Nintendo - sucking beyond redemption?

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Previous
  • Lync 1 Oct 2013 23:44:13 9 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bear with me...

    So, things got a bit heated in the Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze delay news comments, and made me realise just how hostile the general opinion on Nintendo seems, and I'm curious as to exactly what their games are missing so strongly at the moment, and why I'm so out of kilter with the average videogamer's opinions.

    Placing all my cards on the table - yes, I like nintendo, and I have a Wii U which I play a lot. However I'm not some blind follower, I found the conservativeness of their latest entries disappointing, and I've recently been playing more on my PS3 (GTAV) and gaming PC (mostly DOTA2).

    So in this thread the discussion began on how nintendo now have a pretty shit line-up to combat the onslaught of new competition. I replied, perhaps a bit too earnestly, that I consider Wii U to have the best line-up this winter, listing:

    Wind Waker HD,
    Sonic Lost World,
    Batman: Arkham Origins,
    Wii Party U,
    Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag,
    Call of Duty: Ghosts,
    Wii Sports Club,
    Lego Marvel,
    Watch Dogs,
    Wii Fit U,
    Super Mario 3D World,
    Adventure Time,
    Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics
    This comment has now been downvoted so much you can't even see it by default.

    Sure, these games aren't going to be to everyone's tastes, but I really can't see what the other consoles have that pushes them so far into superiority. As far as I can see, Wii U has the all most anticipated upcoming multiplatform releases except for Battlefield 4 (sure, they won't be the best versions, but that's another matter), and the most exclusives. Ignoring the quality or not of these exclusives for now, it seems a numerical fact there are more than the other consoles, certainly PS4 and xbox one, which were highlighted as having much better line-ups.

    So help me out here, what am I missing? Am I so out of whack with the eurogamer community I'm better of ignoring the comments?
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Oct 2013 23:50:47 10,569 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lync wrote:
    Bear with me...

    So, things got a bit heated in the Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze delay news comments, and made me realise just how hostile the general opinion on Nintendo seems, and I'm curious as to exactly what their games are missing so strongly at the moment, and why I'm so out of kilter with the average videogamer's opinions.

    Placing all my cards on the table - yes, I like nintendo, and I have a Wii U which I play a lot. However I'm not some blind follower, I found the conservativeness of their latest entries disappointing, and I've recently been playing more on my PS3 (GTAV) and gaming PC (mostly DOTA2).

    So in this thread the discussion began on how nintendo now have a pretty shit line-up to combat the onslaught of new competition. I replied, perhaps a bit too earnestly, that I consider Wii U to have the best line-up this winter, listing:

    Wind Waker HD,
    Sonic Lost World,
    Batman: Arkham Origins,
    Wii Party U,
    Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag,
    Call of Duty: Ghosts,
    Wii Sports Club,
    Lego Marvel,
    Watch Dogs,
    Wii Fit U,
    Super Mario 3D World,
    Adventure Time,
    Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics
    This comment has now been downvoted so much you can't even see it by default.

    Sure, these games aren't going to be to everyone's tastes, but I really can't see what the other consoles have that pushes them so far into superiority. As far as I can see, Wii U has the all most anticipated upcoming multiplatform releases except for Battlefield 4 (sure, they won't be the best versions, but that's another matter), and the most exclusives. Ignoring the quality or not of these exclusives for now, it seems a numerical fact there are more than the other consoles, certainly PS4 and xbox one, which were highlighted as having much better line-ups.

    So help me out here, what am I missing? Am I so out of whack with the eurogamer community I'm better of ignoring the comments?
    Stay clear of comments, post in the forum instead.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • beastmaster 1 Oct 2013 23:51:27 11,316 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In here perhaps

    http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/211137?start=28350

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • spamdangled 1 Oct 2013 23:52:08 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We already have an active WiiU thread, this might be better placed there.

    As for downvotes, who cares? It's like crying because the school dunce gave you a bad rating in a competition for "most stupid comment of the year". Personally I take them as a badge of honour. 90% of the time, the comments with the most downvotes are the most sensible and balanced.

    However, to answer your question, you're missing the fact that the front page is dominated by fanboys of various descriptions and trolls who will just neg things for the sake of negging things.

    And yes, you're better off ignoring the comments, by and large. There's only a small percentage of ones worth reading. I mainly go there out of morbid curiosity, it's sort of like watching a car crash in slow motion. Horrifying but compelling at the same time and part of you wonders what it's like to be in the middle of it, despite your better judgement. And no matter how many times you see it happening, a bit of you wonders if it will turn out different this time.

    Anyway, welcome to the forum :)

    Edited by darkmorgado at 23:54:48 01-10-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 1 October 2013 23:53:11
    Sadly, this thread will go down in flames.

    I like nintendo and their games. And i too, feel that Nintendo games, or the company themselves come under a scrutinity that is more intense than other gaming companies.

    People certainly like to talk about them. The zelda Wind waker review, and in general the responses they bring from commentators are more vocal than the a-typical news thread.

    Sadly, despite, i, and several others enjoying there games, because they are fun, they suffer from an image problems among, general gamers. Not mature enough, or violent enough, or simply, not fitting into the general direction the industry is going in.

    You know what, maybe perhaps as an hardware company, on the console front at least they are becoming irrelevant. I think its a case that young people are growing up with ps3 and 360's. Not with SNES and N64's.

    Nintendo are always talked about negatively. They have been doomed, since forever, for people that enjoy them, coming onto a forum, its sometime disheartning to see people, totally dismissing them.

    But the point is, if you enjoy nintendo games, there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy them and play the shit out of them.

    Edited by joelstinton at 23:55:08 01-10-2013
  • Deleted user 1 October 2013 23:53:53
    Alternatively - stop caring so much about which plastic and metal box has the better commercial games.
  • spamdangled 1 Oct 2013 23:56:04 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Alternatively - stop caring so much about which plastic and metal box has the better commercial games.
    Also this. Like what you like, and accept that other systems also have good games and your preferred system will also have bad games. Once you accept that, you learn that it's not about the systems you do or don't own, but about the games you may or may not like.

    Of course, then you sort of end up wanting to try everything that looks a bit interesting. But that's a whole other kettle of fish ;)

    Edited by darkmorgado at 23:58:45 01-10-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Pinky_Floyd 2 Oct 2013 00:09:06 7,679 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nintendo have been doing some FHUTA on folks girlfriends.  I cant think of any other explanation for the outright hostility.  I mean, its just a games console that plays games.  Baffled.  Funny though.
  • Pinky_Floyd 2 Oct 2013 00:10:33 7,679 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    PS You got downvoted for creating a list.  List = instant downvote.  Its the law.
  • Lync 2 Oct 2013 00:11:19 9 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Well, yes of course, in the end I'm just going to be playing what I enjoy and everyone else should do the same, it's ridiculous to claim anything else, and videogame website comments are of negligible importance.

    At the same time though gaming has become a major hobby for me over the past few years though, and as such it's kind of nice to discuss things with like-minded individuals, who'd you think might be around on a site which reports in a way you generally enjoy. It's frustrating then to try and get a conversation going but then feel as if your viewpoints are in fact so diametrically opposed that it's impossible to even reach ground on which to frame a debate.

    Regarding the Wii U thread, it seems harder to get such a broad contemporary discussion in something approaching 1000 pages long..?
  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:12:29 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    Nintendo have been doing some FHUTA on folks girlfriends.  I cant think of any other explanation for the outright hostility.  I mean, its just a games console that plays games.  Baffled.  Funny though.
    Didn't you get the memo? Nintendo use an actual, honest to god colour palette and make their games fun. That's almost forbidden to enjoy these days on pain of becoming a social pariah.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:15:16 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Lync

    Welcome to life on the internet ;)

    And nah, topics are raised and explored all the time. Individual games tend to get their own forum thread, while general discussion of a console and its potential/issues/direction tend to stick to the actual console thread with a degree of overlap. And obviously other non-gaming topics get regularly discussed as well, as a glance at the front page will tell you (are you using old-school view?).

    Just expect a bit of gentle (and not so gentle) banter, and people testing your boundaries until you bed in a bit. There's a degree of, for want of a better word, "hazing" that sometimes takes place, and a fair few in-jokes. You'll get through it, probably with more ease than I did!

    Edited by darkmorgado at 00:18:20 02-10-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Pinky_Floyd 2 Oct 2013 00:23:02 7,679 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What is hazing and how can I get some?
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Oct 2013 00:24:17 10,569 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lync wrote:
    Well, yes of course, in the end I'm just going to be playing what I enjoy and everyone else should do the same, it's ridiculous to claim anything else, and videogame website comments are of negligible importance.

    At the same time though gaming has become a major hobby for me over the past few years though, and as such it's kind of nice to discuss things with like-minded individuals, who'd you think might be around on a site which reports in a way you generally enjoy. It's frustrating then to try and get a conversation going but then feel as if your viewpoints are in fact so diametrically opposed that it's impossible to even reach ground on which to frame a debate.

    Regarding the Wii U thread, it seems harder to get such a broad contemporary discussion in something approaching 1000 pages long..?
    Gamers on the internet are fucking idiots.
    Everything is GOTY or incredibly shit with nothing in-between.
    Anything with colour is "kiddy".
    Any FPS with gruffed voice characters is "mature" etc. etc.

    Filter out the tards and enjoy the open minded enthusiasts.

    XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:26:12 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    What is hazing and how can I get some?
    Google it. But be prepared for possible nsfw.

    Those crazy americans...

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Lync 2 Oct 2013 00:32:12 9 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Moral of the story then, don't expect good discussion, or even reasoned debate, or even reason, from a comments thread. Kind of a shame as ideally they'd a be nice way of talking about news as it happens.

    Oh well, guess it was a bit much to expect more from the internet, even Eurogamer, and at least they're not like The Independent's environment or US story comments threads - yikes

    Edited by Lync at 00:32:46 02-10-2013
  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:38:03 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lync wrote:
    Moral of the story then, don't expect good discussion, or even reasoned debate, or even reason, from a comments thread.
    By jove, I think he's got it!

    It's not a universal rule, but one that tends to hold true more often than not, by and large. And not just on this site, across most sites in general.

    Oh also, if you see someone discussing a load of technobabble that contains absolutely zero sense or logic, intermingled with comments about the POWAH OF THE CELL and who may accuse you of being Richard Leadbetter, then you've met the resident nutter. He's largely harmless, just don't ask him for advice if anything you own isn't working properly. You'll end up attempting to build a warp drive when all you wanted to do was work out why Windows wasn't booting as fast as it used to.

    And also, just accept that you will fuck up sooner or later, and you will make a tit of yourself, but just deal with it and move on. Otherwise you will never live it down. Trust me on that one, I learned the hard way ;)

    Repeatedly.

    Edited by darkmorgado at 00:42:16 02-10-2013

    Edited by darkmorgado at 02:30:07 02-10-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 2 October 2013 00:42:15
    Come to think of it, comments do seem to be bad news. Just more angry and obnoxious than your average discussion on a forum. You only have to have a quick gander at youtube comments, or comments on many an article online, to realise that.
  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:43:39 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @rumblesushi

    Yeah, I think it's because they tend to attract the randoms, whereas the forum has largely built a wall of intimidating sarcasm around itself to dissuade people.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • richardiox 2 Oct 2013 00:45:19 5,578 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lync wrote:
    Bear with me...

    So, things got a bit heated in the Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze delay news comments, and made me realise just how hostile the general opinion on Nintendo seems, and I'm curious as to exactly what their games are missing so strongly at the moment, and why I'm so out of kilter with the average videogamer's opinions.

    Placing all my cards on the table - yes, I like nintendo, and I have a Wii U which I play a lot. However I'm not some blind follower, I found the conservativeness of their latest entries disappointing, and I've recently been playing more on my PS3 (GTAV) and gaming PC (mostly DOTA2).

    So in this thread the discussion began on how nintendo now have a pretty shit line-up to combat the onslaught of new competition. I replied, perhaps a bit too earnestly, that I consider Wii U to have the best line-up this winter, listing:

    Wind Waker HD,
    Sonic Lost World,
    Batman: Arkham Origins,
    Wii Party U,
    Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag,
    Call of Duty: Ghosts,
    Wii Sports Club,
    Lego Marvel,
    Watch Dogs,
    Wii Fit U,
    Super Mario 3D World,
    Adventure Time,
    Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics
    This comment has now been downvoted so much you can't even see it by default.

    Sure, these games aren't going to be to everyone's tastes, but I really can't see what the other consoles have that pushes them so far into superiority. As far as I can see, Wii U has the all most anticipated upcoming multiplatform releases except for Battlefield 4 (sure, they won't be the best versions, but that's another matter), and the most exclusives. Ignoring the quality or not of these exclusives for now, it seems a numerical fact there are more than the other consoles, certainly PS4 and xbox one, which were highlighted as having much better line-ups.

    So help me out here, what am I missing? Am I so out of whack with the eurogamer community I'm better of ignoring the comments?
    Like you say, most the games you listed will have superior versions available elsewhere, and with better online functionality (and playerbase) . With regard to exclusives, only Mario really stands out and even that appears to be a stop gap Mario release. 'ignoring the quality' is a ridiculous caveat on which to base your argument.

    Zelda is great but most of us played it ten years ago. Mario and Sonic Winter Olympics... Really? And isn't Wii Sports just an HD reissue of a game we all played 6 years ago?

    What's left? Wii Fit? Wii Party? Hardly appealing to core gamers. Like I say it's only Mario that really stands out, and this is a console that's had an extra twelve months game Dev time compared to the next gen machines.

    Q3/Q4

    PS3 has Beyond, GT6, Rain, GTA5 and TLOU.
    XB1 has Forza 5, Dead Rising, Killer Instinct and Peggle 2
    PS4 has KZ4, Drive Club, Resogun and Knack
    (360 exists purely as a multi platform machine now)

    WiiU can't compete with next gen or PS3 for software nor can it compete with 360 for price, online or back catalogue. It's also massively lacking in the online features the new consoles are bringing to the table (streaming etc). It has 32gb storage compared to 500 on next gen. It needs three different controllers to get the most out of it. And now most third party publishers have dropped it.

    To be honest I really can't see how anyone could rationally argue it's got the best line up this winter, especially without GTA, FIFA, BF4 and Mario as its only stand out AAA exclusive.
  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 00:49:49 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's not quite true. Sonic: Lost World is genuinely excellent. And Wind Waker HD earned a 10 on EG, which must count for something even if it is a remaster.

    When is MK8 out? Thought that was this year or am I wrong?

    Fair enough with the others though, I doubt people would be convinced by multiplatform titles.

    There is, however, an excellent lineup of exclusives already announced for next year.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Raiko101 2 Oct 2013 01:01:51 6,210 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As i've said already today, it's all about gaming tastes. Not a single one of the games Richardiox listed appeals to me at all. Well... With the exception of Rain. I've found that modern commercial gaming is moving away fromwhat appeals to me. Dark Souls, Oblivion, Fallout, Bioshock, Half Life, Uncharted, etc.. They either did nothing for me, or just don't interest me.

    3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 01:05:14 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    True. And I don't think Nintendo will achieve - or even care about - maintaining dominance. That's a pipedream this time round.

    What I do think they have a chance at, however, is a place as the defacto 2nd console under the tv alongside a PS4 or Xbox One.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 01:05:48 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But we're probably at the stage now where we should move this to the Wii U discussion thread.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • jambii267 2 Oct 2013 01:14:47 1,366 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Nintendo because unlike most other developers at the moment they seem to the only developer releasing games are actually finished.

    NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

  • spamdangled 2 Oct 2013 01:17:00 27,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like Nintendo because you pretty much know where you stand with them when it comes to games quality. Reviews of their games are almost redundant, as you can effectively guarantee any 1st party game will range from bloody amazing to very, very good with only the very occasional misstep.
    And for all of the criticism they get for their kooky ideas, they continue to lead the industry in many ways. Just look at the adoption of second stream gaming now - that is a case of Sony and MS following where Nintendo dared to go years earlier. Same with motion control. And even DLC and online gaming on consoles, which they pioneered back in the 80s, even if they have ever so slightly dropped the ball since that experiment.
    They have a daring that their competitors lack, even if they don't always get it right.

    Edited by darkmorgado at 01:58:56 02-10-2013

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Sid-Nice 2 Oct 2013 01:37:08 15,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought I'd read this thread while waiting for my Wii U System Update to download. :)

    Ok it's done. \o/

    NNID Sid-Nice

  • BeardedGamerUK 2 Oct 2013 01:45:51 1,358 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I've never stuck with one system to the exclusion of all others. I end up buying the lot eventually :) Never been all that bothered about Nintendo games though for some reason.
  • joeymoto108 2 Oct 2013 01:53:52 641 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    And yes, you're better off ignoring the comments, by and large. There's only a small percentage of ones worth reading. I mainly go there out of morbid curiosity, it's sort of like watching a car crash in slow motion. Horrifying but compelling at the same time and part of you wonders what it's like to be in the middle of it, despite your better judgement. And no matter how many times you see it happening, a bit of you wonders if it will turn out different this time.

    This applies to literally the entirety of the internet.

    Edited by joeymoto108 at 01:54:06 02-10-2013

    'Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?'

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply