but anyone who's trading up wouldn't really have a large collection of games to play, and it's the kinda thing that can sweeten transition for some people.

Actually, if they did have BC, it might have tempted me to get one at launch, as I could still have finished playing Halo 4 in the front room (as the 360 is getting relegated once I get a One)!
  • MatMan562 14 Oct 2013 13:41:09 2,604 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    +1
    Shame they had to drop it. I think they would have got more sales day one, heyho!
    Isn't that kind of what the newest 360 is? It can be plugged into and played from the Xbox One, it's designed to look like one, it plays every 360 game and is relatively cheap (though I don't know how cheap exactly).

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Blerk Moderator 14 Oct 2013 13:42:28 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    I don't know if it would have been financially viable, but surely they could have made a 360 emulator? Especially as the One runs a version of Win RT.
    Financial viability's got nothing to do with it. Even if they could do it, at the end of the day the Xbox One isn't powerful enough to run a 360 emulator at anything even remotely approaching full speed and the architectures of the two machines are just too different to allow any meaningful cheats that might help speed things up.

Not so much "won't do" as "can't do". Not without a significant hardware component, anyway.

Edited by Blerk at 13:42:58 14-10-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 14 Oct 2013 13:45:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    (though I don't know how cheap exactly).
    ... it shares exactly the same RRP as the normal Xbox 360 gone before it.

The 'redesign' is the most pointless redesign ever. It actually take some features away from the previous model!
  • Moot_Point 14 Oct 2013 13:57:37 4,607 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    +1
    Isn't that kind of what the newest 360 is? It can be plugged into and played from the Xbox One, it's designed to look like one, it plays every 360 game and is relatively cheap (though I don't know how cheap exactly).
    So, umm, why are people saying that you can't play 360 games through the xbone?

I AM UTTERLY CONFUSED NOW!

My understanding of the feature is how you describe. When I first heard about it, I thought it was kind of a clever way of recouping the cost of the free 360 repairs.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Carlo 14 Oct 2013 14:02:45 18,219 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ubergine wrote:
    The lack of BC with X1 had the opposite effect that Microsoft intended though.
    I was going to say, if the xbox is like the playstation, there are many who have said "You know what, fuck your new console with no games on it (which you want 50+ for minimum), I'll keep this gen for another year and gorge on all the lovely games that are on it while you shit your pants and drop the prices"

PSN ID: Djini

• Britesparc Creative, ITV 14 Oct 2013 14:19:06 1,916 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    MatMan562 wrote:
    Moot_Point wrote:
    ubergine wrote:
    +1
    So, umm, why are people saying that you can't play 360 games through the xbone?

I AM UTTERLY CONFUSED NOW!

My understanding of the feature is how you describe. When I first heard about it, I thought it was kind of a clever way of recouping the cost of the free 360 repairs.
    You CAN plug an Xbox 360 into the HDMI-in port on an Xbox One, and play Xbox 360 games through that.

BUT apparently the port isn't really fast enough to support the twitch-demands of gaming, so there will probably be some degree of lag, and therefore MS don't recommend it.

Regardless of which version of the Xbox 360 you have, as long as it has an HDMI port, this should work.
  • Deleted user 14 October 2013 14:20:10
    Can you plug a PS4 into an X1?
  • ElNuevo9 14 Oct 2013 14:37:11 13,596 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Via the Ethernet ports, yes.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Retroid Moderator 14 Oct 2013 14:46:31 45,310 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's an incedibly bad decision, really, given XBLA & Games on Demand. Those products now have a definite shelf life limited to 360 hardware. BC was 'nice, but...' when it only applied to disks, but now? Missed opportunity for both sides.

No BC also means it's a clean break. I don't want any of its titles anywhere near enough to justify the price. Bye bye, Xbox.
  • MrFlay 14 Oct 2013 16:09:57 1,024 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Retroid

I agree. My next-gen requirements were full backwards compatibility and 1080p 60fps. Neither of which the next-gen consoles appear capable of but the Wii U is.
  • ubergine 14 Oct 2013 18:55:50 2,860 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't really have room on my desk for two consoles, so never instead end to keep a last-gen console next to a new one. I'd figured a device to allow BC on x1 would essentially be a small box with a dedicated port, and discs would go in the x1 disc drive. Mainly though it's about games I bought digitally. I tossed out hundreds of dollars of digital games and content when I dumped the 360. I found I was fine enough with never playing any of it again, but it hadn't left me kindly disposed to Microsoft, or the idea that I might start that process anew in their new console and possibly be screwed again down the track.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• xuiton 14 Oct 2013 19:19:50 297 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the 360 and ps3 have had pretty shit for games compared to the games of ps1 and ps2 of their generation. I wanted BC when I first got a ps3 but IF i do get a ps4, I couldn't care less for any games to carry over.

this current gen has been completely crap compared to the previous ones.
  • beastmaster 14 Oct 2013 19:32:00 11,981 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BC is long gone. I keep thinking I'll go back to some games on the 360 when this comes out but the reality will be a won't.

Hey it's new! It's shiny! COD and FIFA will be available on launch. What more could you want? :D

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• oceanmotion 14 Oct 2013 19:44:49 16,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It would be nice but it does tend to be forgotten when new games come out. I deleted most of my XBLA games because I won't play them again. Games are becoming a service so your unlikely to have much of a history going forward, onto the next new thing. I suppose x86 might mean BC is common going forward but they might end up going ARM next time. I think you will pretty much live or die by servers now. They want control.

Shadow Complex 2!, Shadow Complex who..

Edited by oceanmotion at 19:46:15 14-10-2013
  • Jmog 15 Oct 2013 22:00:09 407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MrFlay wrote:
    @Retroid

I agree. My next-gen requirements were full backwards compatibility and 1080p 60fps. Neither of which the next-gen consoles appear capable of but the Wii U is.
    Why on earth would you set demands you know will not be met? We've known for more than a year that BC was off the table. And even though it would be nice to have, it would have been suicide for MS and Sony. The price of the consoles would have to be increased by something like 100. You might be willing to pay that premium. The majority of consumers wouldn't.

As for 1080p and 60fps, of course the hardware is capable. The current gent consoles have that capability too. It's completely in the hands of the developers though. The Wii U is in no way more capable of doing 1080p@60fps than the next gen consoles. It just so happens that the primary publisher/developer (Nintendo) mandates it for the majority of its own games.
  • sega 15 Oct 2013 22:26:05 908 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it's time we got upgradable consoles instead of this generation thing we have now. We spend thousands on games for five or six years and then just wipe the slate clean and start again.

Is it just me who finds this ridiculous? I can't say I'm looking forward to the current generation consisting of a handful of titles and the entirety of gaming history, up to this very day, being relegated to retro obscurity.
  • Rodney 15 Oct 2013 22:55:37 1,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sega

Are you suggesting some kind of 32X or add on CD-ROM peripheral?
  • Whizzo 15 Oct 2013 22:59:18 43,352 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The PC says "hello."

This space left intentionally blank.

• BeardedGamerUK 15 Oct 2013 23:00:29 1,627 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Backwards compatibility is fun for a while but the novelty wears off soon enough.
  • sega 15 Oct 2013 23:02:22 908 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodney I knew someone would mention 32X or something in the next post. Meant more like removing and replacing internal parts every few years or so.

PCs have worked that way since the beginning. Surely it's time we had a simplified way of doing that for the home console market.
  • ED209 15 Oct 2013 23:04:15 505 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    @sega

Are you suggesting some kind of 32X or add on CD-ROM peripheral?
    Don't be fucking idiot. He means: this

Samantha Janus?

• King_Edward 15 Oct 2013 23:05:10 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's always nice to have it. There's always occasions I wanna go back and play old stuff.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous